Curing breast cancer the natural way.....

Options
Donna Dee
Donna Dee Member Posts: 1
edited June 2014 in Breast Cancer #1

What are the odds of doing the natural way...... And what do i have to do... Does it really work?   I really don,t to do chemo and radiation..... Did anyone out there cure their cancer the natural way............I have eight days to make up my mind, Plz help me!!

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that your odds

My opinion is that your odds are zilch if you don't stick with a therapy that has been researched and proven, by a preponderance of evidence, to be effective.  If it was as easy as drinking kudzu tea or eating soursop, we would all be cured.

I was never expected to live as long as I have.  I was diagnosed in 1987 with Stage 3 - a time when fewer than 25% of women with Stage 3 made it 5 years.  I am still here fighting cancer after 27 years!  Sometimes I wonder why I have lived so long and feel guilty, but mostly I feel like I have lived this long to tell folks like you, "Just do it."  The therapies are not easy, but, if you communicate with your onc, the side effects can be managed.  Do it and stick to it!!!  Kick some cancer butt!!!!

• joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I always thought that

if I was diagnosed, I'd go the natural way...until I was in 2010. I did all the traditional treatment: lumpectomy (twice, 2nd time to get clean margins), 6 rounds of T/C and 33 radiation treatments.  I was 57 at time of diagnosis, worked full time and married for only 4 months. While not pleasant, it was doable. Not everyone has the side effects listed. My best friend is now going through chemo and other than losing her hair, she hasn't had any of the side effects that I had.

Now almost 4 years later, most of the experience is a distant memory.

Remember, all of the treatment is intended to give you the best chance at survival.

Good luck.

JoAnn

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I lived a 'natural way'

I lived a 'natural way' (whatever that is  supposed to mean) all my life.  I  am IBC and still NED after 4+ yrs post IBC DX.

There is absoluty NO ONE  who wants to do chemo/surgery/rads.

In my case, I did eveything I could to fight as hard as I could.  We are so different!  

What is your DX ( if there is one)?

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

I lived a 'natural way'

I lived a 'natural way' (whatever that is  supposed to mean) all my life.  I  am IBC and still NED after 4+ yrs post IBC DX.

There is absoluty NO ONE  who wants to do chemo/surgery/rads.

In my case, I did eveything I could to fight as hard as I could.  We are so different!  

What is your DX ( if there is one)?

All the Abbreviations**

IBC  ....  NED  ...  IBC DX     ???   I know that there is a page I can go to to understand all these abbreviations....but it would be so nice if we all just said what they are for those of us who are not UP on the latest...........   :)       Love the fight as hard as you could statement...hope you are still with us and still fighting hard  :)  

• GlowMore
    Options
    Natural Way?

I would advise you to get a good Oncologist.   Learn everything you can about your diagnosis.  Realize you cannot live in Fear.  Decide if you really want to live and then do what your doctors tell you is the best course.

It is not easy but you can do it.   I was diagnosed in 2002 with High Risk Triple Negative Invasive Ductile Breast Cancer Stage 3-A   ....and after a lumpectormy/a port implanted in my right chest under my right collar bone/six chemo treatments of FAC (5-FU/Adriamycin/Cytoxin) and then 31 Radiation Treatments)  weekly/monthly/bi-monthly blood tests etc/CT Scans/MRIs/PET Scans/Bone Scans/ ad infinitum..... I am still here ...so far with no recurrance after 12 years from diagnosis and 11 years from end of treatment.    

I had a friend who was also diagnosed in 2002 but she died in 2004.   Breast Cancer is a serious and deadly business and personally I doubt if the "natural way" will cut it.  One other very important thing for me is the fact that I have held on to Jesus Christ and I believe in God.....He has me in His Hand.   

I hope you will be able to face what you must.   Prayers and Hope being sent to you.  :)

• Rague
    Options
    GlowMore said:

All the Abbreviations**

IBC  ....  NED  ...  IBC DX     ???   I know that there is a page I can go to to understand all these abbreviations....but it would be so nice if we all just said what they are for those of us who are not UP on the latest...........   :)       Love the fight as hard as you could statement...hope you are still with us and still fighting hard  :)  

You've been dealing with IDC

You've been dealing with IDC (Invasive/Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma) since 2002 and do not know what NED (No Evidence of Disease) is?  Or that DX is diagnosis?   As your DX is IDC I can perhaps understand you not knowing that IBC is Inflammatory Breast Camcer as it is a different DX.  There are so many abbreviations that are used ALL the time, so it's a good idea to educate yourself instead of expecting others to not use common abbreviations.

