New to the world of cancer :(

MsGebby
MsGebby Member Posts: 659
edited October 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi to my newest group of friends. Even though we don't know each other, I feel the bond already. :)
I just saw my oncologist for the first time today. I had a lumpectomy one month ago and was told that I was Stage 2A, clear margins and clear nodes. BUT, the pathology report showed that there were "cancer crumbs" sitting just 1mm from the inside margin of the tumor. Which means that there is a great possibility that the doctor did not get all of it. The lump is 3cm, is invasive to the papillary cells (?) yet non invasive to anywhere other than the breast. HER2 is 1+, Ki-67 is 30% (very high number), ER positive, PR positive ...
The doctor wants to get the Oncotype test even though she says she believes the score will be in the middle somewhere.
Without treatment, my recurrence rate is 36% and will be cut in half with treatment. She told me I will need ALL treatments. Radiation, hormone therapy, more surgery and chemo. I don't know if anyone has had this situation. Do I get surgery first and then chemo? Or vice versa.
I am so sick to my stomach. I thought I was going to hear "you will do radiation and hormone therapy and walk out of here brand new". I am told to keep a positive attitude which has not been a problem until today. I feel so overwhelmed.
Finding this site and this group is making feel I have somewhere to turn to.

God Bless all of you. Cancer sucks!

Comments

• kya911
    kya911 Member Posts: 157
    Sorry you have to be here,
    Sorry you have to be here, but welcome.
    Here is how it went for me.
    Oct 1 2010 lumpectomy
    Didn't get it all
    Oct 29 2010 back in for the rest.
    Chemo & Herceptin
    Rads
    5 year cancer pill.
    Someone will be around soon that is better able to help you.
    Judy
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    kya911 said:

Oct 1 2010 lumpectomy
    Didn't get it all
    Chemo & Herceptin
    Rads
    5 year cancer pill.
    Judy

Welcome MsGebby. Sorry you
    Welcome MsGebby. Sorry you have to be here, but glad you found it. You'll be amazed how much collective knowledge and experience is contained in this group. Wonderful women (and even some men) who will always be here for support and encouragement.

In my case I had IDC, Stage I, Estrogen & Progesterone +. I opted for bilateral mastectomy and had 4 rounds of chemo. I didn't have to have radiation and am done with active treatment since September 2010.

Best of luck as you begin your journey. Welcome to the Boards.

Chickadee
  • MsGebby
    kya911 said:

Oct 1 2010 lumpectomy
    Didn't get it all
    Chemo & Herceptin
    Rads
    5 year cancer pill.
    Judy

Hi Judy .. thank you for
    Hi Judy .. thank you for responding. I do hope you are well. I feel fine. It's the mental part that is getting to me. I've only know I've had cancer since the end of August.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    We have so many different experiences among us.
    Mine was straightforward - IDC, surgery, radiation, Arimidex. I have a coworker who had chemo, lumpectomy, re-excision and is awaiting whether she needs a mastectomy or will be starting chemo again followed by rads.

Cancer does suck and I'm so sorry that you had to find that out personally, however - welcome to our sisterhood.

Sue
  • MsGebby

Welcome MsGebby. Sorry you
    Welcome MsGebby. Sorry you have to be here, but glad you found it. You'll be amazed how much collective knowledge and experience is contained in this group. Wonderful women (and even some men) who will always be here for support and encouragement.

In my case I had IDC, Stage I, Estrogen & Progesterone +. I opted for bilateral mastectomy and had 4 rounds of chemo. I didn't have to have radiation and am done with active treatment since September 2010.

Best of luck as you begin your journey. Welcome to the Boards.

Chickadee

Hi Chickadee .... I am
    Hi Chickadee .... I am fortunate to have found this site. Thank you for your kind words. It's nice to know I am not alone but it at the same time feels so wrong to see all these beautiful people here living with this disease. It is truly disheartening. I talked about a mastectomy but the doctor says that will not keep me cancer free. She is right. I knew that. The scary part is going through all those treatments! My insides shake just typing that. I hope you will never have to go through this again. Bless you!
  • MsGebby
    sbmly53 said:

Mine was straightforward - IDC, surgery, radiation, Arimidex. I have a coworker who had chemo, lumpectomy, re-excision and is awaiting whether she needs a mastectomy or will be starting chemo again followed by rads.

