Stage IV Survivors

2»

Comments

• luvmum
    luvmum Member Posts: 457 Member

3.5 years and still going
    Hello

Thanks for posting. I was diagnosed September 2007. They took out the tumor in my colon, did a resection but I have liver and rt. lung mets. I made a decision from the beginning, this isn't going to be the thing to bring me down. It's a rollercoaster ride. I have had some really bad days, physically (i.e. not being able to eat, fatigue) and emotionally (ie. depressed, crying, frightened). I have really good days and those just plain old normal days.

People tell me I have a really good attitude. Its not just about being positive, its about accepting what is and taking things a day at a time. The cancer is here and I have a choice of how I am going to deal with it. Sometimes when I get a "vacation" from the chemo, I forget I have it. As some other posters mentioned on here, I too stopped reading statistics. The first one I read was saying an 8% survival rate for Stage 4. It threw me into a tailspin. I found out later that was an old statistic. I don't saturate myself with too many "facts" about my cancer otherwise, it leaves me "staring" at it too much. I try to lead a normal life. I continue to work full time and when I am able, get out with friends and do things I love. I bought a kayak a year ago and recently, a small pickup to haul it. I discovered the spa and massages. Is that the best!!

Nobody knows what their expiration date is, cancer or not. If it hadn't been for you posting your question, I would not have read further down to others responses that gave me even MORE hope. Angels show up when you need them. Thank you.

Keep the faith and many blessings to you and your husband on your journey.

well-said
    Dear lightchaser,

Like what Anne said, I really like your post!!!! positive mind and attitudes are important!

Best wishes,
    Dora
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Almost 10 survivor
    I will be celebrating 10 yrs clear this October. I was stage 4 (liver mets). My doctor even used the word cured. I had chemo, surgery, and more chemo. I had an ileostomy for 9 months and it was reversed. I never did any alternative treatments. I had 5FU, Camptosar, and Leucovorin (lol...not even sure if I'm spelling those right, hadn't had to in SUCH a long time!) I never changed my diet, as it was never crazy out of whack in the first place. I always took vitamins and still do.

If my little success story helps pull just one person through this experience, then I am a happy little clam.

Happy Friday,

Stacy
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375

Almost 10 survivor
    I will be celebrating 10 yrs clear this October. I was stage 4 (liver mets). My doctor even used the word cured. I had chemo, surgery, and more chemo. I had an ileostomy for 9 months and it was reversed. I never did any alternative treatments. I had 5FU, Camptosar, and Leucovorin (lol...not even sure if I'm spelling those right, hadn't had to in SUCH a long time!) I never changed my diet, as it was never crazy out of whack in the first place. I always took vitamins and still do.

If my little success story helps pull just one person through this experience, then I am a happy little clam.

Happy Friday,

Stacy

Hey Stacy!
    Good to see you back on the forum!! Uh... well, I know ONE of those happy little blue shirted folk are you, isn't it?? :D:D

So wonderful to hear it's been 10 years and you are still as clear as a bell... and doing the happy clam dance :)

Cheryl
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member

Hey Stacy!
    Good to see you back on the forum!! Uh... well, I know ONE of those happy little blue shirted folk are you, isn't it?? :D:D

So wonderful to hear it's been 10 years and you are still as clear as a bell... and doing the happy clam dance :)

Cheryl

You too, Cheryl!!
    Good "seeing" you too, Cheryl!! I am in that picture...I am the blond on the far right, middle row, half standing/squatting. That pic was from the Nashville, TN palooza.