Triple Negative Breast Cancer

Options

Comments

• anne333
    anne333 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Congrats to you, RPStumpf! I finished Keytruda in February and am getting back to life finally. That's good advice to avoid the googling. Here's to your continued healing!

• lettie
    lettie Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I was also diagnosed with triple neg breast cancer in July. I had two mass in my right breast . My oncologist started me on chemo in Sept and discussed my options with surgery. I decided to have a double mastectomy , which I had at the end of April. I am now cancer free. I pray all goes well for you and you can get this over with and move on with life

• jwilke1067
    jwilke1067 Member Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I have been diagnosed with triple neg breast cancer. The dr told me I will have to undergo 6 months of chemo. It was not brought up about the genetic tests. Does the Oncologist order those and are those blood tests? The dr has not talked about using Keytruda, will the Oncologist make that determination?

• lettie
    Options

My Dr sent me for genetic testing. She was also the one who decided what different types of chemo for me. I had 3 months of 3 mixtures of chemo and then another 3 months of a different mixture of chemo. I was on keytruda but had problems with it and had to stop it. Prayers and best of luck to you. Stay strong

• jwilke1067
    Options

Hello Lettie,

Thank you for you response. How are you doing now? Did you get a port put in for the chemo? I pray you are getting close to being cancer free.

• lettie
    Options

I am doing great. I had a double mastectomy April20 and I am cancer free. Yes I had a port for my chemo and they were able to do labs from it. I pray all goes well for you and you can get back to living a happy , healthy life.

• jwilke1067
    Options

Oh I am so happy to hear you are cancer free!!! Thank you for your story, it gives me hop that all will go well with me.❤️

• RPStumpf
    RPStumpf Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Thank you! I have 3 more Keytruda infusions. There are some side effects: my legs are weak, painful. Doc says that should go away after I am done. I am also very tired! How did Keytruda affect you? How long til you started to feel normal? Thanks!

• anne333
    Options

Yay, RPStumpf! It's a good feeling to have only 3 left. I had those same side effects with my legs. It seemed like it got worse as time went on, with the final treatment being the most painful. I wore knee-high compression socks while I slept, and they helped a little bit. I also had some of the fatigue. And yes, your doctor is totally right. The leg pain goes away. Mine did after about a month. Fatigue can last a bit longer, but it's hard to tell if it's from the Keytruda or just the general trauma of aaaalll of this long process. I started feeling more normal about 3 months out. So you have plenty to look forward to! Here's to kicking cancer to the curb!

• jwilke1067
    Options

When the dr first told me my diagnosis and I started reading of the prognosis, I was very afraid. But, since being in this forum you ladies have given me the courage to expect a life after cancer.❤️

• jwilke1067
    Options

I will be posting my progress with the forum. I go Thursday to get my port.

• lettie
    Options

Take each day at a time and stay positive. Celebrate each success along the way. I pray all goes well for you

• anne333
    Options

Life after cancer definitely exists. Good luck with your port, jwilke1067! One step at a time. I'm sure you'll do great. :)

• RPStumpf
    Options

Thank you for that encouragement!! I so appreciate hearing that my experience is not unique, and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel! This forum has been really helpful. We need to have reminders that there can be life after cancer, and shared experiences are a little easier to bear. Blessings to you all!

• RPStumpf
    Options

The port has been wonderful for me. I have a hard time with blood draws normally. Several pokes, fishing around, etc. You get the idea! But with the port, I can go in and have them access it, draw blood for labs, and then do the infusion. Accessing it is not very painful at all, although I have them give me a lidocaine shot just in case. :-) It's a little unsettling to have it in, this odd thing, poking up out of your skin a little bit, but oh boy, it is worth it.

• chantac49
    chantac49 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I had triple negative as well. I agree with everyone. Positive energy and people will definitely help you through the process. Also if you have a daughter tell her so that she can get tested when it is time. I didn't have the gene but my biological mom had it as well. I am here for any thoughts you might have about this journey.

• anne333
    Options

Same here. My mom had it but genetic testing came back all clear. It’s good advice to have mothers/daughters tested and regular mammograms of course. Peace and love and healing to you.

• claoh
    claoh Member Posts: 162 Member
    Options

May I ask your ages? Did everyone have a double mastectomy? Not sure what I will proceed to do after diagnosis.

• lettie
    Options

I am 57. I did choose to have a double mastectomy because I don’t want to do this again. I could not have reconstruction surgery because I had gotten a blood clot so the dr recommended me not to do reconstruction. I will get my prosthesis next month.