Questions about RICE Chemotherapy

Hi everyone,

I have a new friend who was diagnosed with Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma
a few months ago. He's completed four rounds of Rituxan and responded pretty well
but has one area/spot that didn't seem to respond. He just started RICE treatment
last week (I think he's going to have 4 cycles).

I've done some research but thought I'd reach out here to get some feedback
about your experiences with RICE. I'm just looking for any information (positive
and negative) you could share regarding side effects, issues, how you tolerated it, etc. that I might share with him. I know some of the elements are the same as in
R-EPOCH (my treatment regimen).

I've read posts here where some of you have had this therapy. I'm just trying
to save some time but will "dig" more as I have time later. Thank you for
any information you can provide.

Hugs and positive thoughts,

Jim
DX: DLBL 4/2011, Chemo completed 10/2011, currently in remission. :)

Comments

• scuttlebug11
    scuttlebug11 Member Posts: 175
    rice therepy
    i only had two cycles of rice it knocked my platteletes down and they did't come back up it made me really sick in the second cycle and it gave me the worst heartburn i ever had that night they finally just knocked me out with adtivan, i am still tired from it and its been three months. blessings denise
  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107

rice therepy
    i only had two cycles of rice it knocked my platteletes down and they did't come back up it made me really sick in the second cycle and it gave me the worst heartburn i ever had that night they finally just knocked me out with adtivan, i am still tired from it and its been three months. blessings denise

Thanks
    Thanks, Denise. You are a blessing by the way :).

Jim
  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    jimwins said:

Thanks
    Thanks, Denise. You are a blessing by the way :).

Jim

Rice
    Wiped me out. Slept alot and was white as a ghost. I hated it!!
  • KatMat
    KatMat Member Posts: 62
    dixiegirl said:

Rice
    Wiped me out. Slept alot and was white as a ghost. I hated it!!

RICE side effects
    My husband just had his first RICE about 2 1/2 weeks ago. He had a bit of nausea while getting the therapy and then about 4 days afterward he had pretty good heartburn and constipation. His taste was slightly affected, soda and water did not taste good but food tastes fine (unlike with the R-Chop). He woke up one morning and said he felt drunk but that feeling was gone by the afternoon. Other than that, he tolerated it very well. His platlets are way down but we were told that's normal. He has been otherwise doing normal activities.

Round 2 is next week so hopefully that will go well.

Good luck to your friend. I hope all goes well.

Katie
  • trustinJesus
    trustinJesus Member Posts: 59
    KatMat said:

RICE side effects
    My husband just had his first RICE about 2 1/2 weeks ago. He had a bit of nausea while getting the therapy and then about 4 days afterward he had pretty good heartburn and constipation. His taste was slightly affected, soda and water did not taste good but food tastes fine (unlike with the R-Chop). He woke up one morning and said he felt drunk but that feeling was gone by the afternoon. Other than that, he tolerated it very well. His platlets are way down but we were told that's normal. He has been otherwise doing normal activities.

Round 2 is next week so hopefully that will go well.

Good luck to your friend. I hope all goes well.

Katie

didn't really do anything
    My dad also a diffuse large b cell. He did 6 rounds of rchop and three treatments of rice. The rice was much harder than the r chop. Hospital stay for 3 days. It didn't do anything to the cancer. He had a stem cell treatment in April. Every time he has another treatment it gets harder and he gets weaker. Lost 40lbs after stem cell treatment.His lymphoma is gone and the doctors are not sure at what point it went away because he got a lung infection which mimics the lymphoma.
  • Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member

didn't really do anything
    My dad also a diffuse large b cell. He did 6 rounds of rchop and three treatments of rice. The rice was much harder than the r chop. Hospital stay for 3 days. It didn't do anything to the cancer. He had a stem cell treatment in April. Every time he has another treatment it gets harder and he gets weaker. Lost 40lbs after stem cell treatment.His lymphoma is gone and the doctors are not sure at what point it went away because he got a lung infection which mimics the lymphoma.

RICE

Jim,

I did a little reading on RICE, which of course is ICE with rituxan added (R-ICE). In general, it seems like pretty harsh stuff -- Dixie Girl had it, and she has had a lot of different treatments, as I recall.

One article mentioned that it is usually given as an inpatient, which ties with it being strong stuff, plus the administration is somewhat complex, such that probably only your doc or nursing staff could keep up with it.

