Multiple Myeloma Stem Cell Transplant

Options
Byronius
Byronius Member Posts: 2 Member
edited November 2023 in Multiple Myeloma #1

I’ve been recently diagnosed with mm at age 67. Must now decide whether to get a stem cell transplant. My doctor says because of so many new treatments coming out, I could go either way. For those who did or did not get a stem cell transplant… how did it go for you?

Comments

• steb40
    steb40 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

it takes allot out of you..Im on day 28 and still feel nausea

• acebass
    acebass Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 MM at age 66. Originally planned on Stem Cell, but had to get Chemo. Really rough at first - got dementia, but recovered. Ended up on Velcade/Revlamid. Been in Remission 10 years. Main side effect - severe neuropathy.

• rjmuell
    rjmuell Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

I'm 67 and also went thru chemo(velcade)treatments along with revlimid. I also now have severe neuropathy in both feet and minor in fingers from side effect of velcade. Did u find anything that is helping you with neuropathy? I've tried so many things with little to no success. I also went thru stem cell transplant. They now want to put me on a maintenance plan. Does anyone have recommendations on this?

• Rosiedoch
    Rosiedoch Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

My husband is 8 months since stem cell and is on revlamid maintenance plan. No reaction in his hands and feet. He’s only been on it for 2 months, but took a higher dose prior to his transplant. His biggest struggle is the impact on his platelets, but they are monitoring them and unless they get below 30,000 he will stay on it. His biggest issue is still the pain in his lower back which may be due to the cancer destroying his bones. Waiting for a PET scan to insure the cancer hasn’t come back, but hopefully the pain is not due to that. I’d go with the maintenance plan and hopefully you have a good medical team for support!🙂

• MMcaregiver
    MMcaregiver Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Hi there

My husband had a stem cell transplant at 47, and says he would do it again if needed. Yes, it was hard, but he has had 4 1/2 years of being in remission. His numbers did Spike ip a bit last time at labs, but we know it can be par off course. We are just grateful for the success he has had this far.

We talked with his doctors a ton about options, and felt comfortable with this route.

Please feel free to ask any more transplant specific questions. Also, bmtinfonet.org has some excellent resources too.

• jfk603
    jfk603 Member Posts: 3 *
    Options

I was diagnosed in 2020 and elected to skip the stem cell transplant because of the number of new, more targeted treatments that have been approved since. I had RVD therapy for about six months and it did a great job of bringing me into remission. I also struggle with neuropathy in my feet and (minimally) my fingers. I have since been on a maintenance dose of Revlimid and Dexamethasone, both in a lower does than my induction treatment. I have not yet needed any of the newer treatments because the Revlimid/Dex combo has been working well for me

But as I write this, I was also just recently diagnosed with HPV+SCC (tonsil cancer) and I am scheduled for surgery next week. I don’t know whether this is related to my Myeloma treatment or whether the outcome would have been different if I had the stem cell transplant. If I learn anything further about this question, I will add to the post.