The wheels are in motion

Options
Icantbelieveit
Icantbelieveit Member Posts: 27 Member
edited September 2023 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

Saw the GYN onc today, I need labs next week because I am diabetic and I'm going to have a CT chest/abdomen/pelvis with contrast on Aug 8, then I need to get an appointment w/my PCP to get clearance for surgery and having a robotic hysterectomy (everything) on Aug 29.

My postop for the D&C is this coming Tuesday, still bleeding and the pelvic exam I had today didn't help.

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Sounds like yes, the wheels are in motion. I remember having the chest x-ray and dye contrast CT myself prior to surgery. Hang in there Icantbelieveit. We are here.

• Prayer2023
    Prayer2023 Member Posts: 33 Member
    Options

We are here for you!! I’m going to get my (before surgery) CT this morning. Hopefully, I will get the results within a few days. I have to say, I’m a little scared to look at the results.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Sounds like everything is being done. Don't wait to make the appointment with your PPC. Make it now. It is getting harder to get appointments, that way you will already have it. It's a hard time right now. I hope you can stay busy. Make sure all your doctors know about the continuing bleeding.

• Icantbelieveit
    Options

Yes, the PCP is the one I'm worried about, I am off tomorrow and I'm going to call first thing in the morning and tell them I'll see anyone in the practice, I just need a surgical clearance.

• Icantbelieveit
    edited August 2023 #6
    Options

Yesterday was my lucky day - I snagged an appointment at last minute with the physician's assistant in the practice, she did an A1c to go along with the labs I already did and they did an EKG on me, which was normal. Surgical clearance is done. Just have the CT scan and barring any new developments with that, then on the 15th I have a pre-surgical appointment with the surgical optimization team, then it's go time on the 29th.

My postop with the regular GYN was odd, he was very sad looking. He did show me the pictures he took and clearly black areas in the polyp (?) I guess that's what we're calling it. The GYN oncologist will be taking over, of course. The bleeding is still going, I will be glad to get the hysterectomy done. I bought another supply of pads because what I have isn't going to last...I probably sound crazy but I swear I can smell the cancer in the blood. TMI but I'm convinced. When my dog had cancer I could smell it in him too.

• Forherself
    Options

I'm glad you have everything so organized. One thing I have learned on this board, everyone is different. Maybe you can smell cancer. Dogs can. Some people can smell color. I hope you don't smell it after the surgery! Good luck.

• Icantbelieveit
    Options

CT scan is done and results back - nothing surprising and most garden variety, which is fine by me. No suspicious lesions on any organs, no enlarged lymph nodes (but they'll still be taking lymph at the hysterectomy for pathology) and no bone lesions/issues. Just gallstones, kidney stones and probably have another goiter on my right lobe of thyroid (left removed due to goiter over 20 years ago). From what I see, this won't really change the plan so now I just have the presurgical appointment and then the surgery itself. Bleeding has finally stopped from the D&C a month ago, so that's better.

• Forherself
    Options

Well that is good news. No lesions seen. And I'm glad the bleeding stopped. Sounds like you are all organized. I hope the surgery is soon. Waiting is hard.

• Icantbelieveit
    edited August 2023 #10
    Options

Presurgical appointment is done. I haven't had major surgery ever in my life (other than my thyroidectomy) but they are very concerned with nutrition and movement prior to and after, which I think is pretty cool.

They gave me high protein Ensure to drink 3 times a day for 4 days prior to surgery and a bottle of high-carb Ensure to drink the morning of surgery at least 2 hours prior to arrival at the hospital. I got an incentive spirometer to do deep breathing daily before and after surgery and the nurse said to be sure to get movement every day prior to surgery and really try to keep moving afterward - laying in bed is not what I need to be doing.

I feel prepared and ready for all of this - continuing to think positively that this will be all I need. If not, I will deal with that when they tell me.

• Forherself
    Options

It's nice to be able to feel confident about this. You CAN do this. Following your doctor recommendations after surgery will ensure you have the best outcome. Good luck.

