Votrient Side Effects

189111314

Comments

  • alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member
    kelbert said:

    Blood pressure

    Hello Everyone,

    I was just wondering if anyone on this thread has had a good response on Votrient without any known problems with high blood pressure?

    What would the symptoms of high blood pressure be? My Dad has been feeling really terrible over the last few days, describing feeling really really dizzy, which can come on all of a sudden, he says it feels like the worst hangover ever except without the enjoyment of having a drink! Thankyou.

    Kelly x

    blood pressure

    Kelly,

    As I stated in my response to Ron, John (one putt) is on a Nivolumab/Votrient trial. He has been very fortunate with his response, but we don't know if Nivolumab is the reason; if Votrient is the reason; or if the combo is the reason.

    But note he has not experienced high blood pressure, and--while I realize elevated blood pressure--is often indicative of Vortrient's success, I don't think it is always the case.But do as Tex says and invest in the bp cuff. I DO NOT have cancer, but I do have high blood pressure. I was diagnosed many years ago when I started experiencing headaches and dizziness. So while high blood pressure is the silent killer, headaches and dizziness often accompany it.

    Good luck to you and your dad. Chins up!

  • NanoSecond
    NanoSecond Member Posts: 653
    kelbert said:

    Blood pressure

    Hello Everyone,

    I was just wondering if anyone on this thread has had a good response on Votrient without any known problems with high blood pressure?

    What would the symptoms of high blood pressure be? My Dad has been feeling really terrible over the last few days, describing feeling really really dizzy, which can come on all of a sudden, he says it feels like the worst hangover ever except without the enjoyment of having a drink! Thankyou.

    Kelly x

    Votrient and Blood Pressure

    Kelly,

    I do not take Votrient and so have not paid very close attention to all its side effects.  And while I generally agree with Tex - his pointed statement about high blood pressure got me motivated to look more deeply into the issue.

    This is what I found:

    "Hypertension (systolic blood pressure ≥150 or diastolic blood pressure ≥100 mm Hg) and ​hypertensive crisis were observed in patients treated with Votrient. Blood pressure should be well-controlled prior to initiating Votrient. Hypertension occurs early in the course of treatment (40% of cases occurred by Day 9 and 90% of cases occurred in the first 18 weeks). ​Blood pressure should be monitored early after starting treatment (no longer than one week) and frequently thereafter to ensure blood pressure control. Approximately 40% of patients who received Votrient experienced hypertension. ​Grade 3 hypertension was reported in 4% to 7% of patients receiving Votrient [see Adverse Reactions (6.1)]."

    The above and lots more important information can be found here:

    http://www.drugs.com/pro/votrient.html

    Hope you found that helpful.  And, in particular, sufficient reason to wait until jumping to any conclusions about whether or not Votrient is working.

  • GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303

    Votrient and Blood Pressure

    Kelly,

    I do not take Votrient and so have not paid very close attention to all its side effects.  And while I generally agree with Tex - his pointed statement about high blood pressure got me motivated to look more deeply into the issue.

    This is what I found:

    "Hypertension (systolic blood pressure ≥150 or diastolic blood pressure ≥100 mm Hg) and ​hypertensive crisis were observed in patients treated with Votrient. Blood pressure should be well-controlled prior to initiating Votrient. Hypertension occurs early in the course of treatment (40% of cases occurred by Day 9 and 90% of cases occurred in the first 18 weeks). ​Blood pressure should be monitored early after starting treatment (no longer than one week) and frequently thereafter to ensure blood pressure control. Approximately 40% of patients who received Votrient experienced hypertension. ​Grade 3 hypertension was reported in 4% to 7% of patients receiving Votrient [see Adverse Reactions (6.1)]."

    The above and lots more important information can be found here:

    http://www.drugs.com/pro/votrient.html

    Hope you found that helpful.  And, in particular, sufficient reason to wait until jumping to any conclusions about whether or not Votrient is working.

    An aside note..

    Hi All..!  As an aside note.. the last few days I have been real busy doing something for ME... that is racing my little motorpickle..  What is interesting is that most of the side effects kind of held off, until I got home... then bang..  My take is that I was running on adrenaline.. and thus was able to function at a pretty high level for the two plus days..!   When I got home, almost instantly I had sweats.. and diarrhea...  Took a warm shower and drank a bunch of water, then slept..  My BP was not overly high...   Today mostly had the diarrhea.. took an Imodium and am a lot better...

