CT Scan Tomorrow

JackieP125
JackieP125 Member Posts: 56
I am now 6 months post-op and scheduled to have a full body CT Scan tomorrow evening. As you guys know, anticipating these scans is very stressful. Just wanted to ask you to cross your fingers and please keep me in your prayers. God Bless.

Comments

• Bonngo
    Bonngo Member Posts: 79
    Jackie,
    I will pray for you

Jackie,

I will pray for you most definitely that everything will turn out just fine! Remember we are strong and have come through one of the biggest hurdles of our lives. Please let us know how you make out.

Bonnie
  • alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member
    Tomorrow's scan
    Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers Jackie. You're in good company with Fox and Tex; now we're going for 3 for 3 good reports.
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    CT Scan Tomorrow...
    Jackie,

Hope you are prepared to do the NED HAPPY DANCE biker style (whatever that is) 'cause I see nothing but good news in your future. Good vibes headed your way.

Gary
  • matchframe
    matchframe Member Posts: 58
    Praying!
    I just had my 6 month full CT Scan a few weeks ago. I too was stressing out about it, but when the Dr. said that I was Cancer Free, it is amazing what simple words can do in lifting the weight off the shoulders. I will be praying for you!

Bill
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

Praying!
    I just had my 6 month full CT Scan a few weeks ago. I too was stressing out about it, but when the Dr. said that I was Cancer Free, it is amazing what simple words can do in lifting the weight off the shoulders. I will be praying for you!

Bill

stress
    Jackie, the scanxiety just helps keep the muscles tight. Good luck! We're in your corner!
  • DMike
    DMike Member Posts: 259
    foxhd said:

stress
    Jackie, the scanxiety just helps keep the muscles tight. Good luck! We're in your corner!

Scan
    Jackie,
    Good luck on your scan. We'll all be thinking about you! I have my 1st 6 month scan at the end of June, so I can relate. Best wishes!
    David
  • lbinmsp
    lbinmsp Member Posts: 266
    Whispered prayers
    headed your way!

LizB
  • pjune127
    pjune127 Member Posts: 127
    Prayers
    Prayers from Atlanta, GA. I'll be thinking about you. I just "celebrated" the one year anniversary of my diagnosis. I have had about 6 CT scans in the last year. Having another June 26th. I think the more you have, the more desensitized you become. Hang tough. I feel good news is on the way!
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    pjune127 said:

Prayers
    Prayers from Atlanta, GA. I'll be thinking about you. I just "celebrated" the one year anniversary of my diagnosis. I have had about 6 CT scans in the last year. Having another June 26th. I think the more you have, the more desensitized you become. Hang tough. I feel good news is on the way!

CT scan
    Jackie, unless I've missed it while away, you've not told us whether all the prayers worked for you. We were each having CT scans on Friday and I got a telephone report from my Urologist this morning so I wondered whether you've got your report yet. We're looking forward to hearing good news from you. You're 6 months post-op so a clear scan would be very encouraging.

I'm 6 months post first op but, having had an immediate 'recurrence', I'm only 2 months post my second op so I need to be cautious in interpreting the outcome thus far - it isn't the done thing to go from stage 4, grade 4 to NED in one fell swoop so I'm not counting my chickens. However, the Consultant Radiologist's report talks, in guardedly cryptic language, of "No conclusive features of any disease" which must be good. They're following me up very closely because of my dismal pathology (worst stage and grade plus 'metastatic', extensively necrotic and predominantly sarcomatoid, i.e. extremely aggressive) and will set up another scan fairly soon so as not to take the eye off the, ball but so far so good.

I haven't been anxious - it's counter-productive anyway - but am very aware that this is a critical phase for me, particularly since (surgery aside) there's no known treatment for my pathology. Your situation is much more favourable so I hope you've not been getting too uptight in advance of what will surely be good news.
  • alice124

CT scan
    Jackie, unless I've missed it while away, you've not told us whether all the prayers worked for you. We were each having CT scans on Friday and I got a telephone report from my Urologist this morning so I wondered whether you've got your report yet. We're looking forward to hearing good news from you. You're 6 months post-op so a clear scan would be very encouraging.

I'm 6 months post first op but, having had an immediate 'recurrence', I'm only 2 months post my second op so I need to be cautious in interpreting the outcome thus far - it isn't the done thing to go from stage 4, grade 4 to NED in one fell swoop so I'm not counting my chickens. However, the Consultant Radiologist's report talks, in guardedly cryptic language, of "No conclusive features of any disease" which must be good. They're following me up very closely because of my dismal pathology (worst stage and grade plus 'metastatic', extensively necrotic and predominantly sarcomatoid, i.e. extremely aggressive) and will set up another scan fairly soon so as not to take the eye off the, ball but so far so good.

