just had open partial nephrectomy

NephroMan
NephroMan Member Posts: 10
edited August 2017 in Kidney Cancer #1

thank you all for preparing me? I can barely stay awake.

Comments

• BoondockSaint
    BoondockSaint Member Posts: 242 Member
    edited August 2017 #2

Rest my friend......rest. There will be time to hash out the incidentals soon enough.

Glad you had a successful surgery.

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Piece of cake

Nepro,

Or shoud I say Kidney Pie. Only those who  have been nephed can laugh about it.

Icemantoo

• Congratulations.  The worst

Congratulations.  The worst is over. First couple of days of recovery were a bit painful, but after that, it was easy.  I was walking 4 miles per day 3 days after surgery.

• Retcenturion
    Retcenturion Member Posts: 240 Member
    Congratulations on surgery

Rest is good...listen to your body. I would recommend to increase your fluids if on pain meds. I thought I was drinking enough but it wasn't. Hoping you have easy recovery.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Yes, the worst is over. Yay

Yes, the worst is over. Yay you! Rest is good but walk as soon as they say you can. It will help in healing, keeping your lungs clear, and getting rid of gas and getting things moving, so to speak.

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    YAAY, its over!! You are

YAAY, its over!! You are "under the influence" of general anesthesia, with opiates now. You WILL be a bit off, sleepy for a bit!

Let us know how you are doing. We're here for you!

Sending you healing hugs, 

P.S. don't forget ICE compresses are your friend.

Jan

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    Sleepy is...

Sleepy is where it's at, at least for starters. You'll get there...!

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member

Congratulations.  The worst

Congratulations.  The worst is over. First couple of days of recovery were a bit painful, but after that, it was easy.  I was walking 4 miles per day 3 days after surgery.

For me...

For me, it seemed as though I was walking 4 miles per day, 3 days after surgery. It also felt as if I'd been hit by a truck, 2 days after surgery. It was more like maybe 1 mile that I walked. The good news is, all those 5 minute walks add up, plus you'll feel a little better every day (YMMV).

• NephroMan
    edited August 2017 #10
    Thank you

Thanks Everyone. i just got home after two days un hospital. The pain fro intestinal bloating is worse than the incision pain. 3 days of only liquids. I am glad the cancer is gone but I was not expecting this much discomfort.

I hope you are all well.

• NephroMan

Congratulations.  The worst

that's impressive. i woukd be

that's impressive. i woukd be happy with a BM

• Steve.Adam
    Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member
    NephroMan said:

that's impressive. i woukd be

that's impressive. i woukd be happy with a BM

This too shall pass

That thought transported me back in time...

I know exactly how you feel.

Steve.

• NephroMan
    edited August 2017 #13

Congratulations on surgery

Rest is good...listen to your body. I would recommend to increase your fluids if on pain meds. I thought I was drinking enough but it wasn't. Hoping you have easy recovery.

you know what, i didnt drunk

you know what, i didnt drunk much today. thanks for tge reminder!

• NephroMan
    edited August 2017 #14
    Each day is better now.

Each day is better now. finally passing some gas. Anxious about pathology

• daisybud
    daisybud Member Posts: 541 Member
    It

Gets better everyday.  Wishing you a fast recovery :)

• Retcenturion
    Retcenturion Member Posts: 240 Member
    Glad your recovering

Good to hear your recovering well. The Path report put into perspective the beast was out of my body. Its hard waiting for it. On the American Cancer sight, there is a Page on staging cancer.I found it helpful after seeing surgeon  to explain the report. Positive thoughts for a good report.

• NephroMan
    daisybud said:

It

Gets better everyday.  Wishing you a fast recovery :)

thank you :)

thank you :)

• NephroMan
    edited August 2017 #18

Glad your recovering

Good to hear your recovering well. The Path report put into perspective the beast was out of my body. Its hard waiting for it. On the American Cancer sight, there is a Page on staging cancer.I found it helpful after seeing surgeon  to explain the report. Positive thoughts for a good report.

thank you. they said just get

thank you. they said just get a scan in a year. i thought sooner. hmm.

• BoondockSaint
    BoondockSaint Member Posts: 242 Member
    Our Oncologist was suggesting

Our Oncologist was suggesting yearly scans too given my wife's stage and path report. However, I pressed him a bit and said that we wanted to do 6 mo. scans at least for the first couple years. He was totally fine with it.

Sometimes you have to be your own advocate. If you feel better with scans closer together, tell them. Either they listen and get it done or you find somebody who will.

glad you are on the good side of surgery. Press on and enjoy life.

• lobbyist0724
    lobbyist0724 Member Posts: 515 Member
    Congratulatiions NeprhoMan,

Congratulatiions NeprhoMan, please spend sometime to fill out the My CSN Space with your journey, so we can know what you are experiencing :)

In terms of follow up, we should at least follow the guideline from AUA or CUA. I asked my urologist to do US everysound and CXR every 4 months for first year.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    While I hated the scanxiety I

While I hated the scanxiety I'm glad they had me come in every six months for the first 2 1/2 years. I was stage 1 grade 3.