Cancer does suck and I'm so sorry that you had to find that out personally, however - welcome to our sisterhood.

Sue

Thank You Sue :) You are
    Thank You Sue :) You are right...this is not a place I ever thought I'd be. But seeing all the comments others have made on this site makes me smile. AND THAT'S a blessing for me. I cry so much I thought I didn't know how to smile anymore! Once I can wrap my brain around what I just learned I will fight like a mad woman in heat!

If it is alright with you, I will come back when I get more news in 2 weeks.

Be well...
    Mary
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    MsGebby said:

Thank You Sue :) You are
    Thank You Sue :) You are right...this is not a place I ever thought I'd be. But seeing all the comments others have made on this site makes me smile. AND THAT'S a blessing for me. I cry so much I thought I didn't know how to smile anymore! Once I can wrap my brain around what I just learned I will fight like a mad woman in heat!

If it is alright with you, I will come back when I get more news in 2 weeks.

Be well...
    Mary

You can come back before you get all of your info
    It is a great place to express fear, frustration, anger and anxiety. We understand, we will be happy to help you pass the time until you have more info.

Take care, sorry you had to come but glad you found us,

Jennifer
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    sbmly53 said:

Sue

Welcome to our Sisterhood, Miss Gebby ...
    We are women and men of all color, and age groups, brought together by 1 common thread -- breast cancer. We all have 1 common goal --Beat the Beast!!! Breast cancer sucks, it knows no boundaries and surely will turn your life and world upside down.

Prepare for your journey. There will be many twists and turns, ups and downs.

As for this journey, please know that it hasn't all been bad...far from it. You will find many wonderful, caring, uplifting, funny, amazing people along the way. Put your seat belt on, raise your arms up, scream and go!!!!

Research, read, and become your own, best health advocate. Please go out and purchase -- Dr. Susan Love's Breast Cancer book. It's a solid place to start your research.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    VickiSam said:

We are women and men of all color, and age groups, brought together by 1 common thread -- breast cancer. We all have 1 common goal --Beat the Beast!!! Breast cancer sucks, it knows no boundaries and surely will turn your life and world upside down.

As for this journey, please know that it hasn't all been bad...far from it. You will find many wonderful, caring, uplifting, funny, amazing people along the way. Put your seat belt on, raise your arms up, scream and go!!!!

Research, read, and become your own, best health advocate. Please go out and purchase -- Dr. Susan Love's Breast Cancer book. It's a solid place to start your research.

Vicki Sam

AMEN to everything Vicki Sam
    AMEN to everything Vicki Sam said! I can't believe how much this group has helped me directly and how much it helps me to be there for other sisters and brothers who share this journey. We'll be here for you - I promise!

Prayers and Hugs,
    Pam

PS - and if you have to go somewhere, we have an ethereal pink bus to take you and pick us up along the way.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Welcome
    There is a lot of informal education here also. I have told the doctors that I probably would have been on the phone to them about a lot of little things had I not gotten my informal education here. Starting early here is the best way so you don't worry so much.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Welcome
    There is a lot of informal education here also. I have told the doctors that I probably would have been on the phone to them about a lot of little things had I not gotten my informal education here. Starting early here is the best way so you don't worry so much.

as you have read there are
    as you have read there are many variations upon the theme here. We have all had different treatments according to our own particular diagnosis. I also had hoped this time to have surgery and hormone therapy, but it turned out differently. I had it all chemo rads and hormone therapy. You will find a group of feisty caring fighters here, each in our own way and we will help you .
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    sorry we meet here...but
    sorry we meet here...but great group..I MUST say

AT least you did welcome message..I just posted and I think confused people...some how..hehe lol

I did have have chemo...so can't totally relate or give much helpful info...

Denise
  • MsGebby
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

Through all the tears I shed
    Through all the tears I shed yesterday, your comments made me smile. I have my seat belt fastened and am (almost) ready to fight. I say almost because I need one more piece to this puzzle. I have always been the type of person who NEEDS all the cards on the table so I can make an informed decision. 2 more weeks of waiting for the Oncotype test results and I will have what I need.