    As an extra aside, talked to a pal at the track, he has E.C.  Esophogial..? (can't spell that word..)..  So it does not take much to find out lots of people I know have the Crud in some version or another... sigh..

    Just hope it works for everyone on it..!

    Cheers.!!

    Ron

  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    GSRon said:

    An aside note..

    Hi All..!  As an aside note.. the last few days I have been real busy doing something for ME... that is racing my little motorpickle..  What is interesting is that most of the side effects kind of held off, until I got home... then bang..  My take is that I was running on adrenaline.. and thus was able to function at a pretty high level for the two plus days..!   When I got home, almost instantly I had sweats.. and diarrhea...  Took a warm shower and drank a bunch of water, then slept..  My BP was not overly high...   Today mostly had the diarrhea.. took an Imodium and am a lot better...

    As an extra aside, talked to a pal at the track, he has E.C.  Esophogial..? (can't spell that word..)..  So it does not take much to find out lots of people I know have the Crud in some version or another... sigh..

    Just hope it works for everyone on it..!

    Cheers.!!

    Ron

    Keep on riding

    Keep on riding Ron. People speak of my attitude but I don't have anything over you. Maybe it is the motorcycles? I do know that I won't be racing. I will be out camping with my bike for most of June. Take care of yourself. Fox.

  • GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303
    foxhd said:

    Keep on riding

    Keep on riding Ron. People speak of my attitude but I don't have anything over you. Maybe it is the motorcycles? I do know that I won't be racing. I will be out camping with my bike for most of June. Take care of yourself. Fox.

    You too..!

    Yes, Fox.. I do think having some important hobby in our lives helps us to move forward..  Does not matter what the hobby is.. it helps..  But then, I do also think us bike guys (and gals) have a special bond with the open air and we see the countryside a bit differently than others..  You take care as well... keep riding..  Both of my street bikes are down for repairs... I need to get to the garage and fix them..  The olde bikes often need repairs.. they NEED me..!

    To the rest of you.. keep doing what you love..   The last few days there were times that I almost forgot about the RCC...  I felt "normal" for a while..  I hope this works for all of you as well...

    Be Well...

    Ron

  • BLKJAK
    BLKJAK Member Posts: 108
    One week on Votrient

    I've been on Votrient for a week now. Week 2 begins tonight for me. I have had my blood pressure go up a bit, but that's about it for side effects. I have a bit of loose stool, but that might be attributed to the Buffalo Wing Pizza I had for dinner. TMI perhaps? If it continues, it will be the second side effect from Votrient. So far, so good. I hope the other side effects never present themselves.

    I have been using the MAARS program and hopefully that is helping to get this damn cancer out of my body. I haven't been allowing cancer to get the best of me. I show it no respect and it needs to know it's not welcome here. I really want to prove the first oncologist wrong and live a nice long life.

  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    BLKJAK said:

    One week on Votrient

    I've been on Votrient for a week now. Week 2 begins tonight for me. I have had my blood pressure go up a bit, but that's about it for side effects. I have a bit of loose stool, but that might be attributed to the Buffalo Wing Pizza I had for dinner. TMI perhaps? If it continues, it will be the second side effect from Votrient. So far, so good. I hope the other side effects never present themselves.

    I have been using the MAARS program and hopefully that is helping to get this damn cancer out of my body. I haven't been allowing cancer to get the best of me. I show it no respect and it needs to know it's not welcome here. I really want to prove the first oncologist wrong and live a nice long life.

    Beat it

    Please go right on, full steam ahead, and do just what you're planning.

  • moe1131
    moe1131 Member Posts: 8
    BLKJAK said:

    One week on Votrient

    I've been on Votrient for a week now. Week 2 begins tonight for me. I have had my blood pressure go up a bit, but that's about it for side effects. I have a bit of loose stool, but that might be attributed to the Buffalo Wing Pizza I had for dinner. TMI perhaps? If it continues, it will be the second side effect from Votrient. So far, so good. I hope the other side effects never present themselves.

    I have been using the MAARS program and hopefully that is helping to get this damn cancer out of my body. I haven't been allowing cancer to get the best of me. I show it no respect and it needs to know it's not welcome here. I really want to prove the first oncologist wrong and live a nice long life.

