Two cancers

LizzyC
LizzyC Member Posts: 2
Hi! I'm new here. Been searching online for anyone who has/ is going thru multiple cancers. Almost 2 years ago I had a melanoma removed. I got over that easily. I figured it was a one-off, you know? Other than a big old scar that reminds me, I didn't spend much time worrying about it.

Then last spring they found kidney cancer. It was not related to the skin cancer but was a new primary. I had a radical nephrectomy at the end of June and it's not so easy getting past it this time. In both cases they got all the cancer and I just have to do 6 month follow ups.

Now they find I have 2 "precancerous" conditions in my esophagus and in my colon.

I feel like the various types of cancer are fighting to see which one gets to take me out! It's stressful. I started seeing a psycho-oncologist and now I'm on Zoloft and that's definitely helping my mood.

I try to think positively but that's easier said than done. :). I just turned 60 (if that matters) and I feel like I'm too young for all this. I know people die at any age but I had plans and now my life is all pills, doctors apps., blood work - definitely not what I had planned. I feel baly that I'm whining about it on here so I'll stop but would love to hear from anyone with a liitle experience or wisdom or advice.

Thanks!

Lizzy

Comments

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    multiple cancers
    Hi Liz. You are not alone. I am also 60. Radical nephrectomy in march 2011. Crap load of mets that followed. But fortunately I'm responding to a clinical trial drug and should be around a long time.(my fingers are crossed) But earlier this spring they removed a basal cell ca from my back. During the procedure, the Dr. said that she did not like the look of a forhead dark area. Yep. Melanoma. Removed by a plastic surgeon. Sheesh. I'll tell you what we profess on this forum. Don't waste your life and your time worrying and dwelling on these things. Too much energy that could be put into positive thoughts. Take care of yourself, move on,and live. Take your meds as necessary. Smile. Tell crummy jokes (we like those).Do something fun. Cherish life. You are not alone here.
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    foxhd said:

multiple cancers
    Hi Liz. You are not alone. I am also 60. Radical nephrectomy in march 2011. Crap load of mets that followed. But fortunately I'm responding to a clinical trial drug and should be around a long time.(my fingers are crossed) But earlier this spring they removed a basal cell ca from my back. During the procedure, the Dr. said that she did not like the look of a forhead dark area. Yep. Melanoma. Removed by a plastic surgeon. Sheesh. I'll tell you what we profess on this forum. Don't waste your life and your time worrying and dwelling on these things. Too much energy that could be put into positive thoughts. Take care of yourself, move on,and live. Take your meds as necessary. Smile. Tell crummy jokes (we like those).Do something fun. Cherish life. You are not alone here.

Two cancers
    Lizzy,

I was a lot younger than you when I was diagnosed with RCC (58) and had the surgery the week after I turned 59, ten summers ago. At this point I cannot worry about the other things I have such as: Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease, Gout, possible surgery for restricted airways in my mouth, a bad knee and I haven't thoght it worth mentioning until now, pre cancerous polups in the colon. So what. None of these are going to kill me unless they get a lot worse and all are under control. And by the way my mother is a Colon Cancer survivor going on 40 years (she will be 91 on Thanksgiving). Ten years ago I fought and beat a disease that could of killed me (RCC). As you and I get older we face new medical adverseties. Lets fight the one's we have and know about and not worry about the ones we do not have yet.

And by the way welcome to our club.

Icemantoo
  • LizzyC
    LizzyC Member Posts: 2
    icemantoo said:

Two cancers
    Lizzy,

I was a lot younger than you when I was diagnosed with RCC (58) and had the surgery the week after I turned 59, ten summers ago. At this point I cannot worry about the other things I have such as: Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease, Gout, possible surgery for restricted airways in my mouth, a bad knee and I haven't thoght it worth mentioning until now, pre cancerous polups in the colon. So what. None of these are going to kill me unless they get a lot worse and all are under control. And by the way my mother is a Colon Cancer survivor going on 40 years (she will be 91 on Thanksgiving). Ten years ago I fought and beat a disease that could of killed me (RCC). As you and I get older we face new medical adverseties. Lets fight the one's we have and know about and not worry about the ones we do not have yet.

Icemantoo

Thank you
    Thank you Fox and Iceman. I'm sorry any of us has to go through these but I am glad to know I'm not alone. I will do my best not to worry. Perhaps as time goes by I'll get better at it.
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    LizzyC said:

Thank you
    Thank you Fox and Iceman. I'm sorry any of us has to go through these but I am glad to know I'm not alone. I will do my best not to worry. Perhaps as time goes by I'll get better at it.

Tough Love
    Lizzy.

I am glad to hear you took my tough love positively. I had worried that I came on a little strong.

Icemantoo
  • foxhd
    icemantoo said:

Tough Love
    Lizzy.