Of course, I'm still 'here' and still 'fighting'!  Thank you.  My post was yesterday.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

• Rague
    Options
    Laetril

The first thing that comes to my mind when someone says they want to do 'natural/alternative' TX instead of conventual medicine, is how many foolishly bought into the laetril scam and then by the time they realized it was just 'snake oil', it was too late for medicine do much.

(Taxol/Taxetere might be considered to be a 'natural' TX as it comes from the bark of the Pacific Yew tree.)

There are many sites on line that purport to have testimonies of 'cures' but no real documentation/research to back up their 'claims'.  Just because something is written on line does not make it true.

Susan

• CypressCynthia
    Options
    Rague said:

Laetril

The first thing that comes to my mind when someone says they want to do 'natural/alternative' TX instead of conventual medicine, is how many foolishly bought into the laetril scam and then by the time they realized it was just 'snake oil', it was too late for medicine do much.

(Taxol/Taxetere might be considered to be a 'natural' TX as it comes from the bark of the Pacific Yew tree.)

There are many sites on line that purport to have testimonies of 'cures' but no real documentation/research to back up their 'claims'.  Just because something is written on line does not make it true.

Susan

Thanks Susan.  I too remember

Thanks Susan.  I too remember that one.  More recently, Steve Jobs refused conventional therapy.  He had been one of the "lucky" pancreatic cancer patients who had a neuroendocrine islet tumor which responds usually well to surgery.  He refused conventional treatment and went the alternative route.  Nuff said.

• Rague
    Options

Thanks Susan.  I too remember

Thanks Susan.  I too remember that one.  More recently, Steve Jobs refused conventional therapy.  He had been one of the "lucky" pancreatic cancer patients who had a neuroendocrine islet tumor which responds usually well to surgery.  He refused conventional treatment and went the alternative route.  Nuff said.

At the height of the Laetrill

At the height of the Laetrill scam a friend of mine's younger brother was DXd with leukemia.  The parents bought into the 'snake oil hype' and off to Mexico they went. instead of TX at Shands.  By the time they finally realized that it was doing nothing and he was getting much worse, came home and got him back into Shands, it wasn't long til he was gone.

Susan

• neelcancer
    neelcancer Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Natural way to treat Cancer

Hi Donna, though I'm not a cancer patient and I do not have experience of any cancer treatment, but as I love to read about new updates and findings in field of medical science. You can just try Immunotherapy as nowadays it is in trend and its success rate is also good. There is one more benefit of this treatment is that you can try this in parellel with other treatment. Recently I read story of a cancer survior from India who was at third stag and got cured perfectly.

• CypressCynthia
    Options

Natural way to treat Cancer

Hi Donna, though I'm not a cancer patient and I do not have experience of any cancer treatment, but as I love to read about new updates and findings in field of medical science. You can just try Immunotherapy as nowadays it is in trend and its success rate is also good. There is one more benefit of this treatment is that you can try this in parellel with other treatment. Recently I read story of a cancer survior from India who was at third stag and got cured perfectly.

Reading a story equals what is known as anecdotal evidence.  Anotherwords, one story does not constitute any proof whatsoever.  It takes numerous studies to make sure that the treatment is effective and not just a story.

Immunotherapy holds promise for many of us.  Unfortunately, it is still being tested and not either effective or available for those of us with breast cancer.

I keep saying that there is a reason that I am the Old-Timer on the board:  I have been 100% compliant with conventional therapies.  My cancer is incurable, but I have beat all odds by sticking to conventional treatment and learning to live with the side effects.  Alternative therapies have been helpful for coping with these side effects: exercise, healthy diet, a massage here and there, etc.

Good luck Donna!

PS The best way to read through the BS on the internet is to type in, for example, "estrogen receptor positive breast cancer review of the literature."  By adding review of the literature, you will tend to get more articles that analyze what is really available and effective.

