How many of us Knew it?

Options
2»

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options

Blown Away
    I didn't know. I was blown away when I heard the news. I have known several family members and friends who went for biopsies and were told it was a false alarm. I thought for sure I'd fall into that camp... little did I know my world, as I knew it, would forever change.

I got through it and am moving FORWARD!

Not a clue!
    Even after my biopsy--I really thought it was nothing serious. I'd had a breast cyst before. My husband and I went to my surgeon's office to get the news laughing, smiling, and I even brought the office a tray of cookies because I was sure I wouldn't be seeing them for awhile after he told me everything was okay!

Well, as soon as he walked in, with that horrible look on his face, then I knew. Needless to say, we did not walk out laughing and smiling.

But--I'm laughing and smiling once again.

Hugs, Renee
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Options

Good question
    I was so dumb even when they called me back for the second mammo two days later, all I thought was "dense breast tissue". I got so angry when the radiologist came in and said cancer with no biopsy -- my first thought was why would we need further testing if you're so smart and can tell from the mammo and why aren't you rich doing this. I of course didn't want to think about the fact that he'd seen thousands of these and COULD tell. When the ultra sound tech said the same thing, I finally gave in and gave up the hope of dense breast tissue.

marge

gobsmacked
    is that a real word?!! totally clueless...
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    jendrey said:

gobsmacked
    is that a real word?!! totally clueless...

I noticed a very small
    I noticed a very small indentation on my left breast the first time I did a for real breast self exam. When I touched it I could feel a lump beneath. I knew then. I had a mammo 6 months prior that was clean, and really, the indentation could only be seen if the light hit it right. I believe God led me to it early. My sister was 4 years out from her BC diagnosis at the time. She had a much more pronounced 'dent' in her breast, but I knew the moment I saw mine what it was.
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I knew in my SOUL
    I had been sick for years not months and the hip pain was unreal. I had found a small lump on a holiday because my breast was sore. It was only 6 months later when another lump grew in armpit in less than a week to size of golfball. My health was failing me no one had to tell me why though I had sought help for a long time.
    Tara
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I knew it. When I felt a
    I knew it. When I felt a lump in August 1986, alarm bells just went off: a painless thickening, no borders, slowly enlarging. It still took me until February 1987 to see my doc because, part of me wanted to believe I was too young. Dumb, dumb!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Wanda
    I already knew when my surgeon called after the biopsy. I think I knew as soon as my gyn said he felt a lump.
    Char
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I had an idea when I showed
    I had an idea when I showed it to my gp and looked at his face. Then knew when the ultra sound tech called in a radiologist from another hospital. Then he told me. I wasn't too surprised that it was, but surprised when he thought it was in the chest wall. I found the lump in September of 2001, had cysts before that went away, this one didn't it was hard didn't hurt, and was getting bigger. It was January when I saw my gp and showed him the lump! Next day when I had the mammo.

With the mets, I was totally knocked over!

~Carol
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169
    Options
    I suspected. No lump that
    I suspected. No lump that could be felt. Just something didn't seem right.
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    canoegirl said:

I suspected. No lump that
    I suspected. No lump that could be felt. Just something didn't seem right.

I knew it
    I knew it because my mom survived 60 years, my niece is a 6 year survivor and I had benign breast tumors and cysts since 20.Also had been through stress the year before, lost weight and 5 months before dx my grandson elbowed my breast(the one that had the benign tumors and cysts).I was doomed.I always said if I ever get cancer it will be in my left breast.

BUT my breast surgeon for some reason delayed my needle biopsy with the radiologist doctor. I got letters from the breast center, I called my doctor 3 times and also my doc got calls from the radiologist(breast center) wanting him to get with it. It was 6 weeks before the biopsy was done.Then I was called in to see my doctor.I went myself.My breast surgeon told me and he had a female doctor standing nearby.

I had 1/2 centimeter malignant tumor removed 2 months after it was found. I had a good report(if there is such a thing) so I stayed with my breast surgeon. He talks,listens and watches me closely now. AND I was put in 2 other scares when 1 tumor was found when they were prepping me for my first surgery and another tumor was found just 2 days (by me) before my second surgery to check margins.BOTH were benign.

You can imagine the trauma and fear I went through and I was helpless for 6 weeks before things got started.My first thought too after the other tumors(benign)were found"Did it spread"???

Lynn Smith
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

by instinct
    I knew it by instinct. I had slight pain in that breast but not at the site of the thickess. I had been forgetting to do my self exam most of the time as I went through menopause and my period acted as a reminder to do them in the next week. I would remember about 2-3 times a year durring my shower. I knew something was not right and mentioned to DH that I should get a mamogram whether it was time or not. The next week I got the annual reminder postcard and hopped right on it. I knew something was wrong even without doing a self exam.

