Relay for Life Tomorrow

BlownAway60
BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
I will be attending my second Relay for Life tomorrow.

New pic of me with 14 months of hair and 20 lbs gone.

I have made 40 hand crocheted caps to give to survivors at our relay.

Wish me luck.

Hugs to all

Donna

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Fantastic!!!
    Hi Donna! You look fantastic!!!

How very kind of you to have made the crocheted caps to give away to the survivors. You certainly have a very kind heart and a giving soul!

Good luck and have fun tomorrow Donna! And, thank you for walking for your pink sisters!

Post and let us know how it goes!

Sue :)
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Ritzy said:

Fantastic!!!
    Hi Donna! You look fantastic!!!

How very kind of you to have made the crocheted caps to give away to the survivors. You certainly have a very kind heart and a giving soul!

Good luck and have fun tomorrow Donna! And, thank you for walking for your pink sisters!

Post and let us know how it goes!

Sue :)

Our Relay
    Our Relay for Life is coming up beginning of June.I should be gettig my paperwork soon.It was also be my 2nd Walk. It was fun and I walked alot.As much as some of the younger people.

I even got my husband to walk and he had fun.

Lynn Smith
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    @Donna
    Great...!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Your hair looks great and
    Your hair looks great and that is a lot of weight to lose! Congrats on both counts!

Very sweet of you to hand out your homemade caps. What an angel you are.

Enjoy the relay and thanks!

Lex
  • rainbow4
    rainbow4 Member Posts: 137
    Off to Relay
    Donna,
    I'll be walking along with you tomorrow (if you'll do a cyber walk at our Relay on June 10 with me). I'm so glad you're feeling ready to go again this year, and am sure that the survivors will love the caps, made with love.

-rainbow4
  • BlownAway60
    rainbow4 said:

Off to Relay
    Donna,
    I'll be walking along with you tomorrow (if you'll do a cyber walk at our Relay on June 10 with me). I'm so glad you're feeling ready to go again this year, and am sure that the survivors will love the caps, made with love.

-rainbow4

Of course you all will be
    Of course you all will be with me.
    I will carry all of you in my heart.

Last year I wrote down everyone's call name and had it in my pocket.

Hugs

Donna
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Of course you all will be
    Of course you all will be with me.
    I will carry all of you in my heart.

Last year I wrote down everyone's call name and had it in my pocket.

Hugs

Donna

Thanks for taking us with
    Thanks for taking us with you Donna! The survivors will really love their caps!

Hugs, Megan
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Our Relay
    Our Relay for Life is coming up beginning of June.I should be gettig my paperwork soon.It was also be my 2nd Walk. It was fun and I walked alot.As much as some of the younger people.

I even got my husband to walk and he had fun.

Lynn Smith

Love your new pic Donna!
    Love your new pic Donna! Looks great!

I always appreciate the pink sisters when they do the relays. So, thank you Donna!

Hugs, Kylez
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Donna
    I wish you well on your Relay for Life. My BIL participated last year in New Hampshire on my behalf and this year he is gone. (Passed away in March from cancer.) I will be cheering you on! How wonderful that you crocheted hats for all. I have been crocheting blankets for babies/children/adults who are cancer patients. Great pic. Next week I will be 5 months post chemo and still have very little hair and it's white/grey.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Donna
    I wish you well on your Relay for Life. My BIL participated last year in New Hampshire on my behalf and this year he is gone. (Passed away in March from cancer.) I will be cheering you on! How wonderful that you crocheted hats for all. I have been crocheting blankets for babies/children/adults who are cancer patients. Great pic. Next week I will be 5 months post chemo and still have very little hair and it's white/grey.
    {{hugs}} Char

Good luck tomorrow Donna and
    Good luck tomorrow Donna and enjoy!

Thanks,

Diane
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Good Luck Donna
    I will get my shoes ready so I can walk with you. I'm sure the suvivors who get your hats will be very happy. You are very generous to do that.

Hugs.
    Georgia
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    ladyg said:

Good Luck Donna
    I will get my shoes ready so I can walk with you. I'm sure the suvivors who get your hats will be very happy. You are very generous to do that.

Hugs.
    Georgia

Donna .. You are truly beautiful inside and
    out. 20 pounds down, good for you! Another 'Relay', Congratulations!

How's retirement treating you?

Living Life .. after Breast Cancer -- the endless possibilities!

Vicki Sam
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    VickiSam said:

Donna .. You are truly beautiful inside and
    out. 20 pounds down, good for you! Another 'Relay', Congratulations!

How's retirement treating you?

Living Life .. after Breast Cancer -- the endless possibilities!

