Preparing for Surgery

RonB
RonB Member Posts: 45 Member
edited May 29 in Prostate Cancer #1

I am currently scheduled for DaVinci XI assisted prostatectomy in July. I'm trying to prepare for surgery and try to set some expectations for post-surgery (eating, clothing, mobility, incontinence, etc.) If anyone is willing to share your experiences it would be greatly beneficial. We are traveling to California for the surgery and will be in a hotel room for a couple of weeks while I'm waiting for catheter removal and then follow-up with my surgeon. Again, any insights or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks for the consideration.

Comments

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member

There have been some excellent posts on this topic on this forum.

Unfortunately, I can't remember who posted them, but the SEARCH function should show many responses, including some very good ones.

• RonB

Thanks @Old Salt. I haven't had much luck with the search engine but I'll keep plugging away

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,148 Member

Hi,

I had a robotic assisted surgery back in 2014. To answer your questions, wear loose fitting clothing for the first few weeks while the catheter is in. Bring extra clothes in case you have accidents. Eating lean meats, veggies & fruits is always a good thing surgery or no surgery. I would keep active by walking even with the catheter still in, walking up and down the hallways of the hotel would be good exercise. I feel staying active is good and just laying around is bad. In my case I used maximum Depends for a few weeks and then moved to a light pad later on. I slept on a sofa with my catheter in, it was more comfortable for me and my bag “friend” closer to the ground. Start your Kegals before your surgery and ask your doctor when to resume after surgery, gotta let things heal.

Dave 3+4

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,700 Member

Hi,

I recall being recommended to walk starting two days after prostatectomy. In my case, I walked along the corridors of the hospital with attached catheter+urine sac (very inconvenient) but if you stay in a hotel give preferences to one with large open outside areas/gardens.

Below is a link with some instructions that you may find it good to read.

Best of luck in your journey.

VG

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/prostatectomy/about/pac-20385198

• RonB

Thanks so much Dave. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

• RonB

Thank you

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member
  • centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 321 Member

I only had a HoLEP procedure, which was prostate surgery but with no incisions. I had bought a huge bag of Simply Popcorn for when I woke up and it was so.****.good.

Don’t be afraid to treat yourself a little, is the moral of the story. Been dying to buy a pair of bunny slippers? Now is the time, my friend.

• RonB

Thanks for your insight and thanks for the smile. It's greatly appreciated.

• Marlon
    Marlon Member Posts: 84 Member

I was thinking of asking the same questions, especially the tips on clothes. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good reference book on post-surgery recovery?

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 605 Member

just got done with surgery. Iwhat six or seven weeks ago so I was up walking the corridors. Surgery was done at 1030 am up walking around at 230 pm ..no eating restrictions i had a tuna melt salad juice ice cream and cookies was released the following morning. I was walking my sons dog around the neighborhood about 5 times a day second night havd staek and bake potatoes ..had my forst bowel movement on thurday morning ….. It is hard getting up and down the first two days or three days I wore a leg bag during the day and then at night I use the night bag and I just basically hung it up the side of my bed. They gave me three day bags three night bags. I didn’t have to clean the bags just clean the tip of the penis down two to three times a day with the wipe, I went to UCLA had surgery on Monday. Flew back home to the Bay Area on Thursday was walking around doing everything was able to sleep on my side by the third day catheter came out on the seventh day by my primary doctor and I have been leaking quite a bit other than that really wasn’t a big deal .

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 164 Member

Like Steve they had me walking right away. For me, pain was minimal, Tylenol the first day or two, then nothing. Some people get real pain meds. I did have an issue with gas pains when I got home but, once I broke wind I was good. Aside from limitations with catheter, was easy recovery. Able to work on computer from home while not driving. Removed catheter myself. I was very fortunate to be mostly continent immediately. Initially only leaked during exercise, sneeze while walking or drinking too much. Now 100% continent.

Good luck

• RonB

Thanks so much @Rob.Ski. Very encouraging and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

• lesjanes
    lesjanes Member Posts: 61 Member

Timely note for me as well. I also have DaVinci scheduled mid July. Hoping to have catheter out after 7 days. I have a northwoods vacation planned 10 days after surgery. I would rather be leaking in the serenity of the Northwoods than at home. LOL. But I can't get ahead of myelf since there can always be a complication.

What is your current prognosis. ? I am 3+4 =7, appears contained.

• RonB

Thanks so much @lesjanes. We share Gleason scores and contained. The diagnosis was intermediate unfavorable I don’t have any grand plans for post-surgery aside from getting upright and moving again. Looking forward to getting on to this new normal.

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 605 Member

where are you having surgery..i went to UCLA

• RonB

UC Irvine

• lesjanes
    lesjanes Member Posts: 61 Member

For those of you who already had surgery, how long did the swelling in your scrotum last?