I haven't been anxious - it's counter-productive anyway - but am very aware that this is a critical phase for me, particularly since (surgery aside) there's no known treatment for my pathology. Your situation is much more favourable so I hope you've not been getting too uptight in advance of what will surely be good news.

CT Scan
    You can put caution in your optimism, but I'm not! That's wonderful news.

I can't say I'm surprised. Anyone who has followed your posts know your fight is fearless and despite setbacks, you've sprung forward like the energizer bunny. When I hear your daily workouts and regime, I'm constantly thinking "this man has stage 4/grade 4 cancer???"

Your radiologist and oncologist may be saying cancer, but your body has never given in and obviously is not in agreement. I'm so glad that drive and fight is now being reflected in the test scores!!!!

YES!!!!!
  • Texas_wedge
    alice124 said:

CT Scan
    You can put caution in your optimism, but I'm not! That's wonderful news.

I can't say I'm surprised. Anyone who has followed your posts know your fight is fearless and despite setbacks, you've sprung forward like the energizer bunny. When I hear your daily workouts and regime, I'm constantly thinking "this man has stage 4/grade 4 cancer???"

Your radiologist and oncologist may be saying cancer, but your body has never given in and obviously is not in agreement. I'm so glad that drive and fight is now being reflected in the test scores!!!!

YES!!!!!

Thanks Alice. I hope my good news gives a fillip to my fellow warrior John. You may remember that he and I were diagnosed at the same time, with similar profiles - stage 4 grade 4 with sarcomatoid elements, although he was clear cell and I chromophobe.

Have you had any feedback on possible delayed benefits that might accrue from the IL2? I think the MDX-1106 and Votrient trial will be what John really gets substantial payoff from. You'll both also value the fellow feeling, note-comparing and support you're able to get from Chris and Wendy. I hope John's shoulder is improving. If Fox's experience is anything to go by, then there's good reason to expect it will.
  • alice124

Thanks Alice. I hope my good news gives a fillip to my fellow warrior John. You may remember that he and I were diagnosed at the same time, with similar profiles - stage 4 grade 4 with sarcomatoid elements, although he was clear cell and I chromophobe.

Have you had any feedback on possible delayed benefits that might accrue from the IL2? I think the MDX-1106 and Votrient trial will be what John really gets substantial payoff from. You'll both also value the fellow feeling, note-comparing and support you're able to get from Chris and Wendy. I hope John's shoulder is improving. If Fox's experience is anything to go by, then there's good reason to expect it will.

It did give him a boost--he is thrilled too!

We still have the question on IL2 latent effect on our list to ask Dr., but we haven't actually seen Dr. Hammers for five weeks or so(?). His research nurse/team pretty much handles John's medications/infusions/regular appointments, etc. since the start of the trial. And right now, I'm happy with the attentiveness they give to John's condition. We don't actually know when we will see Dr. again, but we certainly sense that he monitors John closely through his assistants. I guess right now we're just going through the process and in a wait and see mode until the scans start (two weeks from now).

Overall John has experienced diminished pain in the shoulder and I can see an improvement in his overall energy and appetite. We're not sure if the lessened pain is a reflection of better pain management or the trial meds. We both are thinking positively and believe it's the MDX1106/Votrient. And, yes, comparing notes with Chris and Wendy, is a great resource for us.

May I make a suggestion? Assuming you just answered "yes," I'm asking you to start a new thread with your scan info. I'm worried that all the others on this Board might miss the results of your latest scan. News like this must be shared!
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647

CT scan

NCFOAD...
    Is just the cautious version of NED if you ask me. This is the first follow-up scan you have passed and I believe there will be many more!!! You are near and dear to all of us here and this news is sure to lift everyone's spirits.

How is your wife's cousin doing? My wife and I just lost yesterday, a lifelong friend who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer when I was having my nephrectomy, she was a very special lady and fought a very courageous battle.
  • Texas_wedge
    alice124 said:

It did give him a boost--he is thrilled too!

We still have the question on IL2 latent effect on our list to ask Dr., but we haven't actually seen Dr. Hammers for five weeks or so(?). His research nurse/team pretty much handles John's medications/infusions/regular appointments, etc. since the start of the trial. And right now, I'm happy with the attentiveness they give to John's condition. We don't actually know when we will see Dr. again, but we certainly sense that he monitors John closely through his assistants. I guess right now we're just going through the process and in a wait and see mode until the scans start (two weeks from now).

