Pls recommend surgeons!!! Anyone knows Dr. Paul Russo?

2»

Comments

• nm7824
    nm7824 Member Posts: 3
    dbr70 said:

Pls recommend surgeons!!! Anyone knows Dr. Paul Russo?
    When I was diagnosed with a kidney tumor a few months ago, my surgeon said that laproscopic radical nephrectomy was required because of the tumor's central position, not because of its size (4cm). I sought a second opinion and that surgeon also agreed. I really wanted to hear that laproscopic partial nephrectomy was possible. The second opinion surgeon told me only a few surgeons anywhere might have the skills to do the partial nephrectomy but with an open procedure. He specifically mentioned Dr. Russo at Sloan Memorial in Manhattan. He also mentioned Cleveland Clinic. In the end, I chose the laproscopic radical nephrectomy to ensure no complicatons. I stayed at the hospital for two nights. Recovery went smoothly. I only struggled with lifting myself out of bed for a while and with walking very slowly to avoid pain. I missed 2.5 weeks of work. Almost 100% back to health after 6 weeks now.

Best wishes with your search.

laparoscopic whole nephrectomy

Can I ask your age ?

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    nm7824, this thread is from

nm7824, this thread is from 2011 and 2012 so I don't think nyc_girl will see this and respond. Or at least I haven't seen her around the forum. I also had Dr. Russo for a partial neph in 2014 so if you're thinking of him as your surgeon I could answer questions you may have.

• nm7824 said:

Partial Nephrectomy

Can I ask yout age ?

Another patient of Dr. Paul

Another patient of Dr. Paul Russo.  Surgery July 2014 when I was 47 years old.  I had a complicated situation.  A "hostile" abdomen from a massive surgery on my intestines as  a newborn made laparascopic surgery not advisable.  Location of my tumor was difficult too, and first doctor I saw said I would need a radical (total removal) nephrectomy.  Dr. Russo, whos is also a wonderful, warm and caring man, preserved 95% of my kidney.  Recovery was a breeze for me.  The only downside of seeing Dr. Russo is that the wait time in the waiting room can be a bit long, but this is a small price to pay for being under the care of a fabulous surgeon and person.

• bmickowski
    bmickowski Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2017 #25
    APny said:

nm7824, this thread is from

nm7824, this thread is from 2011 and 2012 so I don't think nyc_girl will see this and respond. Or at least I haven't seen her around the forum. I also had Dr. Russo for a partial neph in 2014 so if you're thinking of him as your surgeon I could answer questions you may have.

Medical Oncologist for Kidney at MSK

Who did you use as your medical oncologist. Need to make an appointment ASAP

• nyc_girl
    nyc_girl Member Posts: 27
    nm7824 said:

Partial Nephrectomy

Can I ask yout age ?

Partial Nephrectomy

I was 43 at the time of my surgery in 2012.  Finding Dr. Russo was a blessing.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    I don't see one only Dr.

I don't see one only Dr. Russo. He's a urologic oncologist and so far met all my needs and hopefully won't need anyone else. Many medical oncologists won't see you unless you have active cancer, or at least so I've heard. If you find one at MSK please let me know!