Second Breast Cancer

Options
caclegal
caclegal Member Posts: 3 Member

I was diagnosed and treated for stage IIIB HER2 positive breast cancer 14 years ago. I had a complete pathologic response to the ACTH chemo, but was left with permanent side effects, several of which are quite painful. I have just been diagnosed with stage IIIB triple negative breast cancer in my remaining breast. My problem is that I have seen 2 oncologists and both are recommending chemo with the same or same class of drugs that almost killed me in 2010. One wants to use 5 different drugs, 3 of which cause the same side effects I still have. I am particularly concerned that all three of the new drugs cause peripheral neuropathy which is one of my permanent side effects for which I still must take pregabalin to keep the pain at a manageable level. Has anyone gone through anything like this? I am coming apart and have no idea where to turn for help in making a decision as to whether or not I should even accept the chemo treatment.

Comments

• RocDocVic
    RocDocVic Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options

That's very odd that the first was HER2 Positive and now you have triple negative. What was the previous ER/PR readings? Positive or negative? Also, not sure of your chemo drugs, don't know that acronym. I'm ER/PR negative and HER2 3+ They're proposing Taxotere along with Herceptin and Perjeta

• RocDocVic
    RocDocVic Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options
  • caclegal
    Options

My first cancer was Er/PR negative and HER2+. I had 4 infusions of Adriamycin and cyclophosphamide over 3 months. The next 3 months I was to have Taxotere for 4 infusions and Herceptin for a full 12 months. They had to stop the Taxotere after the first 2 infusions because of the neuropathy and the fact that my blood work was not returning to acceptable levels. I did continue the full year of Herceptin. I am now seeing my second oncologist, but she refuses to give me the Adriamycin/cyclophosphamide at all even after stating that is what she would use the first time I saw her. Her only reasoning when I asked her why the change was: I am just not comfortable with it. No reason given for the about face. Now she wants to give me paclitaxel and carboplatin every week for 12 weeks along with Keytruda every three weeks for a year. I am terrified of the paclitaxel because I already have serious permanent neuropathy from the Taxotere 14 years ago and still take pregabalin daily just to keep the pain mostly bearable. There is also the fact that in addition to the Paclitaxel, the Keytruda and Carboplatin can also cause peripheral neuropathy and a host of really dangerous side effects. I am about ready to just not have any treatment. She won't give me the drugs that worked last time and produced a complete pathologic response in just 3 months and I'm not willing to risk further damage to my already seriously damaged nerves. I really have nowhere to turn, but thanks so much for your reply.

• caclegal
    Options

This is a second opinion. The first doc would give me the AC but also wants to give me the paclitaxel, carboplatin and Keytruda. I am 72 years old and don't think that I can survive the regimen these two doctors are pushing.