Pls recommend surgeons!!! Anyone knows Dr. Paul Russo?

HeatherHa
HeatherHa Member Posts: 22
Pls let us know who the best doctors in the US for partial nephrectomy are? Needed for removal of a large mass. Does anyone know of Dr. Russo from Sloan Kettering?

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    There are many top Doctors for your surgery
    The bio for Dr. Russo speaks well of his qualafications. He did his fellowship in this specialty at a top institution and continues to practice with that institution. Generally partials are done with small tumors (4 to 6 cm or less) so your question of the best Doctor to do a partial on a large mass may not have an answer. I know Cleveland Clinic has a large Kidney Cancer program and if you go on line you can obtain for free their book of a 100 questions about Kidney Cancer. My surgery 9 years ago was by an oncokogist urologist who had just completed his fellowship at Baylor where he had done 150 Laproscopic removals in one year and now 9 years later is the head of Urology at a medium sized hospital. they were not doing partials back then. Nepherectomys have been around for years but the partials and laproscopic removals are much more recent and the doctors doing these tend to be much younger.
  • HeatherHa
    icemantoo said:

There are many top Doctors for your surgery
    The bio for Dr. Russo speaks well of his qualafications. He did his fellowship in this specialty at a top institution and continues to practice with that institution. Generally partials are done with small tumors (4 to 6 cm or less) so your question of the best Doctor to do a partial on a large mass may not have an answer. I know Cleveland Clinic has a large Kidney Cancer program and if you go on line you can obtain for free their book of a 100 questions about Kidney Cancer. My surgery 9 years ago was by an oncokogist urologist who had just completed his fellowship at Baylor where he had done 150 Laproscopic removals in one year and now 9 years later is the head of Urology at a medium sized hospital. they were not doing partials back then. Nepherectomys have been around for years but the partials and laproscopic removals are much more recent and the doctors doing these tend to be much younger.

Thanks. Indeed it is hard to find laparascopic partial removal
    Thanks for you response. From Dr. Russon's bio he is indeed excellent, but as you stated, I am not sure of his experience with laparascopic. The situtaiton is difficult, since fast recovery is required for oncology treatment for the original cancer (for which treatment is successful but for the kidney, for the past years). With open surgery recovery is much tougher, longer, and weakens the body...Cleveland has a big clinic, but even there we want a reocmmendation for the top srugeon for the surgery needed, which we don't have...
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    HeatherHa said:

Thanks. Indeed it is hard to find laparascopic partial removal
    Thanks for you response. From Dr. Russon's bio he is indeed excellent, but as you stated, I am not sure of his experience with laparascopic. The situtaiton is difficult, since fast recovery is required for oncology treatment for the original cancer (for which treatment is successful but for the kidney, for the past years). With open surgery recovery is much tougher, longer, and weakens the body...Cleveland has a big clinic, but even there we want a reocmmendation for the top srugeon for the surgery needed, which we don't have...

Finding the right surgeon
    Laproscopic like partials are both limited to smaller tumors. If you choose a place like Cleveland Clinic, Sloan Kettering, Mayo Clinic etc. they will do the intake and determine the best procedure for you and may suggest one or more options as well as the most appropriate Doctor for the surgery. I do not believe it is in your interest to tell them what procedure you want and don't want before you are examined by them. Nor is everything black and white. The procedure chosen may change during the procedure. Additionally you and the Doctor will want to discuss options with whichever Doctor or hospital you choose. These are my thoughts and others are free to agree or disagree.
  • Jamie1.3cm
    Jamie1.3cm Member Posts: 188
    icemantoo said:

Finding the right surgeon
    Laproscopic like partials are both limited to smaller tumors. If you choose a place like Cleveland Clinic, Sloan Kettering, Mayo Clinic etc. they will do the intake and determine the best procedure for you and may suggest one or more options as well as the most appropriate Doctor for the surgery. I do not believe it is in your interest to tell them what procedure you want and don't want before you are examined by them. Nor is everything black and white. The procedure chosen may change during the procedure. Additionally you and the Doctor will want to discuss options with whichever Doctor or hospital you choose. These are my thoughts and others are free to agree or disagree.

Lapro v. Open Surgery
    As desperately as we all want the lapro surgery, sometimes it isn't the best option, depending on the size, type, and location of the mass. If I were you, I'd be open to whatever is best medically, even considering your other chemo therapy. The assumption that all lapro is better, just isn't true. Similarly, a partial isn't always the best option. If it means that all the cancer wasn't removed, then what was the point?

Excellent films will tell you a lot, but the doctors never know for sure until they get in there.

Looking for a large, teaching hospital is a good idea. They will be knowledgeable and experienced in the latest surgical procedures. They are also most likely to be familiar with other medical issues involved.
  • VeryAnxious
    VeryAnxious Member Posts: 67

Lapro v. Open Surgery
    As desperately as we all want the lapro surgery, sometimes it isn't the best option, depending on the size, type, and location of the mass. If I were you, I'd be open to whatever is best medically, even considering your other chemo therapy. The assumption that all lapro is better, just isn't true. Similarly, a partial isn't always the best option. If it means that all the cancer wasn't removed, then what was the point?

