Naproxen .... interesting.

smokeyjoe
smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
ORLANDO, FL (April 6, 2011) – Numerous studies show that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) reduce the risk of colon cancer. However, animal studies testing the NSAID naproxen or its derivative, NO-naproxen, have focused primarily on chemically-induced tumor formation. Now, researchers at Fox Chase Cancer Center find that naproxen and NO-naproxen reduce tumor formation in a strain of mutant mice that spontaneously develop colon tumors. The data also suggest that naproxen blocks a gatekeeper step that initiates tumor formation.

Margie Clapper, PhD, Co-Leader of the Cancer Prevention and Control Program at Fox Chase, will present the data in a late-breaking abstract session at the AACR 102nd Annual Meeting 2011 on Wednesday, April 6.

“There is a major effect on the very small lesions, about a 90% reduction in the mutant mice treated with naproxen compared with control animals,” says Clapper. “That tells us this drug may be very appropriate for intervening early in people, far in advance of the development of large tumors. We might be able to have a significant impact on the very early and small lesions, thus reducing the morbidity associated with the disease.”

Scientists have shown previously that both naproxen and NO-naproxen kill colon cancer cells in culture, with NO-naproxen appearing to be more powerful than naproxen. In the current study, the team fed mice genetically predisposed to spontaneously develop colon tumors either regular food or food supplemented with high- or low-dose naproxen or high- or low-dose NO-naproxen. After 45 days, they found that mice fed low-dose naproxen had 70.3% fewer small tumors than the control animals and mice fed low-dose NO-naproxen had 64.0% fewer tumors than control animals. Moreover, a 89.3% reduction in very small tumors, known as microadenomas, was observed when mice were fed high-dose naproxen

Comments

• janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    Thanks Smokey.
    I had to read

Thanks Smokey.
    I had to read this a couple of times where it says "NO-naproxen appearing to be more powerful than naproxen". But then the percentages indicate naproxen more effective.
    I'm sure I'm looking at it wrong......tired. Anyway, hoping, hoping, something good in the pipeline somewhere.
    Always interesting.
  • smokeyjoe
    janie1 said:

Thanks Smokey.
    I had to read

Thanks Smokey.
    I had to read this a couple of times where it says "NO-naproxen appearing to be more powerful than naproxen". But then the percentages indicate naproxen more effective.
    I'm sure I'm looking at it wrong......tired. Anyway, hoping, hoping, something good in the pipeline somewhere.
    Always interesting.

The "NO" isn't the word
    The "NO" isn't the word no...it stands for this (sorry if it was confusing) .........Researchers show that nitric oxide-donating naproxen can boost colorectal cancer prevention
    April 21, 2010

Past randomized clinical trials have shown that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), including naproxen, can reduce the risk of colon cancer and precancerous polyps in humans. Now, researchers at Fox Chase Cancer Center have found that an investigational form of naproxen, called nitric oxide-donating naproxen (NO-naproxen), can block one of the earliest molecular changes that lead to colorectal cancer development while also reducing gastrointestinal toxicity, a relatively common side effect associated with NSAIDs
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    smokeyjoe said:

The "NO" isn't the word
    The "NO" isn't the word no...it stands for this (sorry if it was confusing) .........Researchers show that nitric oxide-donating naproxen can boost colorectal cancer prevention
    April 21, 2010

Past randomized clinical trials have shown that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), including naproxen, can reduce the risk of colon cancer and precancerous polyps in humans. Now, researchers at Fox Chase Cancer Center have found that an investigational form of naproxen, called nitric oxide-donating naproxen (NO-naproxen), can block one of the earliest molecular changes that lead to colorectal cancer development while also reducing gastrointestinal toxicity, a relatively common side effect associated with NSAIDs

Hi Smokey
    Another coincidence for the accidental tourist of ca,I was on naprosyn for nearly twenty uears prior to my ca dx. It obviously did not stop the ca and it did not stop the polyps but my surgeon and onc were both surprised considering the aggression and lymph involvement that there were no mets. Ron.
  • smokeyjoe
    ron50 said:

Hi Smokey
    Another coincidence for the accidental tourist of ca,I was on naprosyn for nearly twenty uears prior to my ca dx. It obviously did not stop the ca and it did not stop the polyps but my surgeon and onc were both surprised considering the aggression and lymph involvement that there were no mets. Ron.

That's exactly what I
    That's exactly what I wondered if it would work on stopping mets..eliminating mets...stopping those cells that are floating about in our body!!!
  • joemetz
    joemetz Member Posts: 493
    Naproxen
    isn't Naproxen used for patients with Gout?
  • smokeyjoe
    joemetz said:

Naproxen
    isn't Naproxen used for patients with Gout?

Menstral
    Menstral cramps.....etc.....it's Aleve...over the counter.