Let's water some seeds of joy

Comments

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    TraciInLA said:

What a lovely story, Heather
    You SHOULD feel good -- what a lovely thing to do for those women. So glad you shared it with us.

Traci

Some great joyful stories.
    Thanks Traci for starting this thread.
    Suzanne
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Arriving safely in my 'other' home....
    And feeling like I can just sit down and start living (and Dutch is flowing from me with very little trouble)! Nothing to arrange, all is good!!!

GREAT post Traci!

Hugs, Kathi
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Thanks Traci for this great thread (;
    I had a nice big smile on my face when I got to my new oncologist yesterday
    and found the only way to park is valet. They were parking the cars for the
    women with no hair and the older people no question asked. Then I drive
    up and I am told parking garage on the next block, and I stuttered but, but
    I have an appointment. The young guys looked at me in shock! And I had to
    laugh, I guess I didn't look sick enough. What a compliment (:
    I told them, next time I'll wear a hat and they laughed.

I find so much joy every day in every little thing. Coming from the desert,
    everything seems so alive and lush. It really doesn't take much to make me
    smile. as a matter of fact, I can't wipe that stupid grin off my face... LOL.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    aysemari said:

Thanks Traci for this great thread (;
    I had a nice big smile on my face when I got to my new oncologist yesterday
    and found the only way to park is valet. They were parking the cars for the
    women with no hair and the older people no question asked. Then I drive
    up and I am told parking garage on the next block, and I stuttered but, but
    I have an appointment. The young guys looked at me in shock! And I had to
    laugh, I guess I didn't look sick enough. What a compliment (:
    I told them, next time I'll wear a hat and they laughed.

I find so much joy every day in every little thing. Coming from the desert,
    everything seems so alive and lush. It really doesn't take much to make me
    smile. as a matter of fact, I can't wipe that stupid grin off my face... LOL.

Hugs,
    Ayse

Heather...
    Your post brought tears to my eyes! I love you for your spirit, your generous heart and compassion for others. YOU give me joy!

Love,

BBB
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    pattimc said:

Heather...
    Your post brought tears to my eyes! I love you for your spirit, your generous heart and compassion for others. YOU give me joy!

Love,

BBB

I love this topic, Traci, and all the wonderful posts
    Today is my weekly cancer support group meeting at the Wellness Community. I am bringing in two wigs, a wig stand, and wig wash to donate to them for someone in need. I never even wore one and the other I wore maybe 3 times. I hope they make someone feel a little bit better, even when they might feel crappy.

Thanks, Traci.

Hugs, Renee
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    missrenee said:

I love this topic, Traci, and all the wonderful posts
    Today is my weekly cancer support group meeting at the Wellness Community. I am bringing in two wigs, a wig stand, and wig wash to donate to them for someone in need. I never even wore one and the other I wore maybe 3 times. I hope they make someone feel a little bit better, even when they might feel crappy.

Thanks, Traci.

Hugs, Renee

Lightening bugs!
    I posted this last year, as, it was such a wonderful summer evening that really touched my heart, so, I thought I would repost it, as, my hubby and I have been sitting out at night still and guess what? You got it...lightning bugs are everywhere! lol Hope you still enjoy this post! It just shows how something so very simple will be etched in my heart and mind forever!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tonight when my hubby and I were sitting outside enjoying this beautiful cool summer evening, there were lightning bugs everywhere just lighting up the sky.

I have always loved them, and, especially as a child, my sister and I would catch them in jars and watch them all lit up until we would fall asleep at night.

Well, tonight my hubby grabbed a bunch and squished them ( i know, it sounds gross ) and put them in a circle on my ring finger.

He looked at me and said " Now I give you a circle of light to show you how bright my love for you is tonight and forever more."

I started crying!!!!

I know it might sound corny to some of you, heck, maybe all of you, but, I will treasure that moment and my lit up ring finger in my heart forever!

So, I loved lightning bugs before, but, now I REALLY love them!!!