Excellent films will tell you a lot, but the doctors never know for sure until they get in there.

Looking for a large, teaching hospital is a good idea. They will be knowledgeable and experienced in the latest surgical procedures. They are also most likely to be familiar with other medical issues involved.

Don't know where you are,
    Don't know where you are, but Johns Hopkins does all typpes and see everything .
  • dbr70
    dbr70 Member Posts: 4
    When I was diagnosed with a kidney tumor a few months ago, my surgeon said that laproscopic radical nephrectomy was required because of the tumor's central position, not because of its size (4cm). I sought a second opinion and that surgeon also agreed. I really wanted to hear that laproscopic partial nephrectomy was possible. The second opinion surgeon told me only a few surgeons anywhere might have the skills to do the partial nephrectomy but with an open procedure. He specifically mentioned Dr. Russo at Sloan Memorial in Manhattan. He also mentioned Cleveland Clinic. In the end, I chose the laproscopic radical nephrectomy to ensure no complicatons. I stayed at the hospital for two nights. Recovery went smoothly. I only struggled with lifting myself out of bed for a while and with walking very slowly to avoid pain. I missed 2.5 weeks of work. Almost 100% back to health after 6 weeks now.

Best wishes with your search.
  • agood1999
    agood1999 Member Posts: 2
    Dr. Russo at Sloan
    Hi<

I had a open partial nephrectomy with Dr. Russo on 3/23/11. I had a very positive experience. He does not do laproscopic procedures and feels strongly it is not the right procedure for kidney surgery. Some of his reasons. The kidney is very vascular, its important to maintain function, when he does it open he can freeze the tissue and see and feel the organ. Something you cannot do as well with lap procedure. My incision was only 4 inches, I had no drain, came home in 3 days and had an excellent recovery. My hospital stay at Sloan was excellent. and I have been hospitalized at a lot of NY hospitals, for cancer (I am a 3 time survivor).

Not only does he know his stuff, he has an excellent bedside manner, is a straight shooter. It takes a while to get in to see him. He is swamped.

My tumor was 2cm, on the day of my surgery the patient before me had a 14cm tumor he was operating on. He operates at least 3 days a week. He is the only one that opens and closes you, he does not let his residents do it. He specifically said to me he is the only one that operates on you.

I had a great experience, the follow up has been top notch. There is pain after the procedure and you're sore deep inside for a while. This is my third month out and I still have muscle pain, but its getting better every week.
  • agood1999
    agood1999 Member Posts: 2
    Dr. Russo at Sloan
    Hi<

I had a open partial nephrectomy with Dr. Russo on 3/23/11. I had a very positive experience. He does not do laproscopic procedures and feels strongly it is not the right procedure for kidney surgery. Some of his reasons. The kidney is very vascular, its important to maintain function, when he does it open he can freeze the tissue and see and feel the organ. Something you cannot do as well with lap procedure. My incision was only 4 inches, I had no drain, came home in 3 days and had an excellent recovery. My hospital stay at Sloan was excellent. and I have been hospitalized at a lot of NY hospitals, for cancer (I am a 3 time survivor).

Not only does he know his stuff, he has an excellent bedside manner, is a straight shooter. It takes a while to get in to see him. He is swamped.

My tumor was 2cm, on the day of my surgery the patient before me had a 14cm tumor he was operating on. He operates at least 3 days a week. He is the only one that opens and closes you, he does not let his residents do it. He specifically said to me he is the only one that operates on you.

I had a great experience, the follow up has been top notch. There is pain after the procedure and you're sore deep inside for a while. This is my third month out and I still have muscle pain, but its getting better every week.
  • HeatherHa
    agood1999 said:

Dr. Russo at Sloan
    Hi<

Can you please email me?
    Hi,
    I was wondering if you could email me. I have some questions to ask about Dr. Russo.
  • HeatherHa
    agood1999 said:

Dr. Russo at Sloan
    Hi<

aGood1999- Regarding Dr. Russo
    Do you know anyone who had partial nephrectomy with Russo although he had a large tumor?
  • donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    HeatherHa said:

Do you know anyone who had partial nephrectomy with Russo although he had a large tumor?

Surgeons
    Altho when I had my "big" surgery and the second one, Dr. Mitchell Sokoloff was teaching/practicing at Oregon Health and Sciences University. In 2008, he took a position at the University of Arizona/Med School in Tucson. His specialty is urology-oncology-surgery. Look him up on the internet.
    Donna
  • jgrove
    jgrove Member Posts: 5
    HeatherHa said:

open partial neph
    Hi Heather,

I had an open partial neph, on my right kidney on Sept. 2010. Tumor was 12cm, with a seperate blood source, not the Renal artery.

