cancer at 22 years old possible. sonogram tomorrow

So tomorrow i have a sonogram and i. Just learning to use the discussion board. Im not quite aure if i am doing this right. 

Ihave had a swollen lymphnode in my neck for a while and one in the crease of my tthigh and abdomen. 

Anyways. Point here is i am breast feeding and i had notice a lump under my armpit when i was pregnant . my doctor had told me i needed to have it biopsied thwn in the middle of pregnancy i switched back to my old doctor. A few weeks ago i noticed it was still there because i had an unusual pain in my left breast . i saw a doctor and they put me on antibiotics for 10 days.  It did not go away. Now three weeks later i have one that just appeared under my right armpit. 

My doctor told me that breast feeding could be masking breast cancer. I guess im ro optimistic to think i have cancer. I am only 22 years old.  

Tthe reason for mentioning the one in my geoin area and neck is because i had forgot all about them until i just realized i had the ones inmy armpits. The one in my groin is very hard and fixed. The ones in my armpits are kind of moveable and so ia the one in my neck. 

Im not sick i dont have any infections or anything. 

So with that being said ... 

Can a sonogram actually pick up breast cancer or lymphoma? 

Should i be coconcerned or what could cause it besides Cancer. 

Is this normal has anyone else had this ?

Comments

• OO7
    OO7 Member Posts: 281
    Sonogram

Congratulations on your baby and I'm terribly sad you have to be concerned with your health at this point in your life.

To address your question about your upcoming sonogram, they will be able to identify any abnormalities such as size and shape.  Most likely they will be measured, location document and at the very least keep watching for any changes.  Sonogram itself will not pick up cancer, a PET scan will.  They do prelinimary tests to see if a PET is warranted.

Personally I have lymphoma, which presented in the breast ten years before it was diagnosised.  Mine is indolent,very slow growing and most lymphomas are very treatable so please keep that in mind.

I too had one in my groin, that was only found after a PET scan.

Sould you be concerned?  I would like to say you should be aware and well informed of what is going on.  One of my favorite doctors told me not to worry, that was his job.  It was good advise.

I hope this NOTHING but glad your having it checked out.  I would be a little concerned but I learned never to cry over the spilled milk until it spilled (so to speak).  It could me something as simple as an infection but it's best to be vigalent. 

Best of luck to you!

• leighaa93
    leighaa93 Member Posts: 30
    OO7 said:

Sonogram

Congratulations on your baby and I'm terribly sad you have to be concerned with your health at this point in your life.

To address your question about your upcoming sonogram, they will be able to identify any abnormalities such as size and shape.  Most likely they will be measured, location document and at the very least keep watching for any changes.  Sonogram itself will not pick up cancer, a PET scan will.  They do prelinimary tests to see if a PET is warranted.

Personally I have lymphoma, which presented in the breast ten years before it was diagnosised.  Mine is indolent,very slow growing and most lymphomas are very treatable so please keep that in mind.

I too had one in my groin, that was only found after a PET scan.

Sould you be concerned?  I would like to say you should be aware and well informed of what is going on.  One of my favorite doctors told me not to worry, that was his job.  It was good advise.

I hope this NOTHING but glad your having it checked out.  I would be a little concerned but I learned never to cry over the spilled milk until it spilled (so to speak).  It could me something as simple as an infection but it's best to be vigalent. 

Best of luck to you!

Thank you for the reply ! Im

Thank you for the reply ! Im not really in belief i have cancer bit when i was 19 i had stage 0 carcinoma insitu in my cervix and my doctor had told me he doubted anything was wrong and not to worry and a few days later  he called me in and told me the news. Luckily i was able to have it removed in time because he said it progressed faster than he has ever seen and it was rare because i was so young. 

I was more hoping yo aee if there are any other conditions that may xcause these nodes to be swollen . 

If you dont mind me asking how were you lead to your diagnosis of lymphoma in your breast ?

