~~ How Has Having BC Affected Your Life, If You Would Like To Share It With Your Pink Sisters ~~

2»

Comments

• zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    After 25 years
    I am a 25 year BC survivor. I was first dx at age 38 with two young children. I was dx twice more over the next 10 years. I am now 63, in reasonably good health, and living life as much as possible as if I had never heard the dreaded 'C' word, in spite of the after-effects of 15 years of constant cancer treatment or post-cancer treatment.
    I have learned many of the same lessons mentioned in this thread by many of you. But the one thing that has changed my outlook on life is the realization that, no matter what is going on today, it can change tomorrow, and it can change for the BETTER.
    There was a time for many years when I thought that what cancer had done to me (and my marriage...which did not survive) would never permit me to live in a good place again. I was wrong.
    Today I am with a man who loves me in spite of my 'breastless' state and we are sharing and enjoying our 'golden years' in a simple, gentle life style that is full of blessings enough to make us thankful and challenges enough to keep us strengthened.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but rather by the moments that take your breath away.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    zahalene said:

After 25 years
    I am a 25 year BC survivor. I was first dx at age 38 with two young children. I was dx twice more over the next 10 years. I am now 63, in reasonably good health, and living life as much as possible as if I had never heard the dreaded 'C' word, in spite of the after-effects of 15 years of constant cancer treatment or post-cancer treatment.
    I have learned many of the same lessons mentioned in this thread by many of you. But the one thing that has changed my outlook on life is the realization that, no matter what is going on today, it can change tomorrow, and it can change for the BETTER.
    There was a time for many years when I thought that what cancer had done to me (and my marriage...which did not survive) would never permit me to live in a good place again. I was wrong.
    Today I am with a man who loves me in spite of my 'breastless' state and we are sharing and enjoying our 'golden years' in a simple, gentle life style that is full of blessings enough to make us thankful and challenges enough to keep us strengthened.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but rather by the moments that take your breath away.

You give all of us a lot of
    You give all of us a lot of hope Zahalene. 25 years is amazing!

Hugs, Jan
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    zahalene said:

After 25 years

I have that saying on my
    I have that saying on my wall around a frame of me and my grandchildren, Zahalene. I love that!
    I agree with Carkris that I have less patience for nonsense and that's a good thing.
    I also have much more strength than I ever knew. The love of my family of course has been incredible.
    I have learned ( to steal from Smalldoggroomer ) :) that you can love people that you've never met. All my Pink Sisters!
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    learned
    The fire (of cancer) shows the gems in your life and the plastic people. I will no longer work 2 jobs either. I live in America, not an under developed nation, and if one job is not enough, then someone will have to wait for ther money. I refuse to go bonkers like that again so that other people can be happy. It's my turn now.