Leg Pain

Happy New Year!

I have a new symptom and want to know if any of you have experienced the same thing. I've been watching an area on the front of my shin that looked like a bruise, but then I thought maybe it was a vein. I noticed it about 6 weeks ago. Then 2 weeks ago my lower legs started hurting, especially at night. This very annoying discomfort- just couldn't get them comfortable.

Then today the bruise/vein was suddenly swollen and painful.

I HATE looking at every little thing like it might BE SOMETHING. But I think I should at least have my primary care doc take a look.

Have any of you had this? I had Rituxan treatment one year ago and my recent blood work looked good except elevated IGM.(1200)

Thanks.
Donna

MZ NHL Stage IV May 2010 currently on watchful waiting. Re-staging PET in two weeks.

Comments

• allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    Leg pain
    Hi Donna,
    I think what would worry me most with your leg pain is the fact that a bruise is showing with swelling and tenderness. If you didn't bump it on something to cause this and it just appeared for no reason, I would most definetely be getting in to see the doctor. It could be nothing to worry about, but it's best to get it checked out. I have quite a bit of leg and hip discomfort, but no bruising or swelling. My left side(butt, hip and knee) especially bothers me which is the side my BMB was done on. Underneath my left butt cheek it always feels like it's numb after sitting for any length of time. Also when I go to bed if I lay on my left side my hip will ache causing me to toss and turn. I'm still doing my Rituxan maint with another year of bi-monthly infusions to complete. I don't know Donna...it feels like nothing is ever going to be the same, but it is what it is and I think we are always going to worry when something new pops up. The aches and pains are quite the challenge though. Please let us know what you decide to do. Good luck my friend, and I'll keep positive thoughts that this will be something minor and non cancer related.
    Much love...Sue (FNHL-2-3a-6/10)
  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    agree with Sue
    Hey Donna,

I agree with Sue - get it checked out. I know one of the
    questions I get asked by nurses frequently is have I noticed
    any unusual bruising, etc. I think it has to do with blood
    counts (platelets?).

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

Hugs and positive thoughts,

Jim
    DX: DLBL 4/2011, Chemo completed 10/2011, currently in remission. :)
    Members are sharing recipes!:
    Recipe Sharing Project
  • onlytoday
    onlytoday Member Posts: 609 Member
    jimwins said:

agree with Sue
    Hey Donna,

I agree with Sue - get it checked out. I know one of the
    questions I get asked by nurses frequently is have I noticed
    any unusual bruising, etc. I think it has to do with blood
    counts (platelets?).

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

Hugs and positive thoughts,

Jim
    DX: DLBL 4/2011, Chemo completed 10/2011, currently in remission. :)
    Members are sharing recipes!:
    Recipe Sharing Project

Update on leg pain
    Sue and Jim and all,

Went to the doctor today-all is well.She thinks some small spider veins burst and caused the swelling and the bruising.No biggie. Thanks for your concern and support as always.

I am relieved. My doctor told me that I absolutely did the right thing coming in- so thanks for your encouragement.

Love,
    Donna
  • allmost60
    onlytoday said:

Update on leg pain
    Sue and Jim and all,

Went to the doctor today-all is well.She thinks some small spider veins burst and caused the swelling and the bruising.No biggie. Thanks for your concern and support as always.

I am relieved. My doctor told me that I absolutely did the right thing coming in- so thanks for your encouragement.

Love,
    Donna

Whew!!
    Thanks for the up-date! Take care...Love, Sue (FNHL-2-3a-6/10)
  • forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    onlytoday said:

Update on leg pain
    Sue and Jim and all,

Love,
    Donna

Great news
    Donna

I am so happy that all is well with your leg. What a relief.

