Anyone chose mastectomy over lumpectomy????

jazalea
jazalea Member Posts: 27 Member
edited January 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

Is there anyone who was given the choice of mastectomy or lumpectomy? What did you do and how did it go for you afterwards? I am newly diagnosed and struggling with the decision. Thank you for sharing your experience. πŸ™πŸŒΊπŸŒΉπŸŒΌπŸŒ»

Β«1

Comments

• rrgena
    rrgena Member Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2022 #2

[Content removed by CSN Support Team] Anytime you can eliminate a life-altering/damaging cancer β€œcure” then I would do it. Your body/health/mind will be tested in many ways in the coming months and if you can eliminate a stressing event, I would do it.

• rrgena

As for why? I had a surprise cancer diagnosis, never seen on films/etc. I chose a lumpectomy AGAIN on the second surgery and the β€œbleep” surgeon did not get clear margins. On the THIRD surgery, a mastectomy, I ended up w a DVT/PE. A severe lung clot that landed me in ICU for a few days and put me on blood thinner through chemo. I’m furious that the surgeon never managed to do her job properly. So, don’t ever assume they’re infallible. Think what’s in YOUR BEST INTEREST. Protect your wellness, it’s all you have. I’m doing fine but I don’t like being on so many meds thru chemo or ever. I’m a unique case but I’m still relevant. Surgery is tough on your body and when you have so many so close together, there are consequences. Please be well, find your strength, and do what you think is right for you. If that means pushing back against a β€œnormal” procedure, by all means do it. Only You know your body the best.

Take Care, and best wishesβ€¦πŸ«ΆπŸΌπŸ«ΆπŸΌπŸ«ΆπŸΌ

• mimi5000
    mimi5000 Member Posts: 18 Member

Hi Jasalea

I chose to do a lumpectomy. I did go through two surgeries to get clear margins. Nothing is fool-proof and the second surgery was trouble free for me. Radiation was also routine and I had few side effects. I am now having to go on hormone therapy to reduce the chance of recurrence. As Rrgena said you have to do what feels right for you. My choice felt right and my oncologist agreed for my specific cancer diagnosis. This is hard, I know. Praying for your recovery,

hugs

• jazalea

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am glad you're doing well. I am leaning towards mastectomy because I have a strong family history of breast cancer. My mom had a lumpectomy and radiation and the cancer came back many years later. And my aunt had breast cancer too. If I didn't have the family history, it would be different.

• rrgena

Yes, yes I have. A lot of things to deal with. Chemo, now battling Neulasta. once again, not told the whole truth. It’s very disheartening.

• jazalea
  • rachellynn99
    rachellynn99 Member Posts: 15 Member

I had two lumpectomies and my margins still were not clear. So I will be having a mastectomy next week. I of course can't discuss how that went because I don't know yet :)

However, I think if I could go back I would have chosen the mastectomy to start with. I made the best decisions I could with the information I had.

• jazalea

It's so hard because we don't know what the future will bring. So it is all guesswork. I hope your surgery goes well.

• mimi5000
    mimi5000 Member Posts: 18 Member

It sounds like you are coming to a decision that is right for you! Blessings and well wishes.

• pls9559
    pls9559 Member Posts: 6 Member

Hello, I was diagnosed with stage 0 (didn't know it was a thing), but based on the doctors telling me I had a high chance of it progressing I decided on a bi-lateral. One of the factors was if I did a lumpectomy on my left side it would take 3/4 of my breast. I decided I didn't want more surgery in the future if it progressed. Thankfully I did the bi-lateral and found more aggressive cancer because of that surgery. I have really no history of breast cancer in my family. But felt the decision was right for me. I'm happy I did, I'm going through chemo now as a pre-caution as the cancer was removed, but it's to make sure there isn't more floating around. The decision you make is the right decision for you. Good bless, good luck.

