POSSIBLE UTERINE POLYP MY MOTHER DIED AT 49 IN 4 MONTHS FROM ENDOMETRIAL CANCER!

mhc4165
mhc4165 Member Posts: 46
edited March 2022 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
Hi,

Below is a post I made on the HysterSisters site.

I have not been going through this since 2008 at all, as I said in July 2008 I had a regular Pap test that found some endometrial cells on it and so I went to a new gynecologist who gave me the TruTest biopsy which uses a Tao brush which some say is more accurate and not that painful and the only thing that really hurt was when he opened and kept open my cervix,as he said it would because it had never been opened before because I have never had any children.This biopsy came back benign.

I wanted to have my second transvaginal ultrasound soon after this biopsy but my internist wanted me to wait 3 months in case the biopsy had disrupted the uterus so in December 2008 I had the transvaginal ultrasound and the only thing that was found then was one very small fibroid which wasn't even there when I had my first transvaginal ultrasound in October 2006 because I had been spotting in between my period off and on since the Fall of 2005.

This possible polyp is a new thing that was just found when I had another transvaginal ultrasound in March after a new gynecology nurse asked me to because I told her about the history of my spotting off and on and that it went away for 8 months and came back recently and a little heavier. And I had told her that I had 2 transvaginal ultrasounds.And I told her about the endometrial cells and my biopsy done in September 2008.

And I said that I would only have a D&C if they can as my nice cardiologist suggestedgive me,an epidural to numb me instead of being put to sleep.And I won't have a biopsy without being numbed and or some serious pain killers as many women said they used.Many said that even after taking 800 milligrams of Motrin,Advil,Ibuprofen it still hurt bad!

And I saw a head and neck surgeon who treats people with head and neck cancers at the same hospital where this cold military officer oncology gynecologist works,but she was very warm and nice so was the endocrinologist I just saw for the first time on Monday because of my 3 thyroid nodules,and she also treats patients with thyroid cancer,my eye doctor,dentist,and cardiologist are all also very nice warmer people too,which is what patients want and deserve in a doctor.If they are cold,detached and or nasty then they shouldn't ever become doctors in the first place! People are not Guinea Pigs!

Comments

• mhc4165
    This is another post I made
    This is another post I made on Hystersisters.

No sorry I'm not having any unterine biopsy if they won't numb me! I'm so glad I didn't go through with it yesterday after reading both before and after yesterday,posts by so many women who said the biopsy was extremely painful, and many said it was the worst pain they ever experienced,and many of them said they had a lot of other painful tests,surgeries,and even many had more than several children and that this was worse! And they said that you really should take some serious pain medicine both before and after the biopsy,and many said that even that didn't help enough!

And several women said that they never had children and so their cervix is more closed and this makes the biopsy even more painful,which it would be for me too! When my regular gynecologist gave me the Tao brush biopsy he told me that since my cervix had never been opened it was going to hurt,and it really hurt bad!

And to say what you did about oncologists seeing a lot of death and difficult cases and so sometimes they brush off less difficult ones is inaccurate and not fair.As I already said I have had 2 internists that are cold,detached and nasty,and one of them has nasty medical staff as well,this is why I haven't been back to her office in a year and a half.And I have had too many medical assistents and a few nurses like this too.

And my mother died at age 49 of stage 4 endometrial cancer in just 4 months and the doctors know this.I also said that my father told me that her first oncologist with my mother's very serious,difficult and deadly case,said to her very coldly and unfeelingly,you have only 3 months to live and there is nothing we can do for you,and he said it like he was saying it was raining or sunny out today! My father said he was like this the whole time he saw her as her oncologist.She then went to a much better and much nicer one at a different hospital where he was a top recommended oncologist.

And by the way the oncologist I saw yesterday,her mother had breast cancer so she should really be more understanding! And also please look up the topic on this very site, Endometrial Biopsy-DEMAND Pain Relief! by member LindaWmn.
  • Michaelynn
    Michaelynn Member Posts: 85 Member
    mhc4165 said:

This is another post I made
    This is another post I made on Hystersisters.

