Husband just diagnosed with Prostrate cancer

ADeming1
ADeming1 Member Posts: 1

Hello.  

I just joined this group and hope that I am able to get different insight other than what it her sources we've been reading.

My husband had two surgeries for colon cancer about seven yrs ago. He had part of his colon removed. All went well and his recent colon check revealed only a few polyps which were removed.  

He is 67 next month and is active and in good health. He is on blood pressure meds and doing fine in that Dept.  As part of his checkup with his reg Dr his psa number came back as 6.1.  on recommendation he saw a urologist who examined him and found a lump. Two weeks later he had an ultrasound And they took twelve biopsys.  Results came back stating three our of the 12 we're cancer and his gleAson score was 3.1 and his psa was 4.2

His urologist says based in test results, age and health he suggests wait and see (surveillance).   He followed up with his internist to see what he thought and he feels strongly about considering surgery.    He returned to the urologist to discuss options again and was told he was not a candidate for radiation or da Vinci surgery because of his colon surgeries.  If he wanted surgery it would be the radical type spelling out all risks.   

We are trying to see if this is true but cannot find any info as of yet.  Husband contacted a Dr who performs the da Vinci but they won't provice any info until you make an appt to see them.   He is leaning towards surgery but of course this question has an impact on the decision.

Currently we are now in Florida full time or the past four years and all his other health care was provided in CT.  We do not have much experience with the medical community here.   

My apologies for the lack of medical details but I'm trying to start gathering anything I can to help him with his decision.   He knows it's a big decision and it is getting frustrating to him as he fears making a bad decision.   I prefer to get info from a variety of sources and feel personal insights of people who have hands on experience counts for a lot.

Thank you in advance for anything that anyone would like to share.   

Comments

• fishinguy
    fishinguy Member Posts: 18
    Welcome

Welcome ADeming1, but sorry you have to look us up.    While no expert, with a Gleason score of 6 you have time to consder your options, which sound somewhat limited by what you've spelled out so far.   And, not something I persomally have experience.   Curious of the surgery directions stated.   Both Open and di Vinci robotic are considered radical surgeries as the entire prostate is removed.   So I assume you mean your urologist is suggesting Open surgery, using his hands versus the robot.    I have read the excessive scar tissue can be an issue for Robotic surgery based on where and why it exists.  

You are right to contiue looking for additonal opinions and answers, and active surveilance may be right for you, for sure in the near term while researching, (without knowing your details) but perhaps long term as well.  Best of luck to you both.

I think his early fear is the same as most all of us, a fear of a bad decision.   I know that weighed on me heavily, early.   It will get clear the more you study and learn.   Eventually, sometime after you've completely confused yourself a few times, then took a short break from the research only to return, ( a few times more, I might add)  will you know what is right for you, and then trust your gut.   ...And don't look back.

• ASAdvocate
    ASAdvocate Member Posts: 193 Member
    edited March 2018 #3
    The default recommendation is Active Surveillance

The new guidelines from the American Urological Association, the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, and the American Society of Radiation Oncologists all suggest active surveillance for his diagnosis, as it is known at this time.

I have been on AS for nine years, and my tests have not shown any upgrade in my cancer, allowing me to live these years without the often-tragic side effects of treatments.

So, he should use this time to have further tests to make sure that no cancer was missed and that was correctly assesed by the pathologist. In my opinion, he should find a practice with a strict AS protocol and consider that his best treatment option at this time.

I

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    Tenth year active surveillance

As ASAdvocate, I have been monitored for several years, and have avoided the potential side effects of a radical treatment such as surgery or radiation, etc. During this time technology has improved so if I ever need an Active Treatment, which I hope will be never, the treatment will be more effective. Also during this time, I have had a chance to learn about the various treatment modalities, so I can make a best choice if I need to choose. Studies have shown that a man can still choose the same treatmetn that he might have at diagnosis without ill effects iif monitoried in a valid active surveillance program.

During the time that I have been monitored techinology has improved, so if I am ever treated, there will be a better outcome. Also I have had more of a chance to study, and make a "best" treatment choice.

I was 66 at time of diagnosis. Am 75 now.

If you click my name to the left, all medical diagnostic tests are listed, as any and all pertinent information about my prostate cancer and resources.

As I understand there are three cores of 3+3=6 that were found in your husbands biopsy. What is the extent of the cancer in each of the cores that were positive, that is what percent of the core(s) were involved (cancerous)? 

Also what is the size of your husbands prostate?

The above is important as qualifiers for Active Surveillance.

Recommend that your husband have a T3 MRI which may determine extracapsular extension, show one or two lobes and possible amount of cancer in the prostate.

Best to be monitored by a urologist who specializes in AS who is in a major institution of excellence.

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 980 Member
    edited March 2018 #5
    More study needed?

Hi ADeming.

I would look into more testing to pinpoint the exact location of the cancer.  Is it close to the edge of the Prostate or buried deep inside?  This could tell you how much time you have to address the cancer before it escapes the Prostate.  Once you get some more definitive imaging tests(T3MRI, Pet/CT?) you should know what your are up against, that will help you make a decison on your course of treament(s). If it is 3+3 then you have some time.  Don't be afraid to get a second opinion from another oncologist and/or urologist even if it's at another hospital.  Know you both are afraid but the knowledge you gain by doing the research + testing should point you in the right direction.  Let us know if we can help, most people on this board are cancer survivors and someone has probably had the type of treament that you want to persue.

Dave 3+4

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    Active Surveillance for low grade disease quite often life long

since studies have indicated that many men die with, not because of prostate cancer, many  men are monitored for the remained of their lives, and never seek active treatment. Here is an autopsy study that confirms this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4682465/

Approximately 70 percent of men who qualify for Active Surveillance will die with, not because of prostate cancer, and aggressive treatment such as surgery or radiation will not be required, thus eliminating over treatment.  Of those 30 percent of men who have aggressive cancer in sheeps clothing, these men who are monitored in an active surveillance program will be able to be treated with what they would have choosen.

it is not inevitable to have surgery or radiation treatment. 

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,284 Member
    Good advice, so far

Except from the internist, who is way out of his area of expertise.

• Rickdean
    Rickdean Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2018 #8
    Check out my recent Di Vinci experience 2 weeks ago

https://csn.cancer.org/node/315596