• pls9559
    pls9559 Member Posts: 6 Member

Hello, I was diagnosed with stage 0 (didn't know it was a thing), but based on the doctors telling me I had a high chance of it progressing I decided on a bi-lateral. One of the factors was if I did a lumpectomy on my left side it would take 3/4 of my breast. I decided I didn't want more surgery in the future if it progressed. Thankfully I did the bi-lateral and found more aggressive cancer because of that surgery. I have really no history of breast cancer in my family. But felt the decision was right for me. I'm happy I did, I'm going through chemo now as a pre-caution as the cancer was removed, but it's to make sure there isn't more floating around. The decision you make is the right decision for you. Good bless, good luck.

• Garn
    Garn Member Posts: 1 Member

6 yrs ago I had cancer in my right breast, it was slow growing and estrogen fed. I had a lumpectomy and had radiation, 10 treatments twice a day. I have struggled with vaginal atrophy since.

I now have a very aggressive cancer in my left breast and chose a double mastectomy.

The decision is whatever you feel at peace with.

Pray and if you feel peaceful, then you have your answer.

• RSmithyman
    RSmithyman Member Posts: 2 *

I was recently diagnosed with early stage triple negative invasive carcinoma My surgeon recommends lumpectomy with chemo and radiation. I have chosen a double mastectomy in large part because my mother had a lumpectomy with radiation but 5 years later the cancer was back and had metastasized to her liver, bones, and the other breast. Although following this diagnosis she received aggressive chemo, she died within 12 months of the cancer's return.

I guess what I am looking for is a good reason to choose the lumpectomy over the DMX. The studies seem to indicate that survivability is the same - but I'm still leaning toward the DMX

• jazalea

I am sorry to hear about your mother. I appreciate you sharing your experience. The doctors keep recommending lumpectomy for me as well but I have scheduled DMX because my mother also had cancer twice. The cancer returned after lumpectomy for her. And I believe mastectomy has less chance of recurrence. And less hassle of the constant stream of biopsies and surgeries. I have had so many of these already. And I don't need my breasts. I'm done having children. I'm in my forties.

• jazalea

Thank you for sharing your experience. Very helpful. I hope everything goes well for you.

• RSmithyman
    RSmithyman Member Posts: 2 *

Thank you. I just spoke with my surgeon. She said I should feel comfortable with my decision. At least in my case either of these options should be fine. So, I am going with the DMX. I wish you all the best.

• Gipapa
    Gipapa Member Posts: 2 Member

They are starting me with Chemo therapy, and then make the decision for lumpectomy vs. mastectomy. I know I have some time to decide, but the amount of reconstructive surgery sounds daunting right now. I have rather large breasts, so I would be very lopsided with a mastectomy, but all in all, if I can get out of doing radiation, Kaiser provides me with falsies for the rest of my life, as well as reconstructive surgery if I change my mind later. Right now, I am freaked out about having the port put in and all of the tests I am undergoing before starting. I'm not superattached to my breasts, and I don't need them to make a living, yet inside I still feel on the fence about everything. I'm thinking that if I have reconstructive surgery I would do it afterwards. Surgery is a thing to be avoided!!!

• rachellynn99
    rachellynn99 Member Posts: 15 Member

I just had a mastectomy (December 15th) and was also quite large and thought I would be very emotional over the new "look". I bought a prosthetic from Amazon and have been wearing it. I wasn't nearly as upset as I thought I would be. I'm glad to be cancer free! I had skin-sparing and am considering reconstruction down the line, but maybe later in 2023. Right now, I'm happy just wearing my cheap fake boob and not having surgery for a while. I don't even think I'm going to go get a "real" prosthetic.

• BHuffman
    BHuffman Member Posts: 1 *

This has been my story as well. Knowing now I would have opted for a mastectomy from the start. I am choosing to have a Bilateral done just for my own reassurance. My decision now is flat closure or reconstruction. The decision process is as stressful as dealing with the cancer itself . :(