No sorry I'm not having any unterine biopsy if they won't numb me! I'm so glad I didn't go through with it yesterday after reading both before and after yesterday,posts by so many women who said the biopsy was extremely painful, and many said it was the worst pain they ever experienced,and many of them said they had a lot of other painful tests,surgeries,and even many had more than several children and that this was worse! And they said that you really should take some serious pain medicine both before and after the biopsy,and many said that even that didn't help enough!

And several women said that they never had children and so their cervix is more closed and this makes the biopsy even more painful,which it would be for me too! When my regular gynecologist gave me the Tao brush biopsy he told me that since my cervix had never been opened it was going to hurt,and it really hurt bad!

And to say what you did about oncologists seeing a lot of death and difficult cases and so sometimes they brush off less difficult ones is inaccurate and not fair.As I already said I have had 2 internists that are cold,detached and nasty,and one of them has nasty medical staff as well,this is why I haven't been back to her office in a year and a half.And I have had too many medical assistents and a few nurses like this too.

And my mother died at age 49 of stage 4 endometrial cancer in just 4 months and the doctors know this.I also said that my father told me that her first oncologist with my mother's very serious,difficult and deadly case,said to her very coldly and unfeelingly,you have only 3 months to live and there is nothing we can do for you,and he said it like he was saying it was raining or sunny out today! My father said he was like this the whole time he saw her as her oncologist.She then went to a much better and much nicer one at a different hospital where he was a top recommended oncologist.

And by the way the oncologist I saw yesterday,her mother had breast cancer so she should really be more understanding! And also please look up the topic on this very site, Endometrial Biopsy-DEMAND Pain Relief! by member LindaWmn.

Uterine biopsy
    I had a uterine biopsy back in February 2010. I took 2 Tylenol with codeine about 1 hour before I went in and I had no pain at all. I had none of the complications people complain about excessive bleeding fainting pain for days afterward. I have never had a natural childbirth either so he gave me a pill to take the night before to soften the cervix as he thought he might not be able to get the tube through it. Didn't have any problems at all and thank God I had it as I had uterine serous cancer Stage 1A grade 3. You should believe all these women that say how terrible it was. I read all the horror stories also and it was nothing at all like I read about. The doctor talked me through the whole procedure and my husband came along and held my hand. I was absolutely terrified going in there and crying all over the place. I do not tolerate pain well and they could not give me enough morphine after my total hysterectomy in March. They kept asking me how my pain was in the recovery room and it never went any lower than a 8 on the pain scale finally they just said we can't give you any more you have a really low tolerance for pain. I would definitely recommend you have this test it may just end up saving your life and even if you do have a horror story to tell afterward how much pain is your life worth. I am now in radiation therapy and move on to Chemo in June.
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980

Uterine biopsy
    I had a uterine biopsy back in February 2010. I took 2 Tylenol with codeine about 1 hour before I went in and I had no pain at all. I had none of the complications people complain about excessive bleeding fainting pain for days afterward. I have never had a natural childbirth either so he gave me a pill to take the night before to soften the cervix as he thought he might not be able to get the tube through it. Didn't have any problems at all and thank God I had it as I had uterine serous cancer Stage 1A grade 3. You should believe all these women that say how terrible it was. I read all the horror stories also and it was nothing at all like I read about. The doctor talked me through the whole procedure and my husband came along and held my hand. I was absolutely terrified going in there and crying all over the place. I do not tolerate pain well and they could not give me enough morphine after my total hysterectomy in March. They kept asking me how my pain was in the recovery room and it never went any lower than a 8 on the pain scale finally they just said we can't give you any more you have a really low tolerance for pain. I would definitely recommend you have this test it may just end up saving your life and even if you do have a horror story to tell afterward how much pain is your life worth. I am now in radiation therapy and move on to Chemo in June.