• OO7
    leighaa93 said:

Thank you for the reply ! Im

Thank you for the reply ! Im not really in belief i have cancer bit when i was 19 i had stage 0 carcinoma insitu in my cervix and my doctor had told me he doubted anything was wrong and not to worry and a few days later  he called me in and told me the news. Luckily i was able to have it removed in time because he said it progressed faster than he has ever seen and it was rare because i was so young. 

I was more hoping yo aee if there are any other conditions that may xcause these nodes to be swollen . 

If you dont mind me asking how were you lead to your diagnosis of lymphoma in your breast ?

Infection is most common

Infection is most common cause for swollen lymph nodes, when the infection is gone they resume to original size.  Lymphoma nodes never go away.

As for the breast, I had a small pea sized spot that I found.  It was hard and had an emergency mammogramogram.  That was ten years before I had a swollen lymph node present in my jaw that ultimately lead to my diagnosis .  The node in my breast was watched and grew over the years and they continued to tell me it was NOTHING.  I was in perfect health otherwise, gym rat and ate very well. I recall after a physical my doctor exclaimed that I was in perfect form, I was is what he wanted all his patients to be.  He admitted he never met someone in such good health.......  Little did we both know.

The swollen lymph node in my jaw is what got the attention of the doctors yet the one in my breast was exploding too and that one was dismissed.  I had a series of tests, scans and biopsies before it was confirmed.

Good luck and Keep me posted.  Ask me any questions, happy to answere (if I can).

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    Welcome

Leigha,

It is very saddening to see someone as young as you asking questions here.  Yes, lymphoma and its sister disease leukemia can happen to anyone, at any age. A friend who is 54 now had it when he was 16 in high school; stage 4. But he got through it, and treatments are much better now than then. Six years ago, when at my cancer center, I was in the waiting area and a group of kids who were about 17 -18 had gathered around a girl, who one mentioned was 18 years of age. She had been diagnosed with lymphoma, and was waiting for a bone marrow biopsy.  I wept a little at the thought of her, so vital and beautiful, facing all of this mess. The other kids were her high school classmates.

There are a variety of things you could have, or possilby nothing serious.  What seems most worrisome to me is how WIDESPREAD your discovered nodes are, and a previous case of cancer in your medical history.  A sonogram is of value, but I would recommend a CT in your case. Neither of these tests "confirms" lymphoma, but they will tell the doctor if a biopsy is warrented. I would be pushy and demand definitive answers until they are provided.   What a doctor "can live with" might not be something you can live with.  Again, be demanding at this point.

Wishing you the best, and a negative diagnosis (be aware, 'negative' in medicine means 'no disease'),

max

• leighaa93

Welcome

Leigha,

It is very saddening to see someone as young as you asking questions here.  Yes, lymphoma and its sister disease leukemia can happen to anyone, at any age. A friend who is 54 now had it when he was 16 in high school; stage 4. But he got through it, and treatments are much better now than then. Six years ago, when at my cancer center, I was in the waiting area and a group of kids who were about 17 -18 had gathered around a girl, who one mentioned was 18 years of age. She had been diagnosed with lymphoma, and was waiting for a bone marrow biopsy.  I wept a little at the thought of her, so vital and beautiful, facing all of this mess. The other kids were her high school classmates.

There are a variety of things you could have, or possilby nothing serious.  What seems most worrisome to me is how WIDESPREAD your discovered nodes are, and a previous case of cancer in your medical history.  A sonogram is of value, but I would recommend a CT in your case. Neither of these tests "confirms" lymphoma, but they will tell the doctor if a biopsy is warrented. I would be pushy and demand definitive answers until they are provided.   What a doctor "can live with" might not be something you can live with.  Again, be demanding at this point.

Wishing you the best, and a negative diagnosis (be aware, 'negative' in medicine means 'no disease'),

max

thank you both

Thank you both for the replies. I amreally glad ijoined this forum. 

