Options
2»

Comments

• CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    PGLGreg said:

tumour
    Once upon a time, English [u] was diphthongized to become [yu], and subsequently a long [o] was raised to become [u] (replacing the original [u]). The spelling convention using "ou" for [u] and "u" for [yu] is, I think, influenced by French spelling. But after "t/d/n" in American English, the [y] of [yu] was lost, leaving just the [u]. Thus "due" is [dyu] in British English, from earlier [du], but [du] in American English, also from earlier [du], but then [dyu], and subsequently [du] (by loss of [y] after t/d/n).

In the second, unstressed, syllable of "tumour", I don't see how the spelling difference "ou" British vs. "o" American can ever have had any connection with the pronunciation. I guess the vowel in Latin was long o, which, if it were stressed, in English would have been raised to [u], and then should be spelled "ou". But since it actually is not stressed, it would not have been raised to [u], so the "ou" spelling doesn't make any sense, so far as I can see. It's just some weird analogy.

--Greg

Hmmm...
    After all of that explanation, Greg.... I can answer your question for you :)

The "ou" spelling doesn't make any sense as far as you can see because.... well, you are American :) 'Nuff said :)

Cheryl
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Buckwirth said:

Spell Check
    Usually there is a setting where you can choose American English or British English. That would fix the Canuck spelling issues.

:)

ROTFL! Buck!
    It's true.... anyone can go into their Spellcheck and choose American English or British English :) Now... if all you 'Mericans would change to British English, you'd finally be speaking and spelling properly :)

Cheryl
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

ROTFL! Buck!
    It's true.... anyone can go into their Spellcheck and choose American English or British English :) Now... if all you 'Mericans would change to British English, you'd finally be speaking and spelling properly :)

Cheryl

Aluminium
    Aluminum

Always one of my personal favs
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options

Hmmm...
    After all of that explanation, Greg.... I can answer your question for you :)

The "ou" spelling doesn't make any sense as far as you can see because.... well, you are American :) 'Nuff said :)

Cheryl

lol......
    one for Cheryl..........