Radiation Fatigue

Options
Burgie
Burgie Member Posts: 14

Hello All,

It's been a while since writting or read here.  I was diagnosed with Stage 4 locally advanced PC last Sept.  Went on a trial of Lupron, Zytiga for 6 months then RP.  Everything went well.  Because of my Lymph node involvement (3 still had cancer) they suggested 8 weeks of radiation followed by 18 weeks of Docetaxal (chemo).  I just completed by 2nd week of radiation and I am absolutely exhausted.  I am 47 years old and in fairly good health and fit (except for my PC).  Can anyone comment on the fatigue so early on in my rad treament?  I was told I would be tired but towards the end of treatment.  I also need to mention that my treatments are at 6:45 am each day so I am up at 4:15 am but I do go to bed a little earlier. - Thanks

~ Burgie

Comments

• G53
    G53 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Exercise

If you do daily exercise you will not experience fatigue.

A friend of mine swam several miles every morning and did jogging several miles every evening. He did not suffer from fatigue. No surprise I guess.

Yoga can also help with radiation induced fatigue - see this article: (please copy and paste the link)

http://time.com/4733412/yoga-cancer-treatment-fatigue-pain/?_ga=1.134954548.451188973.1492378350

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Fatigue

hits all of us radiation folks in slightly different ways.

As G53 wrote, exercise will help, but it takes will power to get over the lethargy barrier.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,647 Member
    Options
    Afternoon naps

I concur with the above survivors. Radiation causes fatigue as our immune system tries to recuperate. Better diet and a change in life style (adaptable fitness program and afternoon naps) may help to counter the effects.

I did golf on weekends and walk my dogs every day (stopping here and there to recover my breath).

Best of lucks.

VG

• Burgie
    Burgie Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2018 #5
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback.  Part of my issue is that I am up at 4:15 am as treatment is at 6:30.  Sounds like I need to stop at the gym on the way home to get in a workout even if for 30 minutes.  I am also lokking into the yoga thing as well.

THanks and good luck

~ Burgie