I agree that endometrial biopsies hurt, but are necessary.
    An endometrial biopsy can be painful, but they are also usually a necessary step to diagnosis. I had 2 of them, both 'non-diagnostic' because they didn't get enough tissue to make a conclusive diagnosis. I was shocked how much it hurt, but in the big picture it was really nothing. Next I had a D&C which confirmed that I had cancer. I think I had to do the biopsies so that my insurance would cover the D&C, which is more invasive and real surgery. But your 1st post sounds like you already had 1 biopsy. Why do they want a 2nd one?

Why would you not want to be 'asleep' for the D&C? I woke up from that and it was as if nothing had even happened to me. I felt fine and I didn't even bleed. Three days after my D&C I flew across the country to Utah and went hiking for 9 days. No problems. Unfortunately I came home to a cancer diagnosis, but I did get in a fabulous vacation and felt 100% fine.

They may let you skip the 2nd biopsy if you go ahead and get the D&C. Trust me, a D&C is nothing if you let them knock you out. Not to be harsh with you, but you have to put on your 'big girl panties' and get a difinitive diagnostic test. This is your LIFE we're talking about. ((((hugs)))).
  • aprillorey
    aprillorey Member Posts: 104

An endometrial biopsy can be painful, but they are also usually a necessary step to diagnosis. I had 2 of them, both 'non-diagnostic' because they didn't get enough tissue to make a conclusive diagnosis. I was shocked how much it hurt, but in the big picture it was really nothing. Next I had a D&C which confirmed that I had cancer. I think I had to do the biopsies so that my insurance would cover the D&C, which is more invasive and real surgery. But your 1st post sounds like you already had 1 biopsy. Why do they want a 2nd one?

Why would you not want to be 'asleep' for the D&C? I woke up from that and it was as if nothing had even happened to me. I felt fine and I didn't even bleed. Three days after my D&C I flew across the country to Utah and went hiking for 9 days. No problems. Unfortunately I came home to a cancer diagnosis, but I did get in a fabulous vacation and felt 100% fine.

They may let you skip the 2nd biopsy if you go ahead and get the D&C. Trust me, a D&C is nothing if you let them knock you out. Not to be harsh with you, but you have to put on your 'big girl panties' and get a difinitive diagnostic test. This is your LIFE we're talking about. ((((hugs)))).

i had a D&C and they put me
    i had a D&C and they put me to sleep i was wondering why they would not put u to sleep for a D&C ? the D&C is easy i was back to my normal self the same day its turly nothing at all if they put you under

you need to have a D&C as it will save your very life it saved mine im only 29 and dont have kids either the not having kids part was hard on me

im stage 1a and grade 2 so i have to under go radition but im in remison that D&C saved my life because they found the cancer early on my husband had 1 aunt who they didnt find the cancer until it was to late and she died so do get the D&C it will save your life if u do have the cancer
  • mhc4165

Thank you Linda,
    This is

Thank you Linda,

This is another post I made today in response to another poster on the HysterSisters site.

Thank you for your very detailed response and I'm very sorry you had cancers. But I have to say that what the poster psharky said to me on *here* that she was told that 80% of women can't tolerate the uterine biopsy and that her doctor who did her surgery *NEVER* does this procedure without numbing it first,is exactly what I have read many other women saying over the years on *other* health boards! I have found many more , *too many* just recently after the oncologist recently wanted to give me the endometrial biopsy without any pain medicine!

That was why in September 2008 after I had endometrial cells turn up on my Pap test in July 2008,I contacted the company Gynecore who makes the TruTest Tao brush biopsy and asked if there were any doctors in my area who used it.They emailed me back and gave me the name and email address of the woman from the company who is in my city and who teaches doctors how to use it.She emailed back and told me of many women gynecologists who use it but they weren't close to me and some of them were booked for 3 months.So she told me of a male gynecologist who is only a few walking blocks away who uses it,and I had *never* been to a male gynecologist in my life and never wanted and still don't want to go to them.

