my dog has cancer

Options
linpsu
linpsu Member Posts: 747
Just found out today that our 9-year-old yellow lab, Bodhi, has extensive and aggressive cancer in his stomach and lungs. Vet is recommending that we euthanize him before it gets much worse. He doesn't seem to be in too much pain yet, but vet is afraid he will go into seizures and it could get ugly. He is not eating, is very lethargic, and has an awful cough. If we knew he was in pain, we'd have it done sooner rather than later, but can't bring ourselves to do it quite yet.
This has been such a horrible day, to know that his life is in our hands. How do we know when it is time? I am crying just writing this, I am so upset.
Linda

Comments

• Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    Options
    I'm so sorry
    I am so sorry to hear about Bodhi. Our pets become part of our family and it's so hard when they become ill. I know this doesn't make you feel better, but I am sending you a big hug right now.

Hugs,

Dawne
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    Linda
    I am so sorry to hear about Bodhi. I can truly understand what you are going through. We had the same thing with our yellow lab a couple of years ago. She was 10 yrs. old. We had no idea that she was even sick until 3 weeks before she passed. We were going to have the vet come to our house to euthanize her. Before we did that she passed on her own. My husband and I were both with her at the end. It was very difficult. You will know in your heart when it is time to let him go.
    I still miss the one we lost although we do have another dog now but she is not a replacement just a different one. Try to stay strong although I know how hard it is.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    ladyg said:

Linda
    I am so sorry to hear about Bodhi. I can truly understand what you are going through. We had the same thing with our yellow lab a couple of years ago. She was 10 yrs. old. We had no idea that she was even sick until 3 weeks before she passed. We were going to have the vet come to our house to euthanize her. Before we did that she passed on her own. My husband and I were both with her at the end. It was very difficult. You will know in your heart when it is time to let him go.
    I still miss the one we lost although we do have another dog now but she is not a replacement just a different one. Try to stay strong although I know how hard it is.

Hugs,
    Georgia

I'm so very sorry
    Our pets are such a big part of our families and our lives. Your Bodhi knows you love him and it will take that love to help you through this difficult time and decision. We don't want them to suffer but we also don't want to lose them. You will know when that time comes. My thoughts are with you.
    Marsha
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Awwwh...
    I am so sorry. It is so hard to put down an animal. I had to do it with one
    of my rescue cats, he had a nasty disease called stomatitis, basically your
    gums are allergic to your teeth, he could not eat poor thing would just cry.
    I had all his teeth pulled, it did not help. And he was suffering, it was one
    of the hardest things I have done but I knew it was time and I had to do it.

9 years is a long time for that furry little stinker to grow on you, so I can
    only imagine how hard it must be for you. My friend's cat had cancer and
    it didn't want to eat my friend made her it and she did. Later the vet found
    cancer in her mouth as well. And he said that the cat must be in great pain
    and it is still eating nevertheless to please my friend.. that's how animals
    are selfless.

I know you'll do the right thing.

Love,
    Ayse
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

Awwwh...
    I am so sorry. It is so hard to put down an animal. I had to do it with one
    of my rescue cats, he had a nasty disease called stomatitis, basically your
    gums are allergic to your teeth, he could not eat poor thing would just cry.
    I had all his teeth pulled, it did not help. And he was suffering, it was one
    of the hardest things I have done but I knew it was time and I had to do it.

9 years is a long time for that furry little stinker to grow on you, so I can
    only imagine how hard it must be for you. My friend's cat had cancer and
    it didn't want to eat my friend made her it and she did. Later the vet found
    cancer in her mouth as well. And he said that the cat must be in great pain
    and it is still eating nevertheless to please my friend.. that's how animals
    are selfless.

I know you'll do the right thing.

Love,
    Ayse

Oh, dear
    I'm sorry. That hurts, I know.

xoxo
    Victoria
  • pinkapples
    pinkapples Member Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh
    How sad :( Sending {HUGS} your way; it's such a difficult situation. What a long day this must have been for you. Pets are so important and so easy to love! As hard as it is, I agree that you will know when it's time.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    BJ
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

Ohhhhh
    How sad :( Sending {HUGS} your way; it's such a difficult situation. What a long day this must have been for you. Pets are so important and so easy to love! As hard as it is, I agree that you will know when it's time.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    BJ

I'm SO sorry
    Having experienced this 3 times with our pets, my heart aches for you. However, I believe it is one of the kindest gifts we can give our animals when they are in pain and suffering and death is right around the corner. It is also one of the most difficult decisions we have to make. If it's too soon, your vet will tell you. An ethical vet will not euthanize a pet unless the end of that pet's life is very near and the animal is suffering. Keep loving the furry darling for the rest of his life here with you.

Hugs, Suzanne
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

I'm SO sorry
    Having experienced this 3 times with our pets, my heart aches for you. However, I believe it is one of the kindest gifts we can give our animals when they are in pain and suffering and death is right around the corner. It is also one of the most difficult decisions we have to make. If it's too soon, your vet will tell you. An ethical vet will not euthanize a pet unless the end of that pet's life is very near and the animal is suffering. Keep loving the furry darling for the rest of his life here with you.

