Six Year Tests

Bay Area Guy
Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
edited February 2023 in Kidney Cancer #1

I haven’t been around for a while…..traveling…..woo hoo. But back home and had tests/scans needed for my annual survivorship program appointment. The results are already in. Creatinine was 0.94, better than before my merry-go-round started. eGFR was 89, also a high for me. Chest x-rays were clear. And the ultrasound showed two renal cysts that have been present in every scan I’ve had. So, Uncle NED remains a close, visiting relative.

The actual appointment comes a week from today.

Comments

• Lynn_65
    Lynn_65 Member Posts: 63 Member

Congratulations! Time to celebrate.

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,062 Member

Our favorite news! Regards to Uncle NED! :-)

• daisybud
    daisybud Member Posts: 541 Member

Congrats! Great news!

• lobbyist0724
    lobbyist0724 Member Posts: 515 Member

Congratulations!

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
  • Mmoses25
    Mmoses25 Member Posts: 321 Member

Congratulations on being Ned

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member

Awesome. Congrats!!!

• Blessedgirl94
    Blessedgirl94 Member Posts: 12 Member

we were diagnosed around the same time, similar size tumors…..

i have been exited from protocol- no scans, ultrasound, nothing. I checked in with the other large hospital and they confirmed protocol.

are you still able to be scannned yearly? I would love to know your protocols.

thanks!

• Bay Area Guy

The original schedule was for 4 years of annual scan/x-rays. I was then moved to their Survivorship Program. No scan for my first visit, which was December, 2021. I asked for an ultrasound and x-ray at that visit, and that came with this visit. At this visit, the NP said there wasn’t a whole lot left for me in terms of what they could do, so I was released from that program with a clean bill of health. My plan is to discuss with my primary care physician a schedule to get an ultrasound and x-ray every couple of years to go along with the blood and urine tests I get every year with my annual physical. I likely don’t need it, but it’s just for peace of mind.

• jazzgirl
    jazzgirl Member Posts: 240 Member

Wow I am envious of your Creatinine and eGFR! What great news. I think all that traveling is keeping you one healthy guy. Keep it up. Take care ~

• Blessedgirl94
    Blessedgirl94 Member Posts: 12 Member

Thanks for the info. I will work w my PCP to get on some sort of schedule.

• Shecka1121
    Shecka1121 Member Posts: 117 Member

Wonderful news.

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member

Good to hear the good news, Bay. Happy travels, my friend!

Stub

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member

It's nice to see some familiar faces still on the board. I hadn't even looked at it for a couple of years. I was mad at cancer and staff at oncology, the hospital where I was treated like a leper from admitting to radiology and beyond.

I finally found a name for the Oncology nurse who I was dealing with. She was "gaslighting" me. Very demoralizing and wouldn't give me a straight answer to why some tests were being forced upon me. I caused a ruckus, and almost left the clinic. But would have had to drive 2-3 hrs. to find another care giver. Thank heavens the nurse and her hubby moved to be closer to where their adult kids lived.

So, I'm here to say, "GOOD NEWS." I'm not just NED, but I didn't have to have a CT in December, and don't have to go back to Oncology till this year.

I do have to continue to see the nephrologist because my one kidney is ready to celebrate my 80th BD next month.

Take care,

donna_lee

• Bay Area Guy

Hi Donna. I had a hospitalist like that one time on a previous abdominal surgery. He ordered a colonoscopy the day after (actually about 12 hours) I had undergone emergency surgery to redo an ileostomy that had prolapsed. The only reason I was not wheeled down for the procedure was my nurse. She told the doctor, right to his face, “Mr Bay Area Guy isn’t going anywhere. Get out.” After I got ambulatory, I went to the head nurse on the ward and said I did not want any tests that were not strictly related to the condition I was in there for (which was pneumonia, but during that time, I had complications from a prior abdominal surgery…..was not a really good summer that year). The head nurse agreed and sympathized with me.

The hospitalist got even by delaying my discharge by about 12 hours.