Mammo's yearly not every 6 months?

Options
robang13
robang13 Member Posts: 333
Just went to see my surgeon today and he started me on tamoxifen, told me to see him in 6 months, and that I will get mammo's yearly? I thought standard procedure was every 6 months after having b.c? While he said HE will see me every 6 months for an exam, shouldn't I be getting mammo's every 6 months also? He is my main doctor as I don't have an oncologist. He is a breast cancer surgeon. That's all he does. Should I ask my radiology oncologist what his opinion is next week when I go back to him? I just finished my rads 10 days ago and am dx with dcis stage 0. I am concerned that yearly is too long since this was discovered through my mammography. Any opinions?

Angela

Comments

• Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I get mammo's and
    I get mammo's and ultrasounds every 6 months still, and, will for awhile yet. And, if they have any questions on either of those, I get a MRI.

Since this bothers you, please ask your rads oncologist.

I know doctors do lots of things differently. None are the same.

Let us know what you find out.

And, congrats on finishing rads!
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Not an opinion
    just what happened to me: six months after my lumpectomy surgery, I had a mammogram just on that side. Six months later mammograms on both sides. They, surgeon and radiation onc and medical onc, say mammograms will now be annually. Little scary to me, but they won't be budged by my fear.

xoxo
    Victoria
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Annual
    I have annual Mammograms now. I used to see my Surgeon every 6 months but won't be seeing him any more - he cut me loose in early April as long as I see my PA every 6 months instead of annually as I do now. I don't see my Rads Dr anymore either as he cut me loose after a year. Still have my Chemo Dr who i'll see in Aug for a 6 month check up - don't know what he'll do but I'm thinking he's going to want to go to yearly appts.

Certainly you can ask you Rads Dr for his opinion. Different Drs. will have different ideas of what is called for in each personal case. I would think that different types of BC might call for different time frames to be used.
  • robang13
    Options
    aisling8 said:

Not an opinion
    just what happened to me: six months after my lumpectomy surgery, I had a mammogram just on that side. Six months later mammograms on both sides. They, surgeon and radiation onc and medical onc, say mammograms will now be annually. Little scary to me, but they won't be budged by my fear.

xoxo
    Victoria

@victoria,
    Right, you had

@victoria,

Right, you had one 6 months after surgery and then 6 months after that before going on to a year. That's what I thought would be normal. To me, to wait a year the first time is too scary for me. I would understand 6 months the first year THEN yearly after that. I will also ask my gyno when I see her what her thoughts are on the subject. I would feel better to go 6 months from now not a year.
  • robang13
    Options
    Noel said:

I get mammo's and
    I get mammo's and ultrasounds every 6 months still, and, will for awhile yet. And, if they have any questions on either of those, I get a MRI.

Since this bothers you, please ask your rads oncologist.

I know doctors do lots of things differently. None are the same.

Let us know what you find out.

And, congrats on finishing rads!

@noel
    I will ask my rads

@noel

I will ask my rads doctor and also my gyno. To me waiting a year is just too much to ask. And it's great to be finished rads thanks
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Annual
    I have annual Mammograms now. I used to see my Surgeon every 6 months but won't be seeing him any more - he cut me loose in early April as long as I see my PA every 6 months instead of annually as I do now. I don't see my Rads Dr anymore either as he cut me loose after a year. Still have my Chemo Dr who i'll see in Aug for a 6 month check up - don't know what he'll do but I'm thinking he's going to want to go to yearly appts.

Certainly you can ask you Rads Dr for his opinion. Different Drs. will have different ideas of what is called for in each personal case. I would think that different types of BC might call for different time frames to be used.

I think we have the same follow-up schedule
    I agree with Rague, I think different types of bc require different follow ups. My bc was Stage 1, Grade 2 and I'm having yearly mammograms, first one next week. I do see the surgeon every 6 months and he will do an exam, the oncologist every 4 months, and the rad onc too. I get blood work every 4 months. I'm going to ask some questions when I see the surgeon and medical oncologist next week. Had I "only" had bc, I probably wouldn't worry, but since I had 2 primary cancers at the same time, it makes me nervous that my body is becoming a place where bad things like to grow. I would like them to remember that and take that into consideration and not just consider what their specific job is. I think they do, but I'd like a little reassurance.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options

I agree with Rague, I think different types of bc require different follow ups. My bc was Stage 1, Grade 2 and I'm having yearly mammograms, first one next week. I do see the surgeon every 6 months and he will do an exam, the oncologist every 4 months, and the rad onc too. I get blood work every 4 months. I'm going to ask some questions when I see the surgeon and medical oncologist next week. Had I "only" had bc, I probably wouldn't worry, but since I had 2 primary cancers at the same time, it makes me nervous that my body is becoming a place where bad things like to grow. I would like them to remember that and take that into consideration and not just consider what their specific job is. I think they do, but I'd like a little reassurance.

