Votrient Side Effects

18910111214»

Comments

• Eskimo lily
    Eskimo lily Member Posts: 43
    angec said:

Encoraging news!

Just thought I would come here to update this link and keep the information rolling!  Mom had her scans Tuesday, and she is Stable!  So glad to hear this. To recap she is 81, has grade 4/stage 4.  She had mets in quite a few places.  She started on 400 mgs of Votrient in December of last year. Took it for about two months but the side affects proved to be too much for her. She went off for about 5 weeks, her scans showed significant shrinkage. The doctor put her on 200 mgs. and her last set of scans showed all but one met gone in her lunch. Everything else resolved. Today she is still on 200 mgs. and the same met is stable.  I will take it! So 200 mgs. seems to be holding.  

Ange,   I'm so so happy for

Ange,

I'm so so happy for you and your mom. You two inspire and encourage me every single day!

Sigh...I really should try to push to see if our oncologist will let us restart Votrient at 200mg. Mom couldn't handle 600 or 400 due to painful handfoot syndrome and blood pressure issues!

Also, I find your typo hilarious...if only her met really did go in her lunch! Then we could just easily kick it to the curb!

• angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member
    Suekub said:

Great news

I started Votrient a little under 3 months ago, liver wasn't able to tolerate full dose so have continued on 400mg with few side effects to date. Had CT on Wednesday and see onc for results on Monday. Hoping for the same good results. 

Sue

Thank you Sue!  I am eager to

Thank you Sue!  I am eager to hear good news also! Please let us know on Wednesday what comes of it! I am very hopeful all will be ok!  They are starting people on too high a dose with 800 mgs of Votrient. Better to start lower and have a longer time on the drug. I was recently told that if it is going to work it will work at 200 or 800.  So why chance the higher amount and ruin the liver?  Please keep us posted!

Virginia. I just sent you a message on another post then saw this! That is too funny my typos!  My fingers are so weak from Fibromyalgia that i press the keys in and don't realize it doesn't take.  Then with the ipad the words correct and change by themselves.  You know how that one goes! LOL  but yes, i wish we can kick cancer to the curb!  I will have a field day with it!  I hope your mom does ok.  Praying for you all!

• bevans1942
    bevans1942 Member Posts: 14
    votrient

I have angiosarcoma and anyone who cannot aford this medicine, including 

someone on medicare, Glasco,Smith, Kline, has a patient Assistance progran. 

It is easy to apply for. I have been on votrient for three years, with a little 

side effects. Some are, my hair,eyelashes and eyebrows turn white. I have been NED

since I started this drug. I have had some othe problem due to the fact that Votrient

lowers the immune system, so be extra careful about washing your hands and disinfecting 

your house. 

• bevans1942
    angec said:

Has anyone had any heart
    Has anyone had any heart issues on Votrient to report. Imodium for loose stools works. Gatorade and a multi complex vitamin b, avemar to help the drugs work better and help immune system. Going to have all things ready for mom. Need to purchase Avemar o line, bet she won't use it though, very fussy eater. Lol TW how is your pressure?

Heart problems

Every time I visit the Doctor, on my 3 moths checkup, 

I get blood work to check for liver problems, and EKG to

check the heart, and a CT scan of the upper and lower body.

I have been on Votrient for 3 years now and hve been NED

with just some minor side effects. My onc said to take imodine

before the diahrrea starts. Sometimes that gets pretty bad.

I have to plan my traveling acording to the bathrooms available.

I have tried depends but they do not really work well. Any suggestion 

will be appreaciated. 

• bevans1942

Chronotherapeutics
    I almost started a new thread on this topic but forebore doing so since what prompted it is specifically about Votrient. I came across this posting (on another forum) from almost two years ago:

"My husband was taking Votrient before going to bed (at least 2 hours after eating) the tumors all shrunk. His side effects were diarreha and headache. His oncologist suggested he switch to the first thing in the morning to see if that would be better. His side effects all went away, but the drug stopped working and the tumors started to grow back. He switched back to the evening and the tumors are shrinking again."

I've long believed that the importance of chronotherapeutics isn't accorded the attention it merits and this posting is the sort of item that reinforces my feeling.

Has anyone here got any useful thoughts on the topic? Votrient should be taken in a "fasting" state - not within an hour before, or two hours after a meal. However, apart from the general point that, to keep it in an even state in the body, it should be taken at about the same time every day, there doesn't seem to be any 'official' guidance on the time of day that might be best for most people (we all vary so generalisations may be difficult to arrive at)?

Ange, quickest way to update on my experience is to look at my blog - since then the main development is that I seem to be a bit sleepier and my BP is still at too high a level, despite doubling my hypertensive drug dose to max. I hope it's just a matter of time before the Votrient-induced hypertension is got under control.

I am so glad you have a modus operandi with Dr. Motzer and your local onc. Do you have a recommendation for a first-line drug for your Mom now? Please say hi to both her and your pupil - I hope both he and you are doing OK - I still miss that lovely pic of the two of you!

votrient

I take my Votrient when I get up in the middle of the night

with water and go back to sleep. When I do that I do not notice the nausea so much. 

I have had good scans for three years. 

• bevans1942
    moe1131 said:

votrient

Thanks to all for all the great information  on the side effects regarding votrient.

I'm to start the drug today,I have Leiomyosarcoma cancer of the smooth muscle,but

the drug has had good results with other sarcomas, not just renal. I'm encouraged!

I was glad to hear that working out helps.

Votrient

I have been NED for three years now on Votrient. I have angiosarcoma.

