Stage 1Breast Cancer

Options
lmccoy77
lmccoy77 Member Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I had a lumpectomy in July 22 and was diagnosed with Stage 1 ILC in Aug. I opted for a double mastectomy with expanders (currently still in). 5 nodes were taken out and all considered clear. My oncotype score was 15, so no radiation or chemo. Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• cowgirlup
    cowgirlup Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I was diagnosed with early stage 1 ILC on left side by mammogram in mid Dec. #1 time I hear "that's a less common type, only 10-15% get". Lumpectomy was the plan as it was a very small spot. But lets do an MRI but #2 so rare for it to be in both breasts. MRI....found three very small spots on the right side. (My Mom had IDC at 59, post menopausal, no chemo) Two of those spots were ILC, one was not. It is neuroendocrine carcinoma. #3 Rare to find in the breast. Biopsied and it "acts" like a breast cancer with E and P positive receptors as well a HER2 negative. Dr "confident" it's a primary breast cancer. Two surgeons have done a palpation check on lymph nodes and "fairly certain by feel" that there "shouldn't be any lymph issues". Won't know that for sure til after surgery. But because it's in both breasts, which is "unusual" let's do a genetic test. Found out yesterday, I carry the BRCA2 gene mutation. Genetic counselor says #4 "I had no expectation based on your history that you would be positive" My mom was never tested but is going to be. No other extended family on her side with cancer except a great aunt but wasn't even sure what kind she had. My dad passed when he was 85 but never had any cancer but his brother did. I've been in touch with cousins on both sides. I have a CT scan on Friday. I hope I don't light up like a Christmas tree!

I am waiting on my surgery date for a double mastectomy with expanders. How are you doing with yours? With the BRCA2, I also now get to look forward to getting my ovaries and tubes out. As with you, I'll have the oncotype test and make determinations for post care.

• lmccoy77
    lmccoy77 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Oh my! You have a lot going on. Sorry to hear about the positive BCRA. Mine came back negative. Went down a crazy road with my expanders but I’m pleased with the results. My (hopefully) last surgery will be Feb 28 for implants and skin grafting. It you would like to connect let me know:)

• cowgirlup
    cowgirlup Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

yes, that'd be great! Every risk/question that is listed for possible BRCA gene was a"no"....but this journey has been tough as I have hit every exception or rarity that there is....