Hall Pass For Two More Weeks...

mojogirl67
mojogirl67 Member Posts: 306

I got back to my moutain place yesterday. After having labs drawn (all looked good), I hit the road. It has been six weeks since surgery. Honestly, this weekend was the first time I actually thought I might turn the corner on this. This surgery was no picnic and I NEVER want to go thru anything like it again. I lost about 10lbs so I am trying to put that back on in the next two weeks before I start back on chemo. My oncologist discussed everything. Her thoughts were that she would do the mop-up chemo. I have done 5 of the standard 12 sessions so that would leave 7. I asked her why I would use chemo as a prevenitive to recurrence with my liver when the initial path said my liver tumors had a poor response to the Folfox. She said she thought the poor response was due to the fact that the two tumors were already very large. She said she would do the remaining chemo to kill any cells floating around. Since my liver should be "clean" now, she said she thought the response would be positive with anything in the liver. I agreed to do as many of the remaining sessions as I felt like my body could handle. If I don't do well, I'll stop....simple as that. I have already decided that I will not do surgery or chemo again if the cancer spreads. When this mop-up chemo is done, I want the port out and will let life play out for me as it comes. Buuuuttttt...I am not ready to go just yet, lol...I am going to kick this and slide in sideways withy a smile when my time comes!! 

I have two more weeks of recovery and will start with the mop-up on the 16th...yuck! I won't have Avastin so maybe that will play in my favor as far as how I feel physically. I got thru 5 sessions relatively well, so I am hoping the second 5 won't be that bad since I've had a break to get some of the first "juice" out of my body. I hope this finds everybody with something good in their world and off to a great morning. I am going to savor every second of the next two weeks in the mountains before I have to return to SC for treatment. My plan is to go to my daughter's, have my treatment, stay until the pump is disconnected from me and then hit the road back to my mountains that same day. It's only about a 2 1/2 hr drive and my yuck days are usually the two right after the pump is disconnected so I would be back in my own place before they hit . I guess I will just have to play it by ear and see how the next rounds of chemo hit me and pray they don't knock me down hard.  HUGS....M 

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    edited April 2019 #2
    It sounds like you have a

It sounds like you have a good plan in mind so that helps a lot. I think one of the worst parts of this is the feeling of having no control over anything from treatment to how our bodies react. Enjoy your break! When I stop having chemo every time I feel like I've been let out of prison. It's a lovely feeling. And it makes me feel like I own my own body again for a while.

Jan

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Peace

It sounds like you are at peace with your decisions.  I hope you have an enjoyable mountain stay and a bearable course of chemo.  Best of luck.

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    Having a plan helps

Or at least it did for me--I am glad you will not be doing the Avastin, I am very leery of that drug since the FDA pulled it for breast CA in 2011, my oncologist said there have not been any studies that definitely show it improves longevity enough to risk the side effects.  I hope you are feeling better about things!  Also I was told the protocol at Mayo Phoenix and at my docs in Virginia that they think 8 rounds of FOLFOX is enough, so as to prevent permanent neuropathy. I was told here in AZ 12 rounds so I guess its not hard and fast rules on it! PErsonally if my restaging scans in May show new growth I may just do oral 5 FU not FOlFIRI. Have felt so great not being on IV Chemo I don't want to go back to being a lump in bed, so I am on board with your fellings and plan! Hugs (gentle) to you!

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Sounds like the plans are

Sounds like the plans are laid and you're in a pretty good place, M. My getting away from it all these days is grabbing a beer, and heading to the garage to sort and straighten stuff, lol. Hope it all runs smoothly for you.........................................................Dave

• mojogirl67
    JanJan63 said:

It sounds like you have a

It sounds like you have a good plan in mind so that helps a lot. I think one of the worst parts of this is the feeling of having no control over anything from treatment to how our bodies react. Enjoy your break! When I stop having chemo every time I feel like I've been let out of prison. It's a lovely feeling. And it makes me feel like I own my own body again for a while.

Jan

Let Out Of Prison..

How right you are...being off chemo does feel like you are out of prison. I guess we all do what we have to do. I hate it but I'm going to try and finish as many rounds as I can. Best of luck to you with your tax situation and your beloved horse. Hugs!..M

• mojogirl67

Peace

It sounds like you are at peace with your decisions.  I hope you have an enjoyable mountain stay and a bearable course of chemo.  Best of luck.

Peace..

I guess it's human nature to be anxious about the unknown but I've made the best "peace" I can for now. Thank you and congrats on your "all clear" status!! Hugs, M

• mojogirl67

Having a plan helps

Or at least it did for me--I am glad you will not be doing the Avastin, I am very leery of that drug since the FDA pulled it for breast CA in 2011, my oncologist said there have not been any studies that definitely show it improves longevity enough to risk the side effects.  I hope you are feeling better about things!  Also I was told the protocol at Mayo Phoenix and at my docs in Virginia that they think 8 rounds of FOLFOX is enough, so as to prevent permanent neuropathy. I was told here in AZ 12 rounds so I guess its not hard and fast rules on it! PErsonally if my restaging scans in May show new growth I may just do oral 5 FU not FOlFIRI. Have felt so great not being on IV Chemo I don't want to go back to being a lump in bed, so I am on board with your fellings and plan! Hugs (gentle) to you!

Who knows ?!?

I'm not sure how many rounds I will make it thru but I wll give it a shot. I still hate the thought of chemo but I want to know I gave it my best shot coming out of the gate. Thank you for the encouragement and support!!

• mojogirl67

Sounds like the plans are

Sounds like the plans are laid and you're in a pretty good place, M. My getting away from it all these days is grabbing a beer, and heading to the garage to sort and straighten stuff, lol. Hope it all runs smoothly for you.........................................................Dave

Plans Laid

Dave, I guess a plan is in place. Life seems to have been on shaky ground for the past few years so nothing surprises me anymore. I'm glad you have a garage to spend time in. My husband loved to be in his even when he was sick.  I have done NOTHING for the past few weeks but rest from the surgery. My little place in the mountains gives me something to look forward to while I'm in SC for chemo. Once they take the pump off, I will head straight to the hills and enjoy the "good days" that follow the two "yuck" days after disconnecting the pump. I'm just hoping and praying the plan I settled on is the one that will rid me of this damn disease from my life! Hoping this finds you well and happy!..hugs, M