Just Saying Hello

Annabelle41415
Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
edited February 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi everyone. I know it has been a long time since I've been on. For those of you who don't know me, I had rectal cancer and went through radiation and chemo, surgery, and then more chemo. I just want you to know that this is a wonderful group that helped me get through many situations. If you want to read about my story and what I've been through you can find it in the "About Me" section of this group.

I left the site because of the way it was set up. It was too hard for me to try to figure out who was commenting last and just didn't like the way the formatting was. I had been on the site for 12 and 1/2 years and it felt time for me to move on and let go of being on here everyday. 

Thanksgiving has always been very Bittersweet for me as it was the day before Thanksgiving 2008 that I had my first colonoscopy because of rectal bleeding. It was then that I knew I had cancer. Going through Thanksgiving dinner with my family was so difficult. It has been 14 years today and I am here all these years later being thankful for every day, week and year. 

I have been well and outside of neuropathy and bathroom issues (still), I'm living life with some limitations.  

I had a colonoscopy this summer and they found 2 polys, the first ones since the original findings in 2008. 1 was normal, the other was one they felt could have turned into cancer. I go back in 3 years.

I think of this group often and keep you deep in thought and prayer. Wishing the best for all of you and just know that this is a group that you can count on for almost any question that you could ever have.

I hope the older members that were on when I was are doing well, and wishing the best for the new members.

Wishing everyone the best in this journey. After 14 years, it's a Blessing to be able to come back on here and tell you I'm still here.

Happy Thanksgiving and may you have a Blessed day with family, friends, food and lots of love.

Hugs to you all,

Kim

Comments

• cgsagrillo
    cgsagrillo Member Posts: 8 Member

Hi, Kim. Your words are so encouraging and I’m so happy you’ve been staying healthy after everything you went through. My husband was diagnosed the day before Xmas last year, and the holidays are making us emotional too. He has just had the APR surgery and has been having some minor issues, but I’m confident he will feel better soon. God willing I can write a post like yours in 10 years on this forum! Hope you are enjoying your life. All the best.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

I took a long break, as well, and for the same reason. I just can't get on with this new layout.

But, I'm trying to add my two pennies worth a bit more, and conquer the format.

I'm sure your recent run in with some polyps, was quite stressful. Hopefully they plucked them off, and you're good to go for those three years, onward.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Christmas! May we all see, many more.

Tru

• Annabelle41415

Hi Tru: So good to see your post. I remember the days when the site was just flooded with active users. There are still so much information on here. I guess I haven't poked around this new site to see if the "About Me" page is even here anymore. I always loved looking at people's profiles. Thank you for your post and hope you are well. Merry Christmas.

• Annabelle41415

Welcome to the club that no one wants to belong to but you have joined an awesome group. I'm sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis and like I said above, I pray for this group always so I'm praying that he heals quickly from his recent surgery and that he continues to improve. There is a wealth of information on this board with a lot of people that have gone through the same, or similar, situation as your husband. Please remember to take care of yourself as well as being a caregiver sometimes is hard than being a patient.

Kim

• gma51
    gma51 Member Posts: 1 Member

Hi - I'm new to this group, having been diagnosed just last week with colorectal cancer. I have surgery on December 13. I moved from a neighboring state to Texas 6 months ago to be nearer to my daughter and her family. I know very few people and I feel very alone. This group is a godsend -- and especially to read positive messages from survivors! I look forward to many conversations to come.

• pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member

Hi Annabel and Trubit. I recognize both of you from when I was active on this site. I was diagnosed in January 2007. Stage III colon cancer. Three lymph nodes positive. Chemo, radiation and then surgery. Stage IA breat cancer diagnosis 2011. Not related. Lumpectomy and radiation.

would love to comment and revisit here from time to time. But the site is not user friendly.

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member

Hi Annabelle! So nice to hear from you again. You have come a long way since your diagnosis and hope you keep going. I to miss the old site…so much easier to read and follow. I come by to see how things are and hope to help if I can. Take care and don’t forget to drop in once in awhile.

• Trubrit

Hi pamness - I remember you as well.

