Scan results, not good. :-(

Comments

• omrhill
    omrhill Member Posts: 125
    Cynthia
    Words fail us at times like this. Sending thoughts and prayers for you and Rick.

Love,

Robin
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member

words not forming
    will be thinking of you both and sending prayers and hugs.

Just curious have you looked
    Just curious have you looked into any clinical trials at all. Something that's not mainstream may help him, some drug your oncologist doesn't know about. I'm going to tip toe into supplements that supposedly sensitize cancer cells to chemo. drugs. One I can think of off hand was one that was posted recently ursolic acid and xeloda....
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Cynthia:
    I am speechless and numb, I just can't believe what I am reading. I'm so very sorry for the news you received.

Love and Hugs - Tina
  • Cathleen Mary
    Cathleen Mary Member Posts: 827 Member
    geotina said:

Cynthia:
    I am speechless and numb, I just can't believe what I am reading. I'm so very sorry for the news you received.

Love and Hugs - Tina

Cynthia, I can only imagine

Cynthia, I can only imagine how difficult a day this has been for you and Rick. Please know that you are in my heart and prayer. This forum is a testament to how many times doctors have been wrong. They are often wonderful and human. Hope belongs to you; no one has the right to take it away....especially with a smile on their face. Strength and peace.

Hugs,
    Cathleen Mary
  • Maxiecat
    Maxiecat Member Posts: 544 Member
    I am so sorry to hear this
    I am so sorry to hear this news about Rick. I will keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers. I am hoping that your doctors can find something that will work for him....maybe they can try that new drug.

(((Gentle hugs)))

Alex
  • wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    Maxiecat said:

I am so sorry to hear this
    I am so sorry to hear this news about Rick. I will keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers. I am hoping that your doctors can find something that will work for him....maybe they can try that new drug.

(((Gentle hugs)))

Alex

Cynthia
    This is just so hard to read and understand. My thoughts are with you and Rick.

Luv,

Wolfen
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Cynthia
    D@amn it, I hate hearing this. Let's hope that zaltrap gives a bit of hope?!
    I'm going to keep hoping dear, I know this has to be mind numbing, my thoughts will be constantly with you both. Just heart sickening news to hear. Holding you tight in my heart.
    Winter Marie
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    so sorry to hear the onc's opinion
    Tomorrow will still be a precious day for you, for Rick for us all.

I hope you find some joy in your days, in all your days.

No one knows how many.

Big, tender hugs,
    Pete
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    I an soooooo sorry to hear
    I an soooooo sorry to hear that.
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member

I an soooooo sorry to hear
    I an soooooo sorry to hear that.

i too
    am sorry about this news.i think we all fear or at least i do fear hearing those words some day.keep hanging in there and remember the Lord is with you by your side everyday...Godbless...johnnybegood
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member

i too
    am sorry about this news.i think we all fear or at least i do fear hearing those words some day.keep hanging in there and remember the Lord is with you by your side everyday...Godbless...johnnybegood

immensely sorry to hear this
    I will be in NH next week resting at a friends home after having radiation in nyc. Never been to NH, but you both will be on my mind the entire time.
    XOXO
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    janie1 said:

immensely sorry to hear this
    I will be in NH next week resting at a friends home after having radiation in nyc. Never been to NH, but you both will be on my mind the entire time.
    XOXO

Cyn , fell so sorry about the recent news ,but...got a bunch of
    New drugs like Phil said, Zaltrap, regorafenib, also they discover recently that Avastn mixed with any other chemo works again !
    I been in any drug available but now they mixed xeloda with Avastin and is working very well!
    I was in both previously but not together! Also got ciberknife and RFA! Did they ever offered any if this possibilities?
    Why don't you try with a different Oncologist?.
    Well cyn I will be praying for you Both!
    Hugs my dear Cyn!
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    pepebcn said:

Cyn , fell so sorry about the recent news ,but...got a bunch of
    New drugs like Phil said, Zaltrap, regorafenib, also they discover recently that Avastn mixed with any other chemo works again !
    I been in any drug available but now they mixed xeloda with Avastin and is working very well!
    I was in both previously but not together! Also got ciberknife and RFA! Did they ever offered any if this possibilities?
    Why don't you try with a different Oncologist?.
    Well cyn I will be praying for you Both!
    Hugs my dear Cyn!

Cynthia
    I just want to throw this out there.......since you are going to see the onc on monday.
    I think this needs to be clarified for you. The one onc said folfox didnt work because tumors came back six weeks after liver resection.
    But, prior to liver resection, i assume from the scans that the tumors SHRUNK from chemo which is why he was eligible for resection.
    If there is just one cancer cell left in the liver, a tumor can grow from that. So being off chemo for surgery would be enough time for a tumor to grow from one or more cells. That's why many times a person needs more than one surgery. Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but the onc's explanation doesnt add up.
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    janie1 said:

Cynthia
    I just want to throw this out there.......since you are going to see the onc on monday.
    I think this needs to be clarified for you. The one onc said folfox didnt work because tumors came back six weeks after liver resection.
    But, prior to liver resection, i assume from the scans that the tumors SHRUNK from chemo which is why he was eligible for resection.
    If there is just one cancer cell left in the liver, a tumor can grow from that. So being off chemo for surgery would be enough time for a tumor to grow from one or more cells. That's why many times a person needs more than one surgery. Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but the onc's explanation doesnt add up.

