Tumor or Tumour......either or....

Options
Buzzard
Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
I have noticed that Canucks spell it with a u in the end and I see we spell it without...OK, Im a dummy.I admit it..what gives...maybe a French connection ? love to all, duncebuzz.....lol

Comments

• christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    tumor or tumour still=oh
    tumor or tumour still=oh F*ck
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options

tumor or tumour still=oh

christine....

LOL......... love it....you crazy girl!

Jennie
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    English
    It's the English way! I've noticed the English spell favor "favour" & there's a few words I can't think of at the moment that they include a u after the o in.
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    lisa42 said:

English
    It's the English way! I've noticed the English spell favor "favour" & there's a few words I can't think of at the moment that they include a u after the o in.

Canadianese = British English spelling
    Canada has stronger ties to Britain than do the States. Our parliament system, cultures, foods, charter of rights, and education system is similar so when English is taught in school, it is taught the proper British way. Britain was the inventor of English, so any other forms are deviant from the original. Mind you, language, all languages, are forever a moving, changing entity. English back in Chaucer's day, or Shakespeare's day was very different than what it is as we know and understand it... and with the influx of other cultures coming into all our countries, language is constantly changing. So who knows what it will be like 200 years from now :)

Cheryl
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options

Canada has stronger ties to Britain than do the States. Our parliament system, cultures, foods, charter of rights, and education system is similar so when English is taught in school, it is taught the proper British way. Britain was the inventor of English, so any other forms are deviant from the original. Mind you, language, all languages, are forever a moving, changing entity. English back in Chaucer's day, or Shakespeare's day was very different than what it is as we know and understand it... and with the influx of other cultures coming into all our countries, language is constantly changing. So who knows what it will be like 200 years from now :)

Cheryl

No matter how you spell it, its still
    #%**&^@$^&&%$#$!!!!!!!!................steve

PS: if you take heartburn/GERD meds, reports saying they may/can deplete magnesium levels........

(sorry-regurgitation)
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options

Cheryl

PS: if you take heartburn/GERD meds, reports saying they may/can deplete magnesium levels........
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    coloCan said:

(sorry-regurgitation)

Hahahaha!
    Steve you are right!LOL!
  • luvmum
    luvmum Member Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    diarrhea or diarrhoea
    I also notice my friend from UK spell diarrhea (diarrhoea) with 'o'. I also don't know which one is correct...

Best wishes to you all!
    Dora
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

tumor or tumour still=oh

lol
    true...we say tumour in England. Potatoe, potato, lol please ignore me people I'm just going off on one. In English that means please ignore me I'm going off in circles, as I normally do.
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Hey Buzz
    We Canucks also spell like this: flavour, colour, odour, favour from our British roots. American influences (literature, spellcheck on computer) have affected this somewhat but I guess I have stuck to how I was taught in the dark ages.
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    coloCan said:

(sorry-regurgitation)

If you take heartburn/GERD
    If you take heartburn/GERD meds, then suspend the acid in your stomach that it needs to break down the food. I am on licorice root to try and get off them...

tumor is how my spell check spells it..
  • Buzzard
    Options
    AnneCan said:

Hey Buzz
    We Canucks also spell like this: flavour, colour, odour, favour from our British roots. American influences (literature, spellcheck on computer) have affected this somewhat but I guess I have stuck to how I was taught in the dark ages.

Thank you all for clearing that up...I feel so much smarter now.
    I really do thank all of you for the English lesson...but I do have 1 more comment....to Dora, I think that your friend in the UK.............just doesn't know how to spell diarrhea....LOL....kiddin sweetie.....tell him that "trots" is a lot easier to spell......hehe...sorry just had to do it....I know, shame on me....and Christine...LOL, what can I say !!! LMAO........

but sincerely, thanks to all............buzzour
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    Buzzard said:

