A little kindness goes a long way....remembering those who exemplified it.

2bhealed
2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
Hello you wonderful Semi-colons!

I want to share my appreciation for those on this board who showed love and respect to me and others over the years. Many of you have challenged me in ways that forced growth and understanding, but you did it in such a kind way, or humorous way, that connections were made and friendships blossomed.

When we share our stories on here we are stepping out, trusting strangers to be kind in response, with what we hold near and dear whether it be our faith or our choices. Occasionally there are times when that trust is broken, harsh words are exchanged, feelings are hurt but we learn quickly who is to be trusted and who is not.

Many of us have our less-than-wonderful moments because we are vulnerable to the emotions that a cancer diagnosis brings and we lash out or act like jerks, but my guess is that most of us are not really jerks IRL; we're just scared or angry or frustrated.

I want to remember a few who went beyond normal decency and never faltered publicly to show love and kindness toward the rest of us:

Nanuk, Bud, was so near and dear to my heart. His loyalty and love, generosity and kindness knew no bounds. He had my back. Always. He touched my heart so profoundly when he drove over 600 miles out of his way to come visit me in Northern Minnesota on his way to Texas for a colonpalooza. Thankfully before he died we were able to spend some heartfelt moments on the phone and I was able to tell him how much his friendship meant to me and that I would see him on the other side. He didn't believe in all that but he never once faulted me or shamed me for believing. Ever. He never condemned me for anything I believed in. Bud was a true gentleman.

And then there was Kerry--ever the lady who embodied grace no matter what horrific personal crisis with which she was dealing. Her love and concern for others was tangible through her posts as was her courage. It was my loss that I was not able to travel to Texas to meet a great lady.

Sweet Baby Girl Andrea was the epitome of youthful will and energy and focused determination. You always knew when she breezed into the discussion because her spirit was a force to be reckoned with 'til the very end. She as going to get her Masters Degree if it was the last thing she did.

Kimby made us laugh and lighten up. Her humor and upbeat attitude was infectious and drew us to her like bees to honey. She was the kind of woman that I wanted as my BFF. She rocked these boards bringing such a uniqueness that has yet to be duplicated.

There have been many others; and though I do not mention them that doesn't mean they weren't significant, au contraire, each has been.

And to those still here, I thank you for bringing your own distinctive flavor, your willingness to share your stories, your lives, your struggles and your victories. It is no small feat. I hope we can collectively respect and honor each
others story. It is something I can aspire to following the example of Bud, Kerry, Andrea and Kimby.

peace, emily

Comments

• MrsJP
    MrsJP Member Posts: 157
    Thankyou! For sharing, and
    Thankyou! For sharing, and caring. You have inspired me and given me hope. "Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews
    jp
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    MrsJP said:

Thankyou! For sharing, and caring. You have inspired me and given me hope. "Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews
    jp

Thanks.
    Emily, you are my inspiration. No matter how many push backs you have received over the years, you have continued to help others who seek your advice. I share your beliefs, that I am still here speaks for itself. I may have a relapse, but I have been here longer then I first anticipated. I don't post as often as I once did, but I still lurk to ensure questions are being answered for the newbies. As you say, it is frustrating at times.

You and Scouty rock! Thank you! Raquel
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Emily
    Emily,
    I smile when I see one of your posts and I can't wait to read your words. Thank you for sharing about those lovely people. It is so true that we all leave a mark on each other even if it is here in cyberspace.
    I hope you are staying warm my friend. Spring will be here soon.

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    Nice Post
    There definitely have been so many (some here and some not) that have helped lighten the load. It is always inspiring to see people find light in the middle of darkness

P.S. I am from Northern MN too, I grew up in Ely and I still drive up there to see my family once in a while.
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Emily
    When I was first diagnosed I read and read and read, looking for hope and good advice. I always found your posts to have both and I always open a thread that I see you have responded to. Keep up the good work (as if you would do otherwise....) and thank you.

Amy
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    That is such a sweet post,
    That is such a sweet post, full of wonderful thoughts.

Gail
  • 2bhealed

Nice Post
    There definitely have been so many (some here and some not) that have helped lighten the load. It is always inspiring to see people find light in the middle of darkness

P.S. I am from Northern MN too, I grew up in Ely and I still drive up there to see my family once in a while.