I like your reasoning. I'm

I like your reasoning. I'm going to send Rick this post as well as the others about Zaltrap and Regorafenib. His local NH onc. told him that he would put him back on Folfox if the Folfiri failed. So even though the Dana Faber told him that she didn't believe it will work, I'm sure that Rick will try Folfox again if our local doctor wants to give it a try. Heck, at this point, I think he'd put on feathers and dance around a fire if they thought it would help. I wish you all could have gotten to know him, he's such an optimistic, wonderful, caring Dad and partner. I've never known another man like him, he's just perfect for me....

:'-(
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member

I like your reasoning. I'm

I like your reasoning. I'm going to send Rick this post as well as the others about Zaltrap and Regorafenib. His local NH onc. told him that he would put him back on Folfox if the Folfiri failed. So even though the Dana Faber told him that she didn't believe it will work, I'm sure that Rick will try Folfox again if our local doctor wants to give it a try. Heck, at this point, I think he'd put on feathers and dance around a fire if they thought it would help. I wish you all could have gotten to know him, he's such an optimistic, wonderful, caring Dad and partner. I've never known another man like him, he's just perfect for me....

:'-(

:(
    Really hoping that with all this good advice/info, that a way will be found to put him back on the road to health.
    Thinking of you........
    Tommycat
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    tommycat said:

Really hoping that with all this good advice/info, that a way will be found to put him back on the road to health.
    Thinking of you........
    Tommycat

There's a trial/study going on involving Xeloda and Celecoxib
    at:www.demandcurestoday.org/cancer-research
    or

http://newsblaze.com/story/2012070615043500001.bw/topstory.html
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    coloCan said:

There's a trial/study going on involving Xeloda and Celecoxib
    at:www.demandcurestoday.org/cancer-research
    or

http://newsblaze.com/story/2012070615043500001.bw/topstory.html

god bless you steve, now thats a sexy link if ever their was one
    if have emailed them to what possible alternative therapies i am missing out on.

one of my alt doc's is a leader in stem cell work here.

i have not seen you post for a while, so i figure their must have been a lull in the colorectal news.

did you see the very obscure study i put up here on sfn ie broccoli powder to kill cancer stem cells.

funny the most active ingredients at our door step, but most want venture into the garden and juice or grow. these hardcore drug may help alot, i real hope so, but why not try kinder, far cheaper natural and herbal options first.

i am as passionate as ever about natural health, but this is cythia post and i am getting carried away.

hugs,
    pete

ps a real good news story for colorectal, doctor lin the onc who designed the trial, well his dad had colorectal so he has dedicated his professional life to helping crc patients.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH25jd0vXz0&feature=youtu.be
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    tommycat said:

Thinking of you........
    Tommycat

Thank you , I'm guess I'm
    Thank you , I'm guess I'm looking for a miracle at this point. He'll speak to his onc on Monday morning, so we'll wait on his advice before making any plans. That will be the deciding factor on a lot of things, like quitting his job or telling his kids - that's goIng to be a very difficult discussion. He daughter is 10 and simply adores her daddy. I'd also like to spend a few days with him on the Cape or in RI if he's up to a drive. I fell in love with him on a beach in RI, so yes, I think that might be a possible destination. :-)

Quality time together. That's what I'm striving for now.

Hugs to everyone! (((())))

Cyn
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member

Thank you , I'm guess I'm
    Thank you , I'm guess I'm looking for a miracle at this point. He'll speak to his onc on Monday morning, so we'll wait on his advice before making any plans. That will be the deciding factor on a lot of things, like quitting his job or telling his kids - that's goIng to be a very difficult discussion. He daughter is 10 and simply adores her daddy. I'd also like to spend a few days with him on the Cape or in RI if he's up to a drive. I fell in love with him on a beach in RI, so yes, I think that might be a possible destination. :-)

Quality time together. That's what I'm striving for now.

Hugs to everyone! (((())))

Cyn

(((Cyn)))
    :-)
  • SharonVegas
    SharonVegas Member Posts: 189
    Other drugs
    Hi Cynthia,
    I'm sorry you got this news. We feel your pain. We got to the point where we did not look forward to meeting with our oncologist to hear the latest results of scans. My husband has been on and off chemo for the last year and a half since he was diagnosed with non-operable stage 4 colon cancer. We have heard more than once, this or that combination of chemo drugs has stopped working,including your husband's combo of folfiri/avastin. This stopped working for us last year. Our oncologist is very creative and is heavy into research. We have an arsenal of back ups so when one stops working we try something else. We just started a phase II clinical trial (today) of Morab 4. Currently, the back up drug choices are Regorafenib or Nexxavar. Although he is not as physcially active as he was pre-cancer, his (our)quality of life is very good. In fact, he just said he feels really great right now. I hope your oncologist will consider giving you other drug options or recommending a faciity that is better suited to help your husband.
    Our thoughts are with you and your husband,
    SharonVegas