Hugs, Suzanne

Sick pets
    I've had many pets throughout my life. I do rescue too. I've had sick cats and dogs come to me.Also had many that grew old.I never would be with my pets to put them to sleep.Always took them to the vet and let him put them down.Just couldn't see them at the end.Just something I thought I couldn't take.Well one of my cats had seizures.I thought she would get better. Got her home(after vet closed) and she became progressively worse.It was very hard on me to watch her and it was if she was wanting to go.I told her as soon as the vet's office opened next morning we would be the first there.She hadn't been able to walk or sit up but suddenly when the alarm went off she was up and turned to me as to say "Let's go"It's time. After many years of never being there when my pets were put to sleep I was able to do it that day. I regret all the ones that never got to see me in the end.Don't let that happen.I will never leave mine again for the vet to take on the task without me being with them. If there is time the vet gives me a few minutes to say Good Bye.

I understand you aren't ready but listen to the vet.You don't want your dog to go on his own during the night without you being there. You will want to hold him and tell him you love him. He will want to see your face in the end. Lynn
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    GENTLE HUGS
    Oh Linda I am so sorry to hear of this. I have had to have several cats and dogs put down over the years due to poor health and it is never easy but as loving friends we do find ourselves having to make this decision. I had a black lab that had stomach cancer, we had the tumor on his tummy removed and he lived comfortably for several more years. I know you will know in your heart when the comes to say good bye to your dear friend. My heart does go out to you and your family, love him, pet him and play with him while he is here, he knows your heart and knows you love him deeply.

RE
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Sick pets
    I've had many pets throughout my life. I do rescue too. I've had sick cats and dogs come to me.Also had many that grew old.I never would be with my pets to put them to sleep.Always took them to the vet and let him put them down.Just couldn't see them at the end.Just something I thought I couldn't take.Well one of my cats had seizures.I thought she would get better. Got her home(after vet closed) and she became progressively worse.It was very hard on me to watch her and it was if she was wanting to go.I told her as soon as the vet's office opened next morning we would be the first there.She hadn't been able to walk or sit up but suddenly when the alarm went off she was up and turned to me as to say "Let's go"It's time. After many years of never being there when my pets were put to sleep I was able to do it that day. I regret all the ones that never got to see me in the end.Don't let that happen.I will never leave mine again for the vet to take on the task without me being with them. If there is time the vet gives me a few minutes to say Good Bye.

I understand you aren't ready but listen to the vet.You don't want your dog to go on his own during the night without you being there. You will want to hold him and tell him you love him. He will want to see your face in the end. Lynn

Linda .. I am so sorry..
    Bodhi, so kind, trusted companion-- part of your family. Please be strong, knowing that you are doing the very best for Bodhi. ?Surgery, is that an option? sad news.

Again, I am so sorry.

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Awwh Linda im so sorry to
    Awwh Linda im so sorry to hear about Bodhi...i also had a very upsetting day today cuz i took my 14 year old cat into the vet today to find out she has kidney failure and probably wont be with us much longer and we too are tryin to decide when is the right time to put her down cuz we dont want her to suffer...so i feel your pain. Even though they may be animals they become part of our family...like one of our kids. Just think positive thoughts as they wont be suffering anymore...my thoughts and prayers are with you and Bodhi.
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Linda I am so very sorry to
    Linda I am so very sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you. I was a Vet tech for many years and please don't wait to long it will get ugly like your Vet said. If he is not eating he has already decided for himself. I know how much it hurts but lung cancer in dogs is always secondary so it started in the stomach or some place Else. My Lab died of this. I waited to long and you don't want that to be the last memory of your sweet Bodhi. Let him go sweetheart and hold him in your heart forever. All my Love Kay
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Linda...
    Our sweet Golden Retriever, Samantha, went through exactly the same thing. So incredibly similar.

Vets told us that she had lymphoma. We asked how long she had. They didn't know, but said that we would know when it was time.
    We agonized over when to have her euthanized. She then filled with fluid and her heart gave out when she got up to get a drink. From when she let on that something was wrong and was dx'd, she was only with us for 3 more days.

My best advice, from someone has who had many, many wonderful dogs, is that even though it is so terribly difficult and one of the saddest things that you will ever do, let your sweet Bodhi go before it gets worse. Especially if that is what your vets are saying (and you trust them). I say that because retrievers are very good at keeping pain to themselves. They will suffer in silence and you will not know just how much Bodhi is going through. And I say with all sincerity that our Samantha had been suffering for quite some time before we ever knew that something was wrong. She never let on until the cancer was so advanced that she suddenly filled with fluid and couldn't breathe. How we wish that we could have ended the suffering that she had to have been goung through sooner...but although she shared our home and our family, she just never acted sick.
    If you decide to wait, ask the vet for medication to make him as comfortable as possible, because I can guarantee you that he is in pain.