Overall John has experienced diminished pain in the shoulder and I can see an improvement in his overall energy and appetite. We're not sure if the lessened pain is a reflection of better pain management or the trial meds. We both are thinking positively and believe it's the MDX1106/Votrient. And, yes, comparing notes with Chris and Wendy, is a great resource for us.

May I make a suggestion? Assuming you just answered "yes," I'm asking you to start a new thread with your scan info. I'm worried that all the others on this Board might miss the results of your latest scan. News like this must be shared!

Glad to hear that John is making solid progress. I'm sure you'll both be delighted with the reports, videos etc on the success of the MDX trials. My money is on the trial drugs as the explanation for the improvement in John's shoulder.

I thought about a new thread but don't like new threads being started pointlessly all the time. [No feedback from the CSN team so far on our suggestions for improved forum structure.] I thought this was the most appropriate thread to tag onto. Also I don't want people to make too much of my results. NED from such a dismal prognosis is improbable and it might be a downer for members if I show a host of mets at my next scan in a few months time.

In addition, I'm not feeling that great, for reasons I'll detail in the reply I'm about to send to Gary.

Please give John my best wishes.
  • Texas_wedge
    garym said:

NCFOAD...
    Is just the cautious version of NED if you ask me. This is the first follow-up scan you have passed and I believe there will be many more!!! You are near and dear to all of us here and this news is sure to lift everyone's spirits.

How is your wife's cousin doing? My wife and I just lost yesterday, a lifelong friend who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer when I was having my nephrectomy, she was a very special lady and fought a very courageous battle.

NCFOAD
    I'm hoping that's right Gary. As you say, this is the first time I've "passed". First CT found the RCC 9 cm. and the second found a 'satellite' (which seems likely to have been residual from the nephrectomy) while the third has found nothing of obvious significance to cause concern. It appears that I had no mets at dx and none at 2nd CT - merely a tumour that developed (damned fast!) from a residuum of the primary and consequently I'm non-metastatic (albeit I'd been labelled as a metastatic case after the second scan).

Two interpretations of the present state of play - I'm a tough guy who has successfully kicked RCC out OR I'm a lucky guy who was caught just in time before mets began. The sensible conclusion is obviously the second one. (I can hear a third from some quarters 'You're an ornery bugger who could be guaranteed not to follow any normal pattern!'). I think a more conservative appraisal is called for, namely: so far so good, but a myriad of mets may show up at the next scan. The cheerful note is that my Urologist says that re truly 'metastatic' disease, the relevant starting date is that of my nephrectomy and not the second op and so I'm clear for 6 months since the nephrectomy early in December.

I was sorry to hear that cancer has deprived you of yet another dear friend - you seem to have been extremely unlucky in that regard. I fear we may soon be in the same boat. Colin, my Wife's cousin, was given weeks to live when he came to GB from S.A. at the turn of this year. He seemed to be doing OK in London but melanoma mets to liver lately extended to his brain and he's had several seizures. When we got there, he was paralysed from the neck down and unable to communicate. We had several harrowing days at his hospital bedside, not knowing whether he could understand anything we were saying to him or whether he recognises anyone at all. That is still the position and further treatment is impossible now.

We were going to share the driving home from London to Edinburgh but my Wife slept most of the way, so wiped out by the strain of it all (and not knowing the outcome of the scan I had just had) so I drove up in heavy rain and heavy heart, all the way. The following day I dropped my Wife at the bank where she has been on a contract as a software architect and later heard on the TV that there is a major Legionnaire's Disease outbreak affecting the whole of S.W. Edinburgh and she has been working at the epicentre of that area. 4 factories with cooling towers are the most suspect possible sources and I had been driving her past three of them on the way to the bank. So, I'm also now on the lookout for headache, cough and confusion. There are currently upwards of 70 cases and one death so far. Fortunately the only people thought to be at serious risk are older males with compromised immune systems (gulp! - I guess that's me!)

So, all in all, I'm not feeling as cheerful as my scan news should have made me, but I can't complain (and if I did it wouldn't do me any good anyway!!).
  • jhsu
    jhsu Member Posts: 80

NCFOAD
    I'm hoping that's right Gary. As you say, this is the first time I've "passed". First CT found the RCC 9 cm. and the second found a 'satellite' (which seems likely to have been residual from the nephrectomy) while the third has found nothing of obvious significance to cause concern. It appears that I had no mets at dx and none at 2nd CT - merely a tumour that developed (damned fast!) from a residuum of the primary and consequently I'm non-metastatic (albeit I'd been labelled as a metastatic case after the second scan).