Probably depends on a combination of factors
    First of all, I was Stage IIIC with 10 positive nodes when the cancer was found. The microcalcifications were missed on routine yearly mammos and my breast tissue is very dense. With the okay of my surgeon and onc., I am having mammos, ultrasounds and MRIs every 6 months. For me, there is no way I'd ever just trust a mammo again and it's not within my comfort level to do that. So, I will demand the MRI, mammo and ultrasound every six months. Again--this is just my story and what's within my comfort level. Also, I am very thankful that my husband carries me on his excellent corporate health insurance.

I would say--do whatever makes you feel most comfortable for you--even if it takes fighting with the doctors. It's your body.

Hugs, Renee
  • robang13
    Options
    missrenee said:

Probably depends on a combination of factors
    First of all, I was Stage IIIC with 10 positive nodes when the cancer was found. The microcalcifications were missed on routine yearly mammos and my breast tissue is very dense. With the okay of my surgeon and onc., I am having mammos, ultrasounds and MRIs every 6 months. For me, there is no way I'd ever just trust a mammo again and it's not within my comfort level to do that. So, I will demand the MRI, mammo and ultrasound every six months. Again--this is just my story and what's within my comfort level. Also, I am very thankful that my husband carries me on his excellent corporate health insurance.

I would say--do whatever makes you feel most comfortable for you--even if it takes fighting with the doctors. It's your body.

Hugs, Renee

@renee,
    Mine was found

@renee,
    Mine was found through the mammo. It was so tiny and deep that you couldn't feel it. If I had waited on the mammo or didn't get the great guy who read it, my outcome might not have been so good.That's why I feel that I want one in 6 months atleast for the first year till my mind rests. I think if they all say no then my gyno will say yes. It's not like they are doing MRI's or ultrasounds. He is talking about only doing a manual check-up. That to me is not enough no matter what kind of bc you have.
    Glad you fought!

Hugs, Angela
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    robang13 said:

@noel
    I will ask my rads

@noel

I will ask my rads doctor and also my gyno. To me waiting a year is just too much to ask. And it's great to be finished rads thanks

I will have mammos and
    I will have mammos and ultrasounds every six months still. They haven't said when it will go to one year. For me, I feel better and safer going every six months.

Hugs, Leeza
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    for 2 1/2 yrs I saw my
    for 2 1/2 yrs I saw my oncologist @ 3mths..just moved up to 4mths now...yipppeee and mammo every 6mths...each time changes...one time both breasts and next time the one side which had the cancer...

I was on tamoxfen 2 1/2 yrs..then issues..taken off it 2 mths ago..surgery and I THINK tomorrow i"ll go back on it...
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

I have the mammo's and
    I have the mammo's and ultrasounds every 6 months. And, I see my rads oncologist every 4 months. I love that guy and the whole cancer center, so, I don't mind any appointment that I have there.

Sue :)
  • robang13
    Options
    Ritzy said:

I have the mammo's and
    I have the mammo's and ultrasounds every 6 months. And, I see my rads oncologist every 4 months. I love that guy and the whole cancer center, so, I don't mind any appointment that I have there.

Sue :)

So it seems to me that most
    So it seems to me that most everyone has them every 6 months for some time. I am wondering why he said in a year? It really concerns me. I meet with the rads oncologist next week and hope he has a better answer for me. I mean, can I demand one every 6 months? I'm sure since I have bc my insurance will cover it! I do not want to go a year~

angela
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Options
    My onc and surgeon are
    My onc and surgeon are waiting until Aug. which will be a year since surgery to do a mammo. After lumpectomy and rads (33), my breast is still only about half healed. They say they feel raw flesh and it is quite painful. So they won't do mammo until it is better. Need a baseline so I hope pretty soon as I want to know in the future if things change. Found my cancer on yearly mammo also.
    Hope this might help you.
    Diana
  • robang13
    Options
    gagee said:

My onc and surgeon are
    My onc and surgeon are waiting until Aug. which will be a year since surgery to do a mammo. After lumpectomy and rads (33), my breast is still only about half healed. They say they feel raw flesh and it is quite painful. So they won't do mammo until it is better. Need a baseline so I hope pretty soon as I want to know in the future if things change. Found my cancer on yearly mammo also.
    Hope this might help you.
    Diana

