~~ How Has Having BC Affected Your Life, If You Would Like To Share It With Your Pink Sisters ~~

Options
susie09
susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
edited September 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
I know that having breast cancer affects all of our lives, some in good ways and some in bad ways.

Would you like to share some part of how it has affected your life?


Thanks!


♠♣ Love, Susie ♠♣
«1

Comments

  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Great post Susie!
    I think the most important thing that I have learned in my bc journey is how loved I was by my hubby, friends and co workers. I mean, I knew they loved me, but, they really stepped up to the plate and helped me more than I can ever even thank them.

    So, out of something bad, came a lot of good.


    Hugs, Jan
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    I have learned..
    How humbling and awe-inspiring it is to know that you are on prayer lists all over the country. There is no way to pay back all of the care and prayer sent by so many fantastic friends and relatives, the best I can do is pray for the next person in need. I always used to pray for people, now it means so much more to me.

    Jennifer
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    grams2jc said:

    I have learned..
    How humbling and awe-inspiring it is to know that you are on prayer lists all over the country. There is no way to pay back all of the care and prayer sent by so many fantastic friends and relatives, the best I can do is pray for the next person in need. I always used to pray for people, now it means so much more to me.

    Jennifer

    I also forgot to post how
    I also forgot to post how strong I found myself to be. I can of amazed myself how I got thru the diagnosis, surgery and rads without whimpering. LOL

    I guess we can do whatever we have to do when we need to.


    Jan
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options

    I also forgot to post how
    I also forgot to post how strong I found myself to be. I can of amazed myself how I got thru the diagnosis, surgery and rads without whimpering. LOL

    I guess we can do whatever we have to do when we need to.


    Jan

    Even though
    I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone, but I have learned a lot about myself since being diagnosed. I am much stronger than I ever thought possible. I've learned to let small things pass and to appreciate so much more in life than before. I've been blessed by amazing friends and family. A friend put me on her church prayer list and they sent me a chemo bag full of goodies. I've also been blessed by having the honor to have each and everyone of you in my life.

    I truly believe everything happens for a reason, even if we have no idea what that reason may be. I also believe that God doesn't give us anything we can't handle.

    Hugs,
    Debi
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    debi.18 said:

    Even though
    I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone, but I have learned a lot about myself since being diagnosed. I am much stronger than I ever thought possible. I've learned to let small things pass and to appreciate so much more in life than before. I've been blessed by amazing friends and family. A friend put me on her church prayer list and they sent me a chemo bag full of goodies. I've also been blessed by having the honor to have each and everyone of you in my life.

    I truly believe everything happens for a reason, even if we have no idea what that reason may be. I also believe that God doesn't give us anything we can't handle.

    Hugs,
    Debi

    Well I am no Pollyanna so i
    Well I am no Pollyanna so i can say that it has really sucked, it has been very difficult on every level. However it has taught me to keep my priorities in line, to tell people I love and appreciate them and to want to make sure that my energy is positive in this world. It forces you to understand to not sweat the small stuff. I have less patience with nonsense, and that is good. I also live in the moment and really appreciate all the small things. I was also such a perfectionist, now I understand that nothing is absolute, the is good and bad in everyone including myself. i am sorry I had to meet you all but glad we have each other and that I know such lovely people.
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else, BC has brought both ups and downs.
    Having BC has shown me how amazing people can be, even if they are not part of your everyday life.
    The way BC affects my life is different. Now, I need to worry about my daughters and my sister and my niece and my grand daughters. So far it has hit 3 generations. My goal is to have that be the end of it.


    Cindy
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    Options
    mamolady said:

    Like everyone else, BC has brought both ups and downs.
    Having BC has shown me how amazing people can be, even if they are not part of your everyday life.
    The way BC affects my life is different. Now, I need to worry about my daughters and my sister and my niece and my grand daughters. So far it has hit 3 generations. My goal is to have that be the end of it.