Ely? Really?!
    Wow how cool is that? Ely is one of my favorite places. Going to Ely for the Mukluk Ball put on by Steger Mukluks was on my bucket list (don't laugh). My hubby and I would go every year for quite a few years as our weekend get away to ski and shop and dance in our mukluks! HA!

One of my sled dogs now lives in Ely with her new family--we moved and I had to find homes for my team (or what was left of them). I named one of my other sleddies Ely in honor of that wonderfully magic sled dog town. He was a big part of my cancer healing team. He was hit by a logging truck last year which broke my heart, but his spirit stays close.

Anyway, you lucky duck that you're from there. We spent 6 years in Two Harbors during our MN stint. Fabulous years in my dream log cabin on the edge of the wilderness.....nothing beats a day of skiing and an evening in the sauna!

peace, emily
  • 2bhealed
    MrsJP said:

jp

Hope
    It's what we can freely give and means so much.

:-)
  • 2bhealed

Emily
    Emily,
    I smile when I see one of your posts and I can't wait to read your words. Thank you for sharing about those lovely people. It is so true that we all leave a mark on each other even if it is here in cyberspace.
    I hope you are staying warm my friend. Spring will be here soon.

Aloha,
    Kathleen

So glad
    that I can make you smile from way over here! Heading south to some sun tomorrow.

• 2bhealed
    mom_2_3 said:

Emily
    When I was first diagnosed I read and read and read, looking for hope and good advice. I always found your posts to have both and I always open a thread that I see you have responded to. Keep up the good work (as if you would do otherwise....) and thank you.

Amy

Happy to have helped!
    When I first came on here in 2001 it was slim pickin's to find either hope or advice. I am so glad times have changed and there are many wonderful people helping others to walk this path.

peace, emily
  • 2bhealed
    plh4gail said:

That is such a sweet post,
    That is such a sweet post, full of wonderful thoughts.

Gail

Thank you.
  • sasjourney
    sasjourney Member Posts: 395 Member
    You are also one of those special people
    Emily,

Your sweet posts talks about the kindness of some special people that you aspire to be like. Well, you are one of them. You have taken the time, despite having a large family and busy life, to offer hope, encouragement, advice and love to those struggling with this disease. I imagine it would be easy to want to put all this behind you, not think about cancer, and just move on with your life. But you have stayed visible and offer so much to us. I appreciate all the help and encouragement you have given me this past year. I juice everyday because of you. You have also given me hope for a future which I have failed to receive from the medical profession. You and Scouty are amazing ladies and are truly loved by so many people.

Thank YOU for the love and kindness that you have shown us.

Hugs,
    Sara
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Hi Emily
    Hi Emily,

This is very nice that you are giving this tribute. I do look forward to each post you make- you always seem to have wise words of wisdom. We had an interesting beginning when I first came on the board, as you probably remember, but I have learned much and believe I have grown much as a person during this time. I enjoyed meeting Lisa P./Scouty over the phone yesterday & would enjoy talking with you someday, perhaps too. :)
    Keep being an inspiration- many, many appreciate what you have to say.

Cheers!
    Lisa
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    2bhealed said:

Thank you.

Thank you for always being involved when I was .......
    first placed in this arena...This is certainly not easy for anyone, but after you meet some of the original ones that are still here it seems to take on a serene more peaceful place where its like a family reunion everyday....You,Scouty,Ron,Phil,Kimby,KathiM etc, all have your personalities and each different, but they all intertwined to make the newbies (as I was) feel like it was more brother and sister than complete stranger bantering...and it was addicting, simply because you could feel the warmth and love for each other that people coming in here for the initial visits felt and vitally needed. I want to personally thank you for being an unspoken hero to all of us, especially me, as well as the others who were here when I came in dire need of solace and comfort and answers, and found everything I needed in the blink of an eye.......Peace Juice Chick, and many many thanks to you and your comrades................buzz
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member

You are also one of those special people
    Emily,

Your sweet posts talks about the kindness of some special people that you aspire to be like. Well, you are one of them. You have taken the time, despite having a large family and busy life, to offer hope, encouragement, advice and love to those struggling with this disease. I imagine it would be easy to want to put all this behind you, not think about cancer, and just move on with your life. But you have stayed visible and offer so much to us. I appreciate all the help and encouragement you have given me this past year. I juice everyday because of you. You have also given me hope for a future which I have failed to receive from the medical profession. You and Scouty are amazing ladies and are truly loved by so many people.

