News from biopsies

Deanie0916
Deanie0916 Member Posts: 614 Member

Hello everyone. Just an update on the thyroid and lung biopsies. There is cancer in my thyroid it is a primary papillary thyroid cancer. The lung biopsy was inconclusive. So time to join another discussion board? I meet with a surgeon on Monday to find out about surgery. Thanks for all of your support.

Comments

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    edited November 2021 #2
    thyroid cancer

Deanie, ready my bio when you have a chance.  In summary, they found a spot on my thyroid during my baseline scans prior to surgery.  A month after my partial nephrectomy, I underwent a full thyroidectomy.  Remind me how big is your tumor on your thyroid?  

Let me know if I can help with your questions.

Stub

• Deanie0916
    edited November 2021 #3
    Thanks Stub

The nodule on my thyroid is just under 2 cm. I did read your bio. I see the surgeon Monday. Did they decide to do a full thyroidectomy because of the lymph nodes? Do you have to take replacement hormones? I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. I appreciate your support and time.

• stub1969
    edited November 2021 #4
    Full

They did a full because of the node involvement.  My tumor was just over 1 cm and I had two nodes out of the five they took out that had cancer in them.  I take Levothyroxine as a replacement.  I didn't have a hard time with the replacement hormone when they were figuring out my dosage.  I know some people do have issues, but I didn't.

Stub

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,060 Member
    edited November 2021 #5
    Hello,

Hello,

oh ****, sorry to hear about secong cancer. I’ve heard thyroid cancer is extremely treatable, and Stub can prove it.

And what about lungs? Do they at least have suspicions what it could be?

• Deanie0916
    edited November 2021 #6
    Thanks Allochka

The plan is to deal with the thyroid and watch and wait on the lung nodules. Depending on what they decide to do for the thyroid it might shed light on what the lung nodules are. This is my 3rd primary cancer, I had breast cancer in 2008. Thanks for the encouragement.

• Deanie0916
    edited November 2021 #7
    Thanks Allochka

The plan is to deal with the thyroid and watch and wait on the lung nodules. Depending on what they decide to do for the thyroid it might shed light on what the lung nodules are. This is my 3rd primary cancer, I had breast cancer in 2008. Thanks for the encouragement.

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 237 Member
    Welcome to the Threepeat Club

Welcome to the Threepeat Club, also known as Crap Magnets Anonymous! I've done kidney, breast, and uterus (also basal cell skin, but I don't usually like to count that). We need a new hobby.

• Deanie0916
    edited November 2021 #9
    Surgery

To remove the thyroid is on Dec. 10th. Will update more later on. Thanks again for you support and encouragement.

• stub1969
    It's been some time...

But I remember just feeling "off" after surgery.  If I remember right, it was because of my body's response to the switch to the synthetic hormone.  It lasted about a day after I got home, then it was pretty easy for me.  I'm hopeful your recovery will be smooth and uneventful.

The 10th will be here before you know it.  Wishing you only the best!

Stub

• Deanie0916
    edited November 2021 #11
    Thanks Alice

Still trying to process this...my Mom's radiation oncologist asked (a few years ago) if our family lived over a radioactive waste site. She was joking but...??

• Deanie0916
    Thanks Stub

I'm happy that it is now outpatient surgery. Hoping and praying for a smooth surgery with no surprises. Thanks for your help.

• stub1969
    edited November 2021 #13
    Full?

Deanie--I may have missed this--if so, my apologies.  Are you having a full thyroidectomy?  If so, they are doing it as an outpatient?  Heck--even if it's a partial, I'm not sure I'd recommend an outpatient procedure.  This is very frustrating for me to think they are doing this as an outpatient.

Stub

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 237 Member
    edited November 2021 #14
    I've had close family members

I've had close family members with each of my types of cancer. I had genetic testing, and zero, nada, zilch connection. Some of us are just special! ? But it does make a person paranoid. I don't particularly worry about any recurrences, but I do always wonder if there's another type of cancer getting ready to bite me.

• Deanie0916
    Hey Stub

Yes it is a full thyroidectomy and yes it's outpatient. Our state has has crisis standard of care in place for the past couple of months. In order for me to get it done sooner I'm going to an ambulatory surgery care place. I can change to my normal hospital but the wait will be longer probably several months more. And even then I still think it will be outpatient. I will research a bit more now I'm kinda worried. The surgeon seemed to think that's the norm now. I'll let you know. Thanks!

• stub1969
    edited November 2021 #16
    Outpatient

Good evening, Deanie--first let me apologize if I caused you to worry.  That was not my intention.  I just worry about this surgery as an outpatient procedure.  After all, they are cutting your neck and laying it out so they can get to this gland, which is up against your trachea, so they can cut it out.   Beyond the recovery, the body makes a switch from your natural hormone to the synthetic.  For some people, this is a difficult process.  I can tell you from experience, your body will not feel right.  I'd hate to have you go home and not have the care of trained nurses to help you through the initial stages of the surgery.

I talk about my concerns with this then realize I was out of the hospital a day after my kidney surgery--crazy!

Keep me posted on how you do.  I'll help in any way I can.

Stub

• Deanie0916

Hi just wanted to let you know that I had surgery yesterday it went well and I'm home and resting! Thanks for your support and encouragement!

• stub1969

Thanks for the update, Deanie. I've been thinking about you! I'm hopeful you'll have a smooth recovery. Please keep me (us) posted on how you're doing.

Stub

• Mmoses25
    Mmoses25 Member Posts: 319 Member

I’m so glad you are home resting and surgery went ok get some rest my prayers are with you

• Deanie0916

Just to let you know surgery went well. They think they got it all. The tumor was bigger than shown on the scans but it was contained. This will be confirmed through more blood tests. Now trying to get the thyroid meds right! Thanks.