    Cindy

    i truly realized what love means
    my husband, sister and best friend has really show me what love is...bald and all...lol...
    also, i always knew God but going through this journey he really showed me the strength and faith that i needed...he is an awesome God...


    Eva
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

    Great post Susie!
    I think the most important thing that I have learned in my bc journey is how loved I was by my hubby, friends and co workers. I mean, I knew they loved me, but, they really stepped up to the plate and helped me more than I can ever even thank them.

    So, out of something bad, came a lot of good.


    Hugs, Jan

    I would say that a lot of
    I would say that a lot of GOOD came out of it Jan. I think a lot of us don't know how loved we are until it is tested. Don't you?
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    grams2jc said:

    I have learned..
    How humbling and awe-inspiring it is to know that you are on prayer lists all over the country. There is no way to pay back all of the care and prayer sent by so many fantastic friends and relatives, the best I can do is pray for the next person in need. I always used to pray for people, now it means so much more to me.

    Jennifer

    Jennifer, I have always put
    Jennifer, I have always put my pink sisters on our prayer list at church. And, I truly believe that prayers work and carry more strength than we even realize.

    It is a humbling experience, for sure.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    mamolady said:

    Like everyone else, BC has brought both ups and downs.
    Having BC has shown me how amazing people can be, even if they are not part of your everyday life.
    The way BC affects my life is different. Now, I need to worry about my daughters and my sister and my niece and my grand daughters. So far it has hit 3 generations. My goal is to have that be the end of it.


    Cindy

    I am sorry Cindy that
    I am sorry Cindy that because you had bc that you now must worry about your daughters, your sister, your niece and your grand daughters. That is something that weights heavily on all of our minds.


    I just pray that someday and someday soon, there will be a cure for cancer, all cancers, or at least a better way to treat it than we have now.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    debi.18 said:

    Even though
    I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone, but I have learned a lot about myself since being diagnosed. I am much stronger than I ever thought possible. I've learned to let small things pass and to appreciate so much more in life than before. I've been blessed by amazing friends and family. A friend put me on her church prayer list and they sent me a chemo bag full of goodies. I've also been blessed by having the honor to have each and everyone of you in my life.

    I truly believe everything happens for a reason, even if we have no idea what that reason may be. I also believe that God doesn't give us anything we can't handle.

    Hugs,
    Debi

    Debi, I also believe that
    Debi, I also believe that everything, even what we consider bad, happens for a reason to. I also think that we may never know that reason, even though I know we all wish we could.

    It sounds like you are blessed with good friends and family which you so deserve!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    epark said:

    i truly realized what love means
    my husband, sister and best friend has really show me what love is...bald and all...lol...
    also, i always knew God but going through this journey he really showed me the strength and faith that i needed...he is an awesome God...


    Eva

    Lymphedema is not fun
    Yes, I have learned a lot, for sure about oncology, myself and family and friends, meaning of live. I have learned to be happy without breast, eye lashes, and manage lymphedema. So lymphedema has been affecting my life every day and it is not fun.
    Cheers
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

    Lymphedema is not fun
    Yes, I have learned a lot, for sure about oncology, myself and family and friends, meaning of live. I have learned to be happy without breast, eye lashes, and manage lymphedema. So lymphedema has been affecting my life every day and it is not fun.
    Cheers

    New Flower, I am so sorry to
    New Flower, I am so sorry to read that you are having problems with lymphedema. I apologize that I didn't know this. I hope you are seeing a specialist and/or a physical therapist for it and that it will get better for you.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    susie09 said:

    Debi, I also believe that
    Debi, I also believe that everything, even what we consider bad, happens for a reason to. I also think that we may never know that reason, even though I know we all wish we could.

    It sounds like you are blessed with good friends and family which you so deserve!