I feel so guilty for saying "why me?" This is not something that has singled me out, I know. But right now, it sure as sams hell feels like it.

I don't look forward to this journey, but I feel safe here. You and all the sisterhood members are standing right beside me. I can feel it!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Mary
  • MsGebby

sorry we meet here...but
    sorry we meet here...but great group..I MUST say

AT least you did welcome message..I just posted and I think confused people...some how..hehe lol

I did have have chemo...so can't totally relate or give much helpful info...

Denise

Hi Denise
    Just stopping by

Hi Denise

Just stopping by and reaching out is very helpful. Not sure what you just posted and don't understand "I think confused people". Although I am in much despair at the moment, I am a good listener. If I can help I will try.

xoxo
    Mary
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Hi dear sister and welcome!
    Hi dear sister and welcome! Sorry you too have to go through this, but we're here to support you and help you with anything you need. I am so glad I found this place, so happy. The women (and men) are great.

I'm 33, dx at 32 this year. I had a lumpectomy with re-excision, chemo (AC/T) and radiation. Done with those, but currently taking tamoxifen.

I know some women have opted to have chemo first, but this is usually to shrink their tumors so they can preserve their breast. If you have a little margin, you may want to consider a re-excision, which is what I did. I think your Doctor should explain the report to you and give you the options to consider. Based on size of tumor, tumor grade, family history, gene testing, etc..you may be able to make a better decision on your treatment.

I want to wish you the best of luck and I pray God enlightens you to make the right call. Whatever you decide, we'll be here to answer any questions.

Hugs
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    MsGebby said:

Through all the tears I shed
    Through all the tears I shed yesterday, your comments made me smile. I have my seat belt fastened and am (almost) ready to fight. I say almost because I need one more piece to this puzzle. I have always been the type of person who NEEDS all the cards on the table so I can make an informed decision. 2 more weeks of waiting for the Oncotype test results and I will have what I need.

I feel so guilty for saying "why me?" This is not something that has singled me out, I know. But right now, it sure as sams hell feels like it.

I don't look forward to this journey, but I feel safe here. You and all the sisterhood members are standing right beside me. I can feel it!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Mary

Cards on the Table
    I, too, need all the cards on the table -- but I have found that with breast cancer, it doesn't always help. There are things you just won't know, and people you will just have to trust, after learning all you can and asking a thousand questions. And breast cancer is simply unpredictable. After my first diagnosis, Oncotype DX told me I had a 4% chance of recurrence. I completed my treatment and put it behind me. Six years later, a new diagnosis -- not a recurrence, a completely different tumor. Or, more precisely, thirteen completely different tumors. That's how many there were, and why didn't I know about them until there were 13? Because they were the same density as my breast and didn't show up on mammograms. Don't be blown away by a percentage, even if it's high. Think of a box containing 100 marbles, some red, some blue. The number of red marbles is your chance of recurrence. Now close your eyes and pick a marble. Don't look at it. Whatever color you have, you have. The percentage no longer matters. Do what you can (your doctors will tell you what) to give yourself the best chance of beating it back, deal with the daily drain on your physical and mental energy, and plow ahead.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

Hi dear sister and welcome!
    Hi dear sister and welcome! Sorry you too have to go through this, but we're here to support you and help you with anything you need. I am so glad I found this place, so happy. The women (and men) are great.

I'm 33, dx at 32 this year. I had a lumpectomy with re-excision, chemo (AC/T) and radiation. Done with those, but currently taking tamoxifen.

I know some women have opted to have chemo first, but this is usually to shrink their tumors so they can preserve their breast. If you have a little margin, you may want to consider a re-excision, which is what I did. I think your Doctor should explain the report to you and give you the options to consider. Based on size of tumor, tumor grade, family history, gene testing, etc..you may be able to make a better decision on your treatment.

I want to wish you the best of luck and I pray God enlightens you to make the right call. Whatever you decide, we'll be here to answer any questions.

