Re: Sad news about Pinky's UPSC cancer

cheerful
cheerful Member Posts: 261 Member

Dear Ladies:

I have been a very close and personal friend of Pinky's for the past 6 years.  I met her through this Board at least through e-mails although I never met her personally and we shared a lot of things in common. We both live in different states and I live in PA and she lives in NY.   I know she has posted frequently regarding her condition with UPSC.  She discontinued chemo a couple of weeks ago and is now in hospice care. She has about a week to live.  She is currently at home and was in the hospital for about a week.   I called her husband this afternoon and he mentioned this to me and send me an e-mail last week regarding Pinky's condition.   

Her husband will contact me when she passes away. There will be large void in my life and I will tremendously miss her as we were in contact with one another through e-mails a couple of times a week.  She was one of my closest friends.  She is young by today's standard (too young to pass away as far as I am concerned), and she is 70 years old and would have turned 71 later this year.  I am 67 almost 68 so we are only a couple of years apart.  I will relay any messages to her husband regarding Pinky.  Pinky got her cancer in 2010 and has stage 4 so she lived with UPSC for 9 years and she has 1 reoccurrence in 2017 and survived that now this cancer is in her psoas muscle near her hip and sadly the prognosis for this is very very poor to be able to survive.

You can contact me through Cheerful on this Board. 

I do hope that you ladies are all doing fairly well going through UPSC.  

Cheerful

Comments

• Wannabeatit
    Wannabeatit Member Posts: 100 Member
    Oh that is such sad news. She

Oh that is such sad news. She has been an inspiration to me and I am sure others on this board. Thank you for updating us Cheerful. Sorry for your pain.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Sad farwell

Cheerful,

Thank you for letting us know about Pinky. Many of us were worried about her, especially as she struggled with treatments during her latest recurrence. Please let her husband know how much I have appreciated Pinky's participation in this board during my time here. Her advice to other members who were/are facing challenges was always meaningful, coming as it did from someone who had both a significant period of remission after a late stage diagnosis, followed by recurrences. I hope her remaining time is peaceful and pain-free. While I don't know her as you have, I will miss her presence here.

• barnyardgal
    barnyardgal Member Posts: 272 Member
    I am so sorry to hear that. I

I am so sorry to hear that. I was worried when I realized she hadn't logged in for awhile. She was such a help to so many here. 

• evolo58
    evolo58 Member Posts: 293 Member
    There is not much to add

She has always been an inspiration ... signs that you CAN hit that five-year and beyond mark with UPSC. Signs that whatever the doctors tell you, it's not impossible. 

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    I am so sorry to hear about

I am so sorry to hear about Pinky.  Thank you Cheerful for relaying this news.  

Prayers to all

Kathy

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    This is heartbreaking news. I

This is heartbreaking news. I am so sorry for her and her husband. This is hard to take. Thank you Pinky for everything you shared with us. 

You'll never be forgotten.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Cheerful, thanks very much

Cheerful, thanks very much for letting us know. We have been worried about Pinky lately and I am so sorry to hear the worst of our fears.... Sorry for your loss especially. Please let her husband know what a wonderful friend she was to all of us. She will be missed so much.  I pray that she is kept pain free for whatever time she has left on this earth.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    So sad

Thanks Cheerful for letting us know. I’m beyond sad. I hate cancer!

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    She fought a good fight. May

She fought a good fight. May her family be comforted

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    Dear god, NO. This just can't

Dear god, NO. This just can't be. How did it get so bad, so quickly? I'm heartbroken. Thank you for letting us know, Cheerful. 

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 963 Member
    Pinky fought

to the end.  She is an inspiration.   She has been brave and thoughtful and helpful.   And now she has our love on her next journey.

• SF73
    SF73 Member Posts: 317 Member
    I am so sorry. My heart

I am so sorry. My heart breaks for her husband. It always seemed like they were such a good team. How could his happen? I was sure she would beat this again. The recurrence is not in a vital organ. Is there really little hope? I at least hope she knows what she means to all of us. Thank you, cheerful, for letting us know. 

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    Hugs to Pinky

Cheerful, thank you for letting us know.  Please ask Pinky's husband to let her know we have been missing her and praying for her and that we are so proud of her for fighting!

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Article: I’m sorry I didn’t beat cancer

I found this article interesting. Unfortunately the author died shortly after penning it. 

https://uzmamd.com/2016/07/03/i-am-sorry-i-didnt-beat-cancer/?fbclid=IwAR0QuFcXsPPAlUa4tWV3rz_fqtsA8bnt1TsSty_0lQvibdffFDIwHvD-mAc

• Tamlen
    Tamlen Member Posts: 343 Member
    Oh no!

Pinky has been such an inspiration to me. Thank you, Pinky, for all you contributed to the wellbeing of so many women here.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,358 Member
    cheerful, we have been so

cheerful, we have been so concerned about her and I am very appreciative that you have shared this news with us.  It is heartbreaking, and I have tears in my eyes as I type this.  I think we all knew her fight was courageous but it doesn't make it any easier to hear.  I think we all grow tired of losing our dear friends, and while it is difficult to visit the board to hear of these things, the love and  knowledge all the wonderful women (and men) have shared is always something to buoy us in these rough waters. God bless this wonderful woman, pinky.  May He hold her family close in these difficult days. 

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Thank you, Jane, for this

Thank you, Jane, for this update. I have been thinking about our Pinky104 lately. She was my hero surviving UPSC for all those years. I just went back and read her posts from last February and all she went through with this recurrence. She mentioned she was a farm girl and how tough she was. Yes, she was!! She also cautioned about not paying attention to symptoms and pushing doctors to check into things even if scans were negative and CA125 numbers were low. 

I hope she is not in pain and knows our little army of cancer warriors is all thinking of and praying for her and her husband.  

Love,

Eldri

• Flufff
    Flufff Member Posts: 67
    Didn’t know her.

but I’m so sorry for your loss. :(

My deepest condolences. 

• Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571
    Pinky

Thank you for sharing Pinky’s final days in her fight against cancer. I pray she is kept comfortable. It is so hard to hear this news as she is a long term survivor. God bless her and keep her in his grace.

Lori

• Jairoldi
    Jairoldi Member Posts: 221 Member
    Hard to hear

Yes,thanks for sharing. Its always hard to hear when friends aren't thriving. Pinky is such an inspiration. I wish her, and those that love her, peace as they walk through these difficult days.