4 Join us Walking, Swimming, Cycling, Weights, Paddling, Jogging and get SURVIVAL BOOST

pete43lost_at_sea
pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
edited August 2011 in Colorectal Cancer #1
*** GET MEDICAL OK AND ONGOING SUPPORT BEFORE STARTING ANY EXERCISE PROGRAM, I did ***
*** DO YOUR STRETCHES BEFORE AND AFTER ALL WALKING, other exercises do relevant ****
*** AT THE END OF THIS POST IS A SUMMARY OF OTHER POST THAT MAYBE OF INTEREST ****

Join us Walking, Swimming, Cycling, Weights, Paddling, Jogging and get SURVIVAL BOOST
post 1 had 147 posts.
post 2 had 112 posts,
post 3 had 87 posts

This post started out as walking, but we are an open minded bunch and now we have many exercise types listed in the title. Just move if you can.

We also have the unique 100,000km 30 year clinical trial being run here. will anyone make this target, dare is say even earlier than 30 years. It would be just so amazing. Obviously we will all have to live that long to get an invite to the party.

In Sydney Australia, sylvania to sutherland. Bottle and all.
This is the walking post. I am walking to the naturopath right now.
I feel fine, with energy just bad diarrhea. Its good having a bag, I don't have to find a tree anymore. haha

If you have some energy and are well come for a walk with me today. A walk around the world if you will for 10 minutes to 5 hours whatever you can manage. going to do this everyday.

I used to hear " an apple a day keeps the doctor away "

Now I say to myself " a walk a day keeps the monster away"

search on exercise colorectal and recurrance, for details.

come on couch potatoes up and addem and move.

love to all,

Pete

ps I am out the door right now.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/prevention/physicalactivity
1. What is the relationship between physical activity and colon cancer risk?
Colorectal cancer has been one of the most extensively studied cancers in relation to physical activity, with more than 50 studies examining this association. Many studies in the United States and around the world have consistently found that adults who increase their physical activity, either in intensity, duration, or frequency, can reduce their risk of developing colon cancer by 30 to 40 percent relative to those who are sedentary regardless of body mass index (BMI), with the greatest risk reduction seen among those who are most active (3–7). The magnitude of the protective effect appears greatest with high-intensity activity, although the optimal levels and duration of exercise are still difficult to determine due to differences between studies, making comparisons difficult. It is estimated that 30 to 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity per day is needed to protect against colon cancer (6, 7). It is not yet clear at this time whether physical activity has a protective effect for rectal cancer, adenomas, or polyp recurrence (3).
Physical activity most likely influences the development of colon cancer in multiple ways. Physical activity may protect against colon cancer and tumor development through its role in energy balance, hormone metabolism, insulin regulation, and by decreasing the time the colon is exposed to potential carcinogens. Physical activity has also been found to alter a number of inflammatory and immune factors, some of which may influence colon cancer risk.

SUMMARY OF RELEVANT AND SUPPORTING POSTS
http://csn.cancer.org/node/224511 About benefits of walking for recently diagnosed ???
http://csn.cancer.org/node/224351 Exercise Discussion and Sharing Information with Your Medical Team
http://csn.cancer.org/node/224056 UPDATED "put up or shut up" I have made the core argument clearer I hope SUGAR
http://csn.cancer.org/node/223615 good news on crc prevention for our families and friends
http://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-08/vdio-ctv081611.php# new research vitamin D

Comments

• pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Thank you mate for opening thread number 4!
    I'm going to walk right now! this week end thinking to start swimming in swimming pool half an hour a day ( sea has been not too good this year)!.
    Let's go post my mates!.
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn said:

Thank you mate for opening thread number 4!
    I'm going to walk right now! this week end thinking to start swimming in swimming pool half an hour a day ( sea has been not too good this year)!.
    Let's go post my mates!.

BtW I love your previous post ( thread3) good luck on the matter
    and let us know any new! Hahahahahaha!.
    Good luck again!
  • thingy45
    thingy45 Member Posts: 632 Member
    pepebcn said:

BtW I love your previous post ( thread3) good luck on the matter
    and let us know any new! Hahahahahaha!.
    Good luck again!