Sue :)

P.S. I don't think I will ever wash my finger again! LOL
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Ritzy said:

Lightening bugs!
    I posted this last year, as, it was such a wonderful summer evening that really touched my heart, so, I thought I would repost it, as, my hubby and I have been sitting out at night still and guess what? You got it...lightning bugs are everywhere! lol Hope you still enjoy this post! It just shows how something so very simple will be etched in my heart and mind forever!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tonight when my hubby and I were sitting outside enjoying this beautiful cool summer evening, there were lightning bugs everywhere just lighting up the sky.

I have always loved them, and, especially as a child, my sister and I would catch them in jars and watch them all lit up until we would fall asleep at night.

Well, tonight my hubby grabbed a bunch and squished them ( i know, it sounds gross ) and put them in a circle on my ring finger.

He looked at me and said " Now I give you a circle of light to show you how bright my love for you is tonight and forever more."

I started crying!!!!

I know it might sound corny to some of you, heck, maybe all of you, but, I will treasure that moment and my lit up ring finger in my heart forever!

So, I loved lightning bugs before, but, now I REALLY love them!!!

Sue :)

P.S. I don't think I will ever wash my finger again! LOL

sitting and watching Harry Potter
    and SO enjoying the relief from anxiety which has been tormenting me since Sunday. Just sitting and watching a movie with my husband and two kids and being able to enjoy it without feeling like I am jumping out of my skin is SUCH a blessing!

We are watching Part I of the last Harry Potter, which we've already seen, but wanted to remember since we just got tickets for this Thursday midnight opening of Part II - the last, last part of Harry Potter!

We are heading up to Fox Chase on Thursday night since we have an appointment in the morning for my pathology report on Friday. My 12 year old son was SO disappointed that we couldn't see the movie premiere as I thought it opened FRIDAY night, not THURSDAY night. I had promised him we would go on Friday night but the the kids were supposed to stay with friends on Thursday. So we just decided tonight that we would leave our younger daughter with friends and take him with us to Philly. So I got tickets for 12:01 in Philly! It's a small thing, but I'm just so glad that we are able to spend this time with him and so grateful.

We are so lucky that Fox Chase has free and reduced price housing for patients travelling more than 50 miles for treatment - another seed of joy!

Thanks so much for starting this post! I love to come here and realize that people are still able to enjoy life! I try to remind myself often (sometimes more successfully than other times) that I am not dying of cancer, I am LIVING with cancer.

Laura
  • LYaklin
    LYaklin Member Posts: 16
    grams2jc said:

A tiny whoosh and beat, some bright bangs
    Heard the heartbeat of little 12 1/2 week fetus JC last Friday, talk about joy and tears.

Then a belated July 4th family get-together Saturday evening of our blended bunch. It was wonderful, no tension, just good food, fun fireworks and a little planter's punch.

Thanks for suggesting this thread Traci,

Jennifer

I agree with Suzanne!
    Nothing on Earth is so sweet and beautiful as a new little life. I have a grandson who just turned 6 months old. He is the light in my world. The most wonderful memories I have in recent years since being diagnosed have been all about him, my little Zaine Nicholas; hearing his heartbeat, seeing he was a boy with the ultrasound, being there when he took his first breath, and now watching him grow so fast. I love him sooooo much!

There was something that made me giggle hysterically yesterday though. My dad took me to lunch and there were 2 elderly couples dining together. One of the ladies shot her straw paper across the table at her friend's husband!! Loved it!!!

Laura Y
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    joy
    Well the small joy is having my teenage grandaughter here to help with housework. I am also teaching her about home canning so that she will have that skill. She will likely help her mother do that next summer when they get a home where they can have a garden. The big joy is seeing her delight at catching insects. Now who would think a teenager would have such fun with this. However, she does this. She also lets them go in the evening so that they can rejoin thier families.
  • CAchick
    CAchick Member Posts: 277
    Seven wonderful grandbabies! Four wonderful children! Great Hubs
    Great Hubs-Danny!
    Four wonderful children: Danielle, David, Laura, and Josh (and their spouses!)
    Seven amazing grandbabies: TJ age 9, Natelee age 5, Jesse age 4, Hazel age 3, Henry age 19 mo, Jonah age 10 mo, and Julia age 4 mo... LIGHTS OF MY LIFE!
    They are worth every fight I have to fight...