Thank you all for clearing that up...I feel so much smarter now.
    I really do thank all of you for the English lesson...but I do have 1 more comment....to Dora, I think that your friend in the UK.............just doesn't know how to spell diarrhea....LOL....kiddin sweetie.....tell him that "trots" is a lot easier to spell......hehe...sorry just had to do it....I know, shame on me....and Christine...LOL, what can I say !!! LMAO........

but sincerely, thanks to all............buzzour

colour
    colour is the one that gets me.....my computer tells me every canuck spelling is wrong.

my hubby was a jounalist for 40 years and they used Canadian Press style....which still retains the u that is English but also a holdover from French....

and there my darling Buzz.....it's all clear as mud...sides you could not get any smarter.....too smart now

Christine.....good one!!!! lol

mags
  • Buzzard
    Options
    maglets said:

colour
    colour is the one that gets me.....my computer tells me every canuck spelling is wrong.

my hubby was a jounalist for 40 years and they used Canadian Press style....which still retains the u that is English but also a holdover from French....

and there my darling Buzz.....it's all clear as mud...sides you could not get any smarter.....too smart now

mags

Mags.....your avatar reminds me of a back porch with a....
    pond right there behind it...Its like something you walk out of french doors onto a back porch with hot coffee already made, croissants, or plain wheat toast with homemade apple butter...then let the early morning sun beat down on your face warming up the blood while you sip Kahlua and Cafe' Sello Rojo from Colombia. Then just lounge all day sleep through lunch, and then maybe try and do something, but NAWWWWWWW, the lounging sounds a lot better than trying to work.....It looks very relaxing and peaceful there........enjoy it....buzz

BTW.....need some more coffee Maam ?
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

tumor or tumour still=oh

Thank you Buzz for this post
    Thank you Buzz for this post to give Christine the opportunity to make me smile!!!!

Gail
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Options

tumor or tumour still=oh

Dang rights!! Love that!!

Dang rights!! Love that!!
  • maglets
    Options
    Buzzard said:

Mags.....your avatar reminds me of a back porch with a....
    pond right there behind it...Its like something you walk out of french doors onto a back porch with hot coffee already made, croissants, or plain wheat toast with homemade apple butter...then let the early morning sun beat down on your face warming up the blood while you sip Kahlua and Cafe' Sello Rojo from Colombia. Then just lounge all day sleep through lunch, and then maybe try and do something, but NAWWWWWWW, the lounging sounds a lot better than trying to work.....It looks very relaxing and peaceful there........enjoy it....buzz

BTW.....need some more coffee Maam ?

haha
    he brings me coffee every morning....that darling boy my DH.....sometimes it is 37 degrees////gotta stoke that woodstove.....grind the coffee in a hand mill....snuggle under 8 layers of quilts....

BTW....yup I could use another cup/////hugs Buzz

mags
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    maglets said:

colour

mags

Spell Check
    Usually there is a setting where you can choose American English or British English. That would fix the Canuck spelling issues.

:)
  • maglets
    Options
    Buckwirth said:

Spell Check
    Usually there is a setting where you can choose American English or British English. That would fix the Canuck spelling issues.

:)

excuse me
    fix??? hahah :)

have a hug buck

mags
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    Options
    tumour
    Once upon a time, English [u] was diphthongized to become [yu], and subsequently a long [o] was raised to become [u] (replacing the original [u]). The spelling convention using "ou" for [u] and "u" for [yu] is, I think, influenced by French spelling. But after "t/d/n" in American English, the [y] of [yu] was lost, leaving just the [u]. Thus "due" is [dyu] in British English, from earlier [du], but [du] in American English, also from earlier [du], but then [dyu], and subsequently [du] (by loss of [y] after t/d/n).

In the second, unstressed, syllable of "tumour", I don't see how the spelling difference "ou" British vs. "o" American can ever have had any connection with the pronunciation. I guess the vowel in Latin was long o, which, if it were stressed, in English would have been raised to [u], and then should be spelled "ou". But since it actually is not stressed, it would not have been raised to [u], so the "ou" spelling doesn't make any sense, so far as I can see. It's just some weird analogy.

--Greg