I dont have any family to really discuss this with.  I do know the doctor ifirst saw when i was pregnant with my daughter said i needed to have the one biopsied in my neck as soon as i had her but i just let it go. I think im more embarrased of really saying anything to my family because i dont want to be looked at as a hypochondriac.  The doctor i am seeing now is crom a family health clinic and shes the one who has ordered the sonogram.  Tmi; she had told me my breast felt lumpy but she doesnt know whats normal for my breast tissue because of breast feeding etc. Which was weird and thats when she told me with breast feesing it very well could be masking cancer and she wanted me to know that. I just kinda laughed like its probably not that. Maybe i am in denial? Im not sure. But maybe im not. She told me before i took the antibiotics that its a 50/50 chance i could have breast cancer . lol way to freak someone out,right?  Maybe thats why i am not over reacting.   

I dont want to over react or anything. 

I know you had said it can show abnormalties but not prove to be cancer. I am wondering will they tell me if there are any abnormalties

Also i never really mentioned this before because i was embarrased to ask my doctor if breast feeding can cause you to lose feeling in your breast at all ? Of course i know ut causes alot of changes etc but idk like my breast have lost alot of feeling . lol . 

I just dont remember that happening with my first born. 

I sont have any breast cancer symptoms that i know of. Or ssick that i know of. 

I actually just went to a doctor not too long ago to have my thyroid checked and it was clear.  My pap test was clear. 

I have lost alot of weight though, im smaller than i was before getting pregnant. I believe thats from breast feeding though. 

Iam never hungry either anymore. Itry to litlterally force feed myself. 

Im 5"8 and weigh like 113lbs.

Do you thibk if the sonorgrams come back okay i should push for biopsies? 

I Am sorry i am all over the place.  

Thank yall again so much for helping and being supportive. Deff fingers crocossed there is not anything to worry about. 

You are both very strong people and i wsh you both bestof luck ! 

• OO7
    leighaa93 said:

thank you both

Thank you both for the replies. I amreally glad ijoined this forum. 

I dont have any family to really discuss this with.  I do know the doctor ifirst saw when i was pregnant with my daughter said i needed to have the one biopsied in my neck as soon as i had her but i just let it go. I think im more embarrased of really saying anything to my family because i dont want to be looked at as a hypochondriac.  The doctor i am seeing now is crom a family health clinic and shes the one who has ordered the sonogram.  Tmi; she had told me my breast felt lumpy but she doesnt know whats normal for my breast tissue because of breast feeding etc. Which was weird and thats when she told me with breast feesing it very well could be masking cancer and she wanted me to know that. I just kinda laughed like its probably not that. Maybe i am in denial? Im not sure. But maybe im not. She told me before i took the antibiotics that its a 50/50 chance i could have breast cancer . lol way to freak someone out,right?  Maybe thats why i am not over reacting.   

I dont want to over react or anything. 

I know you had said it can show abnormalties but not prove to be cancer. I am wondering will they tell me if there are any abnormalties

Also i never really mentioned this before because i was embarrased to ask my doctor if breast feeding can cause you to lose feeling in your breast at all ? Of course i know ut causes alot of changes etc but idk like my breast have lost alot of feeling . lol . 

I just dont remember that happening with my first born. 

I sont have any breast cancer symptoms that i know of. Or ssick that i know of. 

I actually just went to a doctor not too long ago to have my thyroid checked and it was clear.  My pap test was clear. 

I have lost alot of weight though, im smaller than i was before getting pregnant. I believe thats from breast feeding though. 

Iam never hungry either anymore. Itry to litlterally force feed myself. 

Im 5"8 and weigh like 113lbs.

Do you thibk if the sonorgrams come back okay i should push for biopsies? 

I Am sorry i am all over the place.  

Thank yall again so much for helping and being supportive. Deff fingers crocossed there is not anything to worry about. 

You are both very strong people and i wsh you both bestof luck ! 

Yes...

I never thought I would ever here those three words.  You have cancer.

I too am a mother, I have two children and breast fed both.  I know when the milk ducts are full they can be lumpy.  Correction they are.  At least mine were.  As for feeling loss?  I don't think so.  I would write a list of questions and concerns for your doctor and remember there are NO STUPID questions.  Ask away, each and every last one you have.

