Katiekee11

ketziah35
ketziah35 Member Posts: 1,145

The person who created this post has passed. i recommend that you not respond to posts older than a couple of weeks old, but create a new one if you should have any questions. A lot of times the old posts have responses from people who have passed on and it is very painful for those who knew them to "see" them again. 

Ktz

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Maybe maybe not

I personally love seeing the names of our old friends pop up now and again. Of course I'm saddened that they have passed, but its a great way of remembereing them, to hear their words, often words of advice and comfort. 

Often times someone new comes to the forum, they don't think to look at the date (been there, done that), they are just looking for advice. I think its more important to welcome them and suggest they open their own thread (as you did), and not worry them about 'upsetting' us old timers. 

I know its a touchy subject, and I don't mean any distrespect to those who are upset when they see posts from our old friends who have passed. But I know we have lost some new members because our posts have come across a bit harsh. 

• teamzach
    teamzach Member Posts: 35
    Trubrit said:

Maybe maybe not

I personally love seeing the names of our old friends pop up now and again. Of course I'm saddened that they have passed, but its a great way of remembereing them, to hear their words, often words of advice and comfort. 

Often times someone new comes to the forum, they don't think to look at the date (been there, done that), they are just looking for advice. I think its more important to welcome them and suggest they open their own thread (as you did), and not worry them about 'upsetting' us old timers. 

I know its a touchy subject, and I don't mean any distrespect to those who are upset when they see posts from our old friends who have passed. But I know we have lost some new members because our posts have come across a bit harsh. 

hmm

I agree with you, Trubrit. As someone who has recently lost a husband, I enjoy seeing his old posts and even looking at his journals. I know not everyone feels that way however.

Janelle

• ketziah35
    teamzach said:

hmm

I agree with you, Trubrit. As someone who has recently lost a husband, I enjoy seeing his old posts and even looking at his journals. I know not everyone feels that way however.

Janelle

That is not what most people

That is not what most people have expressed. You can do a search for old posts under someone's name , but most people have expressed that it is too painful to see them. 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    ketziah35 said:

That is not what most people

That is not what most people have expressed. You can do a search for old posts under someone's name , but most people have expressed that it is too painful to see them. 

I certainly understand...

how that can be, but we have to weigh up our own discomfort with the fact that this forum is for everyone, and if a new person inadvertently or without knowing, posts to an old post, then we should just welcome them and suggest they open their own thread.  Making them feel as though they've upset the 'regulars' will drive most people away. 

I speak from experince because after my first post someone jumped on me and told me I had  done something wrong (I hadn't of course). I thought, 'Well, if this is what this forums all about, I'll go somewhere else.' Then I thought, 'No, its probably just one person having a bad day.' I've got a pretty thick skin, but others, especially at such a traumatic time of their lives, may just walk away. 

• LindaK.
    LindaK. Member Posts: 506 Member
    Information

How would a new person know if someone who posted on here has passed?  Is there something the moderator can do to add a new comment onto a post started by someone who passed?  What if the people just stop checking or posting here, how would you know their status? 

Linda

• ketziah35
    LindaK. said:

Information

How would a new person know if someone who posted on here has passed?  Is there something the moderator can do to add a new comment onto a post started by someone who passed?  What if the people just stop checking or posting here, how would you know their status? 

Linda

Did you read the post? It was

Did you read the post? It was several years old.

• here4lfe
    here4lfe Member Posts: 306 Member
    LindaK. said:

Information

Linda

Look at the 'Created' Date

I for one do not like to read an old thread longer than 12 months as I know many on here who have passed on, including my wife. So I always look at the created date.

Mark

• devotion10
    devotion10 Member Posts: 623 Member
    In the past, I have been one of those folks that responded

negatively to seeing old posts brought forward when people new posted to an old message ... 

my personal ideas have changed though.  Although it isn't easy for me sometimes reading the hopeful words of someone who is no longer with us, it doesn't make their advice or their journey any less valuable to me because they have passed.

Guess my ideas have evolved after the death of my own loved one ... I listen to my deceased husband's voicemails just to hear his laugh, his voice, and comforting words. I have relatives who think this is odd and not emotionally healthy. I tell them that when someone dies, their physical presence has been eliminated but the relationship still exists. I can't honor his life if I act as if he never existed.  

Not trying to bring this too much to my own situation ... but, just wanted to share and maybe it applies somewhat here as well to our attititudes about seeing our friends who have passed. As painful and bittersweet as that jolt can be to suddenly see them appear on the site again, maybe we honor them best by welcoming them back into our hearts every now. 

It is always a puzzle to me how someone even finds a very old post to respond to.  Perhaps a google search for a particular topic links them to it and then they pick up the conversation from there...

I don't think Kez's intention is ever to be unkind to a newcomer. 