Thinking of you
    Lisha
  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    onlytoday said:

Update on leg pain
    Sue and Jim and all,

Love,
    Donna

awesome news!
    So glad you went, anything minor could be major now......
  • miss maggie
    miss maggie Member Posts: 929
    onlytoday said:

Update on leg pain
    Sue and Jim and all,

Love,
    Donna

Great news
    Dear Donna,

Great news. I am so glad you followed up on your swelling and bruising. One less thing
    to worry about.

Sue and I seem to have the same problem with our hips. My life has changed so much since
    I had the BMB back in Oct 2009. I used to love walking, and leaving the car at home.
    Now when I attempt walking to the store, I can't wait to get back home. At times, no
    most times,it's very depressing for me. My house is located on a very quiet street. Yet, 4
    blocks away, I have access to many stores. Lord and Taylor, Trader Joe, etc. Even my club for
    the summer is located within walking distance. In order to enjoy a walk now, I have to
    take medication to do some walking. Even the medication doesn't last long. I only take
    Tylenol or Aleve. I am so afraid to take something that might make me an addict. LOL
    I have to accept what is, and be thankful for what is now my life.

Sorry, I rambled on. Just feeling sorry for myself. Today is not a good day.

Donna, enjoy the good news. All my love Maggie
  • anliperez915
    anliperez915 Member Posts: 770

Great news
    Dear Donna,

Great news. I am so glad you followed up on your swelling and bruising. One less thing
    to worry about.

Sue and I seem to have the same problem with our hips. My life has changed so much since
    I had the BMB back in Oct 2009. I used to love walking, and leaving the car at home.
    Now when I attempt walking to the store, I can't wait to get back home. At times, no
    most times,it's very depressing for me. My house is located on a very quiet street. Yet, 4
    blocks away, I have access to many stores. Lord and Taylor, Trader Joe, etc. Even my club for
    the summer is located within walking distance. In order to enjoy a walk now, I have to
    take medication to do some walking. Even the medication doesn't last long. I only take
    Tylenol or Aleve. I am so afraid to take something that might make me an addict. LOL

Hi Miss Maggie
    Hi Miss Maggie,
    Sorry that your having a bad day, I've recently had several of those :( I'm really sick right now so everything looks darker, but I know we will get past them and move on, like we always do. This disease took many things that you loved but look at the brighter side you're here alive with your family, smile and enjoy life just at a slower pace :)
    Take care of yourself and I'm sending you a big, warm hug via the internet...

Sincerely,
    Liz
  • allmost60

Great news
    Dear Donna,

to worry about.

Bad day...
    Hi Maggie,
    I'm so sorry your having a bad day...I had a bad night last night. I sat and watched the Iowa Caucuse results and by the time I went to bed,(11:30) my left thigh and hip were cramping something awful. Ended up sleeping on the couch as not to disturb Steve, and finally at 3:00 this morning resorted to taking a hot bath and taking a mild pain pill. Today is my day to watch Lizzy, so needless to say, my butt is draggin. We will spend a lot of time today sitting and reading instead of me crawling around the floor playing hide and seek and our usual "active" games. I hope your day gets better Maggie..mine is already better just having Lizzy here to hug and kiss on. Thinking of you...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • allmost60

Hi Miss Maggie
    Hi Miss Maggie,
    Sorry that your having a bad day, I've recently had several of those :( I'm really sick right now so everything looks darker, but I know we will get past them and move on, like we always do. This disease took many things that you loved but look at the brighter side you're here alive with your family, smile and enjoy life just at a slower pace :)
    Take care of yourself and I'm sending you a big, warm hug via the internet...

