How many of us Knew it?

Options
Lighthouse_7
Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
In response to another post...What were you're first words........some of us posted "I knew it".
It got me to thinking just how many of us Knew it.
For what ever reason, it doesn't matter. No need to even explain if you don't want to.

For me I saw a white mass on the monitor of the mammo. It was turned towards me. Then they immediately moved me into another room for an ultrasound guided biopsy.
A couple of days later when i got the call...I already knew.

Thanks,
Wanda

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I knew
    Within about a week I went from nothing to large node under arm, enlarged breast and inverted nipple so was basically sure then. Saw PA in the morning - her face told me. That afternoon I was at Radiology for a Mammo - then a Sono and biopsyies - Dr D said that he'd call me in the morning when he got the path but he was sure what it'd be - he was right.
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    YES...
    When they did the ultrasound for me, I knew it. I saw it and I noticed how they technician concentrated on that spot, and pressing down hard. I turned around and saw how the tumor was not round, but had uneven margins. That's when I knew. Two days later I went for my vacation at an island which I had booked two weeks prior to me finding the lump. I didn't enjoy my time at all, thinking about the biopsy they were going to do to me after my return.
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Rague said:

I knew
    Within about a week I went from nothing to large node under arm, enlarged breast and inverted nipple so was basically sure then. Saw PA in the morning - her face told me. That afternoon I was at Radiology for a Mammo - then a Sono and biopsyies - Dr D said that he'd call me in the morning when he got the path but he was sure what it'd be - he was right.

Me Too
    I was getting my routine annual mamo. The tech took the x-rays to check to make sure they were OK for the radiologist to read. Sitting there, waiting for her to come back and tell me I could leave, this awful feeling washed over me that this time I would be getting bad news. I had nothing to base this feeling on so it was very strange. Unfortunately, my feeling or premonition was right on.

Hugs, Sally
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options

YES...
    When they did the ultrasound for me, I knew it. I saw it and I noticed how they technician concentrated on that spot, and pressing down hard. I turned around and saw how the tumor was not round, but had uneven margins. That's when I knew. Two days later I went for my vacation at an island which I had booked two weeks prior to me finding the lump. I didn't enjoy my time at all, thinking about the biopsy they were going to do to me after my return.

I've always known
    I'd end up with breast cancer. It devoured my mother, took my best friend. I just didn't know when. I've had call backs before, but when I watched my GP read and reread something so interesting in my chart, I knew.

And here's a story for you: before my friend died, we decided she'd send me a sign from heaven -- a "butt load" of doves is what we chose. Well, over the years, there was a dove or two and once a big pile of Terra cotta doves in the patio section of a store which made me laugh, thinking she was practicing. A month or so before my diagnosis, my husband and I were walking (on Summit Avenue, no less) and I kid you not, hundreds and hundreds of doves following us, a veritable "butt load."

I think she was telling me something. And I apologize if anyone's offended by b*** load, it's just I told her to make sure she sent enough so I'd know it was her and she said fine, I'll send you a butt load.

xoxo
    Victoria
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    Options
    I was back and forth while
    I was back and forth while waiting for the results of my biopsy. One day I was sure I had cancer, the next day I was sure I wasn't. The day I had my appointment to get the news (surgeon doesn't give results over the phone) I happened to be so sure that I didn't have it, that I told DH to not bother leaving work to join me there (the appointment was a re-schedule at the last minute). Needless to say, I do regret that decision and so does he.

Nancy
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    When I got a call
    a few days after my mammo saying I needed to come back for more pictures. At first I just said "Oh did they not get a good shot of the fibroid cysts on the right side". She hesitated and then said no it was for the left side. That is when I knew it.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • em h
    em h Member Posts: 23
    Options
    I knew something was wrong
    I knew something was wrong with me before I felt the lump in my breast. The second my fingertips touched that lump I realized I had cancer.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    I Knew It!
    My Mom and my sister both had it and both got it at the age of 40. I was heading to bed one night when my inner arm brushed my breast and I felt the lump, my heart sunk I knew it. I went upstairs and told my husband it was there, he assured me we don't know for sure but I did!

RE
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    RE said:

I Knew It!
    My Mom and my sister both had it and both got it at the age of 40. I was heading to bed one night when my inner arm brushed my breast and I felt the lump, my heart sunk I knew it. I went upstairs and told my husband it was there, he assured me we don't know for sure but I did!

RE

I was becoming more and more
    I was becoming more and more concerned about getting it again. I was looking for a propholactic mastectomy. I felt this urgent sense. My mammos had been neg. I had numerous breast exams that year. I was told no emergency. 3 months later I felt a lump. I wished it wasnt, but I think I knew all along. If it makes any sense.
  • Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320
    Options
    carkris said:

I was becoming more and more
    I was becoming more and more concerned about getting it again. I was looking for a propholactic mastectomy. I felt this urgent sense. My mammos had been neg. I had numerous breast exams that year. I was told no emergency. 3 months later I felt a lump. I wished it wasnt, but I think I knew all along. If it makes any sense.