Breast cancer is a beast.  Don't mess around with that one and because of your age it can be more aggressive.   I don't want to scare you but from one mother to another, you need to take care of yourself.  As for your family, that can be tricky but you will need support.  To this day I never told my family I have cancer.  I would not wish that on my worst enemy.  My father was  diagnosed three weeks after I was. I had to protect them and that was my choice, my hell and my act of love for them.  I just lost my father.  For me hiding my cancer was possibly harder than the cancer itself.

Perhps you have nothing and we can all do a happy dance but until that day comes take it seriously, be diligent and get the biopsie, scans, everything the doctors suggests.  Think of it this way, the sonogram is the first step.  Please be thorough when you meet with your doctor, personally I make lists so I do t forget anything.   Pre-diagnosis I felt fine although I had symptoms I discounted everyone of them.  

Best of Luck!  

• leighaa93
    OO7 said:

Yes...

I never thought I would ever here those three words.  You have cancer.

I too am a mother, I have two children and breast fed both.  I know when the milk ducts are full they can be lumpy.  Correction they are.  At least mine were.  As for feeling loss?  I don't think so.  I would write a list of questions and concerns for your doctor and remember there are NO STUPID questions.  Ask away, each and every last one you have.

Breast cancer is a beast.  Don't mess around with that one and because of your age it can be more aggressive.   I don't want to scare you but from one mother to another, you need to take care of yourself.  As for your family, that can be tricky but you will need support.  To this day I never told my family I have cancer.  I would not wish that on my worst enemy.  My father was  diagnosed three weeks after I was. I had to protect them and that was my choice, my hell and my act of love for them.  I just lost my father.  For me hiding my cancer was possibly harder than the cancer itself.

Perhps you have nothing and we can all do a happy dance but until that day comes take it seriously, be diligent and get the biopsie, scans, everything the doctors suggests.  Think of it this way, the sonogram is the first step.  Please be thorough when you meet with your doctor, personally I make lists so I do t forget anything.   Pre-diagnosis I felt fine although I had symptoms I discounted everyone of them.  

Best of Luck!  

ultrasound of soft tissue extremity billateral

Not sure what that mean but the records office said the radiologist has not signed off yet on everything. 

Today they ended up doing ultrasounds of both sides of my groin and on both sides i had swollen nodes. Both of my armpits as well. Im just playing the waiting game now. The tech told me that since they have been there so long i should push for a biopsy if they do not goaway. They were not able to tell me anything today.  I guess i will have to wait until tomorrow.  

leighaa93 said:

ultrasound of soft tissue extremity billateral

Not sure what that mean but the records office said the radiologist has not signed off yet on everything. 

Today they ended up doing ultrasounds of both sides of my groin and on both sides i had swollen nodes. Both of my armpits as well. Im just playing the waiting game now. The tech told me that since they have been there so long i should push for a biopsy if they do not goaway. They were not able to tell me anything today.  I guess i will have to wait until tomorrow.  

bilateral

Leigha,

'Bilateral' simply means 'both sides.' It sounds like you heard part of the test description rather than a result.  Techs are almost universally prohibited from describing what they see on a scan, since they are not medically qualified to read them. Only the radiologist or oncologist can do that.

I hope you get good news tomorrow.

• leighaa93

bilateral

Leigha,

'Bilateral' simply means 'both sides.' It sounds like you heard part of the test description rather than a result.  Techs are almost universally prohibited from describing what they see on a scan, since they are not medically qualified to read them. Only the radiologist or oncologist can do that.

I hope you get good news tomorrow.

feeling emotional

Im feeling emotional today and im not sure why.  

I hope everyone has a good day. My head hurts really bad it was hurting when i went to sleep last night . stress lol. 

I keep asking myself sgould i be actually taking this seriously ? 

My fiance told me to not even worry about it .he was like theres nothing you can do anyways.  I responded with you just dont care and then he told me i was sselfish practically for talking about whats going on. Hecwas like oh what do you want from me to have a gour hour chat, you dont even know anything leigha wait tobhear from the doctor.

Like this is why i dont have anyone to talk to. Mayve im just emotional this morning because its just hitting me that im scared.  I might be overreacting butvjust on my grandmas side she has lost 10 family members to cancer in2 years. 