On my way out the door for
    On my way out the door for my CEA test, walking ofcourse. Beautiful weather right now in Edmonton Canada. Walking also saves on gaz for the car. It also releases gas in the colon LOL. Treadmill has to wait for a rainy day, indoor swimming pool can wait too. Wish I had a ocean close by, I used to swim in the North Sea in Holland.
    Walk out and smell the roses I say.
    Hugs Marjan
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    thingy45 said:

On my way out the door for my CEA test, walking ofcourse. Beautiful weather right now in Edmonton Canada. Walking also saves on gaz for the car. It also releases gas in the colon LOL. Treadmill has to wait for a rainy day, indoor swimming pool can wait too. Wish I had a ocean close by, I used to swim in the North Sea in Holland.
    Hugs Marjan

goodluck marjan
    dear marjan,

goodluck with cea, enjoy your walk.
    i am off for a walk.

got to get to under 100kgs within 2 weeks is my goal.

so i goto loose 2-3 kg in two weeks. if we exercise every second day it raises our heart rate and metabolism. apparently the metabolism stays elevated for a few days.

hugs,
    pete
  • pepebcn
    thingy45 said:

Hugs Marjan

Marjan! I could not do it in the north sea! hahaha!
    Even the med is too cold this year to me!. So swimming pool!, hahaha!.
    Take care my friend and good luck!
  • pete43lost_at_sea

goodluck marjan
    dear marjan,

goodluck with cea, enjoy your walk.
    i am off for a walk.

got to get to under 100kgs within 2 weeks is my goal.

so i goto loose 2-3 kg in two weeks. if we exercise every second day it raises our heart rate and metabolism. apparently the metabolism stays elevated for a few days.

hugs,
    pete

got an hours walk and talk in with friend
    lovelly to walk in the morning.
    come colorectal world, get moving!!!!
    chemo and surgery can only do so much

hugs,
    pete

ps thanks pepe we are on the same wavelength.
  • pepebcn

got an hours walk and talk in with friend
    lovelly to walk in the morning.
    come colorectal world, get moving!!!!
    chemo and surgery can only do so much

hugs,
    pete

ps thanks pepe we are on the same wavelength.

Walking tonight on the beach front Bvd. it's about 3 km each
    way!.
    What happens to you our american friends don't like moving? LOL.
    Moving is health ,so let's do it!
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pepebcn said:

Walking tonight on the beach front Bvd. it's about 3 km each
    way!.
    What happens to you our american friends don't like moving? LOL.
    Moving is health ,so let's do it!

that sounds great pepe,
    i did a big afternoons cleaning houses, bending walking scrubbing.
    really tired tonight. still makes some money and keeps me fit.

i hope we get some american company.
    hugs,
    pete
  • pepebcn

that sounds great pepe,
    i did a big afternoons cleaning houses, bending walking scrubbing.
    really tired tonight. still makes some money and keeps me fit.

i hope we get some american company.
    hugs,
    pete

Did 5 pools swimming today ! first time in 2 years!
    Really exhausting ! afterwards had a 3 hours nap!.
    Hugs!
  • yoga
    yoga Member Posts: 87
    pepebcn said:

Did 5 pools swimming today ! first time in 2 years!
    Really exhausting ! afterwards had a 3 hours nap!.
    Hugs!

Busy Day!
    My day was full of great activities! I spent 3.5 hours gardening this afternoon. This evening I did one hour on the treadmill (5.4km) and pumped away with 3lb weights for the first 35min. (It helps to have a good movie on when I do this!) It has taken me a while to build up to this kind of activity (although, it used to be my norm) . . . . . but everything I have read says that being active is important in this battle so I hope to be able to add lots to this physical activity post. :)
    BTW: I am Canadian!
  • pepebcn
    yoga said:

Busy Day!
    My day was full of great activities! I spent 3.5 hours gardening this afternoon. This evening I did one hour on the treadmill (5.4km) and pumped away with 3lb weights for the first 35min. (It helps to have a good movie on when I do this!) It has taken me a while to build up to this kind of activity (although, it used to be my norm) . . . . . but everything I have read says that being active is important in this battle so I hope to be able to add lots to this physical activity post. :)

Good activity yoga!.
    Hop you got a wonderful weekend!.
    Hugs!
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    yoga said:

Busy Day!

welcome aboard yoga
    great name, its on my to do list yoga that is.

so we still have a few spaces for americans, anyway the rest of the world team is off to a good start.
    thats me, pepe and yoga.

welcome, sorry you got crc. now lets stay active and set a good example.

hugs,
    pete
  • northernlites
    northernlites Member Posts: 96

welcome aboard yoga
    great name, its on my to do list yoga that is.

so we still have a few spaces for americans, anyway the rest of the world team is off to a good start.
    thats me, pepe and yoga.

welcome, sorry you got crc. now lets stay active and set a good example.

hugs,
    pete

Hi Pete,
    I walked a mile

Hi Pete,
    I walked a mile today, not all at once.... I am 4 weeks out from my surgery and I still have no energy... mainly because I can't keep any nutrients in me long enough to make me feel better. I could not have done the walk wihout my sweet husband holding me up every step of the way! But I will say it did make a difference.... I just wonder how long before I will feel like a human again...

