Options

Comments

• tinadukes
    tinadukes Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Get a

new Doctor and why did they wait so

long to

operate on you .. I was operated on 2 weeks later .go to and oncologist that is easy to talk to kind and supportive, sometimes a woman is better

• Faith Helen
    Faith Helen Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I so appreciate all of these comments. 7 years in and supposedly "lucky" I still don't know how to feel. Healthwise, the years since my diagnosis have sucked. One problem after another, too many to describe. I'm healthy, yes, I guess but I hate the doctor more and more. I feel the new normal will be periods of peace followed by fear. I'm 60 - can I have normal aches and pains without thinking the cancer is in my bones? Thank you, Dreaming! You sound very wise. For most of the time since I got cancer, I didn't want to talk about it, call myself a "survivor" or think about it anymore then I had to. I told few people and never bring it up...

Feels like leprosy..... Anyway, I'm glad I found this board. It's warming to hear from all of you out there. Peace

• dreaming
    dreaming Member Posts: 26 Member
    Options

You need a new doctor, that was a very long wait for surgery, are you in the USA or a country with socialized medicine where the normal usually is the long time to get surgery or treated.

• Faith Helen
    Options

Agreed! You can def get a new doctor. Important you feel comfortable and trusting. I moved after my dx and surgery (out of state) established with a new doctor and well was never comfortable....moved again so going there was a long drive. But where I live now it's all a long drive, so I decided to drive 2hrs to Dartmouth Hitchcock medical center and get top notch care.

• tinadukes
    Options

I’ve been on Anastrozole 3 months and have had some side affects ., muscle aches , headache , lightheaded.. Tummy issues, Can’t SLEEP , went to Dr and said takes 6 to 9 months to adjust

I’m going to heart and liver Doc to make sure there will be no long term side affects from the pill ..

when you’ve been diagnosed with BC every ache pain etc makes you wonder if something else is going on ..

• AWCass
    AWCass Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I can so relate to your ongoing fear and hesitancy to talk about it. Every time I say I'm a survivor, I feel like I'm talking about someone else, or I shudder with fear and dread as I say it gritting through a forced smile pretending to be okay with it, if not proud of it, however I'm anything but.

• CRC1
    CRC1 Member Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I am a five year survivor and I see a therapist once every month. Would love a breast cancer support group as the ugly little joke of cancer treatments it’s the gift that keeps on giving goes. Some places have support groups locally but we have none here. Would be great to group meet online? I had lumpectomy for two cancers in same breast, grade1 stage1 inc and dci. Had rads, did not require chemo, took exemestane five years. I know if I’d had support group would have been much easier. Also, I am 58 yrs old. Have many complications and struggles but I do what is necessary for my whole well being. Thank u for sharing your stories. God bless!

• Faith Helen
    Options

We're in the same boat! I'm 60. Surgery and rad 7 years ago for IDC and DCIS. No recurrence thus far, knock wood, but plenty of scare-inducing follow-up imaging to be sure. No in person support groups where I am either (mountains of northern NY) online group could be very cool. Maybe we can form one? 🌞🌻

• CRC1
    Options

Yes u could definitely count me in but would have to be someone more tech savvy than me lol. Let’s see if miss AWCas replies back to us shortly? Thanks for the reply and let’s keep in touch. Blessings to you Faith Helen!

• Faith Helen
    Options

And to you as well! Probably would involve getting a zoom account, rather than the free version, because that would allow more people to take part. Food for thought! Blessings to you also

• tinadukes
    Options

I’m very grateful .. and always being told to count my blessings .. but a pain somewhere a racing heart ❤️ etc send me to the doctor .. had an abdominal CAT scan done ..blood work and tomorrow heart doctor .. on Anastrozole ,never know if issues are due to the Anastrozole or if there is a true problem , breast cancer makes u hyper vigilant..

But I am very grateful tO God

Now oncologist wants me to take Fosomax

God bless all of you

• AWCass
    Options

Thank you so much for sharing your stories with this group! I completely hear you regarding a support group making the experience much easier to navigate. I still feel this way. I would be HONORED to start one! I have wanted to do this for some time now, and now that there seems to be a need/calling, I'm all in! Stay tuned and give me a couple of weeks, but I will 100% do this and keep this thread updated. Bless you all and thank you again for your courage to share your cancer journey.

• AWCass
    Options

I just started Fosomax a month ago. So far no side effects, other than a little grumpiness with having 30 caffeine-free minutes to start my day once a week (I say this in jest). For some reason this medication hasn't bothered me emotionally/mentally like the others have. How are you doing on this so far? I'm here for you!

• AWCass
    Options

Hi Helen, thank you for joining the conversation and for sharing your story! I would be honored to start a support group! I have wanted to for some time now, and now that there's a need/calling I am 100% all in. Give me a couple of weeks to get it going, and I will keep this thread updated. Thank you and I am here for you!

• CRC1
    Options
  • CRC1
    Options
  • CRC1
    Options

Or might b able to get free account at wordpress, not sure.

• CRC1
    Options

I found what I needed. Wanted to tell you about it. You can be matched with a peer through ACS Reach for recovery and meet with them any time for help and support. There are also groups on Facebook for cancer survivors both nationally, and state by state. Just wanted to share these resources.

• Faith Helen
    Options

Yep, I knew about the peer matching. I had actually signed up for that but then found myself hesitating when it came to scheduling a phone call. Sigh. Maybe it seemed too personal? I'll look on facebook! Have a lovely day.... :)