It would be lovely to hear from you, but agree, the site is not user friendly, and kept me a way for a while, as well.

It boggles my mind, when I hear about people suffering through two separate Cancer diagnosis. I am so glad that you have come out the other side. What a fighter, you are.

Tru

• Trubrit

I think the About Me section, is still available, though I think that our old friends, not long passed, have lost their FB profiles, which is terribly sad.

All is as well as to be expected, on this end. I had a massive heart attack, back in February, and it has been a trial, getting over it. But, we do what we have to do, and bully on.

I hope you are well and happy.

Tru

• Annabelle41415

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It's never easy to hear those 3 words, but with strength and this group you can get through it. I'm glad that you are going to be near your daughter during all of this. I'm sure she is glad you are near so she can keep an eye on you and just the moral support is going to be a Blessing. This group is a wonderful group and don't ever hesitate to ask questions, as we have talked about everything. Wishing for a very successful surgery and a complete recovery.

Kim

• Annabelle41415

Oh my goodness Tru, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope that you are recovering well. I hope that you continue to improve and praying for you. You have always been such an inspiration on this board and have given so much advice so I'm glad that you are continuing to post now and then because all the older members seem to have left or don't post much anymore, including myself.

Hugs to you, Kim

• Annabelle41415

Hi: I'm glad to see an older member here as well and hope that this message finds you well. I'm so glad to see your post and it's encouraging to hear that you are popping in too to see if you can be of help. I should do more of that but I sure needed that break. Wishing you the best and hopefully I'll see you back on here again.

Hugs! Kim

• Annabelle41415

Hi Pam: I remember you as well and I'm sorry to hear of the additional cancer, but it sounds like you are doing well and I'm so glad to see you here after all this time. It's not easy going through one cancer diagnosis, let alone two. I'm glad you come on the board to see what is happening as well, but totally agree that this site is definitely not user friend. Sometimes they should leave well enough alone because most changes are not as good as the original. Wishing you the best in the future.

Hugs! Kim

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member

Hey its Helen. Glad to see you on here. This new setup is TERRIBLE. I wish they would stop changing this constantly. Clearly designed by a young person who doesn't understand that we make personal connections and don't want to just read like we're science experiments. I came on to see how everyone is doing but I can't even see who's actually on here. It's useless.

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member

Oh good Lord, I had no idea. Sorry atrubrit. Life just brings constant worries after cancer. I'm glad you are recovering I'm not sure who has passed recently. This new board is an unfriendly disgrace. Why would anyone do this?

• Trubrit

Hi Helen. It is always good to see you popping in.

I hope 2023 is good to you and your family.

Tru

• Annabelle41415

Hi Helen: I remember you well and hope all is good. Yes, this setup is terrible and very un user friendly. It was good to see your post.

• ron72
    ron72 Member Posts: 4 Member

Hi Anabelle, I remember you well. I have come back to visit. You knew me as Ron50 I am now Ron 72. Ihad stage 3c colon cancer with 6 nodes involved. I was originally given three years maximum to live due to the aggressive nature of the cancer and the number of lymph glands involved. This month I reach 25 years of cancer survival. I'm still living on the Sunsine coast in Queensland Australia. I retired late in 2001 from my job as a sewing machine mechanic after 57 years work. I don't miss it! I live alone and suffer from a lot of ill health passed on to me from cancer, chemo and other byproducts of surviving cancer. Cheers Ron.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member

Hi Kim, nice to see your smiling avatar again.It's hard to track the passage of time in general, but it feels like quite a stretch since folks like you, Helen, Pam, Chip, and now Ron have popped in. I might go a couple months myself, between comments, but getting an Email helps remind me to check in. The format changes messed with the sense of 'place' we once had, but what can you do? Anyway, it's heartening to hear from all of you..............................Dave

• Annabelle41415

Hi Dave: So glad to see you posting. You were always so encouraging to everyone and took the time to respond - which you did here. Yes, this format is terrible and I had a hard time trying to find your post on here to respond to you. Once again, glad to see your post and hope that you are doing well.

Kim