    Votrient

     BLKJAK,  glad to hear you don't have too many side effects from the Votrient. I start Votrient in a few weeks I just had surgery to remove a tumor so I have to wait until I'am healed. I was wondering what dosage you are on I'am suppost to start at 800mg 4tablets which I plan to take at night. I have been on the site and reading about the side effects of the Votrient which has been very helpful so I thank all, and hope I will not have too many.I have good blood pressure so if it goes up a little i'am not to worried. I don,t have renal cancer I have Leiomyosarcoma cancer of the smooth muscle some people with my type of cancer have had good results on the  Votrient. I'm hopeful and thankful there is something else to try besides chemo. thanks 

  • saintmont
    saintmont Member Posts: 63
    moe1131 said:

    Votrient

     BLKJAK,  glad to hear you don't have too many side effects from the Votrient. I start Votrient in a few weeks I just had surgery to remove a tumor so I have to wait until I'am healed. I was wondering what dosage you are on I'am suppost to start at 800mg 4tablets which I plan to take at night. I have been on the site and reading about the side effects of the Votrient which has been very helpful so I thank all, and hope I will not have too many.I have good blood pressure so if it goes up a little i'am not to worried. I don,t have renal cancer I have Leiomyosarcoma cancer of the smooth muscle some people with my type of cancer have had good results on the  Votrient. I'm hopeful and thankful there is something else to try besides chemo. thanks 

    Votrient side effect

    Hi all, Had my CT scan last Tuesday, saw my oncologist thursday the scan were good all nodules are shrinking, I haven't got measurements my oncologist show us the scan so we could see the difference. As for side effect still trying to get my BP under control, a little bit of diarrhea sometimes and slightly sore feet. I take 800mg mid morning and still work full time.

  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    saintmont said:

    Votrient side effect

    Hi all, Had my CT scan last Tuesday, saw my oncologist thursday the scan were good all nodules are shrinking, I haven't got measurements my oncologist show us the scan so we could see the difference. As for side effect still trying to get my BP under control, a little bit of diarrhea sometimes and slightly sore feet. I take 800mg mid morning and still work full time.

    Latest results

    Congratulations and keep up the good work!

  • BLKJAK
    BLKJAK Member Posts: 108
    moe1131 said:

    Votrient

     BLKJAK,  glad to hear you don't have too many side effects from the Votrient. I start Votrient in a few weeks I just had surgery to remove a tumor so I have to wait until I'am healed. I was wondering what dosage you are on I'am suppost to start at 800mg 4tablets which I plan to take at night. I have been on the site and reading about the side effects of the Votrient which has been very helpful so I thank all, and hope I will not have too many.I have good blood pressure so if it goes up a little i'am not to worried. I don,t have renal cancer I have Leiomyosarcoma cancer of the smooth muscle some people with my type of cancer have had good results on the  Votrient. I'm hopeful and thankful there is something else to try besides chemo. thanks 

    Hi Moe

    I am taking 4 tablets (800mg) every night at bed time. I have started to allow myself a little TV time to settle in before starting the MAARS audio program. I don't have any nausea that I know of and have yet to have a side effect other than the rise in blood pressure that I can absolutely say is because of Votrient. Today I have some soreness in my lips. I don't know what that's about but am applying Carmex to treat it.

    Good luck to you! Stay positive!

  • BLKJAK
    BLKJAK Member Posts: 108
    Votrient has made me sexier!

    I know it's hard to believe, but I think Votrient has made me better looking. :) Seriously though, no real side effects other than elevated blood pressure from being on Votrient for 8 days now. I had what I thought was diarhea from Votrient, but it has cleared up. Must have been the Buffalo Chicken pizza I ate. I am getting more sleep at night since being on Votrient and using the MAARS program. I spend less time watching TV in bed and actually sleep now. 

    I am staying positive and not giving cancer any respect. It's not welcome in my body and I want it out!

  • moe1131
    moe1131 Member Posts: 8
    BLKJAK said:

    Hi Moe

    I am taking 4 tablets (800mg) every night at bed time. I have started to allow myself a little TV time to settle in before starting the MAARS audio program. I don't have any nausea that I know of and have yet to have a side effect other than the rise in blood pressure that I can absolutely say is because of Votrient. Today I have some soreness in my lips. I don't know what that's about but am applying Carmex to treat it.

    Good luck to you! Stay positive!

    BLKJAK

    Hi BLKJAK, thanks for getting back to me good to hear your still at 800mg I will look into the MAARS not that familiar with that program. It helps to hear how other cancer patients are doing on this site. I will let you know how I'm doing once I start the Votrient I think in a week I'am ready and very positive this drug will help. Do you still work ?

     

  • saintmont
    saintmont Member Posts: 63
    BLKJAK said:

    Votrient has made me sexier!