I am *very* sensitive to pain and I have the same exact sensitive skin like my father has,we both get black and blue marks and cuts very easily just from lightly bumping into something! You are more brave than me with getting surgieries and anesthesia. When I had a Cat scan 2 years ago for my irritable bowel problem,the technician didn't even want to give me the iodine IV because she said it's like a Bee sting,you don't know if you will have an allergic reation until you get it,and I think the anesthesia is the same way.
  • mhc4165

I won't have a D&C if I have
    I won't have a D&C if I have to be put to sleep! I'm very *TERRIFIED* of being put to sleep!The oncologist at Fox Chase Cancer Center said she does a biopsy first before a D&C. I had the first biopsy,the Tao brush TruTest biopsy back in September 2008 because at that time I had a different problem, I had endometrial cells turn up on my Pap test and my period had just ended two days before.In March of this year I went to get a regular gynecological check up with a new gynecological nurse because I hadn't had any since a year and a month before by the oncologist at Fox Chase Cancer Center.So I went to her and told her about my history of spotting off and on in between my period since the Fall of 2005, and that I had my first transvaginal ultrasound in October 2006 after I went to my internist about this spotting after I had gone to my regular gynecologist and she and another gynecologist who was there on a day mine wasn't just gave me pelvic vaginalk exams.

My internist said there are certain things you can't see with a regular gynecology exam so she gave me a prescription to have a pelvic vaginal ultrasound which I never heard of.That test showed nothing wrong at all,not even a fibroid.When I had the TruTest biopsy,I wanted to get another pelvic vaginal ultrasound right away but my internist wanted me to wait 3 months in case the uterus was upset by the biopsy and this could effect the results of this transvaginal ultrasound.So I did wait 3 months and the only thing that was found was one really small fibroid.

When I went to this new gynecology nurse and told her of the history of my spotting off and on and the endometrial cells turning up on my Pap test,and the endo biopsy I had,and the 2 transvaginal ultrasounds I had,and I told her that the spotting had gone away for 8 months and I thought it was gone for good,but it come back recently maybe slightly heavier.So she said I should have another transvaginal ultrasound and to get it sooner rather than later.

I went a week later and had it done,but it was 2 days before I got my period and the technician said I may have to come back and do it again,because she's had other women have to do it again because the lining is thicker right before your period.This is when this possible polyp was found. The written ultrasound report just says I have an echogenic mass protruding into my endometrial lining with some vascular flow suggestive of a polyp.It says at the end probable endometrial polyp.It doesn't even give me a size for it.It says I have normal size ovaries and 2 small fibroids too.

I know it's wishful thinking,but it is a small possibility that there isn't any polyp there and that part of my uterine lining ws just swelled up because it was only 2 days before my period.I really would like to get this transvaginal done again at least a week *after* my period is over just to see if it is infact still really there before I get a biopsy.But I don't think my insurance company will pay for it.

I have my old calendars and when I had both of my other transvaginal ultrasounds my period was over for a week and a week and 4 days.THe gynecology nurse and the nurse at The Fox Chase Cancer Center both told me that most endometrial polyps are benign.
  • mhc4165

i had a D&C and they put me
    i had a D&C and they put me to sleep i was wondering why they would not put u to sleep for a D&C ? the D&C is easy i was back to my normal self the same day its turly nothing at all if they put you under

you need to have a D&C as it will save your very life it saved mine im only 29 and dont have kids either the not having kids part was hard on me

im stage 1a and grade 2 so i have to under go radition but im in remison that D&C saved my life because they found the cancer early on my husband had 1 aunt who they didnt find the cancer until it was to late and she died so do get the D&C it will save your life if u do have the cancer

Thank you also aprillorey.

Thank you also aprillorey.
  • mhc4165

Uterine biopsy

Michaelynn,Thank you too,I
    Michaelynn,

Thank you too,I have read some women say they were about to faint,why is that, just because the pain is so bad? There were women who said they took some percoset or vicodin before and some took it after also and it really helped.I have never taken these pills before so I'm not really sure how I would react to them.Also it worries me that the gynecology oncologist at Fox Chase Cancer Center wanted to do a biopsy after she looked at my film of my ultrasound.She obviously couldn't tell what it is by just looking at the ultrasound.I asked her if she thought if could be serious like cancer and she either said probably not or I don't think so but she said everything looked normal on the outside of my uterus but that there might be something going on inside the uterus and we have to find out what that is.