Vicki Sam

You are beautiful! Hoping
    You are beautiful! Hoping you have a beautiful day today for your Relay!

Hugs, Angie
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Thanks so much!
    For supporting our cause!

Kind regards, Susan
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Thanks so much!
    For supporting our cause!

Kind regards, Susan

How was the Relay Donna?
    Jan

How was the Relay Donna?

Jan
  • BlownAway60

How was the Relay Donna?
    Jan

How was the Relay Donna?

Jan

My Relay was great but it
    My Relay was great but it was really hot. I live in south Florida and it was well into the 80s and darn if it didn't rain right when the relay was supposed to begin so it was hot and humid. I gave away 29 of my 40 hats. I just walked around and anyone that I saw that had a purple shirt on I asked them if they would like a hat. Several survivors wanted to give me a contribution but I told them "No Thanks, this was my way of giving back". The hats that I did not give away will be donated to La Leaguea. They are a local CTU that only accepts people who do not have insurance or no means of paying for their treatment. Most of them do not speak english and I do not speak spanish. I just hold up a hat and they raise their hand if they want it. I have already given them about 75 hats. I will make more to add to the 11 that I have left from our relay, just to make sure I have at least 25 to give to them.

I am also making another 40 to give to Miami Childrens Hospital CTU. I have hand made and give away over 400 hats since I finished chemo last year in Feb. It just makes me feel so good to be able to do this for my kindred spirits. I love the look on their faces when they realize they are free.

The wife of one of the men that I gave a hat to came up to me and told me thank you so much and that her husband had been looking for something to keep his head warm. It was his second chemo. She then said you don't know how much it means to him and I took her hand and said yes I do and showed her the scar where I had just had my port removed. She almost cried. That's the reason I do this. Not for the praise but because it touches my heart.

Hugs to all

Donna
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

My Relay was great but it was really hot. I live in south Florida and it was well into the 80s and darn if it didn't rain right when the relay was supposed to begin so it was hot and humid. I gave away 29 of my 40 hats. I just walked around and anyone that I saw that had a purple shirt on I asked them if they would like a hat. Several survivors wanted to give me a contribution but I told them "No Thanks, this was my way of giving back". The hats that I did not give away will be donated to La Leaguea. They are a local CTU that only accepts people who do not have insurance or no means of paying for their treatment. Most of them do not speak english and I do not speak spanish. I just hold up a hat and they raise their hand if they want it. I have already given them about 75 hats. I will make more to add to the 11 that I have left from our relay, just to make sure I have at least 25 to give to them.

I am also making another 40 to give to Miami Childrens Hospital CTU. I have hand made and give away over 400 hats since I finished chemo last year in Feb. It just makes me feel so good to be able to do this for my kindred spirits. I love the look on their faces when they realize they are free.

The wife of one of the men that I gave a hat to came up to me and told me thank you so much and that her husband had been looking for something to keep his head warm. It was his second chemo. She then said you don't know how much it means to him and I took her hand and said yes I do and showed her the scar where I had just had my port removed. She almost cried. That's the reason I do this. Not for the praise but because it touches my heart.

Hugs to all

Donna

Donna,
    Your generosity, love and commitment to making 'our' world a better place - makes my heart dance with happiness! I am in awe of you, dear Sister.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Vicki Sa m
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Hugs to all

Donna

You just touched my heart
    You just touched my heart Donna by what you wrote. You are amazing!

Hugs, Kylez
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Kylez said:

You just touched my heart
    You just touched my heart Donna by what you wrote. You are amazing!

Hugs, Kylez

You are so generous, so
    You are so generous, so thoughtful and just a wonderful pink sister Donna!

Thank you for everything you did!

Hugs, Lex
  • LYaklin
    LYaklin Member Posts: 16

Hugs to all

Donna

There is just something about RFL that cannot be put into words accurately. People have to experience it to understand, ya know? Last year's Relay was hard for me. It was my 2nd year as a survivor, but my 1st walking without my mom whom we had formed the team in 2006 in honor of. I am however immensely grateful I did get to take my 1st lap as a survivor holding mom's hand.

This year, I am chairing the survivor committee. Ironically, my co-chair and I are going through chemo together. This will be her first year as a survivor! It will be an honor to walk with her. I am coordinating the ceremony while she is hosting the reception. I came up with the idea that I want every participant in the survivor ceremony to be a survivor and I am so amped up about it. Even my guest singer is a survivor! Just figure it will show new survivors, as well as everyone else, that cancer is a word, not a sentence.

Kudos to you for the special person you are, and keep up the great work!

L