    I know it's hard to believe, but I think Votrient has made me better looking. :) Seriously though, no real side effects other than elevated blood pressure from being on Votrient for 8 days now. I had what I thought was diarhea from Votrient, but it has cleared up. Must have been the Buffalo Chicken pizza I ate. I am getting more sleep at night since being on Votrient and using the MAARS program. I spend less time watching TV in bed and actually sleep now. 

    I am staying positive and not giving cancer any respect. It's not welcome in my body and I want it out!

    Votrient side effect

    Hi BLKJAK, That is the right attitude. I know we all think about it but we don't let it run our lives. We can all have bad days, but we can also bounce back and tell this cancer I'm running my life and not it. By the way I have got the white hair.

  • BLKJAK
    BLKJAK Member Posts: 108
    moe1131 said:

    BLKJAK

    Hi BLKJAK, thanks for getting back to me good to hear your still at 800mg I will look into the MAARS not that familiar with that program. It helps to hear how other cancer patients are doing on this site. I will let you know how I'm doing once I start the Votrient I think in a week I'am ready and very positive this drug will help. Do you still work ?

     

    Still working

    Yep, I am still working. I am a network engineer so my work doesn't involve much lifting or moving. It's definiitely more mental than physical and I'm grateful for that. The owner of the company is very compassionate about my situation. He told me that if I am tired I should go home and take a nap. I am pretty lucky overall.

  • BLKJAK
    BLKJAK Member Posts: 108
    saintmont said:

    Votrient side effect

    Hi BLKJAK, That is the right attitude. I know we all think about it but we don't let it run our lives. We can all have bad days, but we can also bounce back and tell this cancer I'm running my life and not it. By the way I have got the white hair.

    Agreed

    I agree on the bad days comment. I was doing great for over a week, then yesterday I had pain in my left side and blood in my urine again. That took the wind out of my sails. A good night's rest works wonders though. I can't let it get me down.

  • angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member
    BLKJAK said:

    Agreed

    I agree on the bad days comment. I was doing great for over a week, then yesterday I had pain in my left side and blood in my urine again. That took the wind out of my sails. A good night's rest works wonders though. I can't let it get me down.

    Blkjak perhaps you an a uti

    Blkjak perhaps you an a uti infection.  Please be sure to see your GP and also maybe a call to your oncologist?     I hope you feel better!  Keep up the positive attitude, a good looking person such as yourself won't have it any other way!! ;)

     

     

  • alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member
    BLKJAK said:

    Agreed

    I agree on the bad days comment. I was doing great for over a week, then yesterday I had pain in my left side and blood in my urine again. That took the wind out of my sails. A good night's rest works wonders though. I can't let it get me down.

    blood in urine

    Perhaps that blood in urine is a UTI but don't dismiss it. Make sure you give your doctor a call and let him decide if it should be a wait and see situation. He may well want to see you. Err on the side of caution - Please!

     

    Keep us posted.

  • moe1131
    moe1131 Member Posts: 8
    BLKJAK said:

    Still working

    Yep, I am still working. I am a network engineer so my work doesn't involve much lifting or moving. It's definiitely more mental than physical and I'm grateful for that. The owner of the company is very compassionate about my situation. He told me that if I am tired I should go home and take a nap. I am pretty lucky overall.

    BLKAK

    Hello BLKJAK, I plan to continue to work I work at a hospital so I also have very understanding supervisors and team members who are great.

    Sorry to hear about the blood in your urine, but it very well could be UTI I had a few of those and there awful.

     What I have gathered from this site and the Sarcoma Allinnce site sounds like many have had to have their dosage reduced while on this drug, cannot sustain the 800mg. I have to question whether I should start out at 800 mg ? My Oncologist does not have any other patient on this drug. Please keep us posted on how your doing stay strong it's another bump in in the road. I won't start thr drug for another three weeks.

     

     

  • BLKJAK
    BLKJAK Member Posts: 108
    alice124 said:

    blood in urine

    Perhaps that blood in urine is a UTI but don't dismiss it. Make sure you give your doctor a call and let him decide if it should be a wait and see situation. He may well want to see you. Err on the side of caution - Please!

     

    Keep us posted.

    Blood in urine

    The blood in my urine is what started this whole thing. No UTI or kidney stones were noted. It comes and goes. I was told it could be from the cancer and that blood in the urine is a sign of kidney cancer. It's not all the time. If I do too much moving (lifting, twisting, bending) it might happen. It cleared up pretty quickly this last time. I'm not sure what's causing it, but no one seemed overly concerned.