Im sorry to vent everyone.

Thanks so much for all of your support and experiences. I know i am totally over reacting at this point but i am just concerned. Because i have my two little ones. 

• OO7
    leighaa93 said:

feeling emotional

Im feeling emotional today and im not sure why.  

I hope everyone has a good day. My head hurts really bad it was hurting when i went to sleep last night . stress lol. 

I keep asking myself sgould i be actually taking this seriously ? 

My fiance told me to not even worry about it .he was like theres nothing you can do anyways.  I responded with you just dont care and then he told me i was sselfish practically for talking about whats going on. Hecwas like oh what do you want from me to have a gour hour chat, you dont even know anything leigha wait tobhear from the doctor.

Like this is why i dont have anyone to talk to. Mayve im just emotional this morning because its just hitting me that im scared.  I might be overreacting butvjust on my grandmas side she has lost 10 family members to cancer in2 years. 

Im sorry to vent everyone.

Thanks so much for all of your support and experiences. I know i am totally over reacting at this point but i am just concerned. Because i have my two little ones. 

You have every right to your emotions

there yours and they should be considered.  Don't feel bad for that.  One day at a time.  You can vent here all you need.  I totally understand.  Much more later.  I'm running later for guess what?  A doctor appointment.

Give yourself a hug, take a breath and be good to yourself.  I hope I didn't scare you, I just don't want to you dismiss your Heath.  

• leighaa93
    OO7 said:

You have every right to your emotions

there yours and they should be considered.  Don't feel bad for that.  One day at a time.  You can vent here all you need.  I totally understand.  Much more later.  I'm running later for guess what?  A doctor appointment.

Give yourself a hug, take a breath and be good to yourself.  I hope I didn't scare you, I just don't want to you dismiss your Heath.  

i wont know until tomorrow

The radiologist is still lookong over my ultraspunds and is proof reading everything.  I guess i wont find out anything until tomorrow.  Thd radiology dept wont tell me anything either. 

• OO7
    leighaa93 said:

i wont know until tomorrow

The radiologist is still lookong over my ultraspunds and is proof reading everything.  I guess i wont find out anything until tomorrow.  Thd radiology dept wont tell me anything either. 

Perhaps

that's a GOOD sign!  Fingers crossed!

• No Diagnosis

don't expect any kind of diagnosis based on an ultrasound. The most you can realistically expect is a recommendation for more testing, probably a CT. Lymphoma can only be diagnosed and defined by a biopsy.

• leighaa93
    unknown said:

No Diagnosis

don't expect any kind of diagnosis based on an ultrasound. The most you can realistically expect is a recommendation for more testing, probably a CT. Lymphoma can only be diagnosed and defined by a biopsy.

i know

I am just hoping they will say everything looks normal. The radiologist is only there twice a eeek. Although th prrson i spoke to over the phone said i should probably set up a follow up with my dr because they cannot tell me anythjng from the radiology dept . i am just going to wait to hear from my doctor. They will hopefully recieve it today.

I wonder why it is taking so long ? Glad you think its a good sign 007. I hope it is.  

• OO7
    leighaa93 said:

i know

I am just hoping they will say everything looks normal. The radiologist is only there twice a eeek. Although th prrson i spoke to over the phone said i should probably set up a follow up with my dr because they cannot tell me anythjng from the radiology dept . i am just going to wait to hear from my doctor. They will hopefully recieve it today.

I wonder why it is taking so long ? Glad you think its a good sign 007. I hope it is.  

Every place is different

Where I get my imaging, they keep us there and give us the results the same day.  In addition to that, in my experience bad news seems to come sooner verses later.  

Personally, I don't even wait anymore.  I know what I have and release myself.   I wait until I hear from the doctor Which in my case is my best friend.  I usually text him while I'm bored to tears in the waiting room, before I arrive home he calls me with the results.

I would always recommend a follow up with your doctor.

Best of Luck

• leighaa93
    OO7 said:

Every place is different

Where I get my imaging, they keep us there and give us the results the same day.  In addition to that, in my experience bad news seems to come sooner verses later.  