It is given mostly for aggressive NHL. Some or all of it is also given pre-SCT. I would expect a fairly rough ride.

I found it interesting that it has its own nurlasta-type drug for WBC, and it is given over several days, which is very different from neulasta, of course.

RICE may be what my neighbor got about a year before I got cancer. I say this because he had aggressive NHL, and had to go into the hospital for severaldays for each infusion. It literally but him down,for a long time. But it also saved his life !

max

• jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone for your posts.
    It has been helpful and I will share with my friend.

Good wishes to all,

Jim
  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    jimwins said:

Thanks
    Thank you everyone for your posts.
    It has been helpful and I will share with my friend.

Good wishes to all,

Jim

Very hard
    It made me puke on the last day of the 3 day cycle
  • winthefight
    winthefight Member Posts: 162
    I've had RICE about 3 1/2 yrs ago
    Hi Jim,

I too had Rice only months after I received R-CHOP. I must say it was a lot of chemo: Monday: Rituxin,
    Tues: A break (drug holiday)
    Wed: chemo
    Thurs: 2 chemos and admitted to the hospital to receive a 24 hour dose of more chemo
    Friday: yet another dose of chemo and fluids
    Saturday: Fluids and released.

This was my cycle every 3 weeks.

I had the treatment 3-4 years ago. I never got sick. I never lost my appetite for more than 2 days out of the total 7 sessions I had.

Cons: Once I was taken off of the steroids, it felt like I got run over by a bus. But, the pain left in 3 days every time.

Pros: Here I am alive and well 4 years later. I've had three relapse, but here I am about to celebrate my 5th year as a survivor next month.

One thing I did was I prayed over my treatments. When the nurse would come with my premeds and chemos/Rituxin, I prayed over them. When my nurse administered the treatments in the doctor's office, I asked her to pray over them. She assured me she was ahead of me. But, I made sure to ask her each time, just to make sure.

I did document the way I felt during this time. If there is more specific information you would like about my journey with RICE, please email me here at CSN.

I have nothing bad to say about my experience with RICE (other than the annoying chemo-brain). The pain that I had after the week of treatments were only temporary. Thank God for his strength and healing!!!

In my opinion, it is worth a try. Good luck with your friend. Continue to be blessed.

Take care,
    Winthefight, cancer warrior.
    DLBC staged 4B.

Hi Jim,

I too had Rice only months after I received R-CHOP. I must say it was a lot of chemo: Monday: Rituxin,
    Thurs: 2 chemos and admitted to the hospital to receive a 24 hour dose of more chemo

I had the treatment 3-4 years ago. I never got sick. I never lost my appetite for more than 2 days out of the total 7 sessions I had.

Cons: Once I was taken off of the steroids, it felt like I got run over by a bus. But, the pain left in 3 days every time.

Pros: Here I am alive and well 4 years later. I've had three relapse, but here I am about to celebrate my 5th year as a survivor next month.

One thing I did was I prayed over my treatments. When the nurse would come with my premeds and chemos/Rituxin, I prayed over them. When my nurse administered the treatments in the doctor's office, I asked her to pray over them. She assured me she was ahead of me. But, I made sure to ask her each time, just to make sure.

I did document the way I felt during this time. If there is more specific information you would like about my journey with RICE, please email me here at CSN.

I have nothing bad to say about my experience with RICE (other than the annoying chemo-brain). The pain that I had after the week of treatments were only temporary. Thank God for his strength and healing!!!

In my opinion, it is worth a try. Good luck with your friend. Continue to be blessed.

Take care,
    DLBC staged 4B.

Win

Winthefight,

A beautiful tale, beautifully written. I especially like the "prayer" section.

max
  • miss maggie
    miss maggie Member Posts: 929

Hi Jim,

Take care,
    DLBC staged 4B.

Well spoken
    Dear Warrior,

I hope you don't mind me calling you warrior. I like what you wrote. Everything is worth it when you are a survivor. God Bless 5 years and let it be 100 years or so. LOL

I am also a survivor. I am in remission 2 years now.