Whatever you decide to do, God bless you, your family and Bodhi....

Hugs,
    CR
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Compassion
    Bohdi will sense your compassion just by your demeanor and your voice. Animals are very sensetive and can sense our emotions. They don't like to see you upset any more than you like being upset. Bohdi will be able to sense that when you have him go in to the vet for this, that you are doing so out of love. Doing this out of love will be all that Bohdi cares about other than the releif of his own pain. He will know you understand.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    so sorry
    My dog some years ago..(black lab) had MOUTH cancer...we did put him to sleep...he was to the point her couldn't eat and if he got some down would vomit..

so hard to decided...

OUR WHOLE family went in with him...then we wrapped him in special blanket and took him home to bury him.

They are like family..so so hard to watch...I wish you the best...
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options

so sorry
    My dog some years ago..(black lab) had MOUTH cancer...we did put him to sleep...he was to the point her couldn't eat and if he got some down would vomit..

so hard to decided...

OUR WHOLE family went in with him...then we wrapped him in special blanket and took him home to bury him.

They are like family..so so hard to watch...I wish you the best...

So sorry
    I am so sorry for what you are going through. I had to have my boxer put to sleep 18 mos. ago because of cancer. I cried like a baby for days. She got so bad so fast. It was terrible. She was nearly 10 yrs.old so she had been with us for a long time. My son in law buried her for me in the backyard under a pecan tree. God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

So sorry
    I am so sorry for what you are going through. I had to have my boxer put to sleep 18 mos. ago because of cancer. I cried like a baby for days. She got so bad so fast. It was terrible. She was nearly 10 yrs.old so she had been with us for a long time. My son in law buried her for me in the backyard under a pecan tree. God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice

Linda .. Thinking of you today, Tuesday ... and
    hoping the very best for you, your family and bodhi.

Strength and prayers coming your direction.

Vicki Sam
  • anetnut
    anetnut Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this
    I'm so sorry to hear this Linda. I have been through this and regrettably did not make that tough decision. Even though the vet gave me injectable pain med to give our dog, it was a horrible experience and if I had to do it again, I'd have the vet put her out of her misery. It is such a difficult decision. You, your dog and your family will be in my prayers.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    I'm so sorry
    I'm so sorry you've gotten this news. I know you want to keep him around as long as possible if he's not in pain. Just a thought for you to consider. We have a lab/husky mix and he's epileptic. He's had seizures since he was about a year old. He takes meds and that keeps them down to a minimum. Our vet has explained that when he has one it's the equivalent of running a full marathon, and the rise in temperature and brain activity can literally fry his brain if the seizure goes on too long, or if he has more than one at a time.
    They're doable (funny how that's a normal word on this site) but if he has one and doesn't stop seizing in 2 - 3 minutes or has several in a row -- GET HIM TO YOUR VET. That could kill him.
    They're so hard to watch, all you can do is keep him from falling and hurting himself on stairs, etc and talk to him. Bear usually takes about a 1/2 hour to "come back" and recognize us and know where he is. His favorite spot to hide is our shower (his idea of a crate).
    I'm sorry you're faced with all this. Hope this info helps.

marge
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Let your heart be your
    Let your heart be your guide. It is very hard to do but there does come a time that the kindes thing we can give our beloved 4 - legged children is to give them a release from suffering.

I just lost my 14 y/o Gordon Setter, Sat. night - I was laying on the couch watching TV, Hubby was in his recliner. Cody came over and layed down next to the couch. I don't know exactly when he passed but when Hubby got up, he was gone. I'd had him 13 yrs and he had been a 'Pound Puppy' that Son saw in the paper as the "Pet of the Week" (reg. Gordon Setter with his papers) and got him for me. The day I got him, he was a rather sick 'puppy' - the HS gives you a chit to take them to local Vet to get them checked out - it was Wed. afternoon and all the vets I normally use were closed (except for emergencies) so I took him to the only one that was open. The Vet told me to take him back to the HS and get my money back - he was going to die. Obviously - he didn't - I called a Vet friend in FL who gave me a list of livestock meds and dosage to use that I could buy at the feed store to use - obviously he didn't die then.

Hubby lost his little Rez Puppy (mixed breed born on Pine Ridge Indian Reservation - hence Rez Puppy) to cancer in the time between me being DX'd and starting Chemo. There is a bit of positive though - the day before Surgery I stopped at the HS and there was a Black and Tan **** Hound there - the breed he wanted. Once I was in my room after surgery, I sent him (and Son) off to go see her. When he came back later he had gotten her but she had to sty there til Fri so she could be spayed. Stopped the next day to see her again when Son picked me up and she was ready to take home - they had already spayed her - BUT it didn't make sense to me to take home a dog I really did not know then being just out of mast. so he picked her up that night.

I am so sorry that you and your guy are going through such hard times don't dwell on this sad time but rather embrace all the good times ya'll have had. it does not take away the pain/the loss but it doea make it easier to bear (at least for me.

Prayers

Susan