Thank YOU for the love and kindness that you have shown us.

Hugs,
    Sara

emily
    i have never really got to know you over these last few years but i always look forward to reading your posts.you have given so much to this board.you and scouty are just a few, of who us stage4 and many others really look up to.my hopes and dreams are that we can all fall in your footsteps in someway with the ultimate goal of being NED forever....Godbless...johnnybegood
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893

emily
    i have never really got to know you over these last few years but i always look forward to reading your posts.you have given so much to this board.you and scouty are just a few, of who us stage4 and many others really look up to.my hopes and dreams are that we can all fall in your footsteps in someway with the ultimate goal of being NED forever....Godbless...johnnybegood

Thanks for being here, Emily!
    Thanks for being here, Emily!

Lizzy
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Nice post!
    Emily,

This is a nice post + beautiful tribute to some people who have made this journey a little easier for you. You make this journey a little easier to me, with your positive vibes + information. Thanks for being you + for continuing to participate.
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Hey Girlfriend
    Great post!

Bud was amazing and a great dancer! remember how mad he would get at the old CSN board as we outgrew it and was having so many problems. My first memory of Bud was back when I had so many questions and he would research and attach links for anything and everything people asked about. If it was a controversial topic, he would post all sides and show no bias, he simply let you read and decide on your own which was perfect for my chemo brain. At CP 3 @ Austin in 2006, he treated Linda, who had lost her husband to the beast earlier in the year, to a spa day the Saturday we were there. I had dinner with them that night and she glowed while he beamed. She was like a different person in every way and I swear he had halo over her head that night and you couldn't knock the smile off his face. One of the coolest things I've witnessed and it involved 2 people who had just met and it was not flirtacious or anything like that, it was just a very kind and thoughtful gesture.

With Kerry, every time I see a bag of cheetos I think of you and her and laugh!!! I talk to her all time and she will live in my heart forever.

I think I learned more grace under pressure from Andrea than I have from anyone in my life to date. For a young woman in her early 20's, she was truly special. Remember the whole purple gown and Barney thread as we all promised to be at her grad school graduation? I wish I had met her in person.

I'll mention another one just because I thought about her today. Jerseysue, from Michigan (she grew up in Jersey). She was one of the funniest people I have ever met. We both were in management at AT&T and it was great to have someone to talk about benefits, disability, etc. At CP 5 @ Nashville in 2007 a group of us occupied the back of the bar enjoying one of those dueling pianos shows and I was dancing with somebody and got videoed without knowing it. The next morning she told me she had seen it so I asked her how I did and her response was "not bad for a white girl" just as serious as she could. I almost wet my pants I was laughing so hard. So TODAY I'm running well jogging my favorite 3 mile mountain bike trail and had a personal best for my post cancer days! As I cooled down and was gving myself kudos, I swear I heard her say "not bad for a white girl". I smiled, then cried but it sure warmed my heart.

Thanks for the reminder that we are here to fight cancer and help each other. People do what they think is right for them at the time and no one should judge them for it no matter what that decision is. I feel strongly that each one of us need to have faith in whatever we do. I totally believe in attitude, laughing, faith (in something), and conviction. I had a great conversation with my onc once about his "miracle patients". He smiles his wiley smile and his eyes light up when he talks about them. But his definition was a patient doing really well that "I and the stats can't explain". He said all oncs have miracle patients so I think we all should ask our oncologists to tell us about 1 or 2 the next time we have an appt.

Have a safe trip and again thank you for helping me save my life!

Love, Lisa P.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Lovely
    Emily,

That was a very lovely post. It was so nice of you to recall some of the earlier folks who inspired you.

You are always so sweet and upbeat, and I love to see your picture. You look SO healthy! I have to think that part of the reason for your health is that you're so relaxed and peaceful and happy.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    G'day the juicing chick
    Hugs from downunder,if nothing else you have reminded me how proud and how dreadfully sad this board has made me over the years.love Ron.