@Diana,
    Hmmm, that kinda

@Diana,

Hmmm, that kinda makes sense. Maybe that's why he suggested it? I also had a lumpectomy and rads. I will make sure that I speak more in detail with my rads onc . Sort of pick his brain a little. I feel more comfortable with him to ask more questions.
    Thanks~
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    robang13 said:

@Diana,
    Hmmm, that kinda

@Diana,

Hmmm, that kinda makes sense. Maybe that's why he suggested it? I also had a lumpectomy and rads. I will make sure that I speak more in detail with my rads onc . Sort of pick his brain a little. I feel more comfortable with him to ask more questions.
    Thanks~

Mammos
    I was dx with DCIS Stage 0.No chemo or radiation.Tumor 1/2 centimeter.I also was told by my Breast Surgeon it will be 2 years soon. He said every year after this next check up for mammos.I am like you.I don't feel comfortable. We all probably feel this way.I do self exams and since my dx I have been back to the doctor 2 times THINKING I felt something.He said my breast are dense.So it could be hard for us.Not find anything but the mammo would. Makes you feel you are not being watched as carefully.I bet insurance companies have alot to do with it. Had benign tumors for 42 years. Mammos every 6 months for up to 2 years. It was that way then.BUT those tumors were benign not a cancer dx like now.

I still feel I would like to see the surgeon every 6 months if not for anything else but a breast exam.See if he feels anything.Our doctors might find something.So far I've been the one to find the benign ones but the malignant tumor was my annual mammo.Being 1/2 centimeter and where it was I doubt I would ever found it.

I wonder about the oncologist??? I think those doctors would be every 6 months. Although my friends sees her doctors every year but she is a 16 year survivor and has to feel more comfortable.

My appt are coming up.I will be checking on this.Will find out from The Breast Cancer Center first.That is where I get my mammos with doctor's order.Before that I made my own appt but now with a diagnostic mammo the doctor must make my appt.

Lynn Smith
  • robang13
    Options

Mammos
    I was dx with DCIS Stage 0.No chemo or radiation.Tumor 1/2 centimeter.I also was told by my Breast Surgeon it will be 2 years soon. He said every year after this next check up for mammos.I am like you.I don't feel comfortable. We all probably feel this way.I do self exams and since my dx I have been back to the doctor 2 times THINKING I felt something.He said my breast are dense.So it could be hard for us.Not find anything but the mammo would. Makes you feel you are not being watched as carefully.I bet insurance companies have alot to do with it. Had benign tumors for 42 years. Mammos every 6 months for up to 2 years. It was that way then.BUT those tumors were benign not a cancer dx like now.

I still feel I would like to see the surgeon every 6 months if not for anything else but a breast exam.See if he feels anything.Our doctors might find something.So far I've been the one to find the benign ones but the malignant tumor was my annual mammo.Being 1/2 centimeter and where it was I doubt I would ever found it.

I wonder about the oncologist??? I think those doctors would be every 6 months. Although my friends sees her doctors every year but she is a 16 year survivor and has to feel more comfortable.

My appt are coming up.I will be checking on this.Will find out from The Breast Cancer Center first.That is where I get my mammos with doctor's order.Before that I made my own appt but now with a diagnostic mammo the doctor must make my appt.

Lynn Smith

@Lynn,
    I wouldn't even mind

@Lynn,
    I wouldn't even mind as much if he said every 6 months for the first 2 years! He just said yearly from now on. I just had surgery in March! I think I should be watched closely for atleast the first year or so. The more I think about this the more upset I get. I sure hope my rads onco says something different. I don't have a regular oncologists since the surgeon I went to specializes in breast cancer surgery and he was the person I saw with the mammo results. I went from him to the rads oncologist.
    Thanks for your thoughts : )
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    robang13 said:

@Lynn,
    I wouldn't even mind

@Lynn,
    I wouldn't even mind as much if he said every 6 months for the first 2 years! He just said yearly from now on. I just had surgery in March! I think I should be watched closely for atleast the first year or so. The more I think about this the more upset I get. I sure hope my rads onco says something different. I don't have a regular oncologists since the surgeon I went to specializes in breast cancer surgery and he was the person I saw with the mammo results. I went from him to the rads oncologist.
    Thanks for your thoughts : )

Robang13
    I see now. I thought you were pushing into 2 years. Surgery was March then your doctor said once a year. My breast surgeon is also a trauma doctor and general surgeon. His practice mentions all 3 specialities.I have been with this same group for over 40 years.Benign breast tumors and other things.