Sybil/Honey/Momma/Nana
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    CAchick said:

Seven wonderful grandbabies! Four wonderful children! Great Hubs
    Great Hubs-Danny!
    Four wonderful children: Danielle, David, Laura, and Josh (and their spouses!)
    Seven amazing grandbabies: TJ age 9, Natelee age 5, Jesse age 4, Hazel age 3, Henry age 19 mo, Jonah age 10 mo, and Julia age 4 mo... LIGHTS OF MY LIFE!
    They are worth every fight I have to fight...

Sybil/Honey/Momma/Nana

Well said!
    I have but one daughter left, and no grandchildren as of now...but yeah, I would do anything to stay around for my daughter!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • CAchick
    CAchick Member Posts: 277
    KathiM said:

Well said!
    I have but one daughter left, and no grandchildren as of now...but yeah, I would do anything to stay around for my daughter!!!

Hugs, Kathi

Yes, sister!
    Aren't they great? (children and, you will find out some day, grands!)
    :) Have a great day!
    Sybil
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    CAchick said:

Yes, sister!
    Aren't they great? (children and, you will find out some day, grands!)
    :) Have a great day!
    Sybil

Yesterday
    At some point yesterday I realized it was July 12th. One year ago on the 12th was when my journey began. It's a big milestone. And we're in St. Louis on vacation. The 2 kittens in our house have been real seeds of joy too!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Some great joyful stories.
    Thanks Traci for starting this thread.
    Suzanne

Great thread Traci!
    My hubby sends me cute little cards and sends me flowers for absolutely no reason. Well, except that he loves me! He is so funny. He has others write my name and address on them, thinking I won't figure it out until I open it. I really love my husband!!!!
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Rare flower
    Here is my happy news:

I am a somewhat fanatical, crazy gardener who "specializes" in planting local native plants. I do this because I believe it is the right thing to do. Besides having a yard full of our precious and beautiful native plants, I also have more beneficial insects, frogs, birds, etc. Most modern plants attract few, if any, insects, and are somewhat equivalent to planting plastic plants (my opinion). My garden is truly a wildlife garden with ladybugs, frogs, lizards, birds nesting and visiting, etc.

I am constantly on the look out for local plants and buy most from arboretums, local and online nurseries. They are often hard to find and I feel most days like I am on a scavenger hunt.

But here is the amazing thing. In the middle of my garden a rare, white wildflower volunteered itself. It is a lovely salt water mallow usually only in pink. It took me forever to figure out what it was because I was looking only in white flowers. I just had the identity confirmed by a University of Texas wildflower expert through photos.

How did this lovely rare thing get into my yard and where did it come from? It has been a big thrill for me and I am going to try and save seeds next year to give to friends.
    It has a name "Immaculata" for the particular variety, but to me its name is "Hope." I think it was a cosmic surprise tailor-made to bring me joy and courage!
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944

Rare flower
    Here is my happy news:

I am a somewhat fanatical, crazy gardener who "specializes" in planting local native plants. I do this because I believe it is the right thing to do. Besides having a yard full of our precious and beautiful native plants, I also have more beneficial insects, frogs, birds, etc. Most modern plants attract few, if any, insects, and are somewhat equivalent to planting plastic plants (my opinion). My garden is truly a wildlife garden with ladybugs, frogs, lizards, birds nesting and visiting, etc.

I am constantly on the look out for local plants and buy most from arboretums, local and online nurseries. They are often hard to find and I feel most days like I am on a scavenger hunt.

But here is the amazing thing. In the middle of my garden a rare, white wildflower volunteered itself. It is a lovely salt water mallow usually only in pink. It took me forever to figure out what it was because I was looking only in white flowers. I just had the identity confirmed by a University of Texas wildflower expert through photos.