Good Luck, Join the Sarcoma Alliance

• angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member

votrient

I have angiosarcoma and anyone who cannot aford this medicine, including 

someone on medicare, Glasco,Smith, Kline, has a patient Assistance progran. 

It is easy to apply for. I have been on votrient for three years, with a little 

side effects. Some are, my hair,eyelashes and eyebrows turn white. I have been NED

since I started this drug. I have had some othe problem due to the fact that Votrient

lowers the immune system, so be extra careful about washing your hands and disinfecting 

your house. 

That is very encouragin,

That is very encouragin, Bevans!  So glad to hear the good news.  And thanks for the warning!  May your NED go on forever!

• Pepper1
    Pepper1 Member Posts: 1
    Votrient Side Effects

I'm due to start Votrient (800 mg) at the end of the week.  I work in an elementary school, K - 5th gr., with close student contact.  Does Votrient lower the immune system?  I didn't think to ask my Onc. this one.  I'm sure more questions will continue to pop into my head in the middle of the night!  That seems to be when I get my best thinking done...

Thanks

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    Pepper1 said:

Votrient Side Effects

I'm due to start Votrient (800 mg) at the end of the week.  I work in an elementary school, K - 5th gr., with close student contact.  Does Votrient lower the immune system?  I didn't think to ask my Onc. this one.  I'm sure more questions will continue to pop into my head in the middle of the night!  That seems to be when I get my best thinking done...

Thanks

Votrient!

Hi Pepper, Votrient does lower the immune system, I was advised to always be cautious being around people with coughs, colds etc. being careful when gardening and cleaning, watching for cuts. I always wash my hands and wear rubber gloves when cleaning. I dont take it to extreme but I just stay mindful.

I started treatment on 800mg but it was too much right off the bat. I developed liver enzyme problems, along with major side effects. The dose was reduced to 200mg however after my scan it showed to be having little effect on the tumours. Once settled on the 400mg dose the tumours stabilised, I am now on 600mg in the hope for a reduction. It has been slow progress as I started on these meds in March but my liver has not always been compliant.

Good luck with your treatment:)

Djinnie 

• montana4ever
    montana4ever Member Posts: 1
    mrbill38 said:

Votrient.
    I have been on votrient for over one year (since Jan. 2011). This was after I had been on Nexavar for over one year. My side effects on votrient at first was nausea, exhaustion, diarea, and loss of apetite. After three months, the dosage was reduced by 50% and the test results were fantastic. My tomors had reduced by about 50% and at least one had disappeared.
    The last twelve months has been tolorable and have seemed to ease in side effects to the point that this year I've felt like doing some of the odd jobs around the house that I had let go. I walk every morning with my two four legged buddies and enjoy watching my garden grow. I do a one-hour program at a local assisted living home three times each month. So I feel almost normal most days. Other days I feel lousy, like yesterday. My Drs. are pleased with the results of using votrient to treat my cancer. I was first diagnosed in 1997. My wife, a wonderful caregiver, just walked with me at our latest cancer survivor relay a week ago. I'm 74 and plan to be around a long time. Bill Stephens.

votrient

Hi Bill,

I hope you receive this message, as it has been along time since you posted it. My husband (54 yo)has a rare form of Kidney Cancer and up until 1 yr ago there was no treatment for it. It does not respond to radiation or chemo. But they tried him on Sutent for this past year but it did not shrink his lympnodes.  They are now trying him on Votrient. He has only been on it for 1 wk and so far no SE except for some fatigue.  I was wondering what kind of cancer tumors you had/have that this medication was so successful treating.

Thank you in advance,

Sheelah

Well, I guess I should have read the next couple of posts. Now I know the answer, thanks anyway.

• megarounder
    megarounder Member Posts: 3
    Peptide treatment

Hi

Have you heard or learn about treating tumor cancer disease types once you get your molecular therapy which uses targeted peptides and proteins to revive cellular function.Its getting very well liked and the recovery rate is very high.Certainly one of my relative has personally used it and giving rapid results.

If you haven't encounter botox cosmetic injections then perform Google search for your term "Peptide treatment", or perhaps the company named "Regenerative Cellular Therapy.Its a very innovative contribution for recent cancer treatment.I am hoping it may help.

• NanoSecond
    NanoSecond Member Posts: 653

Peptide treatment

Hi

Have you heard or learn about treating tumor cancer disease types once you get your molecular therapy which uses targeted peptides and proteins to revive cellular function.Its getting very well liked and the recovery rate is very high.Certainly one of my relative has personally used it and giving rapid results.

If you haven't encounter botox cosmetic injections then perform Google search for your term "Peptide treatment", or perhaps the company named "Regenerative Cellular Therapy.Its a very innovative contribution for recent cancer treatment.I am hoping it may help.

Buyer Beware

I wrote this same response in another thread (Cyberknife) that you posted in:

I don't see how it could help at all.  One of the most fundamental discoveries about tumor cells - dating back to the 1920's in research conducted by Otto Warburg - is that they cannot be returned to normal cellular respiration.  The only therapy that has achieved that - for a very specific rare form of cancer - is a drug manufacturered by Agios Pharmaceuticals.  However, in their case they are targeting specific gene mutations (IDH1 and IDH2) that are involved in cell metabolism.

Regardless, this all has little to do with "peptides" or "proteins" - which are just generic classifications for a wide range of molecules.

Buyer Beware.

• PersianCat
    PersianCat Member Posts: 1
    Votrient Side Affects

I want to share how I control my diarrhea side affect caused by Votrient.  Two hours before taking a dose, I take anti-diarrhea pills.  I take them daily.  Twice a day.  It helps a lot.