Another newly diagnosed

Options
cverive
cverive Member Posts: 2 Member

hello, diagnosed with endometrial endometrioid carcinoma FIGO grade 1. I know it’s common and usually the hysterectomy will be all I need. But. Still scared and overwhelming. I am scheduled for my robotic total hysterectomy on 8/21. I am fortunate that my care team is very responsive and so far have been helpful. I will be having my procedure at the University of Michigan women’s hospital (tough for a Spartan Fan). What are some things I should prepare for before and after the surgery. Probable day surgery. How long is recovery and how soon can I return to a desk job? I know it all depends on what happens during surgery just looking for things to Expect. I am 64 and an over thinker with high anxiety. I just want this out of me.

Comments

• labilodeau4_
    labilodeau4_ Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I also have endometrial and had a total hysterectomy and I was feeling better in a couple of weeks

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

cverive, I am glad you found us and there are wondeful warriors and their loved ones here to support you.

Returning to work after surgery? It depends. I had the robotic surgery and the first hurdle was being able to drive which meant being off all pain medication and being able to stomp my foot (stomp the brake on the car). I started back part time after two weeks, and I would add I don't know if you have ever had surgery before, but this is major surgery and you really do not want to over do it. When they say no lifting anything over 5 or 10 lbs, you really want to follow that. I will also add that I had an office job which probably helped my ability to be able come back part time that quickly.

One of the posts that is pinned to the top of the page are links to older posts that have a lot of information, but I copied the link for the Tips for Surgery and After below:

I suspect the gynecologic oncologist's office will have specific details leading up to, but you may find additional testing will include a chest x-ray, dye-contrast CT, maybe something more. I saw someone just posted about showering with a special soap the night before and morning of surgery, and I did that myself. I also remeber having to drink a bowel prep the day before and the best advice given to me by a friend on that was "if you think you feel like you are going to fart, go to the bathroom". Hope that isn't too crude for anyone here.

Please keep us posted.

• cverive
    cverive Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Thank you!!! I may have the option of working from home after two weeks but if not I have almost six weeks of PTO I can use. I’m just worried about my mental sanity, I’d go stir crazy in a hot minute. I have my pre-op testing Tuesday, Chest X-ray, EKG and full blood panel and CA125. I have had many surgeries so I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. This all happened so fast my head is spinning, but I am trying not to over stress until I have something to worry about. One day at a time. I am a single mom of a special needs (Down syndrome) adult so I worry about her a lot.

• bav
    bav Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

@cverive Sorry to hear you have joined us here, but glad you are reaching out for support. I was impatient to get back to work after my robotic hysterectomy and needed to be reminded by my oncologist and family that this is "major surgery." The doctor had planned for me to go home the same day, but I was hurting (mild) when I woke up and also it took me a while to urinate, so I stayed overnight -- I remember waking the next morning and feeling so much better.

It took at least ten days, and probably closer to two weeks before I felt like I was fully functioning -- not yet driving, but at least walking around more easily. During that time I could work on my laptop from home but also took long naps. Moving around wasn't easy initially and I clutched a pillow to be belly for support. Relearning when (and how!) to go to the bathroom was also part of recovery. "Stay ahead of the pain" was good advice in terms of taking medication on schedule -- while pain meds were prescribed I was able to switch to OTC stuff within a couple of days. Soft foods and soft clothes helped - and ultimately, it was rest that helped me recover. Last note -- in the months after surgery, be sure to ask about whether and how to massage the scars to avoid problems later with scar tissue.