I am glad to hear you took my tough love positively. I had worried that I came on a little strong.

Icemantoo

takes time
    Liz, the concept of "living" with cancer does get easier with time. Although I think about it constantly myself, I don't look at it any different than if I had diabetes, baldness, or needed glasses.Wait, I am balding and I do need glasses! The "perfect" body is no more. But it is good for another 100,000 miles. Sort of like being a virgin. Or not. Just another day. Don't let it run or ruin your life.
  • tmcjay
    tmcjay Member Posts: 35
    Two Primary Cancers
    Hi Lizzie,
    I also have 2 primary cancers. I have rcc in my right kidney, and I also had surgery to remove part of my esophogus due to esophogus cancer. I also had chemo and radiation for the ec cancer, and am now waiting to have partial removal of the kidney. My oncologist told me that kidney cancer and esophogus cancer occurring at the same time as primaries is becoming more common and they don't know why. Just lucky I guess.
  • lbinmsp
    lbinmsp Member Posts: 266
    To Lizzy - from Liz
    Yes, there's another one here! First, I am so sorry about what you're going through but I can tell you've got a great spirit and amazing inner strength. Having said that - I want you to know without a shadow of a doubt - that you can and should whine now and again! You deserve it - you need it - helps let out steam - helps keep you on course, I think. And, this is a great place to do it.

I was 54 when I was diagnosed with RCC. Had the nephrectomy - moved on. Four and a half years later - diagnosed with a very early breast cancer. Had surgery, radiation - moved on. Six months later found the RCC had moved to the lung. Had surgery - moved on. Five years after that - RCC back yet again (now I'm 65). There are some others here who also have/had multiple cancers - and it just sucks (ok, not a great word to use - but it says it all, as far as I'm concerned). Of course we all have a lot of more age-related, non-cancer issues - but those are just part of life.

Have you had the new 'pre cancerous conditions' biopsied? Or can they be biopsied? I don't know where you live but there are some really great places doing cutting edge research on RCC and melanoma and you may qualify for a good clinical trial. I've learned that many of the drugs currently in use for RCC were approved initially for Melanoma - and many of the current trials are focusing on these two cancers together. HDIL2 is a good example - first approved for melanoma - now being used for advanced RCC.

My oncologist wanted me to see a geneticist - besides my own cancers, I had family members with unique and non-familial cancers. However, my insurance wouldn't cover the cost of seeing a geneticist so I opted out. The feeling was that my family was somehow missing the 'anti-cancer gene'. I don't understand this at all but apparently there is some 'gene' that fights cancers from the moment a cell is recognized in the body. OK - nuff of my non-existent scientific knowledge.

Please keep posting and let us know what's happening with you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

LizB
  • DogRescuer
    DogRescuer Member Posts: 52 Member
    Count me too!
    I'm 64 and had Stage 2 breast cancer 3 yrs ago with surgery and chemo. Then last Feb I was diagnosed with Clear Cell Kidney Cancer--stage 3 so I have to get scans every 3 mos. Next one is Sept 20th--ugh, dreading it. I totally agree with you Lizzy, having one cancer is bad, but having 2 is horrendous. It does a job on you mentally and emotionally. I wished I could send you a private message, but I don't know how to do it on this board. Anyone know???

Last week I went to the kidney cancer support group and there was a genetic counselor there who talked about hereditary cancer. She also mentioned 'syndromes' which involve a mutated gene and can result in a cluster of conditions. While reading a handout, I learned about Cowden Syndrome, which can include cancers of the breast, uterus, thyroid and *newly discovered* kidney. Since I dinged 2 of the boxes along with LOTS of thyroid problems with me as well as many family members, she asked me to call her. I have an appt with a genetic counselor next Thursday. There are some conditions which I don't have like a large circumference head and certain skin conditions. There's a study out of the Cleveland Clinic that I might qualify for--there's no cure but it would provide me a free genetic test. When the affected gene is working, I believe, it controls cell/tumor growth.

OK to prove I still have a sense of humor through all this, here's my funny:

Do you even remember when pills weren't a part of your 4 food groups?
    Me neither.
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798

Count me too!
    I'm 64 and had Stage 2 breast cancer 3 yrs ago with surgery and chemo. Then last Feb I was diagnosed with Clear Cell Kidney Cancer--stage 3 so I have to get scans every 3 mos. Next one is Sept 20th--ugh, dreading it. I totally agree with you Lizzy, having one cancer is bad, but having 2 is horrendous. It does a job on you mentally and emotionally. I wished I could send you a private message, but I don't know how to do it on this board. Anyone know???