I had a funny feeling just
    I had a funny feeling just by the way the tech started acting. Guess those little hunches we have are right. :(

Sue :(
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

I knew it
    I knew it because my mom survived 60 years, my niece is a 6 year survivor and I had benign breast tumors and cysts since 20.Also had been through stress the year before, lost weight and 5 months before dx my grandson elbowed my breast(the one that had the benign tumors and cysts).I was doomed.I always said if I ever get cancer it will be in my left breast.

BUT my breast surgeon for some reason delayed my needle biopsy with the radiologist doctor. I got letters from the breast center, I called my doctor 3 times and also my doc got calls from the radiologist(breast center) wanting him to get with it. It was 6 weeks before the biopsy was done.Then I was called in to see my doctor.I went myself.My breast surgeon told me and he had a female doctor standing nearby.

I had 1/2 centimeter malignant tumor removed 2 months after it was found. I had a good report(if there is such a thing) so I stayed with my breast surgeon. He talks,listens and watches me closely now. AND I was put in 2 other scares when 1 tumor was found when they were prepping me for my first surgery and another tumor was found just 2 days (by me) before my second surgery to check margins.BOTH were benign.

You can imagine the trauma and fear I went through and I was helpless for 6 weeks before things got started.My first thought too after the other tumors(benign)were found"Did it spread"???

Lynn Smith

I found a lump under armpit
    I found a lump under armpit when I was taking a shower. It was shocking. My family and I hoped that it could be an infection. I moved to lumpectomy without core biopsy.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

I did not think anything was wrong.
    Year prior to my BC I was called back for follow up mammo cuz they saw something! I went right back in day or two....all was ok-what they saw was from seatbelt after I was rear-ended...so when they called me back the next year I said NO biggie...while in for test I said I am sure all is okay..they said we dnot' think so...then I was told to go for biopsy-which I did..I told them the same..I am sure nothing...next I was told to see surgeon.

so UNTIL i sat in surgeons office with hubby and good friend (BC servior) and heard the words YOUR survival RATE ....it hit me...first time I teared up...from there on A blurr of conversation.

Denise

It was found thru just a
    It was found thru just a yearly mammo.

Jan
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Not me!
    I never thought it would be me. I had mammo's religiously. Had microcalcifications and stereotactics twice - both negative. Maybe the third time is the charm....

Sue
  • cejota
    cejota Member Posts: 24
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Not me!
    I never thought it would be me. I had mammo's religiously. Had microcalcifications and stereotactics twice - both negative. Maybe the third time is the charm....

Sue

I knew it.....
    I found a lump three months after mammo.....radiologist did ultasound (after 6:00 on a Friday!) Insisted on doing a biopsy (after 7:00).....that's when I knew. I knew also because it was grandma, mom, aunt, sister.....still a shocking diagnosis!
    Chris
  • leabow
    leabow Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Rague said:

I knew
    Within about a week I went from nothing to large node under arm, enlarged breast and inverted nipple so was basically sure then. Saw PA in the morning - her face told me. That afternoon I was at Radiology for a Mammo - then a Sono and biopsyies - Dr D said that he'd call me in the morning when he got the path but he was sure what it'd be - he was right.

I knew for a year,but could
    I knew for a year,but could not get the radiologist to believe me. He said it was just a blocked duct as did my internist. I finally went crazy in the office and insisted on a biopsy. It had started out 4mm and had grown to 1.8cm. It was under the nipple and hard to see but easy to feel. The lesson that I learned is always follow your gut feeling.
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    I knew
    I had I B C. and i told my onc what ever it takes lets go for it. I have been clean now 3 years.
  • pbrndm5
    pbrndm5 Member Posts: 83
    Options
    cejota said:

I knew it.....
    I found a lump three months after mammo.....radiologist did ultasound (after 6:00 on a Friday!) Insisted on doing a biopsy (after 7:00).....that's when I knew. I knew also because it was grandma, mom, aunt, sister.....still a shocking diagnosis!
    Chris

Had no clue at first
    Went for a routine mammogram..Radiologist said he saw something-did another mammy immediately. Then came into the room and said they would do a sonogram.Still no be deal, my sister has beningn cists in her breast and had been rechecked before and everything was fine. Then, they said I needed a core biopsy and I should have it done now.. Then I knew--I left the office and immediately called my hubby and said I have cancer. Received the for sure results a day later......