Two interpretations of the present state of play - I'm a tough guy who has successfully kicked RCC out OR I'm a lucky guy who was caught just in time before mets began. The sensible conclusion is obviously the second one. (I can hear a third from some quarters 'You're an ornery bugger who could be guaranteed not to follow any normal pattern!'). I think a more conservative appraisal is called for, namely: so far so good, but a myriad of mets may show up at the next scan. The cheerful note is that my Urologist says that re truly 'metastatic' disease, the relevant starting date is that of my nephrectomy and not the second op and so I'm clear for 6 months since the nephrectomy early in December.

I was sorry to hear that cancer has deprived you of yet another dear friend - you seem to have been extremely unlucky in that regard. I fear we may soon be in the same boat. Colin, my Wife's cousin, was given weeks to live when he came to GB from S.A. at the turn of this year. He seemed to be doing OK in London but melanoma mets to liver lately extended to his brain and he's had several seizures. When we got there, he was paralysed from the neck down and unable to communicate. We had several harrowing days at his hospital bedside, not knowing whether he could understand anything we were saying to him or whether he recognises anyone at all. That is still the position and further treatment is impossible now.

We were going to share the driving home from London to Edinburgh but my Wife slept most of the way, so wiped out by the strain of it all (and not knowing the outcome of the scan I had just had) so I drove up in heavy rain and heavy heart, all the way. The following day I dropped my Wife at the bank where she has been on a contract as a software architect and later heard on the TV that there is a major Legionnaire's Disease outbreak affecting the whole of S.W. Edinburgh and she has been working at the epicentre of that area. 4 factories with cooling towers are the most suspect possible sources and I had been driving her past three of them on the way to the bank. So, I'm also now on the lookout for headache, cough and confusion. There are currently upwards of 70 cases and one death so far. Fortunately the only people thought to be at serious risk are older males with compromised immune systems (gulp! - I guess that's me!)

So, all in all, I'm not feeling as cheerful as my scan news should have made me, but I can't complain (and if I did it wouldn't do me any good anyway!!).

SNAFU
    Don't know if it is appropriate to use the acronym to describe post scan anxieties for the guys like us? Don't beat me up, I'm from out of the country.

Hey, be vigilant everyone, the game is not over until it is over.

Jon
  • Limelife50
    Limelife50 Member Posts: 476

NCFOAD

Well You Are Not Alone
    As you know Tex i had a reacurance or a bilateral or whatever you want to call it tumor discovered in my remaining priceless kidney on 04/10/10 then if you remember i had RFA to removed it on 05/02/12,just got my CT SCAN reults on 06/06 and all clear and by the way i am also a tough guy so take that, but besides that congrats on your latest SCAN
  • Texas_wedge
    jhsu said:

SNAFU
    Don't know if it is appropriate to use the acronym to describe post scan anxieties for the guys like us? Don't beat me up, I'm from out of the country.

Hey, be vigilant everyone, the game is not over until it is over.

Jon

SNAFU
    Yes, Jon, that acronym (US services? - not known over here) is apt!

{At this point I went into a long philosophical disquisition about anxiety, the analogy with bereavement, changing survival rates and other topics but my computer has let me down and lost it all and I'll spare everyone by not trying to re-create it!]

By "post scan anxieties" were you meaning awaiting results, or the period of adjustment after getting the results?

Agreed that the game is not over until it is over.
  • Texas_wedge

Well You Are Not Alone
    As you know Tex i had a reacurance or a bilateral or whatever you want to call it tumor discovered in my remaining priceless kidney on 04/10/10 then if you remember i had RFA to removed it on 05/02/12,just got my CT SCAN reults on 06/06 and all clear and by the way i am also a tough guy so take that, but besides that congrats on your latest SCAN

Not alone
    I know you're a tough guy Mike and I'm delighted to hear your great results. RFA was the right choice, it seems. (By the way, I think you got your nephrectomy year wrong!). Incidentally, I wasn't suggesting that I'm tough but rather that it looks as though maybe I've been lucky.

Now let's hope to hear of a good outcome from Jackie's scan.
  • Limelife50
    Limelife50 Member Posts: 476

Not alone
    I know you're a tough guy Mike and I'm delighted to hear your great results. RFA was the right choice, it seems. (By the way, I think you got your nephrectomy year wrong!). Incidentally, I wasn't suggesting that I'm tough but rather that it looks as though maybe I've been lucky.

Now let's hope to hear of a good outcome from Jackie's scan.

I Stand To Be Corrected
    You are right Tex it was 10/11/11 and yes i agree with you on one point about luck and that is everyone here is lucky from the perspective that we enjoy LIFE more than anyone else and with that said come on Jackie bring on that good news scan report