I suspected it when the
    I suspected it when the Ultrasound Tech wouldn't look at me. I knew it when they said I needed to see the surgeon.

Dianne
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    Options
    I had inflammatory breast cancer.....
    and it grows in sheets, not lumps. I knew when the girl left the room with my exrays to show the radiologist. When she came back she made me promise her that I wouldn't let them overlook this because it had grown in sheets instead of a lump. I knew from the urgency in her voice. I started chemo the next week.
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

I had inflammatory breast cancer.....
    and it grows in sheets, not lumps. I knew when the girl left the room with my exrays to show the radiologist. When she came back she made me promise her that I wouldn't let them overlook this because it had grown in sheets instead of a lump. I knew from the urgency in her voice. I started chemo the next week.

Wow, 12 of us so far.
    Wow, 12 of us so far. Interesting. I thought I was weird when I said I had it before I got pathology results.
    Just one more thing that we Kindred Spirits have in common.
    Thanks for responding.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I did not think anything was wrong.
    Year prior to my BC I was called back for follow up mammo cuz they saw something! I went right back in day or two....all was ok-what they saw was from seatbelt after I was rear-ended...so when they called me back the next year I said NO biggie...while in for test I said I am sure all is okay..they said we dnot' think so...then I was told to go for biopsy-which I did..I told them the same..I am sure nothing...next I was told to see surgeon.

so UNTIL i sat in surgeons office with hubby and good friend (BC servior) and heard the words YOUR survival RATE ....it hit me...first time I teared up...from there on A blurr of conversation.

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    ladyg said:

When I got a call
    a few days after my mammo saying I needed to come back for more pictures. At first I just said "Oh did they not get a good shot of the fibroid cysts on the right side". She hesitated and then said no it was for the left side. That is when I knew it.

Hugs,
    Georgia

Georgia@
    you sound kind of like how I thought...
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I knew it when i first found
    I knew it when i first found this lump that felt as big as a ping pong ball. When I went in for my mammogram, then they said I needed an ultrasound -right then and there. I could tell by the way the radiologist and ultrasound tech were talking to me -i had my kids with me and the tech at one point had tears in her eyes. It was cemented right then for me. I knew i had cancer before I even had my biopsy. When my mom was called in for a repeat mammogram, I went with her, I was well into chemo & bald. When they also had her have an ultrasound that day, and I was in the SAME room, with the SAME tech, I knew that she had cancer too.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    by instinct
    I knew it by instinct. I had slight pain in that breast but not at the site of the thickess. I had been forgetting to do my self exam most of the time as I went through menopause and my period acted as a reminder to do them in the next week. I would remember about 2-3 times a year durring my shower. I knew something was not right and mentioned to DH that I should get a mamogram whether it was time or not. The next week I got the annual reminder postcard and hopped right on it. I knew something was wrong even without doing a self exam.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options

by instinct
    I knew it by instinct. I had slight pain in that breast but not at the site of the thickess. I had been forgetting to do my self exam most of the time as I went through menopause and my period acted as a reminder to do them in the next week. I would remember about 2-3 times a year durring my shower. I knew something was not right and mentioned to DH that I should get a mamogram whether it was time or not. The next week I got the annual reminder postcard and hopped right on it. I knew something was wrong even without doing a self exam.

Me too
    When I got the call back after the mammo for an ultrasound and then the biopsy I knew. The day I got the call I was still hoping no but, deep inside I just knew. God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

Me Too
    I was getting my routine annual mamo. The tech took the x-rays to check to make sure they were OK for the radiologist to read. Sitting there, waiting for her to come back and tell me I could leave, this awful feeling washed over me that this time I would be getting bad news. I had nothing to base this feeling on so it was very strange. Unfortunately, my feeling or premonition was right on.

Hugs, Sally

I had no idea. I got blind
    I had no idea. I got blind sided with the news.

Lex
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Blown Away
    I didn't know. I was blown away when I heard the news. I have known several family members and friends who went for biopsies and were told it was a false alarm. I thought for sure I'd fall into that camp... little did I know my world, as I knew it, would forever change.

I got through it and am moving FORWARD!
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    Good question
    I was so dumb even when they called me back for the second mammo two days later, all I thought was "dense breast tissue". I got so angry when the radiologist came in and said cancer with no biopsy -- my first thought was why would we need further testing if you're so smart and can tell from the mammo and why aren't you rich doing this. I of course didn't want to think about the fact that he'd seen thousands of these and COULD tell. When the ultra sound tech said the same thing, I finally gave in and gave up the hope of dense breast tissue.

marge