    I wouldn't mind sharing how
    I wouldn't mind sharing how I feel Susie. I never in a million years thought I would get bc, but, I did. When I first heard those words, I fell to the floor sobbing. But somehow, with the love and support from my hubby and friends, I found the strength to go thru all that I did and to come out feeling empowered.

    I don't think anyone else can ever understand this unless they have walked in our shoes, do you?


    Hugs, Lex
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    susie09 said:

    I am sorry Cindy that
    I am sorry Cindy that because you had bc that you now must worry about your daughters, your sister, your niece and your grand daughters. That is something that weights heavily on all of our minds.


    I just pray that someday and someday soon, there will be a cure for cancer, all cancers, or at least a better way to treat it than we have now.

    Learned a lot!
    One fo the first things I learned was how loved I am by so many. My belief in the power of prayer was validated as prayers were lifted up around the country. I always knew I was strong, I come from a line of strong women, but it hit me how strong I can be. I'm working on learning patience. And on being selfish sometimes - taking care of myself and doinhg what I need to do. That was the advice of my GP, and it's been hard but I'm getting there. I don't know why I was given this path but there has to be a reason. I''m looking at it as a learning experience that I can share with others and try to ease the journey. I hope, like all of you, that there will soon be a real cure and a preventive vaccine!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    skipper54 said:

    Learned a lot!
    One fo the first things I learned was how loved I am by so many. My belief in the power of prayer was validated as prayers were lifted up around the country. I always knew I was strong, I come from a line of strong women, but it hit me how strong I can be. I'm working on learning patience. And on being selfish sometimes - taking care of myself and doinhg what I need to do. That was the advice of my GP, and it's been hard but I'm getting there. I don't know why I was given this path but there has to be a reason. I''m looking at it as a learning experience that I can share with others and try to ease the journey. I hope, like all of you, that there will soon be a real cure and a preventive vaccine!

    Isn't it amazing Skipper how
    Isn't it amazing Skipper how during this, we found out how loved we are? I also believe strongly in prayer and I know that is a lot of what got me thru this.


    Thanks!
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Let's get the bad out of the
    Let's get the bad out of the way first:

    This is my list of what sucks:

    Chemo, and all the side effects that accompany it!
    Losing mobility.
    Not being able to put on your own socks and shoes.
    Not being able to take a soaking bath, because you cant get out of the tub.
    Friends and family treating you differently, or avoiding you because they don't know what to say.
    Falling.
    Knowing your time is limited.

    What is good:

    Being able to love family and friends.
    Being loved by family and friends.
    My children.
    Learning how loving and willing to help even strangers can be.
    Blue sky's and sunshine.
    Being given this time to let my family and friends know how much I love them.
    Prioritizing aspects of my life.
    The ocean and the mountains!
    Pie. My dogs. Books. Laughter and Music.

    Amazing. That no matter what, the good still outweighs the bad!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    epark said:

    i truly realized what love means
    my husband, sister and best friend has really show me what love is...bald and all...lol...
    also, i always knew God but going through this journey he really showed me the strength and faith that i needed...he is an awesome God...


    Eva

    Strength and love! That is
    Strength and love! That is what I have taken away from my diagnosis of bc. I became stronger as a person, a Christian and a wife and friend, and, realized how loved I was and how important I was to so many people.


    Love this post Susie!


    Hugs, Kylez
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    epark said:

    i truly realized what love means
    my husband, sister and best friend has really show me what love is...bald and all...lol...
    also, i always knew God but going through this journey he really showed me the strength and faith that i needed...he is an awesome God...


    Eva

    I fell in love with my
    I fell in love with my husband even more. He was my rock, my support, my everything thru this.


    Hugs, Diane
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    epark said:

    i truly realized what love means
    my husband, sister and best friend has really show me what love is...bald and all...lol...
    also, i always knew God but going through this journey he really showed me the strength and faith that i needed...he is an awesome God...


    Eva

    I fell in love with my
    I fell in love with my husband even more. He was my rock, my support, my everything thru this.


    Hugs, Diane