How did this lovely rare thing get into my yard and where did it come from? It has been a big thrill for me and I am going to try and save seeds next year to give to friends.
    It has a name "Immaculata" for the particular variety, but to me its name is "Hope." I think it was a cosmic surprise tailor-made to bring me joy and courage!

Outside my backdoor awaits
    Outside my backdoor awaits an abundance of flowering lillies in every color you can imagine. I love sitting on my glider swing watching robins, blue jays, morning doves and sparrows take baths in their bird baths. I also get a daily chuckle watching the robin nesting in our red maple tree, every day chasing a pest of a squirrel out of it's domain. Mother nature can be quite beautiful...

Lorrie
  • Megan M
    fauxma said:

Traci
    This is just the most

Traci
    This is just the most perfect post you started.
    Okay, my joy is that Den is home and doing alright and when he saw the grandkids and they got so excited, he broke into a big smile and it didn't droop. It was a perfect u shaped smile and his dimple was showing. It's the first time. That was the most beautiful thing I ever saw. Later it was back to being slightly droopy but I know that it will be back permanently soon. Thank you Traci for this post. I think that the monk meant that we must nuture our joy like growing a plant. It may start small but if we build on the little joys they will grow to bigger joys. Just my interpretation.
    Stef

Stef, your post brought
    Stef, your post brought water to my seed! So glad your husband is home and better!

Hugs, Megan
  • Megan M
    fauxma said:

Traci
    This is just the most

Traci
    This is just the most perfect post you started.
    Okay, my joy is that Den is home and doing alright and when he saw the grandkids and they got so excited, he broke into a big smile and it didn't droop. It was a perfect u shaped smile and his dimple was showing. It's the first time. That was the most beautiful thing I ever saw. Later it was back to being slightly droopy but I know that it will be back permanently soon. Thank you Traci for this post. I think that the monk meant that we must nuture our joy like growing a plant. It may start small but if we build on the little joys they will grow to bigger joys. Just my interpretation.
    Stef

Stef, your post brought
    Stef, your post brought water to my seed! So glad your husband is home and better!

Hugs, Megan
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    TraciInLA said:

Come on, Sylvia -- 'fess up
    'Fess up, Sylvia -- have you already done the Grandma thing and gone out and bought him big boy undies with trucks or Spider Man or Sponge Bob on them?

:-) Traci

Busted!!!
    Actually, they have cute little monkeys on them...

;)
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    dbhadra said:

sitting and watching Harry Potter
    and SO enjoying the relief from anxiety which has been tormenting me since Sunday. Just sitting and watching a movie with my husband and two kids and being able to enjoy it without feeling like I am jumping out of my skin is SUCH a blessing!

We are watching Part I of the last Harry Potter, which we've already seen, but wanted to remember since we just got tickets for this Thursday midnight opening of Part II - the last, last part of Harry Potter!

We are heading up to Fox Chase on Thursday night since we have an appointment in the morning for my pathology report on Friday. My 12 year old son was SO disappointed that we couldn't see the movie premiere as I thought it opened FRIDAY night, not THURSDAY night. I had promised him we would go on Friday night but the the kids were supposed to stay with friends on Thursday. So we just decided tonight that we would leave our younger daughter with friends and take him with us to Philly. So I got tickets for 12:01 in Philly! It's a small thing, but I'm just so glad that we are able to spend this time with him and so grateful.

We are so lucky that Fox Chase has free and reduced price housing for patients travelling more than 50 miles for treatment - another seed of joy!

Thanks so much for starting this post! I love to come here and realize that people are still able to enjoy life! I try to remind myself often (sometimes more successfully than other times) that I am not dying of cancer, I am LIVING with cancer.

Laura

Thanks Laura for that. I
    Thanks Laura for that. I love, "I am not dying of cancer, I am LIVING with cancer." I love, love, love that--especially since I am not that into tragedies--especially my own ;-)