Sincerely,
    Liz

Liz...
    Hi Liz,
    Sorry to hear you have had a few bad days and being sick. Thats not the way we want to start our new Year out dang it. Is it your cancer making you sick, or the flu or maybe a cold? Sure hope whatever it is, will ease up in a hurry. I'll keep you in my prayers for a speedy recover. Take care dear...Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • anliperez915
    allmost60 said:

Liz...
    Hi Liz,
    Sorry to hear you have had a few bad days and being sick. Thats not the way we want to start our new Year out dang it. Is it your cancer making you sick, or the flu or maybe a cold? Sure hope whatever it is, will ease up in a hurry. I'll keep you in my prayers for a speedy recover. Take care dear...Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

Hi Sue
    Hi Sue,
    Yeah it really sucks being sick, I got bronchitis on New Year's Eve...but I'm trying my hardest to get better. I too had a long night, I also woke up at 3:30 and had to go to the living room so I wouldn't wake up my hubby with all my coughing. I'm taking some over the counter medications but they don't seem to do much but get me sleepy. And like you I have a 3 yr old I have to take care (not sleep). Thank you Sue for your kind words...

Sincerely,
    Liz
  • anliperez915
    allmost60 said:

Bad day...
    Hi Maggie,
    I'm so sorry your having a bad day...I had a bad night last night. I sat and watched the Iowa Caucuse results and by the time I went to bed,(11:30) my left thigh and hip were cramping something awful. Ended up sleeping on the couch as not to disturb Steve, and finally at 3:00 this morning resorted to taking a hot bath and taking a mild pain pill. Today is my day to watch Lizzy, so needless to say, my butt is draggin. We will spend a lot of time today sitting and reading instead of me crawling around the floor playing hide and seek and our usual "active" games. I hope your day gets better Maggie..mine is already better just having Lizzy here to hug and kiss on. Thinking of you...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

Sorry Sue
    Sorry Sue,
    My brain is half dead, I forgot to ask you how you were doing with your hip pain? Take it easy Sue, and please take care of yourself.

Sincerely,
    Liz
  • allmost60

Sorry Sue
    Sorry Sue,
    My brain is half dead, I forgot to ask you how you were doing with your hip pain? Take it easy Sue, and please take care of yourself.

Sincerely,
    Liz

Better...
    Hi Liz,
    The hip is better, but it doesn't give me much trouble when I'm moving around throughout the day. It starts in at night after diner is over when I get in my chair to watch t.v. or read. Seems like sitting causes it to go numb and then the achey feeling creeps in. Thanks for asking...hope your bronchitis gets better soon! Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    allmost60 said:

Better...
    Hi Liz,
    The hip is better, but it doesn't give me much trouble when I'm moving around throughout the day. It starts in at night after diner is over when I get in my chair to watch t.v. or read. Seems like sitting causes it to go numb and then the achey feeling creeps in. Thanks for asking...hope your bronchitis gets better soon! Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

The Cure
    Sue,
    Well hell thats the cure. Just never sit down and stand on your feet all day and keep moving.That office visit and prescription will cost you $150.LOL. Just joking, my hips give me a fit sometimes too. Doctor John
  • allmost60
    COBRA666 said:

The Cure
    Sue,
    Well hell thats the cure. Just never sit down and stand on your feet all day and keep moving.That office visit and prescription will cost you $150.LOL. Just joking, my hips give me a fit sometimes too. Doctor John

Steve thinks..
    Steve thinks I don't rest enough during the day..(getting off my feet)and thats why at night I ache so much. Who knows...ya know? Thanks Doctor John..."the checks in the mail"..ha!
    Sue
  • miss maggie

Hi Sue
    Hi Sue,
    Yeah it really sucks being sick, I got bronchitis on New Year's Eve...but I'm trying my hardest to get better. I too had a long night, I also woke up at 3:30 and had to go to the living room so I wouldn't wake up my hubby with all my coughing. I'm taking some over the counter medications but they don't seem to do much but get me sleepy. And like you I have a 3 yr old I have to take care (not sleep). Thank you Sue for your kind words...

Sincerely,
    Liz

My Family
    Dear Liz,

Gee whiz. What a way to start the New Year. It's enough to say "enought is enough". Please
    take care of yourself. bronchitis can be very serious. Did you go to the doctor? Maybe
    you need anti-biotics? Do you take Vitamin D3? This vitamin is very important for everyone.
    Especially for us. Please have your doctor check you levels for vitamin D, via blood test.
    The reading should be between 30-50. At least 1000mg a day.

