Liver Lesion Growth Rate

tcw2579
tcw2579 Member Posts: 1 Member
edited December 2023 in Liver Cancer #1

Hi,

I am currently undergoing diagnostics to determine whether or not a lesion in my liver is a distant metastasis from an as yet unknown primary cancer. The following is quoted directly from the C/T report performed on 1/18/23:

"Hypodense lesion in the segment 6 of the RIGHT hepatic lobe measuring 2.4 cm (image 179/series 2), previously 1.8 cm. It is hypodense hypodense in both arterial and venous phases. This lesion could be metastatic, however, more definitive testing to consider is MRI with intravenous contrast."

The previous study was performed on 12/9/22 (*around 6 weeks prior). My questions are :

1. Is this growth rate considered fast ?
  2. What distinguishes this lesion from the hemangiomas that are also present throughout my liver?

Going back in for a PET scan and needle biopsy this week so hopefully that will help me gain some clarity.

Thank You,

T

Comments

• Faith Helen
    Faith Helen Member Posts: 21 Member

Good wishes and energy to you. I had breast ca 7 years ago and am waiting on MRI results for 2 hypodense lesions on my liver (1 is 1.3 the other 2.4. or something,) no history of recurrence, no known tumor anywhere else. Lungs are ok. Wishing you calm and decent news ...I am nervous too but trying to keep the anxiety from running away. This business ain't for sissies, that's for damn sure

• DillardT
    DillardT Member Posts: 2 *

The lesion growth rates determines how aggressive the Cancer is. When your needle Biopsy is done, if the tumor the select to test increases in size or in number within the organ that means it’s pretty aggressive. In which case, the Oncologist will determine how aggressive they need to be in treating the disease, and a possible expiration date. They will also give you treatment options to consider. I am sorry you are going through this, hang in there and be strong. Please ask your care team questions—best to be informed.

• wcrowell29
    wcrowell29 Member Posts: 6 Member

Hello! After reading this post and your response, I am wondering how they will be able to find that same accuracy with a pet scan? I am in a similar situation as tcw2579. It was recently determined and told to me, however, that the needle biopsy would put me at great peril so the pet scan is my option for finding out what these lesions and masses are on my liver and spleen and if they are consistent for metastatic disease. Couldn’t be metastatic from my original diagnosis of endometrial adenocarcinoma because that is way too slow growing and these weren’t showing on some previous scans. I appreciate any words you may have to offer me here. I posted on Jan 3rd and have yet to receive a response. Maybe my post wasn’t clear?! I’m a newbie here. Enjoy your day! 🥰❤️💯

• wcrowell29
    wcrowell29 Member Posts: 6 Member

Your post is well written. I am so sorry you have this going on! I do too, but was told on the 3rd that I can’t risk the needle biopsy, that it would put my life in great peril. I’ve been offered a pet scan instead. I’ve never been told before that any procedure would jeopardize my health or my life. That in itself is quite alarming!!

If one can be considered lucky in all of this scary cancer stuff, I think it’s great that your life won’t be at risk for getting the biopsy. I wish I could have it done. I’m worried, from what I’m reading here, that the pet scan will not be as accurate as the needle biopsy for identifying and diagnosing these lesions and masses. How could it be? A physical sample from a mass or lesion HAS to be a better determination for a diagnosis than scanned images, doncha think? DO hang in there and try not to worry. Let’s keep each other updated. I love that we all can support each other here on this platform! My post, titled something like “My cancer has returned possibly metastasizing to my liver,” was posted on Jan 3rd if you want to scroll and read through it. If not, no worries! 😌