Tessa
  • pete43lost_at_sea

Hi Pete,
    I walked a mile

Hi Pete,
    I walked a mile today, not all at once.... I am 4 weeks out from my surgery and I still have no energy... mainly because I can't keep any nutrients in me long enough to make me feel better. I could not have done the walk wihout my sweet husband holding me up every step of the way! But I will say it did make a difference.... I just wonder how long before I will feel like a human again...

Tessa

dear tessa, just don't over do it
    thats what i was told, and still follow. our bodies need energy to heal.
    well done, i walked my dogs this morning. its a lovelly sunny winters day here.

hope you heal fast and have more energy, getting nutriction is hard when our gut is traumatised from surgery.

goodluck,

hugs,
    pete
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member

dear tessa, just don't over do it
    thats what i was told, and still follow. our bodies need energy to heal.
    well done, i walked my dogs this morning. its a lovelly sunny winters day here.

hope you heal fast and have more energy, getting nutriction is hard when our gut is traumatised from surgery.

goodluck,

hugs,
    pete

here's another arrow for your quiver, Pete::
    medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232406.php

Exercise Benefits Cancer Survivors,New Report
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    coloCan said:

here's another arrow for your quiver, Pete::
    medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232406.php

Exercise Benefits Cancer Survivors,New Report

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Steve,

You made my night. I had been loosing a bit of faith in my campaign.

not lucky with wife tonight, but lucky here instead.

From the REPORT
    For bowel cancer patients, doing significant amounts of physical activity can cut the the risk of recurrence and dying from the disease by as much as 50%.

I walked my dogs for about an hour today, while chatting with a local friend whose wife has stage 3 crc as well. crc is everywhere.

Come on everyone, join the walking post, lets beat it together.
    Watch TV and die is how I think, its like icecream. I cannot turn the TV off, so I don't turn it on. Same with icecream, if I don't buy it, I don't sneak a spoon at midnight. Even though the kids hate me.

Lets just walk around the world together.

hugs,
    pete

PS if at first you don't succeed, try try try try try try try again.
    This applies to the walking post and its success, and I think equally to our ultimate
    survival. In my honest opinion only.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    walked dogs to gym, 40 min on incline, walk home
    dear exercisers.

to save my life i do 4 x 40min a week of vigortous walking.

only 6km/hour 15degree incline for 40minutes on treadmill is about 7.5 mets

4 times per week is 30 mets, the threshold is 27 mets from memory.

i asked the manager at fitness first for a complimentary personal trainer today and am considering signing up for a course in becoming a personal trainer.

i have to get into strength work using weights.

just got down to 100kg at last.

time to celebrate, lets have a party, i'll have a carrot!

hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea

walked dogs to gym, 40 min on incline, walk home
    dear exercisers.

to save my life i do 4 x 40min a week of vigortous walking.

only 6km/hour 15degree incline for 40minutes on treadmill is about 7.5 mets

4 times per week is 30 mets, the threshold is 27 mets from memory.

i asked the manager at fitness first for a complimentary personal trainer today and am considering signing up for a course in becoming a personal trainer.

i have to get into strength work using weights.

just got down to 100kg at last.

time to celebrate, lets have a party, i'll have a carrot!

hugs,
    pete

how you going pepe ?
    hope you are ok
  • pepebcn

how you going pepe ?
    hope you are ok

I'm fairly well Pete! , done big walk today, shopping with wife
    good for my health bad for my pocket ! hahahaha!
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    pepebcn said:

I'm fairly well Pete! , done big walk today, shopping with wife
    good for my health bad for my pocket ! hahahaha!

Yes, sir!
    I walk all day at work, up and down stairs, my bell is flatter, the swelling is down. My legs down rub against each other. My flabby arms are getting firmer. My pants are getting loose. I'm smiling more.

What more can I say....

Hugs!