port problems

Options
since the day my port was put in (left arm) until it was removed (last june 2010) I have had problems with pain in arm and the veins in the left side of my neck protrude.
Has anyone else had anything like this? Am having ultrasound next week.

Comments

• HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I've not heard anything like
    I've not heard anything like that, but I'm curious to read what they find. :)

Good luck with your ultrasound. Please let us know what they find.
  • colon no more
    colon no more Member Posts: 12
    Options
    port
    they put my port right under my collar bone on the left side. I had no problem, but now that it's out, there is a sunk in place. Hope everything is ok with you. good luck
  • elizabethgd
    elizabethgd Member Posts: 145
    Options

port
    they put my port right under my collar bone on the left side. I had no problem, but now that it's out, there is a sunk in place. Hope everything is ok with you. good luck

thanks for comments..
    thanks for comments.. ultrasound tech. said she did not see blot clot ..but that I had extremely small veins.. but radiologist will read film and tell doc then doc will tell me..
    thanks again for comments..
  • NWGirl
    NWGirl Member Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    More port problems
    When my first port went in (November 2007) it worked fine until about round #7 of FOLFOX. I started having pain under/below my collar bone. I had a dye test, ultra sound - everything said "no problems"; but the pain continued to worsen until I couldn't stand it any longer. That port was pulled after round #10 and I finished up on Xeloda. The day the port came out I felt better. It took a couple of weeks to fully recover, maybe a bit longer, but I was okay after that.

Fast forward to today - port back in - same side but this time they used the vein in my neck instead of the one under my collar bone. From the moment I woke up from surgery my right numb felt numb. Pain and minor swelling now runs up and down my arm. Ultra sound last week - no blood clot. Dye test tomorrow (which I'm sure will show no problems). I suspect we'll have to pull the port from the right side and put it in the left - hope it works there.

I tried acupuncture - it didn't help. I sympathize with what you are going through and hope you find some relief soon. Port problems can be really hard to properly diagnose.

P.S. - I have very small veins too - maybe that has something to do with it(?)