My regular gynecologist said he doesn't think it's very likely to be cancer and he said I have about 10% chance of it being cancer but then he said actually less than this because I'm pre-menopausal but it's not 0%.He said they wrote the ultrasound report the way they were supposed to,you have a mass and they aren't sure what it is.
  • mhc4165
    mhc4165 said:

I won't have a D&C if I have
    I won't have a D&C if I have to be put to sleep! I'm very *TERRIFIED* of being put to sleep!The oncologist at Fox Chase Cancer Center said she does a biopsy first before a D&C. I had the first biopsy,the Tao brush TruTest biopsy back in September 2008 because at that time I had a different problem, I had endometrial cells turn up on my Pap test and my period had just ended two days before.In March of this year I went to get a regular gynecological check up with a new gynecological nurse because I hadn't had any since a year and a month before by the oncologist at Fox Chase Cancer Center.So I went to her and told her about my history of spotting off and on in between my period since the Fall of 2005, and that I had my first transvaginal ultrasound in October 2006 after I went to my internist about this spotting after I had gone to my regular gynecologist and she and another gynecologist who was there on a day mine wasn't just gave me pelvic vaginalk exams.

My internist said there are certain things you can't see with a regular gynecology exam so she gave me a prescription to have a pelvic vaginal ultrasound which I never heard of.That test showed nothing wrong at all,not even a fibroid.When I had the TruTest biopsy,I wanted to get another pelvic vaginal ultrasound right away but my internist wanted me to wait 3 months in case the uterus was upset by the biopsy and this could effect the results of this transvaginal ultrasound.So I did wait 3 months and the only thing that was found was one really small fibroid.

When I went to this new gynecology nurse and told her of the history of my spotting off and on and the endometrial cells turning up on my Pap test,and the endo biopsy I had,and the 2 transvaginal ultrasounds I had,and I told her that the spotting had gone away for 8 months and I thought it was gone for good,but it come back recently maybe slightly heavier.So she said I should have another transvaginal ultrasound and to get it sooner rather than later.

I went a week later and had it done,but it was 2 days before I got my period and the technician said I may have to come back and do it again,because she's had other women have to do it again because the lining is thicker right before your period.This is when this possible polyp was found. The written ultrasound report just says I have an echogenic mass protruding into my endometrial lining with some vascular flow suggestive of a polyp.It says at the end probable endometrial polyp.It doesn't even give me a size for it.It says I have normal size ovaries and 2 small fibroids too.

I know it's wishful thinking,but it is a small possibility that there isn't any polyp there and that part of my uterine lining ws just swelled up because it was only 2 days before my period.I really would like to get this transvaginal done again at least a week *after* my period is over just to see if it is infact still really there before I get a biopsy.But I don't think my insurance company will pay for it.

I have my old calendars and when I had both of my other transvaginal ultrasounds my period was over for a week and a week and 4 days.THe gynecology nurse and the nurse at The Fox Chase Cancer Center both told me that most endometrial polyps are benign.

A Poster On HysterSisters Said Her Co-Worker Had Endometrial Pol
    I recently read a poster on HysterSisters say her co-worker had uterine polyps removed in her doctors's office.Does anyone know anything about how this would be done? Obviously she didn't have a D&C.
  • Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member

My daughter just told me today that her gynechologist found a uterine polyp and said it was probably fine but if she would like to have it removed she could along with tying her tubes as she doesn’t want any more children . My daughter is concerned with the cost, but the doctor also mentioned having the tubes tied might prevent ovarian cancer. Hmm I hadn’t heard that before , but I know tubal cancer often leads to ovarian cancer and did for a friend of mine. I really hope she does have the surgery given my cancer journey.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member

Soup, nine years before I was diagnosed with cancer I had vaginal bleeding. After its removal during a D&C, it turned out to be a benign polyp. The next time I had vaginal bleeding I wasn't so lucky.