Last week I went to the kidney cancer support group and there was a genetic counselor there who talked about hereditary cancer. She also mentioned 'syndromes' which involve a mutated gene and can result in a cluster of conditions. While reading a handout, I learned about Cowden Syndrome, which can include cancers of the breast, uterus, thyroid and *newly discovered* kidney. Since I dinged 2 of the boxes along with LOTS of thyroid problems with me as well as many family members, she asked me to call her. I have an appt with a genetic counselor next Thursday. There are some conditions which I don't have like a large circumference head and certain skin conditions. There's a study out of the Cleveland Clinic that I might qualify for--there's no cure but it would provide me a free genetic test. When the affected gene is working, I believe, it controls cell/tumor growth.

OK to prove I still have a sense of humor through all this, here's my funny:

Do you even remember when pills weren't a part of your 4 food groups?
    Me neither.

Messaging
    In the left column are coloured side-bars. The upper one, coloured brown and headed CSN has a menu item (third from bottom) labelled "CSN Email" . If you click on that you'll find a very useful and friendly facility which is self-explanatory.
  • foxhd

Messaging
    In the left column are coloured side-bars. The upper one, coloured brown and headed CSN has a menu item (third from bottom) labelled "CSN Email" . If you click on that you'll find a very useful and friendly facility which is self-explanatory.

food groups
    ........."pills as part of the 4 food groups"........That's funny!!!! Sometimes I have told patients who take a lot of pills that if they put them in a bowl and covered them with tomato sauce it would be a full meal.
  • DogRescuer
    DogRescuer Member Posts: 52 Member
    foxhd said:

food groups
    ........."pills as part of the 4 food groups"........That's funny!!!! Sometimes I have told patients who take a lot of pills that if they put them in a bowl and covered them with tomato sauce it would be a full meal.

Good one, Fox!
    Maybe we should put them all in a Halloween bowl and pretend it's our personal candy. It's all in the perception, huh?
  • Limelife50
    Limelife50 Member Posts: 476
    2 here also
    I have been dxed with RCC and also TCC of the bladder.
  • Limelife50
    tmcjay said:

Two Primary Cancers
    Hi Lizzie,
    I also have 2 primary cancers. I have rcc in my right kidney, and I also had surgery to remove part of my esophogus due to esophogus cancer. I also had chemo and radiation for the ec cancer, and am now waiting to have partial removal of the kidney. My oncologist told me that kidney cancer and esophogus cancer occurring at the same time as primaries is becoming more common and they don't know why. Just lucky I guess.

Hi tmcjay
    Mind if i ask if you had smoking habit
  • Tahiri
    Tahiri Member Posts: 2
    two cancers as well
    Hi Lizzy, I had two cancers as well, basal cell carcinoma of the skin 12 years ago when I was just 48, and RCC removed from my right kidney a year and 2 months ago at age 59. Also had a benign 1 cm angiomyolipoma in the same kidney where my RCC was. As of today I am free of cancer and feeling very well, doing my routines, working, traveling, and most of all enjoying life. Two months after my right nephrectomy I went to Lourdes to paid my promise and I travel by car half France and half Spain. So, dont worry cancer is common now, and treatments are much better than years ago.
  • tmcjay
    tmcjay Member Posts: 35

Hi tmcjay
    Mind if i ask if you had smoking habit

Actually,
    Yes I do mind.
  • angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member
    Tahiri said:

two cancers as well
    Hi Lizzy, I had two cancers as well, basal cell carcinoma of the skin 12 years ago when I was just 48, and RCC removed from my right kidney a year and 2 months ago at age 59. Also had a benign 1 cm angiomyolipoma in the same kidney where my RCC was. As of today I am free of cancer and feeling very well, doing my routines, working, traveling, and most of all enjoying life. Two months after my right nephrectomy I went to Lourdes to paid my promise and I travel by car half France and half Spain. So, dont worry cancer is common now, and treatments are much better than years ago.

I am so wondering if all of
    I am so wondering if all of the radiation from frequent scanning is causing multiple cancers. Especially of the esophagus. My mom had breat cancer at 63' now at 80 RCC and possibly something on her esophagus. How do they treat esophagus cancer? Can Votrient be used for both? Just wondering if anyone knows. Wishing everyone the best.
  • Limelife50
    tmcjay said:

Actually,
    Yes I do mind.

OOOPS SORRY
    Meant no harm i asked only because i did smoke right up to the day i was told i had cancer and i do feel their is a elavated risk of contracting the disease if one chooses to smoke,well the stats do not lie and smoking is one of if not the worst life style choice a person can make.
  • vittoria01
    vittoria01 Member Posts: 23
    icemantoo said:

Two cancers
    Lizzy,

Icemantoo

ICEMANTOO
    Congratulations, you transmit so much positive '
  • vittoria01
    icemantoo said:

Two cancers
    Lizzy,

Icemantoo

ICEMANTOO
    Congratulations, you transmit so much positive '
  • vittoria01
    TWO CANCER
    HI LIZZY
    I had two primary cancers:
    thyroid and kidney