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

Wow, I do wish I had done this before surgery. I should have moved more so I am truly thrilled for you.

• Icantbelieveit
    Options

Back to update. Had the hytsterectomy 2 days ago on the 29th, had to stay overnight because my blood pressure went pretty low toward the end of surgery. Came home last night and I honestly feel pretty great. The gas is better the more I'm up and moving and I'm taking Gas-X of course. No pain. Yesterday the gas pain was really hitting in the collarbone/shoulder area. I have 5 port sites.

I had a "tiny" uterus. Ovaries, fallopian tubes, cervix and a couple of nodes taken for specimen. Pathology still pending on the organs and nodes, but the pelvic washings came back today negative for malignancy. Things are looking good.

• Forherself
    Options

I'm so glad to hear your surgery is behind you and your recovery is going well. It's hard waiting for the pathology report. I'm glad to hear only a couple of nodes were taken. IF they think there might be a problem, they remove more. So that is promising. Thanks for coming back and letting us know you are ok.

• Icantbelieveit
    edited September 2023 #15
    Options

I am 2 weeks out from surgery and feel okay and have my postop appointment Friday. The tissue pathology came back as no residual cancer in any organs and no sign of cancer in the 1 lymph node they took. They state that all the carcinoma was actually taken during the hysteroscopy/D&C and submitted at that time. Interestingly, the following was also found:

• Additional uterine polyp
    • 4 uterine fibroids
    • Cyst in the uterus
    • Both tubes with cysts (15 on one, 17 on the other)
    • Both ovaries full of cysts
    • Endometriosis along with adhesions from the endometriosis

I'm glad it's all out, as any of that could have gone bad at any time, and also these issues answer a lot of questions for me regarding my GYN issues in the past and also possibly why I was never able to have children. When I was younger, PCOS was not a "thing" and I just always accepted that I wasn't meant to have kids, so I never pursued the infertility part.

Staging was pT1a, category pN0, FIGO stage I (I assume a)

• Prayer2023
    Prayer2023 Member Posts: 33 Member
    Options

So happy on your results! Please let us know what your treatment plan is. I go back for my second post-op appointment next Monday. I’m struggling with a suggestion from my oncologist to get brachytherapy. I’ve heard so many bad short/long term bad side effects. God bless!

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options

good news!

• Icantbelieveit
    Options

There will be no further treatment at this time, just followup visits with the nurse practitioner. My case is scheduled for the medical group's tumor board for next week - they will evaluate the case now that the pathology is back and if there are any further recommendations they will be made then and communicated to me, but he specifically said this was "very, very early" and that as of now they will see me 4 times this first year, 3 times years 2 and 3, and twice a year for years 4 and 5 to monitor for recurrence. He stated that although they regard the surgery to be the "cure" for my situation, you cannot know without a doubt that there is NO cancer anywhere else in my body or that a recurrence will never occur. I have another appointment in 3 weeks for another postop followup. He looked at my incisions - they looked great and he said he was pleased with the pathology.

When I first got referred to this surgeon, I wasn't too happy because he doesn't practice out of the hospital that is convenient to me, but out of the medical group that does practice where I am he had the soonest appointment available (the 2 others had initial appointments not available until November!) and while it isn't right around the corner, I'm glad I ended up with this guy.

• Forherself
    Options

I was in the same boat 5 years ago. The odd thing is for that pathology and stage, treatment does not reduce the risk of recurrence. It is low but it is still there. I am 5 years out after no treatment. I'm glad it worked out for you with the doctor. I am on yearly exams now. The risk of recurrence is never zero.

• Mercorby
    Mercorby Member Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Great results! Go do everything wonderful that you want to do. This is really a lovely thing to hear.

Corby

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

There is a risk to everything. Yes, some people have had harsh side effects while others have not. I have had both external (IMRT) - 25, and brachy - 3, treatments over 11 years ago. You always have the option to choose if you want it or not. I would encourage you to talk about it with the office.