Thank you for your story. Love Maggie
  • jump
    jump Member Posts: 7
    hello
    I had R-ICE treatment for a very aggresive nhl that I had. I recieved it prior to my transplants (I had 2 transplants). Was it rough? I dont know, all I knew is that whatever my doctors wanted me to do, I did. You just have to keep your mind focused and know you will survive.
  • jump
    jump Member Posts: 7

Hi Jim,

Take care,
    DLBC staged 4B.

hey
    God bless you winthefight. You are a true warrior. My hats off to you. I am 3 yrs post treatment now...you hang in there
  • onlytoday
    onlytoday Member Posts: 609 Member

Hi Jim,

Take care,
    DLBC staged 4B.

Prayer
    Winthefight,

I also pray over the chemo each time. I either do it myself or with my family. I also have many angels that come in the form of friends,neighbors, and church family members praying as well. And our family here too.

I believe that the medicine does kill the cancer and allows us to find Remission but I also belief with my whole being that the prayers make it work better, calms us and the staff, and lifts us even when we are struggling with side effects.

So prayers to you my friend. And to all on this sight. Thank you for your inspiring post.

Donna (onlytoday)
  • winthefight

Win

Winthefight,

A beautiful tale, beautifully written. I especially like the "prayer" section.

max

prayer
    Thanks Max. I couldn't do it without prayers.
  • winthefight

Well spoken
    Dear Warrior,

I hope you don't mind me calling you warrior. I like what you wrote. Everything is worth it when you are a survivor. God Bless 5 years and let it be 100 years or so. LOL

I am also a survivor. I am in remission 2 years now.

Thank you for your story. Love Maggie

thanks
    Thank you for your kind words. And a big congratulations on your 2 years of remission! woo hoo!
  • winthefight
    jump said:

hey
    God bless you winthefight. You are a true warrior. My hats off to you. I am 3 yrs post treatment now...you hang in there

thanks
    Hi Jump,

Thanks, my hat and wig (wink) off to you as well. I'll hang in there. You do the same.
  • winthefight
    onlytoday said:

Prayer
    Winthefight,

I also pray over the chemo each time. I either do it myself or with my family. I also have many angels that come in the form of friends,neighbors, and church family members praying as well. And our family here too.

I believe that the medicine does kill the cancer and allows us to find Remission but I also belief with my whole being that the prayers make it work better, calms us and the staff, and lifts us even when we are struggling with side effects.

So prayers to you my friend. And to all on this sight. Thank you for your inspiring post.

Donna (onlytoday)

support
    It's good to know others are praying over the treatment. Having a good support group is a blessing. Even, if you don't have a support group praying....we sure can. A big hug and prayers to you and your fantastic support team. You are welcome. My story is to encourage others, you can make it. So, I am willing to tell my story to anyone who wants to listen. If I can do it...so can anyone else.

Be blessed Donna. :0)

prayer
    Thanks Max. I couldn't do it without prayers.

Offer it Up !

Winthefight,

No one could. A friend had cancer of the nose (melenomia), then stage 4 of the bladder a few years later. Massive surgery (12 inch incision), and went on a bag for life. In ICU for 30 days after surgery on chemo, and then Acute Care for two more months. He could remember NOTHING of the whole three months in the hospital.

His mother was a "Prayer Warrior," a term we know here in the South very well. He attributed his whole recovery to her, rightly so, I am sure.

I had a lot of serious side-effects from my chemo, but I would do twice as much tomorrow if I had to. Even at the end of treatment, and in horrible, horrible shape, I was ready to do more. It is just what we have to be ready to endure.

I have a saying which I use at the cancer center and elsewhere:

"I'd rather have side-effects than have cancer."

max

• christinav80
    christinav80 Member Posts: 3
    Starting R-ICE March 6

Hi everyone, Thank you for the information and esperiences you have had during this tough time. I had 6 rounds R-EPOCH last year, but my latest biopsy showed that I still have Primary Mediastinal B Cell Lymphoma. Unfortunately my Cancer is just as stubborn as I am! Anyways, I will be starting R-ICE chemotherapy March 6th and will do either 2 or 3 rounds of it until I have a date for when I start Autologous Stem Cell Transplant. After reading everyone's experiences, it looks like R-ICE is very similar to E-EPOCH. It was tough, but I got through it, so I plan on making it through this as well.

Has anyone undergone Autologous Stem Cell transplant? and if so, are there any tips that might make the transplant easier???

Thank you!