I would talk to your doctor about this.My breast surgeon said every 6 months for mammos and check ups first 2 years. Then once a year.I had DCIS, non invasive and the tumor was 1/2 centimeter.Can't get any better but still my doctor has been watching me for almost 2 years in Aug. Even though it is a good dx I feel like I want more attention.At least exams every 6 months.

I don't know what type of cancer you have but mine was a good report(if there is such a thing?).AM I OK.Yes but there are times I wish he would've said radiation since no chemo.He said take tamoxifin.He talked about my dx with a group of other doctors so I accept.

You've got some talking to do.Even when I had benign tumors since I was 20 I got check ups every 6 months for 2 years.That was years ago my doctors did that.

Lynn Smith
  • robang13
    Options

Robang13
    I see now. I thought you were pushing into 2 years. Surgery was March then your doctor said once a year. My breast surgeon is also a trauma doctor and general surgeon. His practice mentions all 3 specialities.I have been with this same group for over 40 years.Benign breast tumors and other things.

I would talk to your doctor about this.My breast surgeon said every 6 months for mammos and check ups first 2 years. Then once a year.I had DCIS, non invasive and the tumor was 1/2 centimeter.Can't get any better but still my doctor has been watching me for almost 2 years in Aug. Even though it is a good dx I feel like I want more attention.At least exams every 6 months.

I don't know what type of cancer you have but mine was a good report(if there is such a thing?).AM I OK.Yes but there are times I wish he would've said radiation since no chemo.He said take tamoxifin.He talked about my dx with a group of other doctors so I accept.

You've got some talking to do.Even when I had benign tumors since I was 20 I got check ups every 6 months for 2 years.That was years ago my doctors did that.

Lynn Smith

Lynn,
    Mine is the same as

Lynn,
    Mine is the same as yours: dcis stage 0 non-invasive positive for estrogen. That is why I am concerned since I can't see waiting a whole year. I do not think my gyno will let me go a year. I did get rads 35 of them the last 5 being boosts. I am on tamoxifen now. Just started this week. I will talk to the rads onco this week and see what his opinion is. If he says the same thing I will question him. I don't know why I didn't question the surgeon. I think I was just surprised that he would see me in 6 months but not send me for a mammo for a year. If my rads onco says the same thing I will then talk to my gyno. Come hell or high water I will get a mammo in 6 months!! I may have to take it myself, but I will get it : )

Good luck with your treatment : )
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    robang13 said:

Lynn,
    Mine is the same as

Lynn,
    Mine is the same as yours: dcis stage 0 non-invasive positive for estrogen. That is why I am concerned since I can't see waiting a whole year. I do not think my gyno will let me go a year. I did get rads 35 of them the last 5 being boosts. I am on tamoxifen now. Just started this week. I will talk to the rads onco this week and see what his opinion is. If he says the same thing I will question him. I don't know why I didn't question the surgeon. I think I was just surprised that he would see me in 6 months but not send me for a mammo for a year. If my rads onco says the same thing I will then talk to my gyno. Come hell or high water I will get a mammo in 6 months!! I may have to take it myself, but I will get it : )

NCCN guidelines
    I really think yearly mammograms are fine for me, but I still want to ask some questions because I think I'm special because I had the 2 primary cancers. It sounds like you had a non-invasive, slow growing, non-aggressive cancer. Nonetheless, check out the NCCN guidelines http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp to see clincal practice guidelines for your particular type of cancer. You have to establish an account, but the information there is really valuable. It often sets my mind at ease - except for the being special part.

I'm not saying don't ask everyone involved in your care - absolutely do that. And get second opinions if you're not satisfied. Just wanted to point out the NCCN guidelines for clinicians that we can access. It's really a good resource.

Suzanne
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    robang13 said:

Lynn,
    Mine is the same as

Lynn,

mine not found on mammo
    Like Miss Renee my cancer was not found on mammo. My breasts are very dense and they can see nothing. I would go for a MRI and I will not take a clear mammo or even sonogram (which also showed nothing) as NED. that is just me, I am certainly not saying mammos are not useful and women should not have them; I know they do detect many breast cancers but the fact is they did not detect mine. I am still in mid-treatment (just finished chemo, need to go to surgery and radiation) and then I don't know what will be the followup plan.

I would certainly push for every six months at first but don't know yet what what insurance is planning to cover or what doctors will recommend.

I do believe, if you are not comfortable, you need to advocate for yourself and see if you can get what you need to feel better.
    Laura

Laura