It has been 10 months, still going through post op pains.

My surgeon is Dr. Derweesh at UC San Diego. Did a great job. Three scans, No Evidence of Desease.

Good luck.

Jim W.
  • nyc_girl
    nyc_girl Member Posts: 27
    He's the Best
    I would highly recommend Dr. Paul Russo.
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    nyc_girl said:

He's the Best
    I would highly recommend Dr. Paul Russo.

Maybe a trifle late for an urgent enquiry a year ago?
  • nyc_girl

Maybe a trifle late for an urgent enquiry a year ago?

Still good info for others searching
    Our newly diagnosed pre-surgical brothers and sisters search these forums, too.
  • BarbAnn50
    BarbAnn50 Member Posts: 1
    Dr. Russo at MSKCC
    Hi, Saw your post. Dr. Russo is my surgeon. A terrific doctor, very personable, very caring, as is the entire staff. I'm having a partial nephrectomy done in August. When the subject of laproscopy came up, Dr. Russo indicated he is not a fan of it, and doesn't practice it. Good luck with your procedure.
  • nyc_girl
    BarbAnn50 said:

Dr. Russo at MSKCC
    Hi, Saw your post. Dr. Russo is my surgeon. A terrific doctor, very personable, very caring, as is the entire staff. I'm having a partial nephrectomy done in August. When the subject of laproscopy came up, Dr. Russo indicated he is not a fan of it, and doesn't practice it. Good luck with your procedure.

Dr. Russo at MSKCC
    BarbAnn,
    Dr. Russo did my open partial nephrectomy in January. He and his staff are wonderful. The surgery went well and he saved about 90% of my affected kidney. I'm having my 6 month follow-up in a few weeks. Hoping for good news. Good luck with your surgery. Give yourself plenty of time to recover. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Wishing you well,
    nyc_girl
  • acuellar75
    acuellar75 Member Posts: 5
    jgrove said:

open partial neph
    Hi Heather,

I had an open partial neph, on my right kidney on Sept. 2010. Tumor was 12cm, with a seperate blood source, not the Renal artery.

It has been 10 months, still going through post op pains.

My surgeon is Dr. Derweesh at UC San Diego. Did a great job. Three scans, No Evidence of Desease.

Good luck.

Jim W.

Dr. Derweesh

Dear Jim,

I have a question in regards to Dr. Derweesh, my mother has a large tumor above the kidney, all indicating that is coming from the adrenal gland. This is the second recurrence after having her other kidney removed 13 years ago from another cancer tumor (in a different clinic). She is currently being treated by Dr. Derweesh at UCSD, he put her on sutent for 2 months to reduce the tumor (it was 12 cm), and now it has been reduced by 50%. The doctor is very positive about this, even though he cannot promise he can save her only kidney, he seems however more optimistic. It has been very scary to hear all of the possible dangers of the surgery, as he states it is of high risk, this has been a major cause of anxiety to my mother and all of us. He might have to reconstruct the vena cava and adjacent vessels, so he is doing this procedure together with Dr. Hemming as an open surgery. Dr. Hemming mentioned he specializes in live-transplant, and mentioned if it was necessary they might take out the kidney, clean from the dissease and place it back. My mother is 67 and this seems extremely scary.

Hearinig your story has been of great help, if possible we would like to hear more details about your case and the kind of care you received during surgery at UCSD.

Thank you for your time.

Best,

Adriana

• nm7824
    nm7824 Member Posts: 3
    dbr70 said:

When I was diagnosed with a kidney tumor a few months ago, my surgeon said that laproscopic radical nephrectomy was required because of the tumor's central position, not because of its size (4cm). I sought a second opinion and that surgeon also agreed. I really wanted to hear that laproscopic partial nephrectomy was possible. The second opinion surgeon told me only a few surgeons anywhere might have the skills to do the partial nephrectomy but with an open procedure. He specifically mentioned Dr. Russo at Sloan Memorial in Manhattan. He also mentioned Cleveland Clinic. In the end, I chose the laproscopic radical nephrectomy to ensure no complicatons. I stayed at the hospital for two nights. Recovery went smoothly. I only struggled with lifting myself out of bed for a while and with walking very slowly to avoid pain. I missed 2.5 weeks of work. Almost 100% back to health after 6 weeks now.

Best wishes with your search.

whole nephrectomy

Can I ask your age ?

• nm7824
    nm7824 Member Posts: 3
    nyc_girl said:

Dr. Russo at MSKCC
    BarbAnn,
    Dr. Russo did my open partial nephrectomy in January. He and his staff are wonderful. The surgery went well and he saved about 90% of my affected kidney. I'm having my 6 month follow-up in a few weeks. Hoping for good news. Good luck with your surgery. Give yourself plenty of time to recover. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Wishing you well,
    nyc_girl

Partial Nephrectomy

Can I ask yout age ?