NavDX positive test

Options
1234568»

Comments

• goffrey
    goffrey Member Posts: 42 Member
    Options

I should add so far all of my NavDx tests have been negative but we were discussing the test after I had a negative NavDx test but a PET-CT scan that showed uptake. I asked for a MRI instead of CT since the uptake was near the area I had previously had cancer but the CT part was not reliable due to dental artifact. The MRI showed nothing, scope showed nothing and my doctors went with that coupled with the negative NavDx. That was 9 months ago. I tend to have more faith in NavDx than Pet scans to some degree.

• Loghomeliver
    Loghomeliver Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Yes, that is exactly what we did. I do think without the NavDx we would not have even been looking in the right place . Liver mets are not the most common site. Good luck to you!

• Loghomeliver
    Options

I just wanted to post an update to my husband's story to provide a bit of encouragement to others who are battling this monster. My husband had a successful robotically assisted laparoscopic liver resection on April 15th for a single met following a rise in his Nav Dx level from 13 to 74 in a 3-month time period. I am happy to report that the surgery went very well, and the tumor measured only 2.1 cm at the largest point. The tumor margins were clean. He came home in 24 hours and was fully recovered in 10 days, with minimal pain. His Nav Dx score 3 weeks after surgery was ZERO, no cancer DNA detected. The medical oncologist explained treatment options; active surveillance with Nav Dx and scans, or immunotherapy. My husband decided to go with active surveillance, given the sensitivity that the Nav DX test has shown in his case. The oncologist did test for PDL-1 expression and the test was positive, meaning Keytruda could be used in the future should his Nav dx level start to go up. The oncologist felt active surveillance was the best option, since immunotherapy does not come without risks and side effects. He also did genomic testing and found out that down the road he could benefit from a few clinical trials if the cancer returns. If any of you are still questioning the value of Nav Dx testing, I urge you to talk to your physicians about it. I have no doubt it has had a huge positive impact in my husband's case.

• SmittyFromCuse
    SmittyFromCuse Member Posts: 85 Member
    edited May 21 #145
    Options

Thanks for sharing that loghomeliver. I have been told that my surgeon and radiologist don’t use NavDX for surveillance. Does anyone know if I can order the test on my own?

• Chillg8r
    Chillg8r Member Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Thats great news. I now go every 3 months for labs and a NavDX test and every 6 months for labs, scans and NavDX. FWIW, in case you ever do need to choose immunotherapy, except for Pembro killing my thyroid my experience with a Pembro clinical trial was great with minimal side effects. It allowed my body to kill all of the cancer that had metasticized into my lungs.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,312 Member
    edited May 21 #147
    Options

Thank you Loghomeliver for checking back in and sharing your husband"s success with eliminating cancer from his body once more and congrats to you folks for staying strong and vigilant with your husband's case. Above all, I would give a big shout-out to your doctors and care team. I would say their vigilance and sharpness are in the details of their patients including a couple of possible scenarios down the road that may not even occur but they are taking extra steps to prepare for it anyway. They know the meaning of the sooner you get the cancer treated the better and live it in their practice. Besides all that, his doctor also did genomic testing, imagine that. I love all the people who cared for me in my cancer situation and only have the best things to say about them and hold them in high regard. And we have all heard stories and maybe read some on here of scenarios where someone's doctors missed something or were not on top of their game and created issues and even serious consequences. But I must say you folks are sincerely Blessed with a care team and doctors second to none and I would thank God for Blessing you with them as your caregivers in this difficult situation of cancer. Hang on tight and never lose them.

Also, I was wondering how they found the tumor on your husband's liver, I would imagine it was a scan of some sort possibly a PET Scan, just curious because the NavDX shows presence, now the trick of finding the source.

With all that said…I Celebrate with you…

Take Care, God Bless

Russ

• Chillg8r
    Chillg8r Member Posts: 77 Member
    Options

I’m not sure if you can order it on your own but you could call NavDX and talk to them about it. Maybe they can talk to your oncologist?

• Loghomeliver
    Options

You probably cannot order it for yourself. I would call or email Naveris lab at (833)-NAVERIS / (833)-628-3747
    support@naveris.com and talk with them. They might have a physician referral service. Also, I would tell your doctor you want the test, even if they don't routinely order them. If they won't order it, I would seriously consider finding a new physician. I'm not sure where you are located, and they may be the only "game in town", but it is really important in my mind to get the test done.

• Loghomeliver
    Options

My husband's thyroid is low from the chemoradiation, and he is already on replacement meds, so no real worries there. I have read your posts and you were the one who actually gave me hpe! To hear that the Pembro worked was great. That may be in the future, so it was good to hear you did so well. If that is in the future for him, it is nice to hear from someone who did fine with the therapy and got good results. Blessings to you.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options

It would be like any other test your doctor would have to order it. Such as a blood test of any other kind is ordered by your doctor and any scan or test. If you can get any tests done by ordering them yourself it would be required for you to pay, without a doctor's order insurance probably would not pay any of it.

Wishing You The Best

Take Care, God Bless

Russ

• Loghomeliver
    Options

Yes, we are so blessed to be in Columbus and getting care at The James Cancer hospital. The radiation oncologist is the one who has ordered the Nav Dx every three months and when it increased sharply, he ordered a CT scan of the head and chest. There was something abnormal around the liver, but the report said that it could be artifact. The oncologist wanted to be sure, which led to the PET/CT and then the MRI. I am a retired RN, so I have been reading and studying everything I can. The genomic testing is all brand new, but it is so good to have someone who is on top of it. We know how fortunate we are to be so close to care. I know many people travel a long way just to get care and that is hard when you are in the midst of treatment and not feeling well. Thank you for your words of encouragement. We are trusting God for whatever the future holds and will take it one step at a time. It is so good to have this forum where we can get encouragement and knowledge from those who have 'walked in our shoes".