Triple Negative Breast Cancer

Options

Comments

• jwilke1067
    jwilke1067 Member Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Thank you for the encouragement. I am determined to keep a positive attitude. I am going to change my diet to plant based. It is a big change, but I think I have eaten meat long enough, time to make a change.

Will visit again when I start my chemo. Be blessed and not stressed everyone. ❤️

• chantac49
    chantac49 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I am 49. I had a double mastectomy, that is the best choice, and I had reconstructive surgery too. I just passed the 2yr mark in April. Radiation was kind of rough at the end but I made it through.

• chantac49
    chantac49 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Now, I am working on the diet part...LOL...I love to eat!!! I feel like sometimes I'm part chicken and fish!! Take it at your own pace. It is definitely a big change but you got this all the way!!!!

• RPStumpf
    RPStumpf Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I just turned 60; started treatments a little over a year ago. I had carboplatin and taxol 12 weeks; then AC 12 weeks; keytruda throughout. Lost my hair, definitely very tired, sometimes didn't feel good. But the tumor shrank, then disappeared! And my hair is back (curly- for the first tine in my life).

Then I had surgery. At first I wanted a mastectomy--heck, I wanted a double mastectomy. But then I read (and surgeon confirmed) that in my case, a lumpectomy-would be just as effective. So I did that. Still a bit painful as it heals, 5 months later; but it's getting better.

A month after surgery I had radiation for a little over a month. Keytruda for 6 months after radiation. Done July 7; I can hardly wait.

Pray it through, hang tough, keep a sense of humor, and rest when you need it. Be kind to yourself. You can do this.

• jwilke1067
    Options

I read a book that suggests the Alkaline diet is best for cancer patients. Is anyone using that diet. And if so, how is it working?

Right now I am trying to stay on a pescatarian diet.

• jwilke1067
    Options

I am so glad you got over the hard parts!! Keep strong and pressing on!!

• jwilke1067
    Options

My onc told me I am between stages 1 and 2 depends on how much of lymph nodes are involved. He said he saw two lymph nodes involved and hopefully they have stayed the same. Were you on any special diet when you wre taking chemo? I read a book suggesting an alkaline diet.

• jwilke1067
    Options

Hello Lettie,

I did get my port in and start chemo on Tuesday. Did you follow a certain diet while taking chemo?

• lettie
    lettie Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

No I didn’t. I had low potassium so tried to eat foods high in potassium .

• jwilke1067
    Options

Well, thank you for that information. I went this past Wednesday to get my first blood test. So, I guess I will get those results when I go on Tuesday after Memorial Day for MY FIRST CHEMO FIX!

• lettie
    Options

Thoughts and prayers all goes well. They had me bring ice packs or baggies of ice for my feet and hands. This helps from getting neuropathy in them. Just a suggestion for you.

• jwilke1067
    Options

Yes, that is what the nurse told me. I read it also helps to use a cold cap for your hair also. I will look online to order those. Thank you.

• lettie
    Options

Yes I saw that but didn’t try it. I had hair pass my shoulders and when I found out I had cancer and needed chemo, I had it cut short so when it started falling out it wouldn’t be so drastic. My hair hurt so bad after the 3rd treatment and had started falling out so bad they I shaved it to make it feel better. It has started growing back and is really soft and almost white.

• jwilke1067
    edited January 4 #55
    Options

Iam getting radiation now, have had 34 treatments and the area is very sore and I have 2 open spots. The dr wants me to get the additional 2 treatments, but I cannot go forward it is too painful. He wants me to take a new med that begins with a C. It has the smae side effects as chemo.

• jwilke1067
    Options

My dr wants to start me on capecitabine. Has anyone taken this. How has Keytruda helped with triple negative breast cancer. I would like to hear some comments.

• anne333
    anne333 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Hi jwilke. I don't know about capecitabine, but I was on Keytruda for a year, with dosages every 3 weeks. So I had it during chemo (Taxol) and then afterward by itself. It doesn't have the side effects that chemo has. No nausea, no constipation, etc. Of course your case may be different, but I found Keytruda to be a walk in the park. And my results were outstanding. I achieved PCR, no signs of cancer. I hope your case is the same! Best of luck to you!

• jwilke1067
    Options

Thank you for your reply. I am going to ask my doc if he will put me on Keytruda also. Because I want to achieve PCR! Do you stick to a certain diet since cancer? I know I have read that sugar is a stimulator for cancer.

• jwilke1067
    Options

I see a lot of you took Keytruda after chemo and radiation and it worked for you. I will try to ask my Oncologist to prescribe that for me.

• anne333
    anne333 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I have always had a pretty good diet. Because I have a family history of heart disease, I stopped eating meat and just did a fish (pescatarian) diet for the past 15 years. That being said, I still got cancer. So I think everyone's body operates best in a certain way and you just have to find the right way for you, within reason of course. I don't think sugar is good for anyone but I didn't necessarily cut it out. I wish I had more guidance on nutrition throughout my treatment but my doctor had the opinion that there was no correlation. I think you'll probably find varying opinions on this. I've also heard what one of the above posters said about an alkaline diet. You'll find a million opinions on nutrition if you Google too much. ha! I think just be smart about what you were told in kindergarten--limit treats and eat your fruits and vegetables. :) That's my motto anyway.

• jwilke1067
    Options

Thank you for your reply. I hope all is well with you.