• GlowMore
    Options
    Rague said:

You've been dealing with IDC

You've been dealing with IDC (Invasive/Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma) since 2002 and do not know what NED (No Evidence of Disease) is?  Or that DX is diagnosis?   As your DX is IDC I can perhaps understand you not knowing that IBC is Inflammatory Breast Camcer as it is a different DX.  There are so many abbreviations that are used ALL the time, so it's a good idea to educate yourself instead of expecting others to not use common abbreviations.

Of course, I'm still 'here' and still 'fighting'!  Thank you.  My post was yesterday.

Susan

well 'Rague' .... no I have

well 'Rague' .... no I have not educated myself about the abbreviations.   I can guess at some but it is nice to know what they mean and I've learned in the past 12 years not to worry too much about things I find stressful...and just deal with the NOW and what has to be done and conserving my energy.  :)    That one I answered had not posted in years...and I have not been on this site in years either until the last few weeks..... so glad you are still in the land of the living.  :)  What is "Winyan - The Power Within"  ??

• GlowMore
    Options
    Curing ....natural way....

One other thing I have learned is not to think in all these terms that they use.   Wake up each day with Gratitude ....take each day one day at a time.... every day is a new day and living in the NOW is actually all we do have in this World.  :)   I know you will make the right decision for yourself....You are the only one who can do that.  We will all be praying for you and sending you positive waves though.  :) 

• Rague
    Options
    GlowMore said:

well 'Rague' .... no I have

well 'Rague' .... no I have not educated myself about the abbreviations.   I can guess at some but it is nice to know what they mean and I've learned in the past 12 years not to worry too much about things I find stressful...and just deal with the NOW and what has to be done and conserving my energy.  :)    That one I answered had not posted in years...and I have not been on this site in years either until the last few weeks..... so glad you are still in the land of the living.  :)  What is "Winyan - The Power Within"  ??

Thank you for asking about the meaning behind 'Winyan - The Power Within'.  There is a very special meaning to me.  I have explained it in the past but do not mind at all as there are so many who have no idea about it.

'Winyan -The Power Within' is from the 'slogan' (for lack of a better word) of my Women's Veterans Group.  Very basically, it means that as women we have so much power within ourselves to do/handle whatever is needed if we but use that strength. Winyan is Lakota (Sioux) for 'woman'.  I live in the Black Hills area of SD so we have a lot of Lakota history here.  So yes, it does have a very basic meaning - but it also has meanings (especially to me) that encompass so many things and fits any 'hard time'.  I  can never write it without thinking of a very dear 'Sister' who also wore dogtags.  She had been an RN in Nam (thus exposed to Agent Orange) and fought some really bizarrre BCs for years.  She had lost her battle with BC before I started mine, I saw her strength and draw from it still.  Hope that explains.

Susan

• 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Curing ....natural way....

One other thing I have learned is not to think in all these terms that they use.   Wake up each day with Gratitude ....take each day one day at a time.... every day is a new day and living in the NOW is actually all we do have in this World.  :)   I know you will make the right decision for yourself....You are the only one who can do that.  We will all be praying for you and sending you positive waves though.  :) 

natural medicine

Donna

You do have a very big decision to make. I trust that you will make the decision that is right for you. That being said in my opinion, (and this is just my thoughts) why don't you discuss complimentary treatment with your oncologist. If your oncologist is open to alternative therapies you may be able to negate some of the side effects of treatment. Love Surf

• emilyw85
    emilyw85 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    I believe in traditional

I believe in traditional treatment, I know chemo therapy is not appealing and absolutely not easy, but there’s a better chance to beat this disease with it, and I’m not against the natural way, just in my opinion I don’t think there isn’t good evidence that it is effective, I hope they do more research about it, and if it works that will be awesome! 

• mtmom
    mtmom Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Naturopathy

I just remember wanting to attack this thing when I was diagnosed! I did chemo, surgery, then radiation. But, what was helpful was having a naturopathic doctor on staff to help with the side effects of all the treatment. What I have used from the natural side of things have worked great. For example, the chemo threw me into menopause and the hot flashes were horrible! The med that my onc started me on was awful. So, the naturopath gave me supplements that have done the trick. I have the flashes at a tolerable place now. I'm very thankful for the meds we have...I'm just sad we need them.

Blessings,

~Mtmom

• GlowMore
    Options
    Rague said:

Thank you for asking about the meaning behind 'Winyan - The Power Within'.  There is a very special meaning to me.  I have explained it in the past but do not mind at all as there are so many who have no idea about it.