Personally, I don't even wait anymore.  I know what I have and release myself.   I wait until I hear from the doctor Which in my case is my best friend.  I usually text him while I'm bored to tears in the waiting room, before I arrive home he calls me with the results.

I would always recommend a follow up with your doctor.

Best of Luck

update

So the doctors sayihave a 2.8 cm lymp node under my arm the ones in my groin and under my other arm are fairly large. They didnt see any prpblems with my soft tissue . she said i can wait three mo ths and if they dont go away then i will have a biopsy done. She alsosaid i could do one now if it makes me feel better but for right now they are looking at them as reactive lymph nodes.  Im not sick so idk why they wpuld say maybe my body was in the process of fighting off a viral infection.  

Should i wait the three months or should i just go ahead and do it ? I dont want to be like oh yeah do it now and the dr look at me like a crazy lady lol 

Opinions wanted and needed 

• lindary
    lindary Member Posts: 711 Member
    leighaa93 said:

update

So the doctors sayihave a 2.8 cm lymp node under my arm the ones in my groin and under my other arm are fairly large. They didnt see any prpblems with my soft tissue . she said i can wait three mo ths and if they dont go away then i will have a biopsy done. She alsosaid i could do one now if it makes me feel better but for right now they are looking at them as reactive lymph nodes.  Im not sick so idk why they wpuld say maybe my body was in the process of fighting off a viral infection.  

Should i wait the three months or should i just go ahead and do it ? I dont want to be like oh yeah do it now and the dr look at me like a crazy lady lol 

waiting

The waiting is terrible. It is one thing when the person who did the test tells you the dr will have the results in 48 hours. You wait 2 days and if the dr hasn't called by the third day you call them. However when the person who did the test just says it will take a while for the results and your dr will call you once they get them. ???? You have no idea how long to wait until you give the dr a call.

My diagnosis was quick and it was just a matter of deciding the best treatment plan, which happened within 2 weeks. Since then things have not always gone so fast. I wouldn't say I gotten worried but then again, I am not waiting for a diagnosis, just when we start the next process.

Infections do cause lymph nodes to swell as do injuries. Cancer is the third option. In the long run you have to do what you feel is right for you. If you are going to be spending every day for the next 3 months worried that you have cancer, it might not be a bad idea to tell the dr you want a biopsy done now. On the other hand, if you feel that the amount of time you spend being worried is going down and that over the next 3 months you may even forget about it for a day or two, then just wait. But is is up to you.

leighaa93 said:

update

Agree

Like everyone else has mentioned, I will repeat that none of us can say what you ought to do. But you did solicit advice.

I would get the biopsy now. If it is negative, you have peace of mind. If it is positive,  you have not lost three months in beginning treatment. I cannot think of a compelling reason to wait.

• OO7
    leighaa93 said:

update

What do you feel

you should do?  I can't offer such advise but if I were In your shoes I would do it.  It's possible your fighting an infection???  Or not.

My doctors said that too and mine were WRONG.

Trust your instincts, no one will questions why your doing this (if you do) and personally I would careless if they did because this is YOUR life not theirs.  You need to trust your gut and take care of yourself.

If you don't do it that's OK too unless they don't go away.  Then I would absolutely do it.

Any surgery can be dangerous, even simple ones so of course you need to think this through.  I hope this helps.

Some types of lymphoma suggest a watch and wait protocol therefore depending on the type (which you won't know until you have a biopsy) you not have need to do anything right now.  Still these are questions unanswered, I'm not that kind of woman.  I'm a need to know kind of person.

Rest sleep on it, you'll ultimately know what to do on your own.

• leighaa93

Agree

Like everyone else has mentioned, I will repeat that none of us can say what you ought to do. But you did solicit advice.

I would get the biopsy now. If it is negative, you have peace of mind. If it is positive,  you have not lost three months in beginning treatment. I cannot think of a compelling reason to wait.

thank you for all of the replies

So after thinking about it i think i am going to call the dr monday and just go ahead and tell herbi would liek to get it done now. I mean best case scenario its nothing. But you are right qhy wait. I mean atleast i will know.