Hugs

So sorry you have to be here Mary, but
    this place has been a Godsend for me. I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in Nov. '09, had lumpectomy in December '09 and then re-excision for clean margins as well as a complete axillary dissection at that time with insertion of a port. I was diagnosed with Stage 3C IDC with 10 out of 23 positive nodes. Needless to say, just hearing that I had cancer knocked me for a loop and then to keep finding out more and more bad things put me in a tailspin. Once I got over the shock, cried a million tears and had many, many sleepless nights, I decided to fight this thing for all I was worth.

I had 6 rounds of chemo (taxotere, adriamycin, cytoxin)given every 3 weeks. After that I had 33 rads. My chemo finished in May of '10 and rads finished in Sept. of '10. I now have mammo, ultrasound and MRI every 4 months and so far, so good.

I have learned so much over the past 2 years and have gotten through things I NEVER thought I could. You won't believe how much stronger you are than you give yourself credit for. For me, chemo was not easy but definitely doable and not nearly as bad as I had built up in my mind. Rads were even easier for me.

All in all my best advice is--try to stay strong and positive, if you have a bad day, go with it and then pick yourself off and start again. Take one day at a time--do not think about the whole year ahead of you.

Take all the help that is offered--people really want to help. Let them.

Rest as much as you can and try to keep hydrated and keep up with good nutrition.

Mary, many of us have been where you are. You can do this and you will. Check back with us often whether it's to cry, rant, rave, get some good advice or just talk. We all understand and we all care.

Hugs, Renee
  • MsGebby
    missrenee said:

So sorry you have to be here Mary, but
    this place has been a Godsend for me. I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in Nov. '09, had lumpectomy in December '09 and then re-excision for clean margins as well as a complete axillary dissection at that time with insertion of a port. I was diagnosed with Stage 3C IDC with 10 out of 23 positive nodes. Needless to say, just hearing that I had cancer knocked me for a loop and then to keep finding out more and more bad things put me in a tailspin. Once I got over the shock, cried a million tears and had many, many sleepless nights, I decided to fight this thing for all I was worth.

I had 6 rounds of chemo (taxotere, adriamycin, cytoxin)given every 3 weeks. After that I had 33 rads. My chemo finished in May of '10 and rads finished in Sept. of '10. I now have mammo, ultrasound and MRI every 4 months and so far, so good.

I have learned so much over the past 2 years and have gotten through things I NEVER thought I could. You won't believe how much stronger you are than you give yourself credit for. For me, chemo was not easy but definitely doable and not nearly as bad as I had built up in my mind. Rads were even easier for me.

All in all my best advice is--try to stay strong and positive, if you have a bad day, go with it and then pick yourself off and start again. Take one day at a time--do not think about the whole year ahead of you.

Take all the help that is offered--people really want to help. Let them.

Rest as much as you can and try to keep hydrated and keep up with good nutrition.

Mary, many of us have been where you are. You can do this and you will. Check back with us often whether it's to cry, rant, rave, get some good advice or just talk. We all understand and we all care.

Hugs, Renee

It's funny. So many friends
    It's funny. So many friends and family call me a fighter ... a survivor ... "YOU can do this" they say. And I know I can and will do this. But sometimes, I just want to stop fighting! No sooner do I get back on the horse, I get thrown off again. I've had 2 surgeries in 3 months, I need more surgery to my neck and now my breast. I am in constant pain and have numbness in both arms and legs. Now cancer!!! I won't give up but I can honestly say I am tired. AND I know that once chemo starts being tired will have a whole new meaning. I am sorry. I am complaining but I think I have reached a breaking point. Your words mean a lot to me. I am going to pick myself up (again) as soon as the shock wears off.

Bless you for being such an inspiration.

xoxo
    Mary
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    MsGebby said:

Hi Judy .. thank you for
    Hi Judy .. thank you for responding. I do hope you are well. I feel fine. It's the mental part that is getting to me. I've only know I've had cancer since the end of August.

You are never alone, you've
    You are never alone, you've got all of your pink sisters!

Hugs, Angie
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

Hi Mary! I want to welcome
    Hi Mary! I want to welcome you as the other pink sisters have and let you know that this is your safe place to come to if you need to vent, cry or just get support and help.

Hugs and prayers to you,

Lex