'Winyan -The Power Within' is from the 'slogan' (for lack of a better word) of my Women's Veterans Group.  Very basically, it means that as women we have so much power within ourselves to do/handle whatever is needed if we but use that strength. Winyan is Lakota (Sioux) for 'woman'.  I live in the Black Hills area of SD so we have a lot of Lakota history here.  So yes, it does have a very basic meaning - but it also has meanings (especially to me) that encompass so many things and fits any 'hard time'.  I  can never write it without thinking of a very dear 'Sister' who also wore dogtags.  She had been an RN in Nam (thus exposed to Agent Orange) and fought some really bizarrre BCs for years.  She had lost her battle with BC before I started mine, I saw her strength and draw from it still.  Hope that explains.

Susan

Meaning of Winyan....Thanks

Thank you so much for telling me about the meaning of Winyan - The Power Within..............  This is what we all must find within us in order to overcome adversity of any kind.  In 5 days I will have completed 78 years on this earth and naturally in 2002 I wasn't even sure I would ever make it to 70.   I call the power within God or Jesus or even the Holy Spirit.........and that is the place I have called out to in the darkest hours.   My sister in law was diagnosed with BC back in the mid 80s and she lost her battle in only a few years.  We have all known many others who have crossed that Rainbow Bridge and we miss them terribly.  Before I forget....thank you for your service to America.  My Father and both of my husbands served, Dad in the Army during WWII and my husbands both in the Navy (one Korea, the other at the tail end of WWII).   I once had a good friend who lived in Ronan....can't remember if that is ND or SD.   She was married to a Lakota man...but they divorced.   Anyway...thanks again.  :)

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    My cousin tried to deal with

My cousin tried to deal with her breast cancer the natural way.  When she finally decided maybe she needed to do something else, it was too late for her.  It went to her brain.  She was only in her early forties when she died about five or so years ago, and she left behind four children, ages 12-20.

I have made an effort to be in touch with the daughters-- and they know of my own dealings with the disease -- because I want them to know that should they have anything like bc happen to them, it does not have to end the way it did for their mother.  I don't say anything at all about Bonnie's choices, but I have shared mine.

• Rague
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Meaning of Winyan....Thanks

Thank you so much for telling me about the meaning of Winyan - The Power Within..............  This is what we all must find within us in order to overcome adversity of any kind.  In 5 days I will have completed 78 years on this earth and naturally in 2002 I wasn't even sure I would ever make it to 70.   I call the power within God or Jesus or even the Holy Spirit.........and that is the place I have called out to in the darkest hours.   My sister in law was diagnosed with BC back in the mid 80s and she lost her battle in only a few years.  We have all known many others who have crossed that Rainbow Bridge and we miss them terribly.  Before I forget....thank you for your service to America.  My Father and both of my husbands served, Dad in the Army during WWII and my husbands both in the Navy (one Korea, the other at the tail end of WWII).   I once had a good friend who lived in Ronan....can't remember if that is ND or SD.   She was married to a Lakota man...but they divorced.   Anyway...thanks again.  :)

Happy Early Birthday

Happy Early Birthday!  My 68th birthday will be a week later (on the 25th which will be the 138th anniversary of The Battle of The Greasy Grass - AKA Custer's Last Stand).  I have always figured/intended to live into my mid-late 90's (still do) as 1 GMother and 3 GGMothers did and were very active and healthy until the end.

Daddy had been pre-Pearl Army (Infantary) and went in on Normandy.  He went to the Air Force when it was formed and was stationed in France during Korean so that's where we were during that time.  He retired in the mid '60's.  My FIL was USAF in Korean and Nam and retired in the early 70's,  MIL had been USAF during Korean.  SIL is retired Army, 1 BIL was USAF  and other BIL had over 20 yrs Navy when he died still on A/D (undetected health issue).  Hubby (of  38 yrs) is retired Navy and is Nam Era and Desert Storm.

I use the words of Winyan -The Power Within because it can mean (or not mean) so many things to each person individually based on our own Faith, Beliefs as we believe them.   In my case, I do gain a lot from the words but they do not replace my Faith in the Trinity.  I do not wait until the 'darkest times' on my journey to seek 'help' from my Heavenly Father rather ask to be with me in all things - GOOD and Bad.  My Faith is strong, however, as 'right' as it is for me, it isn't for all (or even the exact same for anyone else).