I do like Trubit's way of responding ... welcome the individual to the board and encourage the starting of a new post so folks can respond to their specific concerns. I can see how someone who is new might feel that an initial scolding would feel unwelcoming; most people when they first come to this site are pretty fragile.

Peace. ~ Cynthia

• LindaK.
    LindaK. Member Posts: 506 Member
    ketziah35 said:

Did you read the post? It was

Did you read the post? It was several years old.

No

Where or what post were you referring to?  I guess I'm not too savvy on this site, but I know when you do a google search on a topic, it can take you directly to a thread on the CSN discussion board, regardless of the date.  That may be why people are adding new comments to old posts, very innocently.

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member

In the past, I have been one of those folks that responded

negatively to seeing old posts brought forward when people new posted to an old message ... 

my personal ideas have changed though.  Although it isn't easy for me sometimes reading the hopeful words of someone who is no longer with us, it doesn't make their advice or their journey any less valuable to me because they have passed.

Guess my ideas have evolved after the death of my own loved one ... I listen to my deceased husband's voicemails just to hear his laugh, his voice, and comforting words. I have relatives who think this is odd and not emotionally healthy. I tell them that when someone dies, their physical presence has been eliminated but the relationship still exists. I can't honor his life if I act as if he never existed.  

Not trying to bring this too much to my own situation ... but, just wanted to share and maybe it applies somewhat here as well to our attititudes about seeing our friends who have passed. As painful and bittersweet as that jolt can be to suddenly see them appear on the site again, maybe we honor them best by welcoming them back into our hearts every now. 

It is always a puzzle to me how someone even finds a very old post to respond to.  Perhaps a google search for a particular topic links them to it and then they pick up the conversation from there...

I don't think Kez's intention is ever to be unkind to a newcomer. 

I do like Trubit's way of responding ... welcome the individual to the board and encourage the starting of a new post so folks can respond to their specific concerns. I can see how someone who is new might feel that an initial scolding would feel unwelcoming; most people when they first come to this site are pretty fragile.

Peace. ~ Cynthia

Personally I agree with Cynthia...

simply because I would like to think, when my time comes, that my words will still be here, maybe helping other people (ok, that's kind of egotistical, I don't think I've said anything very important, but some of you have!).  

And when we think of the emotional and mental state a person is in, when they first come to this forum looking for info and/or support, I really think we have to err on the side of forgiveness.  I know I didn't think to look at the dates on posts when I first came here, and I can imagine that might be the same for many folks, esp those who are unfamiliar with how a board of this nature works.

I think this issue has come up several times, and CSN has chosen not to lock older threads, or to delete accounts when people pass away.  So it seems that the board's structure will stay as it is, and I think we need to be very welcoming to new people, while encouraging the creation of a new thread.  Trubrit's suggestion pretty much covers that.

I don't think seeing a thread come up with those who have died is really any different than me having pictures of my sister up in my living room.  The dead are still with us in so many ways, this is just one more way to acknowledge that they lived and had an impact on us.

• jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    I agree with Sue, Janelle,
    I agree with Sue, Janelle, Cynthia, Ann etc. I havent been here as long and lost as many friends as some of you, but i will never forget Ren, Tedd, Zach, etc. Just because i dont see their posts doesnt mean they are forgotten. I also got to "know" so many that passed before i joined here. Its crazy that I mourned their passing even though i never had contact with them. I like seeing their posts and hearing their advice. I guess this is another of the issues that will have differing opinions.
  • ketziah35
    jen2012 said:

I agree with Sue, Janelle,
    I agree with Sue, Janelle, Cynthia, Ann etc. I havent been here as long and lost as many friends as some of you, but i will never forget Ren, Tedd, Zach, etc. Just because i dont see their posts doesnt mean they are forgotten. I also got to "know" so many that passed before i joined here. Its crazy that I mourned their passing even though i never had contact with them. I like seeing their posts and hearing their advice. I guess this is another of the issues that will have differing opinions.

Merely passing on the

Merely passing on the information which haa been expressed through my tenure of almost 4 years on this site. It is an unspoken code of etiquette. You don't bring back old posts. Start a new one. You will probably get the same information. 

• devotion10
    devotion10 Member Posts: 623 Member
    ketziah35 said:

Merely passing on the

Merely passing on the information which haa been expressed through my tenure of almost 4 years on this site. It is an unspoken code of etiquette. You don't bring back old posts. Start a new one. You will probably get the same information. 

Kez … PIE

If anything ever happens to you, I am going to fondly reread over and over again all your posts about pie. 

Wink  Cynthia

• ketziah35

Kez … PIE

If anything ever happens to you, I am going to fondly reread over and over again all your posts about pie. 

Wink  Cynthia

Difference is not a post

Difference is not a post about suffering or a reminder of death of a friend. By the way I need to recruit someone for a rhubarb pie donation. I can't find rhubarb down south.

Dreaming of spring!