I always hated silence in the room. Therefore, I put on the radio when I go to bed.
    Someone called in asking about their son-in-law who was DX with Follcular NHL, and what
    nutrients he shouldtake.Doctoreplied Vitamin D, Fish Oil, and something called
    E FEE GEE. I have no idea what that is, or how it is spelled. The doctor stated people
    with Lymphoma should take these vitamins.

Liz, Thank you for your kind words. Today, feeling a bit better. I know our lives have changed
    since our DX. But, there are days when you want to do something, and it's hard. That's
    when you remember the way it was. Yes, you are right. I have a wonderful family and friends.
    I just have to remember that.

All my love to you. Love Maggie
  • miss maggie

Hi Sue
    Hi Sue,

Sincerely,
    Liz

My Family
    Dear Liz,

Gee whiz. What a way to start the New Year. It's enough to say "enought is enough". Please
    take care of yourself. bronchitis can be very serious. Did you go to the doctor? Maybe
    you need anti-biotics? Do you take Vitamin D3? This vitamin is very important for everyone.
    Especially for us. Please have your doctor check you levels for vitamin D, via blood test.

I always hated silence in the room. Therefore, I put on the radio when I go to bed.
    Someone called in asking about their son-in-law who was DX with Follcular NHL, and what
    E FEE GEE. I have no idea what that is, or how it is spelled. The doctor stated people

Liz, Thank you for your kind words. Today, feeling a bit better. I know our lives have changed
    since our DX. But, there are days when you want to do something, and it's hard. That's
    when you remember the way it was. Yes, you are right. I have a wonderful family and friends.

• miss maggie
    allmost60 said:

Bad day...
    Hi Maggie,

You too
    Dear Sue,

Sleepless nights are very rough. That happens to me alot also. Maybe you should try
    a hot bath before bed??? What do you think?

I know you cherish your days with Lizzie. There is nothing like a baby to bring us
    back to feeling better and normal. Just like when we had our children, there is no time to feel sorry for ourselves. Nor do we want to. My 3 grandchildren are almost grown now. My daughter wanted to work. Therefore, I took care of each one of them when they were babies.
    and beyond. They are still in my life, and live close by.

Did you read John's post? I treasure his sense of humor. Keep them coming John.

Enjoy and feel better. The years just fly by. Just like when we had our children.

Love Maggie
  • allmost60

You too
    Dear Sue,

Sleepless nights are very rough. That happens to me alot also. Maybe you should try
    a hot bath before bed??? What do you think?

I know you cherish your days with Lizzie. There is nothing like a baby to bring us
    back to feeling better and normal. Just like when we had our children, there is no time to feel sorry for ourselves. Nor do we want to. My 3 grandchildren are almost grown now. My daughter wanted to work. Therefore, I took care of each one of them when they were babies.
    and beyond. They are still in my life, and live close by.

Did you read John's post? I treasure his sense of humor. Keep them coming John.

Enjoy and feel better. The years just fly by. Just like when we had our children.

Love Maggie

Hot bath...
    Oh yes Maggie...I usually shower in the evenings, but when my hip and leg is hurting, or starting to hurt, I always switch and take a warm/hot bath instead. I also use my heating pad which brings a lot of relief. Yes...I also treasure Johns great sense of humor...he's helped all of us immensely and I certainly appreciate everything he brings to our dear group. Have a good day sweet Maggie...I have Lizzy today, so my day will automatically be good!
    Love you...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • anliperez915

My Family
    Dear Liz,

Hi Miss Magie
    Hi Miss Maggie,
    I'm telling it just never ends, I decided to come to the hospital today and they told me I had pneumonia. I'm glad that I came at least I'm getting antibiotics and getting admitted. I'll keep you guys posted, and please take care of yourself.
    Sincerely,
    Liz