I didn't know that I had Lynch Syndrome when I had the benign polyp removed. If I had known, I would have pushed for a hysterectomy at that time and saved myself a lot of heartache later.

But hindsight is 20-20 and most women with polyps don't have cancer. But I'd certainly do what I can to avoid cancer, especially since your daughter doesn't plan to have more children.

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member

mhc4165,

How are you? I have been wondering if you had a d&c and the outcome of your polyp. Sending good and healing thoughts your way.

I had a biopsy because the GYN could not access my cervix due to my age. I took 2 Ibuprofen and tylenol to prepare. I was so relieved to be sedated for the biopsy instead.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 962 Member

It is harder to tell now with the new format, but I believe this original post is from 2010. Linda Propcopio was posting.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member

I clicked on mhc4165 name and it shows they were last on May 31, 2017. I don't know if they are going to answer Lyn.

Hugs all. ❤️

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member

Soup, my friend, you are a long time warrior like me. We have seem so many friends during our time here.

I thought my mom and dad's cancers were because they were old - they both died at 92, but last year my oldest sister was dx with the same breast cancer as my mom and a second sister (I have 4) wouldn't tell us what breast cancer she has but I drove her to the hospital for her lumpectomy and found the name of an oncologist in her papers. (I am very mad at that second sister but still respect her decision - however it could affect me and my other sisters).

I hope your daughter doesn't let the expense stop her from getting it looked in to, for her or for anyone related to us, the words "with your history..." mean something.

Like you, I had not heard tying your tubes could prevent ovarian cancer, and a quick search finds, "Tubal ligation may also effectively reduce the risk of ovarian cancer in women who have BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations," but it is all older posts, nothing current.

• HFTG61
    HFTG61 Member Posts: 31 Member

Hello, sorry I have not posted in more than a week. I have been moving along with prep for my chemo treatment.

I got my port on 2/17/22 and am still trying to get used to it. Easier than getting my arms poked with needles, but difficult to sleep and still swollen a lot, so it is a certain amount of heaviness and pressure when I get up from a sitting or laying position. Otherwise, the nurses used it on 2/25/22 to draw blood for labs and said the port looks good & worked good. Starting to itch quite a bit though. My actual chemo has been postponed until 3/4/22. I had a dental issue that I wanted addressed before chemo and I was put on antibiotics so . . .

I have to reach out to many of you to ask about "fatigue". I am getting different versions of how intense it can affect any of us. I don’t think I had truly thought it thru & was hoping to go on a family vacation this summer. Thinking that if I "tolerated" chemo well my first 2/3 sessions, it should indicate my tolerance to hang in there (doable in other words), however my doctor tells me to "remember chemo takes a PROGRESSIVE toll on your entire body. So I may find myself wiped out many days or barely able to do much but rest & sleep. Please share your BODY'S RESPONSE TO CHEMO with me so I can stay optimistic but realistic. Thanks in advance.

• Lyn70

Thank you, ladies,

I had no idea the thread was that old.

• Lyn70

I remember my ONC's PA asking me about having fatigue on chemo and my saying I am TIRED a great deal and I nap twice a day but sometimes I cannot keep my eyes open. The PA then showed me one symptom of Exhaustion was the inability to keep your eyes open. I started curtailing chores during those times rather than tunneling thru then napping to recoup.

I received 6 rounds of carbo/taxol. I had a hot face flush every chemo, usually 1-2 days afterward. I just used a cool cloth. I had muscle aches from the Neulasta I was given after each treatment but someone on this board clued me in to taking Claritin for about 5 days after Neulasta and that helped. I did not use Claritin D, it made my heart race. I would sometimes feel brief nauseous and dizziness in the morning but I used the Lorazepam I was prescribed with success. My appetite wasn't bad but I noticed definite cravings for particular foods.

I tolerated chemo well and managed to function fairly 'normal'. I think fatigue was the biggest factor so treat yourself to naps and maybe a little help on some days. ((Hugs))

• HFTG61
    HFTG61 Member Posts: 31 Member