Missing items from RALP Discharge Summary

Options
Rob518
Rob518 Member Posts: 1 Member

I thought I would offer these notes and tips that seemed to be missing from my discharge instructions, to those that come after me:

+ Days 1-3

+ + Waking up in the recovery room ……. I awoke without fanfare, flashing lights or sirens. For this I thanked my lucky stars without complaint. Everything else, come what may. 

+ + Getting up from bed 

+ + + Roll on to side.  Push up with arm while swinging legs down  (using legs as counterweights)

+ + Eating

+ + + In my instructions it said, “no dietary restrictions”. I took this to mean, ‘ding, ding, ding, you hit the lottery, go ahead eat as before’. When I got home, for 2 days I ate like there was no tomorrow. Then I realized (too late) that things weren’t passing through as before. Consequently I was bloated and all abdominal discomfort was magnified. The moral, pay attention to the fine print where it says break up your food into smaller, more frequent mini-meals.

+ + + Try chicken soup 

+ + Coughing, sneezing and other abrupt breathing episodes will cause discomfort (pain) in the abdomen area. If you can it try holding a small pillow on your belly prior to one of these events. This should dampen and distribute the disturbance over a wider area. In absence of a pillow, a towel, a blanket or even your hands will help. 

+ Days 1-7

+ + Sleeping positions 

There’s not much choice here:

+ On your back

+ On your back with 2-4 pillows under the upper part of your body  to make a wedge to prop you up a bit. This can help with abdominal and/back pain 

+  You can try some rolled up towels on each side acting as arm rests

+  Perhaps a pillow under one or two knees at times

+ At some point, for me it was day 5 or 6, you might be able to snare some rest on your side. Try this with a pillow or towel between your knees

One thing is for sure. What might work for an hour or two, might not work for an 8 hour stretch. Be prepared to keep changing it up (so should your care giver)

+ + Swollen scrotum

Early on I found it strange when wearing underwear because the catheter was pulled sideways. So I went commando for a couple of days. When my scrotum got big, however I reversed that strategy I went back to underwear finding the benefit outweighed the cost. 

Other notes

I found it beneficial to give up the pattern of a more normal circadian rhythm (24 hour) clock. This meant for me not to worry about bed times or even how long I slept for at a time. 

My catheter comes out in 3 days. I am so looking forward to that. 

Does anyone have any edits or additions?

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

Hi,

After my surgery I had lots of gas that kept my appetite down for a couple of days. I did better sleeping on the couch which kept all the cath stuff closer to the ground. It helped me to do “laps” inside my house several times a day to work out the gas and stay active. The strangest part before they discharged me was pulling out the drain in my side, very odd feeling internally. I was lucky, had very little pain through the whole thing and no infections or need for the high power Tylenol. I did have bruising on my shoulders from the inverted position during surgery. Removing the cath was one of the highlights of the whole ordeal.

Dave 3+4

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to post these recommendations.